"Metallicity" - USS JANEWAY 05: 180920.1745

The USS Taylorholic Durant, referred to as the USS Durant, is named for the late Admiral Taylorholic Durant in honor of her contributions to UFS and for exemplifying what an excellent officer should be. We are honored to bear her name. The Durant is a Luna Class Science Vessel, assigned to explore and chart the unexplored areas of the Delta Quadrant. We are also on diplomatic assignments, as we are usually the first contact for many planets with warp technology. Our Science vessel converts into an impressive combat vessel when warranted.

We use Post Order/Para Roleplay (ParaRP), which means before our Roleplay begins the game master will list each roleplayer's name in the order they will make their posts. This guarantees each person adds to the creation of our fascinating stories. Para RP means our posts are paragraphs that can be short or long, emoting our thoughts and feelings along with dialog. We feel Para RP adds more depth to our stories. If you would like to try Para RP request a ridealong with us! We will be happy to teach you.

Roleplay Times: Saturdays 9:00am SLT
Commanding Officer: Evelyn Rieko
Executive Officer: Greenlantern Excelsior

Moderators: Evelyn Rieko, Greenlantern Excelsior

Poison Toocool
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral
Duty Post: Captain/CO
Ship/Station Posted: USS Baker NCC-221
Grid: Second Life

=^= STARFLEET COMMAND ORDER BEGINS =^=

USS JANEWAY
OBERTH CLASS
SVALR STIARNA, COMMAND
STARDATE: 180920

DEPLOYMENT ORDER PT684TH

OBJECTIVE: Sector 003C (Jarleth), Grid B3.

SCIENTIFIC SURVEY: USS Janeway is ordered to Jarleth. A strange object of unknown original has been reported on a lifeless planet in the Gneb System.

Task: The residents of Gneb IV who have just achieved warp status are now alarmed by the presence of a metallic object on Gneb I. Rather than risk their one warp capable ship by going to investigate - and perhaps a little reluctant to find anything dangerous - they have request the assistance of Starfleet in determining what it is they have found.

Number of days: indeterminate

Security Clearance: Level 2, Need to know.

Personnel: Standard crew compliment: 182

Starfleet Command: has issued the orders 180919.2142

=^= STARFLEET COMMAND ORDER ENDS =^=

LCARS REFERENCES
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Oberth_class
http://www.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.p ... Sector_Map
Poison Toocool
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral
Duty Post: Captain/CO
Ship/Station Posted: USS Baker NCC-221
Grid: Second Life

CAST OF CHARACTERS
====================

Svalr Stiarna, Capt ((Poison Toocool)) - Command
Nova Yuki, Cadet ((kittymynx69)) - Intel/Tactical/Comms
Kesri Hesse, Cadet - OPs/Helm
Miriam Wirefly, Cadet ((Miriamnataliakon))- Science
Kyle Rayner, LTcmdr ((Greenlantern Excelsior)) - Engineering
Alexthewolf123, Cadet - Medical

Left to right: Jordan, Yuki, Alex, Stiarna, Hesse, Wirefly
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

RP NARRATIVE
=============

Svalr Stiarna looks at her PADD and hopes they will arrive home soon, she just remembered it was her cousins birthday and there was a party she was supposed to go to... although everyone always got too drunk and sang Klingon opera. She sighed quietly and said, "Status reports, all stations. Helm, ETA to Pinastri?" If they could only be late... but no, the Janeway crew was far too efficent.

Nova Yuki looks at the information in her visor as well as her console, monitoring the channels for any information that would be needed to relay in a moment’s notice. Focusing on her task was key. {Apoligies. Computer was chugging]

Kesri Hesse walks onto the bridge and briskly makes her way to the her station. She taps Ens. Mortez on the shoulder and nods to him, letting him know she's ready to take over for him. Once he gets up, she takes her station and adjusts her seat. She verifies the speed and that course is set for home. 'Warp 8, we must be in a hurry to get home', she thinks to herself with a little giggle. She calculates the ETA to home and hears the captain speak up. "Course set for home sir, at warp 8 we will arrive in about 1 hour and 11 minutes. We're about 20 minutes ahead of schedule, sir.", she says with a smile. She's quite proud of this little vessel. Granted, she's only a cadet and really hasn't had much experience with many vessels, this is her first real mission and they say you never forget your first.

