:toscomm: :federation: Hot News! :federation: :toscomm:

Have an issue? Submit a ticket to UFStarfleet Support! (Must be logged into the forums to use this)
or through the UFS Discord Support System (More info by clicking here!)

If you are unable to login to your Forum account for whatever reason, you can either A) Contact your Commanding Officer to have your issue submitted on your behalf to UFStarfleet Support website or B) Contact CompOps using the UFS Discord Support System.

Did you know UFS has a Discord server - join your fellow fleetmates there today - Link at the top of this page.

USS T-Durant Mission TDRP16061: "Baykaar Dispute" (181007)

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We support UFSA as much as we can and we provide mentorship to the JOOP & CGSD graduate programs.
We roleplay in-world on a drop-in and scheduled basis. We also add to our history and environment by writing RP Narratives, Mission Logs & Personal Stories for the UFS forum.
Inspired by the ship's namesake, the late Admiral Taylorholic Durant, crew members work to exemplify the behaviour, actions & vision of United Federation Starfleet in everything they do. Our first rule: to be kind to one another. And have fun.
Please note we practice Post Order (P.O.) and One Post in our Roleplays. For further info, contact the C.O.!

Roleplay Times: Sundays 11:15am SLT
Commanding Officer: Poison Toocool
Executive Officer: Evelyn Rieko

Moderators: Greenlantern Excelsior, Poison Toocool, Evelyn Rieko

Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: SL

=/= Overview =/=
A mining and trade dispute has erupted. The political body has asked Starfleet Command for assistance in resolving it. LTjg Fema Firefrick was ordered to assume position as Ambassador and proceed aboard the USS Taylorholic Durant to assess the situation and act as a totally impartial intermediary to possibly help resolve the conflict

=Location=
Planetary System - d909K in the Midgar Sector, 9 LY from the Deshima Station
Base Star- Par'Tullor with a system of 7 planets, 3 habitable, All inhabited by the Unrecha Species.
Planets # 3 and # 4 are Bekaar and Baykaar, Class M ( Kaarion Alliance, 'UFS member'), # 6 is Planet Vinkaar, Class L ( Independent, non-member )

=Cultural overview=
All 3 planets are of "Planetary Development Scale" - F+ (non warp, inter-planetary travel and development ).
Each planet is ordered and well developed socially,technologically, academically and culturally, sharing a common species ancestry of several thousand plus years. To date, Example: Earth circa - mid to late 21st century. None are known to be overly aggressive or hostile though each planet possesses it's own military. Each planet is basically an elective Democracy. Knowledge of Ideology and scope of agenda is limited.

Each planet has its own elected Leadership and Governmental structure with a centralized government of 11 members each elected alternatively every twelve years, known as the "Kaarion Alliance". This 22 member body elects a single leader by conclave known as "The Tribune", for a 4 year term from with-in itself. The seat of the Alliance is stationed on the opposite planet of the sitting "Tribune" and is presently located on Baykaar. The "Tribune" is in her last year of service and is retiring from public office. All planets in the system are believed to be of equal capabilities in all most aspects.

=Situation=
Mining and trade dispute of the asteroid belt between Planets Bekaar and Baykaar. Several minerals and one gas mined are essential to both planets in the fields of commerce, technology, infrastructure and medicine. For some reason the mineral supply is dwindling at a rate faster than expected and both planets are accusing the other of deliberate over-mining. Inter-planetary Civil war seems eminent.

Because of infighting and with the Alliance itself in jeopardy, 17 of the 22 members of the "High Counsel of the Kaarion Alliance" have petitioned the "Tribune" to ask Starfleet for any assistance possible.

=Mission Scope=
Dispatch a UFS Representative (with intermediary Ambassadorial Authority) to Baykaar to investigate and ascertain the situation. Offer UFS mediation and/or any other assistance deemed necessary as per the Prime Directive. Help Negotiate a suitable resolution acceptable to both planets members.

