:toscomm: :federation: Hot News! :federation: :toscomm:

Have an issue? Submit a ticket to UFStarfleet Support! (Must be logged into the forums to use this)
or through the UFS Discord Support System (More info by clicking here!)

If you are unable to login to your Forum account for whatever reason, you can either A) Contact your Commanding Officer to have your issue submitted on your behalf to UFStarfleet Support website or B) Contact CompOps using the UFS Discord Support System.

Did you know UFS has a Discord server - join your fellow fleetmates there today - Link at the top of this page.

USS T-Durant Mission TDRP16072: "Water, Fertilizer, and Mozart" (181118)

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We support UFSA as much as we can and we provide mentorship to the JOOP & CGSD graduate programs.
We roleplay in-world on a drop-in and scheduled basis. We also add to our history and environment by writing RP Narratives, Mission Logs & Personal Stories for the UFS forum.
Inspired by the ship's namesake, the late Admiral Taylorholic Durant, crew members work to exemplify the behaviour, actions & vision of United Federation Starfleet in everything they do. Our first rule: to be kind to one another. And have fun.
Please note we practice Post Order (P.O.) and One Post in our Roleplays. For further info, contact the C.O.!

Roleplay Times: Sundays 11:15am SLT
Commanding Officer: Poison Toocool
Executive Officer: Evelyn Rieko

Moderators: Greenlantern Excelsior, Poison Toocool, Evelyn Rieko

Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: SL

USS TAYLORHOLIC DURANT
NCC 780304
LUNA CLASS
===========

Captain's Log, Stardate 181118.0033: We have received a distress call from a Talaxian freighter in Sector 004L. Apparently they are on route to S'Raris and have developed some mechanical problems. Some of the crew have been injured and the fresh produce they are carrying is under threat from unstable conditions in their hydroponics bays. We will of course change course to assist.

=^=

LCARS:
http://www.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.p ... Sector_Map
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Hydroponics
https://www.thespruce.com/should-you-ta ... ts-3972298
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160118 ... ng-to-them

=OOC================================
SIM Concept: Rhys Data Axel
Historian: Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)
====================================
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

CAST OF CHARACTERS
=============

Rhys Careli Axel (FCapt), XO/medical ((Data Axel))
Evelyn Rieko (Lt Cmdr), Acting XO/Chief Science
Quentin Foulsbane (LT), Tactical
Nems Johari (Lt JG), Security ((Knightspet))
Angus McDougal (civilian), Investor ((GreenLantern Excelsior))
Kizzy McDougal (civilian), Scientist ((Leninah))

Left to right: Rieko, Johari, Angus McDougal, Kizzy McDougal, Foulsbane (not shown - Axel)
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

RP NARRATIVE
=============

Rhys Careli Axel beams onto the freighter we got a distress signal from and looks around as people beam on. Making sure he didn't forget anything during transport

Quentin Foulsbane steps off the pad and out of the way.

Kizzy McDougal puts down her book, it was a long shot that there would be anything helpful in that old thing but it was worth the chance given the lack of other options left to try. The sound of the transporter meaning Angus must've had some success in finding some help at last! Hurries out of her office and starts to make her way down to the transporter bay.

Evelyn Rieko gets her bearings and looks around as she materializes onboard the Talaxian freighter. "Lt Nems, scan the area and report."

Nems Johari beams down onto the freighter as he looks around seeing two strange people. "Hello my name is Lieutenant JG Nems Johari we got a signal that there was distress here.' Takes out his tricorder and starts scanning the area to see what he can pick up.

Angus McDougal looks at the Starfleet members who just beamed into the transporter room. "Greetings and welcome to the freighter Bexaxx! I am Angus McDougal and this is my wife Pookie, err, Kizzy McDougal. We have some ill crew members who are in sickbay, on this level, if you want to see them. The very important cargo is two levels up in the hydroponics bay. We are having problems keeping the plants alive and we need your assistance urgently to get the systems back online."

Axel nods as he gets the greetings "Hello there. I am Doctor Axel. Here to help in any way we can. And please show the way so we can help the patients. Lt. Foulsbane is with me and you two can go help finding answers to their systems if you can"

Kizzy McDougal: "Hello, thank goodness you've arrived! How much has my dear Angus told you already? Its really good that you've arrived so quickly we had so much trouble making contact, didn't we dear?" Holds onto Angus's arm as she smiles warmly at the new friends. Giving him a sharp heel in the toe whispering to him under the smile, "I told you not in public!"