Miriam T'Preea Wirefly sits as ordered at the science station looking over the systems and starts a scan in long range all seems very operative

Kyle Rayner runs his hands across the Engineering station with practiced efficiency, checking the indications. Everything in the green, engines easily cruising at warp 8, and the warp core supplying power to vital and nonvital systems. It was a good day to be an Engineer. "Captain, Engineering reports all systems operating at peak efficiency, no maintenance in progress, and enough antimatter available for a good long ride."

Alexthewolf123 taps at the console reading the information in front of me "Medical reports normal Captain."

Stiarna nods to everyone, frowning slightly at the report that they will be home twenty minutes early. She was sure Ralph was checking with Peedy Thor OPs to see where they were and what time she'd be home. "Thank you Medical, I hope sickbay is back on track after that issue with the turbolift that went awry... and the injuries that resulted..." Thank goodness she'd been in her ready room when it malfunctioned or she might have been thrown around in front of a group of cadets. She shudders at the thought. She starts to consider what might make a suitable birthday present when she hears the chirp from behind her. "Got a message there, Mr Yuki?"

Yuki taps to the side of her visor to scan any recent messages for the USS JANEWAY. Seeing that they did received a message, she prepped to have it told to the ship. “Aye Captain. We just received a message from Gneb IV. Do you want me to patch it through Sir?” Holding her finger on her console to answer the message.

Hesse has heard about Genb IV, several other cadets were talking about it. She tries to remember what they had said, it was something about being very new to Warp capability. She has to imagine there has barely been an establishment of diplomacy with them. 'I wonder what they could be wanting?', she thinks to herself. She starts to pull up star charts to locate it, just in case.

Wirefly: Genb IV if memory serves me correct, the Vulcan database recorded them as pre-warp, before I left new Vulcan to join the star fleet academy

Rayner scans the console and stops as something odd catches his eye. The ship's warp field doesn't look quite right. There appears to be a ... "dent" near the bow, the field lines bent out of shape. He frowns at the indication and then begins to smile as he notices the screen to the right also has the same "dent," but in the opposite direction. Standing, he inspects the screens closely and finds a tiny black magnet stuck to the metal console between the screens. He removes the magnet and both screens return to normal. Looks like Lieutenant Bostwick got him again! Well, it was only fair, after he had put a metal pin inside Bostwick's tricorder so it indicated North was in every direction on the last away team mission. He would have to think up some creative gag to pull that hadn't been used before. "Should be interesting, just a short side diversion it seems."

Alex looks over "yes that gave us quite a scare Captain. but everyone's okay now and Sick Bay is back to normal." he smiles and continues tapping at the console

Stiarna looks suddenly hopeful. "Patch it through, Tactical. Where the heck is Gneb IV?" She had heard the name but only vaguely in a brief report somewhere. She nods to Science, "yes I heard something about them recently..." she wracks her brain trying to remember what it was she'd heard. "Well everyone, just in case, start looking up info on Jarleth Sector and the Gneb Star System..." she tried to sound matter-of-fact but if they were going to divert she would miss the party. Her voice rose a little in spite of herself, she sounded eager to change course.

Yuki press a few commands on her console and pulls up the message and plays the recording. ‘Greetings. We are the residents of Gneb IV. We have some rather concerning news. After Achieving warp status, We have detected a metallic object on Gneb I. Because we have only one working ship with Warp capabilities, so we can not risk investigation of the presence on the planet. We have sent a request to the Starfleet for assistance in the matter and determine what is on Gneb I. To whom ever the starlet sends this to, please respond in the up most urgency.’ Closes the message. “Your orders Captain?”