=PREVIOUS=
"Asteroids for the Taking"
http://forums.ufstarfleet.org/viewtopic ... 85&t=30839
Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Grid: SL

USS TAYLORHOLIC DURANT
NCC 780304
BAYKAAR SYSTEM
STARDATE 181007.11

=Situation=
The USS Taylorholic Durant has arrived at Star System d909K and is within 30 minutes to orbit Planet Baykaar. We have scanned the the asteroid belt and found evidence of mining activities on numerous larger asteroids as well as residual ION signature trails thru-out the belt and running between both Planets Baykaar and Bekaar. We also detected residual trails running out into open space on a trajectory towards the Planet Vinkaar. We have inserted a telemetry probe on a large asteroid at the edge of the belt. While skirting past the asteroid belt we were accosted by an unknown vessel who, without proper protocols or identification, demanded we leave the system immediately. It has taken a parallel station 4K kilometers to port, matching our speed and course. Scans of the vessel show it is a medium size cargo freighter outfitted for mining operations and with a crew of 18 "Unrecha" personnel. Scans for weapons also show it has been retro-fitted with a low base type N Disruptor turret and minor grade shield's.

The Durant is continuing scans and analyses under Yellow Alert with Defensive Shields engaged, weapons on Standby ready. As the shadowing vessel has no Identity beacon and it's markings do not match any known "Kaarion Alliance" livery, it will be assumed it is of Vinkaarian origin with unknown intent. It is unknown if our telemetry probe has been discovered as of yet.

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

CAST OF CHARACTERS
==============

Bridge Team
James T. Hode (Capt), CO ((Poison Toocool))
Hal Jordan (Lt Cmdr), Helm/Engineering ((GreenLantern Excelsior))
Nems Johari (Lt JG), Tactical/Science ((Knightspet))

Away Team
Fema Firefrick (LT), Starfleet Ambassador ((Firefrick))
Ushaara, Tribune for the Kaarion Alliance (Leninah)
Evelyn Rieko (Lt Cmdr), Acting XO
Vudlud Atius, Ushaara's associate ((Poison Toocool))
Quentin Foulsbane (LT), (Security)

Left to right: Ushaara, Firefrick, Johari, Rieko, Hode, Atius, Jordan, Foulsbane
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

RP NARRATIVE - DURANT BRIDGE
==========================

James T. Hode nodded to the Away Team that was headed to Transporter Room One for transport to Baykaar. "Mr Johari, plot the course of the Vinkaar ship. Mr Jordan, intercept course, one quarter impulse. Ensure our deflector is at 100 percent.

Hal Jordan responds to the Captain. "One quarter impulse, en route to intercept and waiting for the more accurate course from Tactical."

Nems Johari bods to the Captain, "Aye Sir." Looking down at the LCARS as he looks back up plotting the course to 50,000 kms to port Sir."

VS Vakadnazz veers into the asteroid field, dust and gases clouding their course.

Hode respond to the Away Team, message received. Let them know we might be forced to enter the asteroid field. However I think our probe will assist in relaying communications.

Jordan adjusts course slightly to match the information from Tactical. A dotted line on his screen showed the interception path based on scans from Tactical updated once every 10 seconds. Suddenly the target's path changed radically and then the target disappeared from scans! "The Vinkaar ship has entered an area of debris and we have lost their scan information. I am attempting to intercept based on their last known course and speed."

Johari looks up to the viewscreen watching the course noticing that the target has disappeared. Takes a deep breath and feels an ache in his stomach. Starts to perform long range scans to assist in finding the target.

VS Vakadnazz knows the asteroid field quite well, and is determined to avoid scans from Federation vessel.

Hode: Can our probe help? Is there anything in their ion signature that we can trace?

Jordan turns the ship toward the Vinkaar's last known position. He revises the navigation screen to indicate that the Vinkaar ship could be anywhere within a widening cone. They would have to implement a search pattern if this went on much longer. "Captain, we are entering the asteroid field. Deflectors are clearing the smaller objects from our path and I am veering around the larger ones." He twists and turns around the larger asteroids, moving deeper into the field, searching, searching...

Johari hears the Captain, "Yes Sir I believe our probe would help to find our target. I also recommend that we go into yellow alert just to be on the safe side as well."