Rieko smiles at the couple and at the endearing slip of saying Pookie as his wife's name.. so cute.. Rieko says, "Greetings from the Starship Durant, we received your distress call, and we are here to help. I'm Lt. Cmdr. Evelyn Rieko, everyone has introduced themselves." She waves a hand toward the others in the away team, and then says "Nice to meet you folks." She moves forward a step, "This is my first time on a Talaxian Freighter..but I'm sure we can help with with your plants in your hydroponics bay., and with getting your systems back online." She looks to Capt. Axel hearing his orders, "Yes Sir, we will start immediately." Then looking to the couple and focusing on Angus, "I would like to take a look at your sensor logs, That would help a lot in figuring out what went wrong."

Johari: hearing Lt. Commander speak, "Sir my scans are beeping like crazy but I can't pick up exactly what is wrong." I would like to look at your engines to figure out exactly why they stopped working it could be something small or something large but I want to get to the problem immediately to help you kind folks.

Angus McDougal chats with the Starfleet team as they climb the stairs, limping a bit on the foot where Pookie stomped him. "One or two of the plants have already passed away, sadly. I have done everything I know how to do to prevent more from dying. While in transit, I have played music by Mozart in both hydroponics bays and have been careful to wear formal clothing and think happy thoughts when I'm with the plants."

Axel nods as they speak. "Sounds good, plants can hear and react to things they say. So good to be on the safe side of things."

Foulsbane stands next to the Doc, ready to move to Sickbay.

Kizzy McDougal follows Angus up the steps to the bridge motioning the others to follow behind "He does try his best with the plants he does really! Anyway this way the sensor logs are up here when we get here anyone wanting to go somewhere else I will show you the way. I'm not sure how much the logs will help but if you need an old fashioned manual description of what happened I'd be happy to help! Best keep you all together for that first though I think don't you? This way please?!" Whispers to Angus "How on earth do they navigate space !!"

Rieko smiles and listens to Angus describing how he has tried to revive and save the plants. "Yes I agree with Sr. Axel...plants are deeply affected by their environment...and Mozart is a very good healing choice of music.. I love plants and they seem to love me..so I'm confident I'll be able to help here." She turns to Nems.. "Lt. Nems, work on finding out what is wrong with the engines, to a complete analysis and give me the report."

Johari follows Kizzy up the long staircase walking to close to the edge falling off and having to climb up the stairs again coming up to the engine room. Moving closely to the engine as he starts running some diagnostic tests on the engine to see if anything he can figure out exactly what is going on

Angus McDougal looks down the stairs to see if Starfleet is on the way up. They finally arrive. "This is Number One Hydroponics Room. Number Two is across the way. As you can see, two of my precious plants have already shuffled off the mortal coil and the rest are not looking as green and vibrant as they were two days ago. These plants are extremely important for the future of the Talaxian people. They are priceless. Please help us save them!"

Axel walks into the Sickbay with Quentin and looks around at the beds and the monitors to get an overview of everything going on so he can try help them as much as he can.

Foulsbane walks in and glances around to see how many patients there are.

Kizzy McDougal sighs and guides someone at least to the bridge "Sensor logs you wanted?" Kizzy flusters and mutters at the console "Oh fiddle ! ….. I don't know why we had to have these it was just so much easier with the old system … tut tut" Displaying impatience with the tedium of the hierarchical nature of the search and lack of precision of the taxonomy "Oh bother I know what I want to find why doesn't it have to ask all these silly irrelevant questions to get there !?" Does what she usually does when frustrated by technology and scolds it harshly "You silly superfluous piece of too expensive metal and minerals come on show some worth!"

Rieko looks around the hydroponics room feeling quite at home, being a botanist as well as an astrophysicist.. She loves being around plants and studying them. She walks around taking a look at the plants.. she takes out her tricorder and starts scanning...subconsciously humming a song her mother used to sing with her when they worked in the gardens together.. She looks up suddenly, "Mr. McDougal.. may I have your ship logs and your sensor logs..I think they may help in knowing what went wrong with your freighter and what is causing the illness of some of your crew and the malfunctions to your ship."

Johari walks around the engine looks down at his tricorder scans are jumping all over the place but this diagnosis of the engine is taking forever. Taps his tricorder so slow today for some reason. If I had to guess something is broken somewhere but that's just an educated guess not pinpointing the actual problem.

Angus McDougal watches the Starfleet lady examining the plant beds. "One death in the lower bunk and another in the upper. The lower one was Louise and the upper was Robert." (he pronounces Robert with a French accent) "I thought that I would leave their bodies for an appropriate amount of time to let their countrymen mourn their passing. It has been two hours and forty-one minutes already. What do you think is an appropriate time period? At some point I will need to gently remove the corpses and conduct a proper death ceremony in front of the other plants, so the healing can begin." He walks over to a wall mounted panel and clicks a few buttons. "The ship's recent logs have been uploaded to your PADD for your review."

