:toscomm: :federation: Hot News! :federation: :toscomm:

Have an issue? Submit a ticket to UFStarfleet Support! (Must be logged into the forums to use this)
or through the UFS Discord Support System (More info by clicking here!)

If you are unable to login to your Forum account for whatever reason, you can either A) Contact your Commanding Officer to have your issue submitted on your behalf to UFStarfleet Support website or B) Contact CompOps using the UFS Discord Support System.

Did you know UFS has a Discord server - join your fellow fleetmates there today - Link at the top of this page.

USS T-Durant Mission TDRP16068: "Collective Dreams" (181031)

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We support UFSA as much as we can and we provide mentorship to the JOOP & CGSD graduate programs.
We roleplay in-world on a drop-in and scheduled basis. We also add to our history and environment by writing RP Narratives, Mission Logs & Personal Stories for the UFS forum.
Inspired by the ship's namesake, the late Admiral Taylorholic Durant, crew members work to exemplify the behaviour, actions & vision of United Federation Starfleet in everything they do. Our first rule: to be kind to one another. And have fun.
Please note we practice Post Order (P.O.) and One Post in our Roleplays. For further info, contact the C.O.!

Roleplay Times: Sundays 11:15am SLT
Commanding Officer: Poison Toocool
Executive Officer: Evelyn Rieko

Moderators: Greenlantern Excelsior, Poison Toocool, Evelyn Rieko

Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: SL

t'was the night before space dock, when all through the ship,
a tremor was felt and Helm took a dip;

all the china was stacked in 10-Forward with care,
in hopes that a breakfast would soon be served there;

the crew were all nestled so snug in their beds,
while visions of shore leave danced in their heads;

the Capt'n in his quarters, laid down for a nap,
he must have been tired, he was out in a snap;

when out on the hull there arose such a clatter,
even Hal Jordan woke up to see what was the matter;

away to the window in a mad dash,
but nothing was out there, he saw in a flash;

a passing moon in a far system was outlined below,
and the stars winking by appeared soft as snow;

when to his still sleepy eyes what should appear
but the clear outline of a bright green Borg sphere....

:communicator:
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

CAST OF CHARACTERS
==============

Hal Jordan (Lt Cmdr), Tactical/Intelligence ((GreenLantern Excelsior))
Leni (LTjg), Science ((Leninah))

Left to right: Leni, Jordan
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

RP NARRATIVE
=============

Hal Jordan: The ship shakes and rolls to starboard. Lights flicker and Hal is thrown out of his bed to the floor. As he picks himself up and looks out the window, he sees a bright green Borg sphere outside. "Gaaah!" he shouts, and runs to the bridge without putting on a uniform. Manning the Tactical station, he calls Red Alert and brings shields and weapons online. He rubs his eyes and tries to focus on the Tactical screens. Shields and weapons are online but the scan results screen is still fuzzy. He thinks the bridge seems breezier than normal. Then he realizes that he is still wearing his sleeping clothing, which is a pair of swim trunks.

Leninah's eyes flick open still half asleep, the loud blaring of the siren morphing from the trancey synth at the rave to something more like a recognisable red alert as she comes back from dreamland. "Oh oh!" she exclaims, realising her quick trip to the science lab from her off-duty yoga to pick up a PADD had turned into reading it at her desk and succumbing to tiredness for a short while. Realising the alert and the fact she was out of uniform presented a dilemma. "Do I get changed? Hmmm Red Alert means immediate, so I better just go as I am" Quickly grabs her combadge from the desk before dashing out of the door of the science lab into the corridor. Looking both ways getting her bearings as she enters the stream of people rushing on the edge of running, but not quite, to their duty stations. Notices the gathering by the turbolift and hurries off down the corridor to the bridge tapping her combadge to make sure its on.

Jordan searches for threats near the ship, but is not seeing anything clearly. He rubs his eyes again, cursing the huge amount of synthehol he drank last night. It usually didn't have this effect on him. Maybe the Ten Forward replicator was malfunctioning and adding extra ingredients. He places the Tactical station on automatic scan and steps back for a few seconds, trying to keep his balance.

Leni: Rushing into the bridge and looking around seeing LtCmdr Jordan "Sir, what's happening why the red alert?" Noticing the science station is free she takes up position on the seat which feels somewhat strange for the first time in her off-duty attire. Signing in and bringing up the sensor readings to see where we are and if there's anything obvious showing as she waits for the Lieutenant to respond. Glancing around for whoever else has made it and seeing only the Lt Cmdr so far "Hmm that's strange where is everyone?"

Jordan breathes a sigh of relief as Lt Leni runs onto the bridge. Now maybe things would start coming back to normal. "The ship took a roll and I was thrown out of bed. When I looked out the window, I saw a Borg sphere! I ran to the bridge but I'm unable to see anything on the Tactical station yet. My eyes aren't focusing properly."