Hesse locates Gneb IV in the Jarleth sector. Having noticed the captains change in tone she isn't quite sure if the prospect of changing course was a pro or a con for the Captain, but she couldn't help but notice that it indicated a mood switch. While she thinks it's excitement, she isn't quite sure. Knowing about the other cadet's conversation, she isn't sure if she should say anything but felt holding back knowledge the Captain might need was ill-advised, so she speaks up, "Sir, some other cadets were talking about Gneb IV, it seems they have just recently become warp capable". It seems even changing course to investigate Gneb would take them at least an hour outside their time table, each way, making them an hour and 40 minutes late getting back. And, that was assuming they didn't even find anything there.

Wirefly: Change of course, I was looking forward to the trip back to star fleet command and to the academy. so when I graduate and have my full uniform and return home to New Vulcan in a Star-Fleet uniform and show the Ministry of Science that I made it.. maybe its my human side showing that I'm fighting, for emotions are illogical.. Duty is duty... Sir, long range scans of Sector 003C (Jarleth), Grid B3 seem all normal at this time.

Rayner pulls up the Delta Quadrant sector map and studies it. Jarleth Sector is 004B, while Pinastri Sector is 007G. Apparently this would be a little more than a side diversion after all. He checks over the screens, noting manifold pressures and temperatures are comfortably down in the middle of the green zone. "Captain, I can give you a little more speed if you need it, say warp factor 8.9 or so, without straining our systems too much."

Alex taps at my console looking up information on Gneb IV and the species that inhabit it

Stiarna raises an eyebrow. She opens her mouth to order a channel be opened to Starfleet Command but then her console beeps and she receives a standard order to divert to Jarleth. "Alright... Doctor, what do we know about these life forms? Gnebs? Sounds like they are pretty anxious about a bit of space junk." She chuckles. "Mr Hesse, lay in a course for Jarleth at top warp... Mr Rayner, can we initiate quantum slip stream or have you taken the deflector apart again?" She turns to Science, "how close to we need to be for you to catch a glimpse of this thing." She adds: "Mr Yuki, please send a return message to Gneb that we are on our way."

Yuki nods, understanding her orders and sends a reply message fast to Gnab IV saying that the USS JANEWAY will hail their call for assistance and will divert course to the Gneb system.

Hesse thinks to herself, 'It will be interesting to meet a species that just recently discovered warp drive, almost like going back in time. After all look at what all the Humans managed to accomplish after establishing it. The Andorians had it much longer but didn't accomplish quite what the Humans had in the same time period.' She hoped that she would get to meet one of them. Hearing the captain's order she alters course for the Jarleth sector and increase speed to warp 8.9, she glances over at Commander Rayner, "8.9", she says, most like a statement than a question, but keeps looking at him as if waiting for a reply.

Wirefly: Sir observing or even probing this object that these Gnebs are worried about ( another uselass emotion) should be fairly easy and we can do it with in a reasonable distance.. depending upon the size of this metallic object

Rayner winces a little as the Captain throws a jab in his direction. "Quantum slipstream drive is available at your command, Captain. All associated systems are showing ready. And just to remind you, the deflector dish was showing a 0.5 degree deviation due to shipyard workers not tightening the bolts properly at the last overhaul. We snugged them down with a torque wrench set to the required specifications, so now everything is shipshape and Bristol fashion." Turning to the helmsman, he says "If we go to slipstream drive we'll be moving a heck of a lot faster than warp 8.9."

Alex: "Seems odd they are scared of something light years away... no reason to feel threatened by it" taps the console to look up the species in LCARS to see what their psychological assessment might be

Stiarna says, "Take us into QSD then, helm and advise ETA. Science, would you recommend preparing a probe or... shall we just swing the Janeway in for a looksee?" She sounds cheerful and happy to be speeding away from Pinastri to a far far sector far far away from a birthday party she didn't want to go to anyway. "Bristol fashion, eh?"

Yuki combs through the information and decides to use her private back info channels from her pre academy days and piggy backed on some rather interesting information between two Gneb channels. Still scrambling to get the info, she brought it up to the captain’s attention. “Captain I am picking up some information on the Gneb channels on my info net. It is a bit concerning given the situation. Shall I elevate us to Yellow Alert?