VS Vakadnazz moves deeper into the field.

Hode: "Mr Johari. Ensure the probe telemetry is being passed to both science and tactical." He stands on the bridge, wondering why the Vinkaar ship was being so evasive. "Can we get close enough to them to scan their cargo holds is the question."

Jordan pilots the ship through the dust and gravel and planetoids. The Vinkaar ship could have made a straight run at high speed to get out of sensor range, or they could be hiding behind one of the larger rocks. He moves the ship in a spiral along the edge of the imaginary cone, so Tactical can scan behind the larger obstacles. "If we can get close enough, we can scan," he responds to the Captain. "I am wondering if we can track them based on the trajectories of the dust and gravel their deflector shields have disturbed as they moved through here. What do you think, Tactical?"

Johari: he starts his long range scans as soon as we are close enough. Looking down at his console and up at the viewscreen tracking to see what he can pick up on the scans with little hope.... to find anything at this point.

Hode: "Seems a logical suggestion. Get what telemetry you can from the probe. Follow their path. I don't need weapons distance, I need sensor scans."

Jordan checks the deflector shields, which are sweeping ahead of the ship to remove any obstacles. "Sir, deflectors are registering an area of decreased dust density to our port side. I am now following what looks like a hole in the dust made by a passing ship. There is lots of swirling and confusion, but it appears that something went this way just a few seconds ago."

Johari: Rubbing his chin as he moves his scans from long range to short scans to figure out what exactly out there. I am also seeing that hole in the dust like indeed something was here and immediately disappeared fast. The question is why but that is what I am trying to determine from the probe.

VS Vakadnazz turns sharply starboard to avoid a large asteroid, flashing its location on the sensors for a brief second.

Hode: "I hesitate to give this order for the first time in my career, Mr Jordan, but: follow that dust."

Jordan keeps the ship on a steady course, following the "hole" in the dust cloud as best he can. He is depending on readings based on the amount of dust impinging on the deflector field. It's not pinpoint accuracy but it does give a rough estimate of what happened. Also, the hole is not in exactly a straight line. It twists and turns as though a ship was moving to avoid collisions. And the hole is getting larger, meaning they are catching up to whatever made it. "I believe we're getting warmer, Captain. A few more minutes and we may find our Vinkaars."

Johari: His scans were picking up lots of forms in the dust just moving as fast as the speed of lightening across the screen. "If we can speed up I am positive we will find what we are looking for."

Hode: "Increase to one half impulse. Shields at maximum. Transfer power to deflector and ensure inertial dampers are fully powered."

Jordan receives the information from Tactical, showing the flash of a ship ahead, and smiles. It's directly on his projected course through the dust cloud. He swerves the ship around a large asteroid, and the hole in the cloud becomes larger and larger. "Ship should be dead ahead right now, Captain. Increasing speed to close the distance." Moving to the Engineering console. "Engineering diverting power from nonessential systems to shields. They're holding although they're taking lots of hits from the dust and gravel. Inertial dampers are at full power."

Johari looks up to the Captain, "Sir might he suggest that we moved into red alert, the closer we get to the target for our safety it be best to move into red alert." Looking down at the shields boosting them to have 100 percent of power, weapons could be online and fully powered if at any time we do need them.

VS Vakadnazz also increases power, but its shields flicker momentarily... the vessel loses some speed.

Hode feels the actions of the Vinkaar vessel are suspicious. Why run, if nothing to hide. "What about the anomalies in the asteroid field... one turned out to be a Vinkaar ship. Continue scans of those anomalies and run their data through the computer for analysis." He pauses for a moment, "Agreed on red alert."

Jordan speeds ahead through the asteroids at half impulse. It feels almost too fast, but there is also a feeling of exhilaration as he swerves carefully around the larger rocks. They should be able to see the other ship soon, but there are so many obstacles that scanning visually as well as with sensors will be difficult. Suddenly the communications board lights up on his console. "Sir, I'm detecting a very strong communications signal coming from dead ahead. It appears to be encoded, because the universal translator isn't making any sense of it. It could be coming from the Vinkaar ship or from a signal source that they dropped, or it could be from something that was here already."

