:toscomm: :federation: Hot News! :federation: :toscomm:

Have an issue? Submit a ticket to UFStarfleet Support! (Must be logged into the forums to use this)
or through the UFS Discord Support System (More info by clicking here!)

If you are unable to login to your Forum account for whatever reason, you can either A) Contact your Commanding Officer to have your issue submitted on your behalf to UFStarfleet Support website or B) Contact CompOps using the UFS Discord Support System.

Did you know UFS has a Discord server - join your fellow fleetmates there today - Link at the top of this page.

"A Tiny Issue" -USS BARCLAY 06.181011.1745

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We support UFSA as much as we can and we provide mentorship to the JOOP & CGSD graduate programs.
We roleplay in-world on a drop-in and scheduled basis. We also add to our history and environment by writing RP Narratives, Mission Logs & Personal Stories for the UFS forum.
Inspired by the ship's namesake, the late Admiral Taylorholic Durant, crew members work to exemplify the behaviour, actions & vision of United Federation Starfleet in everything they do. Our first rule: to be kind to one another. And have fun.
Please note we practice Post Order (P.O.) and One Post in our Roleplays. For further info, contact the C.O.!

Roleplay Times: Sundays 11:15am SLT
Commanding Officer: Poison Toocool
Executive Officer: Evelyn Rieko

Moderators: Greenlantern Excelsior, Poison Toocool, Evelyn Rieko

Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: SL

=^= STARFLEET COMMAND ORDER BEGINS =^=

TO: CMDR RAGS HOOCH
USS BARCLAY NCC REB111
STEAMRUNNER CLASS
STARDATE: 181011

ORDERS 748aks83kk0.1

OBJECTIVE: Sector 010K

SITUATION: The Barclay is assigned to chart Grids A1 to D4 of Sector 010K. All is going along swimmingly until they get a wee hail.

Number of days: indeterminate

Will proceed date: 18109

Security Clearance: Level 2, Need to know, with reference to General Order 5*.

Personnel: See order TH78392.asj2. All assigned personnel to report for duty at 1745 hours.

*General Order 5: In cases of extreme emergency, Federation special representatives are empowered to assume emergency powers to deal with a condition or circumstance that is deemed hazardous to the welfare of Federation citizenry.

=^=== ORDERS END ===^=

LCARS:
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Steamrunner_class
http://www.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.p ... Sector_Map
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

CAST OF CHARACTERS
====================

Rags Hooch (Capt) - CO ((Poison Toocool))
Brittany Tairov (Cadet), Helm, ((brittany00a))
Ghost Lightening (Lt Cmdr), Tactical/Comms ((GreenLantern Excelsior))
Cadenza (Ensign), Science/Engineering ((airidokeshi))

Left to right: Tairov, Lightening, Hooch, Cadenza
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

RP NARRATIVE
=============

Rags Hooch paces the bridge a little. The long agonizing slow lope of charting an unknown star system in an uncharted sector (010K) had him on pins and needles. He needed a good run but had slept through his alarm and just made it to the bridge in time to casually stroll in and relieve the Beta shift and his XO. He looks up at the star on the viewscreen and sniffs. "Anything interesting there, science?" He looks to Tairov, "Once we're finished with this one, what's the distance to the next system?"

Brittany Tairov: "an hour at warp 5, Sir"

Ghost Lightening caresses the Tactical console with his paws, feeling the smoothness of the material and the slight differences in temperature in various spots. They were cruising from grid to grid in Sector 010K, which was on the friendly side of the boundary with Borg space. Those mechanical monsters had been known to go on collecting runs outside their own territory though, so he was alert and maintaining readiness on the scanners. Weapons were available also, in case the Barclay's claws needed to come out. "Scanners indicate no threats in the area, Cap'n."

Cadenza firmly strokes the science console with her paws, a soft smile on her muzzle as she replies to the Captain. "Nothing interesting is currently happening here, Sir."

Hooch sighs. He supposed he was supposed to be interested in sniffing around uncharted star systems and seeking out new life and new civilizations, but rummaging around in a kibble bag also had its delights. He yawned, blinked, and replied, "Nothing interesting? Nothing interesting? I beg to differ Science. Tell me, what is the age of that system? What kind of sol is it? How many planets, what class, any lifeforms of any kind? Nothing interesting?! My my, we shall endevour to find you something *more* interesting. Mr Tairov, set course for the next star system."

Tairov: "Setting a course now sir navigation ,,, heading is set on your word sir"

Lightening manipulates the sensor controls, scanning for life forms, tachyons, vertirons, and any other kind of -ons that might be out there. Nothing showed up but interstellar gas and the occasional rogue planetoid. Those were usually barren and without atmosphere, so life forms naturally did not exist there. He began scanning in their next direction of travel. "Still no threats on our sensors, Cap'n, everything is looking safe and clean."

Cadenza swishes her tail as she looks over the readouts before her. "Sir, the lifeforms seem to be predominantly microbial in nature. And do not seem to currently to be any new type of microbe."