Axel walks over to one of the biobeds with his tricorder and does some scans to check the patient. Looking up at Quentin "Check the monitor will you? How stable does the screen show he is?" looks back down at his tricorder and does some more scans thinking what it might be that is causing the issues here.

Foulsbane: "Monitor seems to suggest stable, but physiologically stressed, Sir."

Kizzy McDougal: Looks up with some exclamation at the Starfleet officer "Oh something somewhere is broken is it? Well I worked that out and I'm a botanist! What's your specialty, presumably not engineering then hmmm? Do you have an engineer with you because, you know just a wild guess, but that might just help us find out what's wrong with and fix the engines, what do you think?" Sheds a tear and sniffle for Louise and Robert, Louise in particular though.

Rieko turns away from the plants and says, "My condolences on the passing of your plants." It seems there is a correlation between the illness of your crew members and the illness and deaths of the plants...still processing the data. Thank you for the logs."

Johari looks over to Kizzy. "We did not bring an engineer with us today I have some knowledge of being an engineer though." As he looks down at his diagnosis and finds a faulty oxygen sensor and a faulty catalytic converter. "I will be able to repair these malfunctions."

Angus McDougal continues to provide updates while watching Starfleet scanning the plants. "The lights in the bays here are emitting exactly the right energy of photons to nourish these specific plants, allowing photosynthesis at the most efficient levels. As you can see, each hydroponics room has a viewport in the ceiling that allows starlight to enter, thus increasing each plant's happiness factor. The water has been triple purified and raised to exactly the correct temperature to not cause thermal shock to my babies here. We have been feeding the appropriate plant food, which is stored, umm, around here somewhere I'm sure. The atmosphere has the precise amount of carbon dioxide that's needed for each plant's respiratory function." He tries to process what she just told him. "So you believe that whatever made the crew sick is also making the plants sick? Very interesting! I wonder why Pookie, err, Kizzy and I didn't get sick too."

Axel nods at Quentin "Understood" takes out his hypospray and some vials and starts taking samples to analyze when back on the ship. "Axel to Rieko, gotten any updates for me that might link it all or are you still searching?"

Foulsbane continues monitoring vitals on the monitor.

Kizzy McDougal smiles more happily at the officer "Good that sounds much more deterministic and constructive! Anything you need from me to help you get that done? The sooner the better because some of the nutrients the plants need depend on engine waste matter to prime them and with the engine down for so long now they're running out and as you can see we're starting to lose them!"

Rieko looks to Angus, "Yes, there is a connection between the crew and the plants' illnesses.. but the question of you and your wife not being affected to be some type of immunity you have..." She pauses and says "Excuse me" to McDougal, as she gets a message from Capt. Axel,..she taps her badge, =^= Rieko to Axel, Yes sir it seems the freighter came through an area that had a recent solar proton event that caused a high concentration of radiation. that caused the illnesses and deterioration of the plants. =^=

Johari looks over to Kizzy. "I need to know what was going on before the engine went down, maybe I can figure out why it happened like it did. How long has it been down?"

Angus McDougal hums the overture to "The Marriage of Figaro" while walking around the room. "You know, now that I think about it, I may have misplaced the plant food container. We mix the ingredients in the engine room after extracting the engine waste, and then carry them up here to the hydroponics rooms to feed the babies. Oh, here it is." He opens the container. "No, this isn't plant food. It's flavoring powder that the cook uses to add extra flavor to the crew's food. Hmm..." He looks from the container to the plants and then back to the container.

Axel hears the message coming in from Evelyn and starts to think out what to use based on the information he has gotten over the PADDs and now new information. Hyronalin 2cc and Lectrazine 1cc usually does the trick but adds some Arithrazine 5cc as well just to be on the safe side. Writes it up on his PADD and hands it over to Quentin to get it combined and injected into the crew members in the biobed and the rest of the ships crew to avoid it transmitting if it does.

Foulsbane takes the PADD, looks it over, loads the stuff into a hypo, treats each patient, and tells them if their condition doesn't improve or gets worse over the next couple days to follow up with their Primary Care Physician.