Johari hears the Captain, "Aye Sir." Moves the ship into red alert as he hears the screeching sounds as he quickly mutes the alert. As he gathers the data from the probe running it in his computer. looks over to the Captain, "Sir the Vinkaar ship has a specific ion signature from its engine, and the anomalies that we have found previously are one in the same with the ion traits. Might he suggest this ship or maybe more then one ship may have been traveling from Vinkaar to the belt."

Hode says sharply, "A signal? Can you trace its source?" He narrows his eyes, "I see. Are you saying the source of the dwindling of the mineral supply might be the result of the actions of the third planet, Vinkarr...? They don't have an alliance with the other two." He sits down to open a channel to the Away Team. =^= Hode to Firefrick. It appears the anomalies are ion trails belonging to Vinkaar ships. =^=

Jordan continues to follow the trail at half impulse. He wonders if the momentary signal was sent to an accomplice, asking for help, or whether it was simple trickery intended to throw Durant off the trail. It would take much more than that to end this pursuit. Durant crashes through the dust and sends rocks and boulders flying with its strong deflector beam and shields. The helmsman has a strong and determined look on his face, almost like he's ready to reach out and grab the Vinkaar ship with his bare hands. Engineering addresses the Captain. "Sir, our deflector beam and shields are holding up nicely. We could even afford to lay on a little more speed if you need it."

Johari continues to monitor his scans to assist helm with anything he may find on there that would be most helpful. Hearing the Captain, "Yes Sir, that is exactly what I am saying that this mineral supply may be going to this planet. It would be the only explanation that I can gather from the data.

Hode: "We have evidence then that the Vinkaar are the ones taking the minerals. I have informed the away team. If we can capture that ship it would be helpful. And what about that signal? Was it the Vinkaar?"

Jordan looks down as the external comm system lights up again. "Sir, we have detected another radio signal, slightly stronger, but now coming from starboard. Our pursuit has been turning to port, and the only possible source I can see in that direction is planet Baykaar. It could be that this is an elaborate deception, and we are pursuing a ship from Baykaar that's trying to fool us into thinking they're from Vinkaar. The signal from the planet could be relaying our position to the ship we're pursuing. I recommend sending a strong jamming signal toward Baykaar so we can see if the ship ahead of us stops eluding us so easily."

Johari: he continues to run his sensor scans to try and pick up the friction around the asteroid belt. Something out there is causing this heck of a mess.

Hode pauses a moment. "Compare the signals we received from the Baykaar Tribune and the ones going to that ship. Are they the same or different." His comms beep and he receives a message from the Away team. He replies: =^= Hode to Rieko: Depletion in the asteroid belt is almost certain to be the the direct result of Vinkaar mining the belt without the knowledge of the Alliance.=^=

Jordan activates the jamming signal, directing it straight ahead to swamp the other ship's receiver. Their comm system is now useless to them. Immediately changes tactics, not following the other ship's trail directly but finding a shorter distance. This would close the gap between them even faster. He runs the two signals through the communications analyzer and turns to the Captain. "The original signals from Baykaar are very similar to the signals we received in the last few minutes. The differences between them could be due to reflection from multiple metallic objects in the asteroid belt. I believe they both came from the same transmitter."

Johari pivots his neck as he looks up to the Captain, "Sir my scans are picking up a lot of dust clouds. Not only the Vinkaar ship we are tracking, but I am picking up other forms of dust clouds like we may have another ship out there."

Hode: "Right. I think it best we disengage and return to Baykaar to pick up the Away Team. Mr Jordan, can you get us out of the belt and in transporter range."

Jordan runs the signal through the analyzer again. The results have him scratching his head. "Captain, I have analyzed the recent Baykaar signal further and discovered something odd. The signal contains a distinctive modulation frequency that is identical to the frequency used by the Vinkaar ship when they challenged us earlier. So it appears that the recent Baykaar signal came from a Vinkaar transmitter. And yes, sir, I will break off the pursuit and climb above the plane of the ecliptic to return to Baykaar. ETA to transporter range at full impulse is 15 minutes."