Hooch: "Thank you Helm, if Mr Lightening gives us access to warp drive, engage at warp five." Sniffs and chuckles at his little rhyme. Looks to Cadenza: "Bugs?" He shudders. The last thing they needed was more bugs. "Pre-sentient, I take it," he half laughs, half barks. "No threats is good. Guess we're out here alone with no leash... uh... worry."

Tairov engages warp Drive at the captain word engage, she strike to keys bringing the ship to warp five as the small vessel moves along.

Mikki Mou: ******* =^= **static** =^= ********

Lightening licks one paw and washes his right ear and the right side of his face. It would be bad to be stinky and smelly, more easily detectable by the enemy. In a way, it was almost a natural stealth mode, handed down over the ages from ancient ancestors. His console emits a soothing tone and he looks down to find a flashing light in the communications section. He looks at the signal and runs it through the analyzer before addressing the Commanding Officer. "Cap'n, we are receiving what appears to be a signal. It's very weak, and I am unable to decode any information from it. No audio or video and no encoded text as far as the computer can tell. It appears to be coming from Sector 010K, possibly. I have no further information until we receive more."

Cadenza makes a fox's chittering sound at the Captain's joke. "The microbes pose no threat, currently, Sir. They're just being microbes, and staying outside. Like good boys."

Hooch: "Engineering, can you transfer power to the comms array, and assist tactical in locating the source of the signal." He pauses a moment, "Can you beef up the signal, run it through the universal translator?"

Tairov: "Stead as she goes capt, steady as she goes"

Lightening directs sensors toward the source of the signal. No matter what kind of ship you were in, you always responded to distress calls. This was a universal truth across all spacefaring cultures. His imagination brought forth a picture of a small ship, leaking vital atmosphere and with a warp core breach only minutes away. He tries to take the tiny signal and build it up to something meaningful. "I am not getting much information from the signal, sir. From what I can tell, it does appear to be in voice, but it's too weak to decipher individual words. If we could get closer to the signal source we would most likely know more."

Cadenza sends a picture of microbes artfully arranged to resemble a single piece of catnip to Tactical. And then Engineering begins to transfer power to Comms. "Transferring Power, Sir."

Mikki Mou: ******* =^= **squ**eak** =^= *******

Hooch looks at Lightening with a frown, "If we don't understand the message, then we can't conclude anything. They could be saying hello, inviting us for dinner, telling us to go away, or challenging us to a duel. See if you can figure it out," he adds to Helm: "Might have to change course to investigate if science or tactical can figure out which way to go"

Tairov: "calculating couse change wanting on science station to concur sir and will change course on your word captain"

Lightening receives the information from Science and scratches his head at the organic molecule displayed on the screen. That was a...and then he gets it. Science Officer Cadenza was famous for playing practical jokes during bridge watches, and apparently today was no exception to that rule. He quickly sends a picture of a litter box back to the Science station and looks over the other information that was sent. "Cap'n, applying audio filters and boosting power to the sensors has helped. We are receiving what sounds like a voice message, but the universal translator cannot decode it. Also, the signal source is not in Sector 010K as I had originally though. It is much closer to us. The signal's direction has changed as we have moved from where we were to where we are. I am trying to get a better fix on it but direction finding is not working for some unknown reason."

Cadenza looks at the litter box and shakes her head, mentally giggling. She looks over the information from the Helm, and speaks up. "I concur with the suggested change in course, Sir. We should be getting closer to the signal."

Hooch looks at the information from tactical and science and says, "Helm, drop us to full impulse. Change bearing to two, three, mark two. Engage when ready."

Tairov: "coming across to heading bearing to two, three, mark two. full impulse engaging now captain."

Lightening places the sensors in continuous spherical scan mode. Looking at the results is puzzling, causing him to lick his own nose several times in confusion and alarm. "Cap'n, sensors are now picking up the same signal apparently coming from several different directions. First we're getting the strongest response from the starboard lateral sensor array, then from the dorsal array, then from aft. The only thing I can think of that would cause readings like this is if the signal was coming from within our own ship."

Cadenza scratches her muzzle, head tilted ever so slightly as she looks over the readings before her. "That is quite concerning.. I'll see about redirecting one of my sensors inward." And then she works to do just that.

Mikki Mou: ******* =^= **static**keak** =^= *******

Hooch scratches his head, wondering what the heck is going on. It feels so good, he scratches it again, paw behind his left ear, his right foot starts jumping, playing a little drum beat on the deck as long as he scratches. "Inside our own ship??? Intruder alerrt. Get security teams out on the double. Pass that signal frequency to them. See if they can sniff it out."

Tairov: pushing the buttons and the helm control, as the ride seems smoothing and open to crew. She repeats the course to herself "aye captain steady as she goes."

Lightening activates the alert signal and the internal comm system. "Intruder alert, all decks, intruder alert. Security teams scan all decks for a signal being generated on 415.225 megahertz. Report results to the bridge."