Hesse looks back at the Commander and thinks to herself, 'yes sir, and if she orders QSD, I'll happily engage it, however as the current order is maximum warp, is 8.9 acceptable or not?', but before she can actually say it, she hears the captain order QSD, which solves the problem completely. She calculates the distance as slipstream, and assuming the Commander can keep the stability equations balanced, she comes up with a number. She disengages warp and engages the QSD. She speaks up, "Sir at Slipstream we'll arrive at Gneb in just under 19 minutes."

Wirefly: Sir, I do indeed think a probe would be more fashionable to investigate, But my curiosity has it as will these Gnebs have a worry if another object appears without a star ship in the area but long range? Your orders Sir, I will make it so.

Rayner is happy to be using the quantum slipstream drive again. It was really a lot easier on all ship's systems than warp drive, like traveling through a long, smooth tunnel that was isolated from normal space. There was zero possibility of them running into any asteroids, planets, or stars, which was also nice. It was a good thing that they had that phase variance problem under control. Dropping out of slipstream prematurely was about the most stressful thing that could happen to a starship these days. He turned to the Captain. "Yes, Bristol fashion. It's an old nautical term that means, basically, shipshape. So the phrase is redundant but it has a lot of historical coolness about it."

Alex: based on the information provided Gnebs seem to be generally calm, nervous, and jumpy

/con't
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain

Stiarna couldn't help but wonder what a Gneb looked like. The name was odd. She pictured something short with a pig-like snout. Where that image came from, she couldn't say. Maybe some class in Academy ages ago. She frowned at Nova: "If you feel it's warranted, take us to Yellow Alert. Explain your report?" She looks to science, "Mr Wirefly, prepare the probe but we'll keep it as plan B, as you may be right, another object heading into their system might cause hysterics." She eyes Kyle: "Look ahead and assist helm to find a suitable place to drop out of QSD, make sure we are close to scanning range. Mr Hesse, make your course for the Gneb sun rather than Gneb IV. Let's do our assessment first. Tactical, work with engineering to boost power to long range scans so we can see what the fuss is all about as soon as we get there." She raises an eyebrow at the doctor. "I guess they are nervous and jumpy today."

Yuki nods as she engages a yellow alert. prepping her report as to her reasoning as to why to bring it to yellow alert. “Captain. According to what I can pick up. It seems that the Gneb might know of something or at least withholding information to us. It does warrant concerns about the situation we are going into.”

Security panel: Yellow alert

Hesse modifies the course for the sun as ordered, however the time difference is literally a fraction of a second and doesn't feel it's worth mentioning. "Course modified for the sun, sir", she states. Looking back over at the Commander, she transfers the coordinates for 3 possible exit points to get his thoughts on. "These are the initial three points I identified Commander, do any of them look ideal for you?" The starts thinking about the fact that they are newly warp capiable and an idea occurs to her. "Sir, what if they aren't jumpy? They have just recently started using warp technology and obviously drew our attention, what if they did manage to draw the attention of people who would use their inexperience against them?"

Wirefly: Sir yes Sir preparing a probe, with long range scans and short also. thinks to self "Mr?" looks at self, last I knew I am female..

Rayner watches his indications carefully as the ship kicks into slipstream. the familiar tunnel forms around the ship, and engine power output drops back down to levels comparable to low warp two readings. He hears the Captain's order and looks closely at the slipstream tunnel. It was a characteristic of this kind of travel that the safe exit points could be detected at extremely long range, looking something like open spaces in the tunnel walls. He configures the deflector dish output and then turns to the helmsman. "We're now sending out a quick verteron pulse every second. The pulses travel down the tunnel and get 'caught' on the safe exit points. So you should see a bright circular glow around every exit point. That should help us know when to drop out of QSD." He looks at the coordinates she sent him. "It looks like the third point in that sequence is the one that we want."