Johari continues to monitor scans as we head back to Baykaar, making sure that we don't run into any other problems that we may not expect.

Hode: =^= Hode to Away Team: we are returning to Baykaar to pick you up shortly."=^=

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

RP NARRATIVE - BAYKAAR
=====================

Fema Firefrick enters the room marveling at the regal surroundings, walking up to the obvious leader of the facing delegation. "I bid you Greetings from the United Federation Starfleet. My name is Fema Firefrick, and I am the Ambassador requested by the High Counsel of the Kaarian Alliance. I am here as the Federation's Representative and can offer you any assistance with in our authority."

Evelyn Rieko looks around the area as the lights from the transporter beam disappears. She looks to her team., "Lt. Foulsbane scan the area and stay alert." Walks forward and introduces herself, "I'm Lt. Cmdr Evelyn Rieko of the starship Durant.. here to assist the Ambassador. A pleasure to meet you all."

Ushaara "Greetings, and welcome to Baykaar" Smiles warmly as she bows slightly clasping her hands in front of her heart and spreading them open like the petals of a flower as is the tradition in Baykaar "I am so pleased you were able to come to our assistance, thank you. I am Ushaara, Tribune for the Kaarion Alliance and this is my colleague, Vudlud Atius. We do hope your trip here has been uneventful and hasn’t taken you too much out of your way or in any other way unduly increased your burden?" Ushaara stops talking and looks attentively upon the figure before her.

Quentin Foulsbane: Aye, Sir *scans the area and attempts to stay alert, feigning interest in political matters*

Firefrick bows slightly responding " It is such a great pleasure to meet you both and thank you for your warm welcome, It was of course, no trouble at all for respond to your request as a valued member of the Federation".

Ushaara Looks at the Ambassador with a demeanour offering a touch of nerves and a touch of embarrassment "It’s a tricky time for us here at the alliance. There are moves towards an expansion of the alliance in this region and a greater…" pauses trying to find the most diplomatic phrase "… connection with the Federation. As you know since the troubles between us brought about by the meddling and manipulation of the Nabrathians" shakes her head in sadness at the memories associated with that episode in their history "We have I believe and hope become mush more aligned in purpose. It is my hope to leave a legacy when I leave office that will last for many generations and represent a huge step forward for all Unrechians." Her demeanor suddenly brightens as if a favourite song was just played, and clasping her hands in a display of excitement "AND I do believe we are making progress on this! Which is why I believe your assistance in resolving this particular problem will be doubly well received" Pauses again before enquiring politely "Are you aware of the details of the mineral depletion in the asteroid belt or is there anything else we can fill you in on as it were?"

Rieko looks to the Tribune, "Thank you for your warm welcome." She smiles, "No, we did not have to go too far out of our way.. We have had no difficulties so far." She wonders what is going on at the shp, on the bridge..with what seemed to be a Vinkaar ship nearby. She nods to the Tribune, "I have read about your difficulties and the Ambassador is here to help."

Vudlud Atius eyes the delegation and bows his head. "I am Vudlud Atius, as was said." He appears polite and respectful. "We welcome the Federation to our worlds and greatly appreciate your presence." He folds his arms and slips his hands into his sleeves.

Foulsbane continues scanning the room for anything that looks dangerous

Firefrick looks attentively at the Tribune "Yes we are aware there seems to be an issue between your two planets as to the amounts being taken in the mining operations is the source of some desention. We scanned the belt as we passed by on our way to here. And there seems to be several anomalies not yet understood,,,, Our Ship is investigating them as we speak,"

Ushaara "Oh you have discovered anomalies already! That is wonderful news! To be completely open, we do not know how the resources are being depleted, but it’s very concerning that they are. what we were hoping for was that you could monitor the field for a period, , using your advances sensors and scanners, so that we could ascertain how these valuable resources are being depleted, be that my some natural phenomenon or … oh how do I put this delicately …. unauthorised or declared removal? I just know that is this is resolved with your help it will greatly help open a new door between the Federation and the expanded Kaarion Alliance as a whole, which will be of benefit to us all, a real positive outcome" A smile broadens across her face as again she looks warmly at the ambassador"

Rieko nods to the one called Atius, "Thank you for your welcome." She looks back to Ushaara, "Tribune, we are trying to find out what is causing the mineral supply to dwindle at a rate faster than expected - the Bekaar susupect the Baykaar. and the Baykaar suspect the Bekaar." She thinks to herself with such similar names and a common ancestry they should be one big happy family..but then siblings do have disputes as well.

