:toscomm: :federation: Hot News! :federation: :toscomm:

Have an issue? Submit a ticket to UFStarfleet Support! (Must be logged into the forums to use this)
or through the UFS Discord Support System (More info by clicking here!)

If you are unable to login to your Forum account for whatever reason, you can either A) Contact your Commanding Officer to have your issue submitted on your behalf to UFStarfleet Support website or B) Contact CompOps using the UFS Discord Support System.

Did you know UFS has a Discord server - join your fellow fleetmates there today - Link at the top of this page.

TDRP025: 170320-170420 "Duty and the Beast"

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We support UFSA as much as we can and we provide mentorship to the JOOP & CGSD graduate programs.
We roleplay in-world on a drop-in and scheduled basis. We also add to our history and environment by writing RP Narratives, Mission Logs & Personal Stories for the UFS forum.
Inspired by the ship's namesake, the late Admiral Taylorholic Durant, crew members work to exemplify the behaviour, actions & vision of United Federation Starfleet in everything they do. Our first rule: to be kind to one another. And have fun.
Please note we practice Post Order (P.O.) and One Post in our Roleplays. For further info, contact the C.O.!

Roleplay Times: Sundays 11:15am SLT
Commanding Officer: Poison Toocool
Executive Officer: Evelyn Rieko

Moderators: Greenlantern Excelsior, Poison Toocool, Evelyn Rieko

Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: SL

Poison Toocool
Captain's Log
Stardate 170420
--------------------

It is difficult to speak of this and the logs from this event have been marked as classified. Every participant who was on the bridge has been ordered to never speak what occurred due to Starfleet Regulations. But I must record what happened. To me.

It started a few hours ago. At that time we were tracking a signal that we had first detected on 170303 when the Durant sustained damage to the bridge due to sabotage at the Entaba Peace Talks. We’d been following this signal and attempting to decipher it for some days.

As we left a newly charted nebula in our wake, we found a binary system in front of us. It apeared the signal was emanating from this location, and we set course toward the system, detecting eleven planets and several moons.

The X.O. reported telepathic communication with a lifeform she called ‘The Beings’. It appeared, from what she could glean from the contact, that they were friendly to us and aware of what had occurred. According to them, there was a rogue component of their people who were unwilling to share the ‘underspace’ with other lifeforms and therefore, this faction had tried to disrupt the Entaba Peace Conference. The Beings wished to meet with us.

I ordered stationkeeping pending arrangements for this meeting. Given what we knew already about this new-to-us lifeform, I remained concerned that the ship and crew be protected. Each department had their orders to keep everyone busy, and I left the bridge to work in my ready room. I felt the need of a break so I lowered the lights and began a quiet meditation that usually calms my mind.

In a kind of waking dream, I was aware of events occurring but at a distance. I felt the hum of the ship as she moved forward, in direct violation of the order for full stop. I could only surmise that something had happened that made such a move necessary. I tried to lift my hand to tap my combadge but it was though I was trapped or bound in some way. I attempted to call to the computer but again, I was frozen. I began to feel a sense of panic. It was small, but growing.

They knew what I was. That was my greatest fear. That my true nature would be used as a weapon against those who serve with me. I tapped deeper inside, to the strength of what is at the core of me. I do not know how long I fought with this… other consciousness that attempted to control me. I began to sense it weakening, and dug deeper still, to the darkest part, that is yet full of light. My head began to clear.

In my.. communication with my telepathic captor, I was aware of… images… as I was able to resist It, I realized what I was seeing was a vision of the bridge. This.. Other, was trying to control the ship. At first I didn’t know why. To destroy us? If that was the aim, sending us at a fast pace towards this binary system would certainly provide opportunity for damage.

I struggled to change the balance of power and probe its mind. I felt panic again. But it was not all me. My empathic sense was picking up the urgency of this Other. It needed to move the ship as quickly as possible, with as little damage as possible, to the moon of the second planet.

“Why,” I asked in my mind.

There was no reply.

“Why?”

Then I saw. They… the Others, needed to get the ship under their control before the.. Ah… it made sense. The Beings that Cheryl had contacted were the.. benevolent and friendly rulers of their kind. The Others were like a kind of Macquis. They protested and sometimes attacked the innocent to make their point. They wanted the Durant. And its crew.. If there were enough of the Others, the crew could be controlled.

I felt the desperation of this Other. It needed to get to the second moon before its strength was depleted

I got to my feet. Like someone just learning to walk again, I leaned against the wall on my way to the door. The Bridge was just on the other side. Taking a deep breath I focussed my mind on that which is within me. The door opened.

"Reducing to one quarter impluse until we get systems back online,” Spet said.

"No," came the order. "Full impulse, plot that orbit and engage."

"That course of action is not recommended," said T'Prain.

"Helm, engage," a voice ordered again.

"Plotting orbital course of moon, full impluse. Ready," Spet said.