Alex: reading the information from my console "Captain my readings show the atmosphere on Gneb should be suitable for most humaniods. the planet appears to have a water source and breathable air." i tap my console and continue searching for more information

Stiarna: "Thank you Doctor, that's handy to know... it seems like the Gnebs might also be sneaky, eh?" She feels her instincts coming to life. "And they called us for help. So, do you suspect that they have designs on us or our ship, or is it something else? Mr Wirefly, get that probe into the torpedo tubes and ready to fire, set its course for a full circuit of Gneb I. Mr Yuki, ready weapons but keep them offline... and standby for full sensor sweep of the Gneb system. Not just Gneb I, all of it. The item on Gneb I might be a ruse. If I take your meaning, Mr Yuki. So let's leave no stone unturned." She looks to the viewscreen, "Drop us into full impulse upon arrival, Mr Hesse, turn the ship for best aspect."

Yuki hears her orders and rapidly inputs commands for weapons at the ready to go online on a hairpin trigger while getting the scanners for a system wide sweep ready upon entry to the system. “Weapons at the ready and scanners standing by upon entry.”

Hesse looks back at the Commander, "yes sir, thrid one it is.", and smiles. As she sees them approaching the exit, she aligns the ship for an exit, and drops to impluse so as not actually fly into their sun, which would leave a very bad mark on her very short career. Using just the impluse engines to align them for best scanning range.

Wirefly: scanners up operatioal scanning te area still a unknown objaact we can put it on the viewing screen sir

Rayner hears the order to ready weapons, and activates diagnostic routines just to double check that everything is ready to go. Phasers put a hell of a load on the warp core, luckily only for a few seconds at a time. He thinks about designing an energy storage reservoir to use as the phaser power source. It would allow for longer bursts and be much less stressful on ship's systems. He watches the screens as the helmsman exits from the slipstream right on cue. "Nice job, Helm!"

Alex: i look over to the captain "i'm not sure if readying weapons is a good idea Captain. we don't want to seem like another threat to them after being asked for help."

<< The Janeway dropped out of quantum slip stream and slid into impulse, smoothly entering the Gneb system. The bridge crew began the work of preparing to launch the probe and scan the system. Suddenly, the ship shakes violently. >>

Stiarna: "Understood Doctor, trying to be prepared for all possible scenarios while maintaining a peaceful look." The Janeway slid out of slipstream into impulse... and then trembled like mad. She clung to her chair. "Red alert! Are we under attack? Helm, evasive maneuvers!"

Yuki: sending the ship to red alert and begins checking wide range scanner of the ship and the surrounding area, picking up a tractor beam attempting to lock onto the ship. “Sir a tractor beam is locking in on us. It looks as my suspicion that the Gnebs were not being truthful and are hiding something.”

Security panel: Red alert

Hesse smiles at the Commander, "thank you, sir". She announces, "Sir, we've arrived at Gne....", and is interrupted by the ship shaking suddenly. She looks at her controls thinking she did something wrong, but they have definitely exited Slipstream and the controls aren't the issue. Hearing the captain's orders for evasive maneuvers, she goes back into training mode instinctively, and while at impluse, instinctively uses Riker A-2, as it's one of her favorites and frequently rehearsed on the holodeck.

Wirefly: scanners is picking up a pulse tractor beam from the object Sir , I concur with Nova these Gnebs are up to something and very untruthful

Rayner sits there startled for a second and then instinctively checks his console. Everything looks good, warp core churning out power, plasma conduits conducting it efficiently to the various places where it was being used, no red lights or out of specification indications. "Shields are holding, Captain. No damage. Tractor beam should be unable to lock on to us with our shields up."

Alex holds onto the console as the ship is shaken i look back to the console "injury reports coming in from decks 3 through 5 Captain." i tap the console as reports arrive on screen

Stiarna felt the ship veer as the tractor beam tried to lock on and Helm tried to avoid it. "Mr Wirefly, can we get our probe away for a better look? Mr Yuki, can we target the source of that beam?" A quick image of the Borg flitted through her mind, the stuff of childhood nightmares. She tried to bring herself back to the moment and listen to the reports from the crew. "Doctor, since you have hands free, contact Starfleet Command and let them know we are under attack from the Gneb. Mark the time index." She leans forward, "Helm, can you move us away from that tractor beam?"