Atius moves forward. "I respectfully submit, the question: should we be so ready to permit interference from outside forces in our own affairs. I understand the dilemma, of course, but Tribune, many of us feel the same. We can resolve this matter ourselves." His eyes dart to her, and to the Starfleet Officers.

Foulsbane remains quiet.

Firefrick brightens at the tribune's gestures of good will thinking to herself what a great politician she must be, and looking at Atius with some trepidation. "Yes,, we monitored activity on several of the larger asteroids and ION trails too and from both Planets Bekaar and Baykaar. However we detected some additional particle trails that seem to run towards Vinkaarian space. Were you aware of their presence and or use of the Asteroid Belt ?"

Ushaara smiles a little nervously at the news of Vinkaarian ships in the asteroid belt and the advance from Vudlud and glances between the Federation delegates and Vudlud "Would you excuse us a moment while we confer, meanwhile may I offer you some tea or refreshments? We have a good replicator type facsimile here, probably not quite as advanced as yours but it could be exciting to discover what you get?" laughs in a casual way "What would you like, and I will get it brought up for you?" Gently ushering Vudlud to one side as she speaks.

Rieko looks to the Tribune, "No refreshment, thank you. Tribune if I may address Atius, "Sir, I can understand your feelings, but think of this, sometimes it is better to have someone impartial investigate and help in situations. Everyone involved can not be expected to view the situation objectively, so we are here to help...and with our technology we can find answers that may otherwise never be solved." She looks at him through a narrowing gaze, wondering if he has some ulterior motive for not wanting Starfleet here.. She then moves away from the two so they can converse.

Atius eyes Ushaara as she approaches and permits her to move him to one side. Aware of those watching he is all deference, bowing his head to her, but he hisses in a low voice: "Allow them interference now and what happens next? Did you not know the history of Cardassians and Bajor? The minerals we have here of value could be taken by their superior power if we give them too much information. That one even said they have superior technology! We do not want to be slaves to the Federation!" That last sentence was a little louder.

Foulsbane casually observes Vudlud.

Firefrick watches intently at the exchange between the Tribune and her fellow member, trying to get an understanding of their differences, Hearing bits and pieces of their conversation. "Madam Tribune,, I'm sorry I heard part of the conversation,,, I assume was meant for my ears,, and I can assure you both,, we have no expansion aspirations in this region,, we are here simply to assist in any way we can!" looking at Altius angrily, knowing he is up to dividing the proceedings somehow. "Might I also add, our ship has been accosted by and is having some difficulties with a Vinkaarian vessel and we do not know its intentions yet."

Ushaara makes a point of engaging visually and in body language with each of the three delegates from the Federation whilst thanking the helpful science delegate for her valued input, and re-assuring the ambassador "No no we have no worries about Federation expansion quite the opposite" trying her best to make them feel warmly welcomed as friends as she backs away trying to play down the obvious disagreement to have a private talk with Vudlud. "Lower your voice! We don’t need to make these people feel uncomfortable, and stop that infernal hissing you have evolved remember? Now listen to me very closely" as she pulls Vudlud to one side and tries to whisper as best she can but failing dramatically the passion just too high.

Rieko looks over at Fema and raises an eyebrow as she overhears Atius say they do not want to become slaves of the Federation. She watched the two continue to converse in disagreement, takes out her tricorder and runs scans.