It took all my strength to shout: "Belay that order, Mister.” I took a few wobbling steps onto the bridge and saw it.. The Other. It was like looking at myself. Its eyes met mine and then I knew. It was having to control Sprout, me, possibly T’Prain, and it was losing strength with every moment I fought back. I did not know if Spet would obey but I called “Full stop.”

I heard a noise from T’Prain and it was enough to warn me. I turned, and saw Sprout coming towards me. His mind was hidden from me. It was using my officer against me. Anger spurted within, but not for him. I had to be gentle, yet fight him off. I could hear It, urging Spet to make course for the moon, but I had to contend with Sprout. Finally I flung him away and he hit the deck, but not hard. I took a moment to wipe my hair from my eyes and saw T’Prain, clinging to a console, a phaser in her hand.

I could hear the voice in my mind too. I knew she was being told to shoot me. How could she know which one of us was real? I looked directly at her. Then I allowed what is in me to come alive. I revealed myself. I morphed.

Danger was near. The human male. Snarling, hackles raised, she warned him. She smelt the sudden scent of fear. He waved his paws and disappeared through some flat bush thing.

A high pitched sound rent the air. A body fell.

She growled low, keen eyes fixing on the warrior woman. The female dropped her stick and then slid to the floor.

Only one left. It was sitting looking at lights. She backed away. Instincts said he was no threat to her. But she was trapped in this odd shaped meadow cave. She backed away again. Under some cover. In the shade of some strange branch thing. Eyes wary.

When I… awoke, I was not sure how long had passed. From where I crouched on the floor, I could see that Spet was still sitting at Helm. T’Prain lay on the floor. I reached for my combadge, “Medical team to the bridge,” I said in a tired voice. “Bridge officers to the Bridge.”

I reached to the console above me and pulled myself up on shakey legs. Moving to OPs I confirmed that Helm had obeyed my order for stationkeeping. The Other lay silent on the floor behind Spet.

I looked to him then. And my heart fell.

=^=
Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral

United Federation Starfleet
Chief Medical Officer's Mission Report
Stardate: 170420
Report submitted by: Captain Data Axel
Subject: USS Taylorholic Durant Mission Report
------
Medical notes: Stardate 170420
------
Doctor's log:

LT T'Prain a crew member who is Klingon/Human Hybrid came to sickbay with a broken arm. She had fainted to the floor of the bridge after firing a phaser at "Toocool". She was given a osteogenic stimulator session and told to come back once a day for further treatment of the broken bone. And informed the ship counselor to get a session set up for her as she did aim to fire upon something similar as her Captain which does takes it toll upon humanoids regardless of species and what they do say.

Cmdr Russell Sprout a Human, was under telepathic control a good amount of time. Due to a brush off with the Captain where he tried to attack her, Mr. Sprout got a few bruises and some minor cuts. As he was under control for the time he was I have given him bedrest for the rest of the week and given him a 5cc dose of Trypyophan to help him feel better. I have taken a deep scan of the Cmdr and will study it to see. As well as told Mr Sprout to go to the Ship Counselor if he felt the need for it.

The Other - the Other looks like COMM Toocool. This thing is a energy kind of being, who has its lifeforce draining from it. It did go into a form of stasis when it was stunned. I have never encountered such a being before it is quite fascinating. I wish to study this more in detail.

COMM Toocool is physically well, but psychologically not too good and ordered her to take 48hrs off duty for R&R to get relaxed, and to come back to me if there was anything.

----- Death Protocol -----

Worst part of being a doctor are moments like this, Ensign Spet one of our human crew members. He died saving the ship. After thorough examination of his body I noticed he did unfortunately have a mental struggle. He served well and is now in peace.

End Report
Captain Data Axel, M.D. C.M.O.
Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral

Poison Toocool
Captain's Log, Supplemental
Stardate 170421
--------------------

I have agreed to transfer the entity that took my form to the custody of The Beings. They are unsure if they can assist it to revive or not. But if it lives it will be punished under their laws for the sad death of Ensign Spet and the acts of sabotage and mind infiltration inflicted on the Durant.

Toocool out.
Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral

United Federation Starfleet
Chief Medical Officer's Mission Report
Stardate: 170422

Report submitted by: Captain Data Axel
Subject: Assessment of Telepathic Control
------
Medical notes: Stardate 170422
------
Doctor's log, supplemental:

Got the report from one of my doctors, as it seems the mental strain is taking its toll. After further investigation it appears the telepathic control caused severe brain injury. So I am worried, if and when the other three who it did happen to can recover from it. It did cause one death. But as it has gone more than 48hrs since the incident I do suspect COMM Toocool, CMDR Sprout and LT T'Prain should make full recovery, but all in due time. All we can do is wait, and continue do random checks on the patients as well as counseling when need be.

=^=
Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral

RP CAST:
Comm Cheryl Skinstad - XO
Captain Data Axel,MD - Medical
LT T'Prain ((Isis Gaelyth)) - Science
Commodore Poison Toocool - CO