Leni looks somewhat startled at LtCmdr Jordan's statement that this was a Borg Sphere! "What? Are you certain of that? The Borg haven't been a threat here for ages and how can they have constructed a working sphere given their loss of their queen and the destruction of their unicomplex? … What co-ordinates Sir let me have a closer look? Maybe it's not entirely what it seems. It is Halloween maybe it's a ghost ship?!" Allows herself a quiet little giggle at that idea.

Jordan shakes his head to clear it, without success. "I only experienced two things - the shaking of the ship, as though it had been struck by weapons fire, and the visual indication of a Borg sphere outside the window of my quarters. I connected the two events in my mind and came to the conclusion that we were under attack. Did you not experience any shaking in your quarters?"

Leni looks at the Lt Cmdr quizzicaly "No shaking that I can remember Sir but I do sleep quite soundly so it's not impossible, but wait, you visually saw a sphere? Out of your window? That's the only source of detection we have?"

Jordan steps up to the Tactical station and looks at the scan results again. There was nothing within scan range, but he didn't trust the tactical scanners right now. He put the console into a level three diagnostic, which would take a short time to complete. "It's possible that I was dreaming about a Borg sphere attacking us when I fell out of bed. Maybe I hit my head on the floor and imagined the whole thing. It seemed so real, though."

Leni analyzes the area within visual range of the Durant using the science scanners "hmmm not picking up anything here Sir, but if it was a Borg sphere those things can shift pretty fast, I'll extend the range out to see if you saw it as it paused to trick or treat us on its was passed"

Jordan looks around the bridge, thinking of how things were normally and comparing that to how things were now. Ops and Helm were manned, but no one had the conn. "Who is the duty officer here?" he asked to the bridge in general. He thought it strange that no one turned to see who was speaking, and so far no one but Leni had acknowledged his presence at all.

Leni can't help worry about the Lt Cmdr's state was he dreaming or is there something there? It was strange that there was no-one else here with a red alert in full swing. Was she dreaming? Pinches herself and squeals quite loudly "OW" ok nope not dreaming. Continues to scan for any signs of well, anything !

Jordan thinks that since Tactical will be in diagnostic mode for a bit, he could investigate the bridge situation further. He walks to the Engineering station and puts his arm across PO Coil's shoulders. "So, how's it going, Coil? Engineering all working properly? No plasma leaks or warp core breaches on this shift?" Coil stands, unmoving and not speaking.

Leni analyses the area further out of the visual range and even of the tactical scanners of the Durant, and detecting some sort of signal taps to run identification. Keeping an eye on the comms status for any other communications but eerily quiet. Calls down to the medical bay =^= Hello med bay anyone there come back please? =^= Out of the corner of her eye notices the LtCmdr being rather more friendly with the engineer stationed there than usual.

Jordan pads across the bridge in his bare feet to the Comm station, looking over the shoulder of Ensign Tim Berners. "So hey, Berners, how are things going? How are the wife and kids? Did you know that you have a huge tentacle growing out of your left shoulder?" Berners does not respond either. Looking at his console, Hal notices that none of the indications are changing. It's just a static display. Hmm...

Leni looks up with way more alertness in her eyes and voice "Sir! I've got something! I don't think you were dreaming but it doesn't explain the absence and lack of response from the rest of the crew! She calls down to the engineering room =^= Hello engineering anyone there come back please? =^=

Jordan walks over to the Sciences II station and stands next to Lieutenant Commander Yvonne Lai. "Greetings, Commander, how is your day going? What's the square root of minus one? You seem to be frozen in time from my viewpoint." He tugs on her pony tail but she does not turn to rebuke him. "Yes, it seems that the bridge crew is...what? Unresponsive for some reason. I don't get it."

Leni: "I'm getting no response from anyone on comms! How odd?! Are we sure comms are working?" Tries calling the briefing room to see if it ‘rings out' "Can you hear anything from the briefing room Sir?" Meanwhile continues trying to identify the entity on the longer-range scans. "Oh it moved again! Pretty fast too!" On seeing the LtCmdr tug on the science officer's pony quickly re-arranges her hair to avoid the same fate!

Jordan takes stock of what he knows so far. Leni is moving, talking, responding to his conversation, but no one else is. He walks back to the Tactical station. "You know, it's funny, I started a diagnostic here, and it should be done now, but it only shows 1.1 percent complete. Are we speeding through time while everyone else isn't?"

Leni sits up and reports clearly and in a sombre tone "Sir data coming in now on that object. Hmmm 600m diameter, spherical" draws a deep breath "armed it seems with beam and projectile weapons, well shielded and armoured, though not clear if shields are up yet." Taps in a few more times "Detecting lifeforms, quite a lot of lifeforms! around 11,000 in total of undetermined species." Yes Sir looks every bit like a Borg sphere, it's even green!"