Security panel: Intruder alert

Security panel: Muting alert

Cadenza looks over the readings in front of her, scratching her head and looking as though she has been confused into total silence. A rarity indeed, for the normally chatty vixen.

Mikki Mou: ******* =^= **mou**squk** =^= *******

Hooch paces the bridge again. "Mystery, mystery, any results from scans? Any clues? Any ideas at all or are we just chasing our tail. Where are they, and more importantly, what the hell are they saying to us???"

Tairov: "If we keep going on bearing two, three, mark two we'll be going in circles, sir, are you sure about going that way?"

Lightening begins receiving reports from Security officers patrolling the decks. He knew that each two-person team had one member with a tricorder and another member with a phaser at the ready. They would find the signal source if it turned out to be internal to the ship. "All stations have acknowledged the intruder alert, sir. Security teams are now patrolling, scanning all decks for the signal source. It doesn't help that the signal is intermittent. It disappears so quickly that it's hard to determine which direction it's coming from using a handheld receiver. Our external sensors are no help if this is an internal signal because they are all pointed outward." He was starting to get a bit twitchy, because the signal's audio had a certain component that made it sound like prey. That was too subjective to put into his reports, though.

Cadenza gets past her confusion and speaks up, her paws flirting with the console in front of her. "Nothing appears to be on board, Sir. But could the signal possibly be coming from outside the ship..?"

Hooch: "Mr Tairov, all stop. Mr Cadenza, see what you can find. Mr Lighening, maintain yellow alert and post security at all vunerable areas."

Tairov: "coming a full stop or all stop captain .." as the ship stops in space ...

Lightening catches another small snippet of signal audio from the unknown source. This was too much, and he had to report it. "Cap'n, this is very unscientific, but the frequency of the audio very closely resembles the squeaking of an alarmed rodent. Activating Yellow Alert." He caresses the proper button on the alarm section of his panel. "Yellow Alert, all decks go to Yellow Alert."

Security panel: Yellow alert

Cadenza looks at the information before her, her paws caressing the controls and keyboards. "Sir, do we happen to have any mice on board? They would be key to deciphering this cheesing puzzle.."

Mikki Mou: ******* =^= squeak =^= *******

Hooch: "Can you run the squea...ah signal, through the universal translator?" Rags turns his snout to respond to Cadenza when something on the viewscreen catches his eye. He jumps back with alarm. "What the heck?"

Tairov: "A Mouse,,, ? sir, ... I at a loss Sir" ,,,, sits there with a bewildered look on her face...

Lightening: Reports are coming in from the Security teams as they scan all 18 decks of the Barclay. None of them has found anything, though. At that moment, a signal comes in loud and clear. The universal translator sounds its tone and the message is displayed on his screen locally. "Sir, we did receive that message. It is as follows: 'help us. our tail tangled with your tail. stop and fix problem. it hurts us."

Cadenza looks over at the viewscreen and then mentally purrs. She sends Tactical a picture of a cartoon cat holding a knife and fork, quite obviously in reference to the image on the viewscreen. She looks at the data laid out before her, then speaks up. "Sir, I can confirm the message. Their tiny ship's tail is caught on something that's attached to our hull."

Mikki Mou: ******* =^= squeak let go our tail big silver mouse squeak =^= *******

Hooch: "Ensign I didn't mean to ignore your suggestion regarding mice on board up until this moment I had no knowledge of any kind of sentient Murinae in this galaxy. Apparently I was entirely mistaken," he does not sound very convinced. "Where exactly are they located, and how big is their ship?" He looks to Helm, "Might need a work bee pilot," he comments.

Brittany: "Sir,,,, I sure Ensign Redman is up to the task ,,,,never mind as you wish sir i get it done on your orders sir."

Lightening reconfigures the sensors to scan at short range. And there it is. "Cap'n, I have located a ship, apparently tangled with the starboard pylon for our secondary hull. It is extremely small, about the size of my paw. I believe I can free it from its entanglement with a very gentle application of our tractor beam. And we may want to drop shields so they can escape if they want to. They don't appear to have any weapons."

Cadenza looks over her scanners, before nodding and speaking up. "I agree with Tactical, Sir. It would seem to be the best way to go about letting them loose."

Hooch: "Good, good Mr Lightening. Make it so, and, once they are free, ask if they would like to... attend a reception in their honor?" He whispers to Science: "Mr Cadenza, inform all cainines, caits and other life forms that our guests would not be for consumption. Do I make myself clear?"

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

MISSION IMAGES
==============

Rags Hooch (Capt) - CO ((Poison Toocool))

Brittany Tairov (Cadet), Helm, ((brittany00a))

Cadenza (Ensign), Science/Engineering ((airidokeshi))

Ghost Lightening (Lt Cmdr), Tactical/Comms ((GreenLantern Excelsior)) taking a cat nap

Established visual communications

Yellow Alert

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”