Atius looks down at the Tribune with a soft sneer. "It's easy to profess you are here in peace when you have superior firepower and the ability to take whatever you want. Not everyone trusts the Federation, and history shows they cannot be trusted." Despite Ushaara's pull on his arm, he turns to the away team, "And what about your Prime Directive? Does it not state that you shall not interfere in the governance and affairs of other planets?"

Foulsbane continues keeping an eye on everyone

Firefrick leans closely to the XO and whispers, "Thank you," then looks back to the delegates, taking in Atius's words intently, "We are not here to in any way enforce our will or policy on you. And our Prime Directive should prove that in itself, We are as requested to help a fellow member of the Federation with issues possibly beyond their control,, We have evidence that there may be Vinkaarian intrusion into this matter and they are not Members of the Federation" she pause to catch her breath, knowing something else is amiss here, "I reiterate, we are here to help the Kaarian Alliance."

Ushaara tries to silence Vudlud but as he is much bigger and stronger than she finds that a challenge. Tugging his sleeves, she confers with Vudlud in an increasingly animated conversation, her observed demeanour somewhat different from that presented to the Federation as raised voices are overheard "Look however this is happening we need, not want, we NEED to get to the bottom of it and quickly! Baykaar and Brekaar are on the verge of hostilities and that risks wrecking all of the moves to expand the alliance the other systems, including to Vinkaar and creating the united Unrechian alliance, as you must be well aware! Are you not seized of the gravity of the situation?! I will not allow it! My final gift to my people is NOT going to be WAR I refuse to permit it! I don’t care what it takes or what it costs we are going to resolve this peacefully, quickly and deal with the outcome in a way that unites our people not divides it, and if that means we accept external involvement to achieve it then so be. Do I have to remind you Bekaar and Baykaar are already members of the Federation?! That is now enough of this argument we are decided on it and if you don’t agree you need to explain to me right here and now WHY NOT! If that explanation is not good enough I will have you removed and replaced! Also, subject to verification what ARE Vinkaarian ships doing sneaking around in secret in the asteroid belt!?"

Rieko looks to Atius and nods, "That is a very good question. Atius. The answer is we are not going against our Prime Directive. The Prime Directive is the guiding principle of the United Federation of Planets prohibiting us from interfering with the internal development of other civilizations. Basically it is referring to the technological development of a planet, and to some degree culturally as well." She tilts her head as she continues, "As your Tribune has pointed out this planet is already a part of the Federation. So you should have no fear we have any ideas of overtaking your planet or harming you in any way." She smiles. "We're family."

Atius disengages Ushaara from his sleeves and moves towards the away team, his face clearly agitated. He points a finger at Evelyn: "We do not want you here! We are not part of your... 'organization'. I speak for the government of Vinkaar. We are not "intruding" on anything. YOU are the intruders!! You have no right to interfere with us! We do not belong to your Federation, nor," he gestures at Ushaara, "does she speak for our planet. We have rights and we shall be respected!"

Foulsbane observes the situation and prepares himself mentally to take action

Firefrick steps up a bit closer to the Tribune" Madaam Tribune I assure your legacy will be an everlasting tribute to your service to the Alliance and your home world. Then turning to Atius, with a stern face and demeanor "Sir....now that you have revealed yourself as a Vinkaarian and not a member of the Alliance, I can assure you the Federation will under no means be persuaded from assisting the Alliance. My assumption is the Tribune would like to see you become Members of the Alliance which will mean members of the Federation as well. I would insist then upon you and your government to admit your Stealing of there resources from the Belt, as a further gesture of YOUR good intention to unite weith them!"

Ushaara returns to the ambassador pulling the wagging finger of Vudlud out of Evelyn’s face and wiping the scowl from her face and replacing it with the more accustomed warm smile, trying to disguise her embarrassment at the ‘private’ conversation becoming quite so public. "I am so sorry about that we have some internal discussions to have it seems, but rest assured whatever you have found we wish to examine closely. We would need to see this evidence and have it analysed by our team .. not at all that I don’t believe you or mis-trust your findings, obviously we have great faith in your abilities which is why we asked for your help. However this must be verified absolutely and discussed internally before we even think of casting accusations. I do however thank you for your help so far and would strongly encourage you that our paths are entwined as your science officer so accurately put it, we are family, and that was our intention when we joined the Federation and remains so despite the occasional rather loud dissenting voice, but pay that no mind we will deal with it." Turns to look at Vudlud with a scowl the rage trembling corners of her lips the only clue to the feelings under the surface as in a firm and strong tone she says "We need to talk privately, and involve the others, I strongly suggest you say nothing further here until we have done so"