Jordan thinks about what he knows of time distortions. If the ship were near a black hole, time would be moving at different speeds throughout the ship, with those closer to the object experiencing time at a slower rate. But his train of thought is derailed when Leni describes the Borg sphere she is seeing. He tries diplomacy, opening the hailing frequencies. =^= Hello, Borg sphere. We are the USS Taylorholic Durant, a peaceful exploration vessel on a mapping survey of this sector. How are you doing today? Do you need any assistance from us? =^=

Leni: After pondering the idea we could be in temporal disturbance "Hmm yes Sir that's technically possible, the Borg ships are known to have had some success with temporal travel it wouldn't be a stretch for them to have managed to somehow project that onto others, just being that selective in picking us wouldn't make any sense would it? However it seems to be there sitting there waiting for something maybe as it passed it caused the temporal disturbance either deliberately or in a wake as it returned from a temporal flight?" Looks with some alarm at the Lt Cmdr trying to talk to a Borg vessel like it was some harmless cargo ship

Jordan thinks it's a bit strange that Leni is seeing a Borg sphere in such detail, but he still sees nothing out there. Well, his console was still doing the endless diagnostic (now at 1.9 percent complete), so it wouldn't be scanning for quite some time. But the comm functions still worked, or did they? He waits for the standard "We are the Borg" response, but hears nothing. "So maybe we were caught in the wake of a Borg artificial temporal displacement? That does make sense. If they were moving ahead in space but back in time, they could appear at any point in the universe instantly. Or so I've heard. Any signs of movement in that ship or is it frozen just like most of us?"

Leni: "Sir, this is a long-range tactical vessel. Formidable and capable as it is, it's not uncommon for it to be based on a larger vessel. I think we need to be alert to the possibility if this sphere is here maybe there's a cube or base here somewhere also? Permission to divert power to long range scans in astrometrics to check as wide a range as possible for other Borg signatures?"

Jordan is glad that Leni is here to work on science-related issues, since his brain still seems to be somewhat scrambled. "Yes, good idea, we should be doing some long range scans to see what else is out there. I suspect that our current bridge crew won't be responding to our requests though, so I'll take care of it." He walks over to the Ops station and diverts the power to Astrometrics. "There you go, power diversion completed."

Leni: "Oh Sir I've just had a terrible thought! What if that vessel isn't returning from a temporal flight but has just arrived on one for a mission! It could have frozen us, and for some reason we've avoided it, to cover up the arrival of a bigger force from the past or future to recover their position in this time? Or even alternate dimension?" gulps hard "I don't like these options I'd much rather we were both dreaming that would be far easier to explain and deal with!"

Jordan thinks about the standard off duty discussion topic of 'What would you do if you woke up and everyone on board but you was dead?' It was a good way to test someone's knowledge of ship operations. You had to be the entire bridge and Engineering crew and keep everything going. "You know, that would be a good explanation for all of this, if it was nothing but a dream. But are we sharing the same dream? Or are you part of my dream, or am I just a bit player in yours?"

Leni scans the ship for tachyon particle density looking for any signs of alterations in the space time. Hearing the Lt Cmdrs theses "Are you thinking this is a shared dream or that it's an exercise, a test we've been hit with as a surprise?"

Jordan considers ways to determine whether he is dreaming. If he pinches himself, he could experience a pain in his dream and seemingly confirm that he was awake. "We could be part of some alien's telepathic manipulations. It would make a twisted kind of sense, because in dreams sometimes things do move slowly. It could be that we're no more than guinea pigs running in someone's cosmic maze."

Leni frowns. "No the more I think about it the less likely I feel this is a set-up to test us. I know for a fact that LtCmdr Lai couldn't stay still let alone quiet for 5 minutes let alone this length of time! Maybe we are being manipulated but again why, if its not a test and that would be pretty intrusive if that was a test by Starfleet. The results of the tachyon scans are showing two areas of definite heightened incidence of particles."

Jordan shouts loudly "COMPUTER, END PROGRAM!" but nothing happens. He does the next thing that comes to mind without even thinking about it, running headfirst into one of the bridge pillars. He rebounds and hits the deck, his head spinning, and seeing stars. For a brief moment he sees an alien face, watching him intently, and then his vision clears and he is back on the bridge. Maybe he would never know the real answer, but that face would haunt him for quite some time.

Leni: "Yes Sir those two areas are around you and me. We're displaced from the normal time space here and our crew and systems just can't see us or detect us. The only realistic source of that is over there on the sphere. All scans are showing it's there so either we have a serious situation and we can't do or say anything about it to anyone or we are definitely having a lucid shared dream and ALL of this is in our heads only! At this point I don't know how to determine which it is except sit and wait and see what happens next?"

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

MISSION IMAGES
===============

Hal Jordan (Lt Cmdr), Tactical/Intelligence ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Leni (LTjg), Science ((Leninah))

Red Alert

Red Alert

A short chat with PO Coil

Ensign Tim Berners does not notice his new tentacle

Ensign Tim Berners does not notice his new tentacle

Lieutenant Commander Yvonne Lai, about to get her hair pulled

Diverting power to Astrometrics

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”