Yuki immediately tracked the source of the beam. “Source of the tractor beam found. Bringing it up screen.” grabs an image and posts it up on the main screen of the source of the tractor beam

Hesse gets the ship far enough way from whatever is trying to lock onto them, she hasn't even had a moment to look then switches to Paris B-6 and thinking about what she learned about Tom Paris, she has an idea worthy of him, and moves the ship towards the ionosphere of the sun they came out of slipstream by, using the ionization of it to help prevent a lockon, and the gravity of it to help pull them around it trying to keep the sun between them and whatever is trying to lock on a tractor beam. She looks over to the Commander quickly and says, "Sir, watch those shields, they're about to get very hot."

Wirefly: yes Sir probe fired and scanners full operational and scanners searching for what this is ,, wait that is partial Borg technology mixed with pulse wave the object is made up of tritanium alloy no other information at this time Sir

Rayner checks the board to see what the tractor beam is doing. It undergoes rapid changes, and he realizes that they are trying to match Janeway's shield frequency. "Captain, I am varying our shield frequency since our opponents are trying to match it. It's improbable that they could do that, since their tractor beam appears to be of an archaic design. In fact, we could send a feedback pulse back through their beam and cause them to have a very bad day, if you like." He looks over at the helm, smiling. "Don't worry about my shields, they can take it!"

Alex: "aye sir!" i tap away at the console reporting the attack to Starfleet Command still receiving reports from Sick Bay and other decks

Stiarna hears the dreaded word, 'Borg' and makes a quick decision, "Send your feedback pulse, Mr Rayner. NOW!" Turning to Nova: "All available power to phasers and vary the frequency, in case we need them. Scan for any vessels. Borg or otherwise." She adds, "Mr Hesse, plot an escape course. Mr Wirefly, get all the scans you can get in the next two minutes, because we will be out of here!"

Yuki looks through her visor for the back channels of information and monitor the comms. Relaying it as best as she could given how the signal was coming though while sending all power to the phasers and constantly adjusted the frequency at an alarming rate that no living being could pull off. Scanning for all vessels in the area and extends the reach of the scans.

Hesse replies, "Yes sir!", and as she's already planning on using the gravity of the sun, she changes the angle slightly to let her bounce of the edge of the chronosphere and have a chance to get into warp. Sets a course at warp 8, and thinks to herself, 'I hope he's right about what the shields can take', right before the ship bounces off the chronosphere, ready to engage warp, if they survive the bounce....

Wirefly: Sir they have destroyed our probe no further information coming in scanning the region and area for other ships or incoming threats.. they have blocked our scanners not able to scan further.. my immediate suggestion we should move away fast before we are drawn into a battle. of this unknown technology Sir shields holding at this point Sir

Rayner prepares the tractor beam feedback pulse. The ship shudders as high energy plasma and lots of heavy charged particles are ejected, even drawing some hot solar particles along with them. The other ship's tractor beam, pulling as hard as it can, draws a huge chunk of flaming hot matter and energy right into their hull. It was a very, very bad day indeed for the Engineers aboard that ship. He almost felt sorry for them. Almost. "Feedback pulse away, Captain, and oh my, look at the sparks fly!"

Alex: i look toward the captain "permission to leave the bridge. they'll need me in Sick Bay."

...... (Doctor Alex, having requested permission to go to sickbay to help deal with the casualties that occured when the Janeway was hit by the tractor beam, exits the bridge and heads to the turbolift, tapping his combadge to inform the Head Nurse he was on his way.) ....

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain

MISSION IMAGES
===============

Captain Svalr Stiarna (Poison Toocool)

Cadet Kesri Hesse

Cadet Miriam T'Preea Wirefly (Miriamnataliakon)

Cadet Alexthewolf123

Cadet Nova Yuki (Kittymynx69)

Lt Cmdr Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)

Good ship and a good crew

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”