Firefrick turning to the Tribune, "We will of course retire from your presence as you discuss this matter, however please note that we do have strong evidence that The Vinkaarian have as of yet, been honest in whatever dealings they have had with you!"

Rieko makes note that her "beautiful smile" as defined by a suitor Mikael, is not having any affect in this situation. in fact it seemed to provoke more hostility in Vudlud. She frowns, "Atius, as the Ambassador has said we extend a warm welcome to you to become a part of the Federation. We can answer any questions you have and hopefully clear away your suspicions and doubts about us." She shakes her head and looks to the Tribune, "Maybe after your internal talks we can discuss this more calmly." Her suspicions are mounting that the Vinkaarians are the cause of the depletions in resources in the Asteroid belt and they do not seem interested in peace." She hears a beep and says "Excuse me for a moment everyone. I have information coming in on my PADD." She takes a few steps away.

Atius glares to Fema: "YOU cannot dictate anything to Vinkaar. We are a free people! We declare ownership of the asteroid belt, which falls within the dominion of our airspace. The Alliance has no right to it." He draws himself up higher, "Nothing," he hisses loudly, "NOTHING has been stolen by US. We have been ROBBED by YOU!" He points to Ushaara. "There is nothing to discuss. The asteroid belt has been mined by Bekaar and Baykaar without any intent of sharing anything with us. They have had more than their fair share. No more. What is left is ours." Despite his strong words he suddenly looks slightly confused. "I won't stay to bandy words with you anymore!"

Foulsbane continues to stand ready should any action need to be taken

Ushaara: "As I said we will need to have further conversations with or without Vudlud, I have a preference but will keep that to myself" Glaring at Vudlud, "Please don’t be discouraged by this one voice, VInkaar is a planet full of supportive Unrechians and there is a strong movement there as well as in all the other planets in this system for a United Unrechian alliance as strong and proud members of the United Federation of Planets. These dissenters must be heard but they pose no threat against the volume and weight of their opposing voices. We will resolve this. If you could transmit your findings I will use those in our discussions with the Vinkaarian ruling council."

Rieko eyes widen as she hears Atius declare ownership of the Asteroid belt. Rieko looks to Atius, "So, you admit that it is your planet that has been unlawfully depleting the resources! You should calm yourself and look at the positive possibilities for your planet in joining the Alliance and joining the Federation. We can work this out, we just have to communicate. We have to discuss what everyone needs and wants and compromise. It can be done. I've seen positives come from more negative situations, than this one." She looks to the Tribune and smiles, Madame Tribune, I can understand why you are in your position, and the Alliance will surely miss you if you retire within a year..Maybe you should reconsider that. She runs her fingers through her hair." Thank you for your reassurances. They make sense...and I will share the data from our Ship with you."

Atius just shakes his head, "The belt is ours, if anyone is unlawful it's the Alliance, who cut us out of ownership and took it all for themselves!! Pah!" He suddenly shimmers. Without another word, he vanishes.

Quentin Foulsbane relaxes. For the moment.

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

MISSION IMAGES
===============

Bridge Team

James T. Hode (Capt), CO ((Poison Toocool))

Nems Johari (Lt JG), Tactical/Science ((Knightspet))

Hal Jordan (Lt Cmdr), Helm/Engineering ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Away Team

Evelyn Rieko (Lt Cmdr), Acting XO

Fema Firefrick (LT), Starfleet Ambassador ((Firefrick))

Quentin Foulsbane (LT), (Security)

Vudlud Atius, Ushaara's associate ((Poison Toocool))

Ushaara and Vudlud Atius

Ushaara, Vudlud Atius, Evelyn Rieko

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”