Kizzy McDougal, in an effort to help, re-traces the steps of a few nights ago for anyone that might find that useful. Placing an index finger on her chin in a thinking pose "Hmmm let me see now, this happened about 4 days ago…. I had just finished feeding the plants ….. Then I made the stew for the crew with the special flavouring …. Then I made our dinner and while the crew were eating we had our dinner in our quarters …. We had broth, Angus's favourite … the crew did a bit more work before turning in and setting autopilot ….. They were only disturbed the once when that meteor looked like it was coming close …. But we just caught its dust that was all …. And then in the morning they were all late so I went to check on them and found they were out cold. We moved them into sick bay and ran the diagnostics …sorry the medical scanners on them but that doesn't really tell us much other than they're not conscious, which we knew already. It doesn't suggest they are declining or in any danger just out cold. The plants on the other hand ! Oh dear my babies!!! They are all in real danger !!"

Rieko reads info from her PADD that Doc Axel sent to her..and feels relieved that he has found the right combination of drugs to help the crew recover.. She looks to McDougal, "We will be able to help revive most of the remaining plants. There are plants that are super at absorbing radiation..we will bring some into the hydroponics rooms, Bethall leaf plant, Chlorophytumcomosums, and Cacti. This will help in lowering radiation..and I will make a solution to feed and assist the plants and administer it as soon as possible." She runs her fingers through the ends of her hair and says, "They can be saved, don't worry."

Johari rubs his hands together. 'Time to get dirty to fix this engine, well I hope, anyways.' Looks to Kizzy, "I am not an engineer. Our engineer on the Durant is currently away, but I will do my best. Do you happen to have construction drones anywhere? If not, I can have some one from the Durant beam them in here." But he digs into the engine some more moving wires this way and that way, then jumps back up. "I was able to replace the faulty catalytic converter and upgraded the oxygen sensor."

Angus McDougal hears Kizzy doing a stream of consciousness thought experiment, and a figurative light bulb comes on above his literal head. "So, Pookie, err, dear, if I have the flavoring container here in Hydroponics, could it be possible that you have the plant food container in the galley? If the crew ate plant food containing engine waste, would that make them sick? And even more important, if my beautiful babies here ate our flavoring mix, would it make them sick too?"

Foulsbane continues monitoring the patients after they've been treated.

Kizzy McDougal: With a face turning almost white with fright at Angus's suggestion "Oh excuse me I just need to check something!" Runs down to the kitchen and grabs the flavourings bottle for the crew's stew. With a hand over her mouth screams "OMG NOOOOOOO!"

Rieko shakes her head...the radiation is definitely a factor here, but it seems the flavoring bottle exchange is also a huge part of why the crew members were sick. It also explains why the 2 of you were not affected." She bites her lip and looks sadly at McDougal, "How could such a mistake happen?" We will have to do a full investigation." She says, "This could have been carelessness...but it seems so odd.. Very strange, that you two are fine, except for slight effects of radiation." She looks at McDougal again. through narrow eyes. and says "This could definitely be foul play." She taps her badge =^= Rieko to the bridge, Captain requesting additional Security to beam down immediately. There may have been murders committed here.. Rieko out. =^=

Johari, hearing Kizzy scream at the top of her lungs, hopes someone hasn't been murdered the way she screamed. Starts to run another diagnosis on the engine to see if there is anything else that needs to be fixed, hoping that she has fixed it all.

Angus McDougal hears his Pookiekins come out with a bloodcurdling scream and runs to her side. "It's okay, dear, we can just dose the crew up with some chelating agents and it should extract the engine chemicals from their bloodstream right away. They will be right as rain within 24 hours, and then we can get back on course. Thank you, Starfleet, for looking into our problems and getting our engine running again. Maybe this will help to pay our debt to you." He uproots the two dead plants and presents them to Commander Rieko.

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

MISSION IMAGES
===============

Quentin Foulsbane (LT), Tactical

Rhys Careli Axel (FCapt), XO/medical ((Data Axel))

Evelyn Rieko (Lt Cmdr), Acting XO/Chief Science

Nems Johari (Lt JG), Security ((Knightspet))

Kizzy ("Pookie") McDougal (civilian), Scientist ((Leninah))

Angus McDougal (civilian), Investor ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Starfleet arrives aboard the good ship Bexaxx

Rieko and Angus McDonald mourn the death of Louise

Johari waits for Kizzy ("Pookie") McDougal to coax information from the reticent computer

Foulsbane and Axel scan the patient

Rieko scans the plants while Angus McDonald stands by helplessly

The bridge, and Hydroponics Room Number Two

Hydroponics Room Number One

Hydroponics Room Number One, overhead view

Bridge, overhead view

Axel and Foulsbane concoct an injectable combination of healing potions

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”