Personal Logs- Drewski Northman

Moderators: Drewski Northman, Siobhan Crystal

Drewski Northman
Command - Captain
Command - Captain
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Atlas
Grid: Second Life

I sigh as I take off my long leather coat, running a finger over a scorch mark added to the collection of scratches and stains from years of use. I hang the coat in the closet and then sit at my desk with a glass of cool water, staring out as the stars slide by...

**Computer, begin personal logs.**

Stardate 200406

This is my first log since coming aboard almost 3 months ago. I’ve been negligent, I know...Starfleet is a stickler for logs and paperwork. But, Commodore Gerhadsen asked me to keep one, so here we are. It’s hard to believe that almost three whole months have passed since I joined the fleet. Mom and Dad would be proud, I think. They always wanted me to join Starfleet and satisfy that explorer’s wanderlust while doing something to help others. That’s what ultimately brought me back to Pinastri to join the Academy after wandering on my own for so long....

I hope that I’m making them proud, if they’re watching from somewhere. I have to believe they are...and maybe we’ll find some way to peek beyond the veil. That’s why I chose the Science Division...well that and I’ve already spent so much time exploring and poking at strange things on my own that I couldn’t help but gravitate to the sciences. Even if I don’t find the answer to that great question...”what lies beyond”....surely I can answer some other ones, and what a ship to look for answers!

The Maxwell is old, outgunned, and lacking in modern technology, but it has such a charm, and the science facilities and dual deflector array more than make up for the lack of firepower. This is a science officer’s dream come true! I’m sure there’s no mystery this little ship can’t crack, if we can manage to stay out of scraps.

We just got back from my first away mission: a real doozy. We tracked down this shady character named Dende, supposed to be an artist type. I thought for sure he ran off with our latinum, but it seems that pirates scooped both him and the latinum up. We recovered the artist and our missing latinum, was a fight to do it though, from fighting our way out of an underground mine to being rescued by the Maxwell landed on the surface. We would have been goners for sure if a couple other Federation ships hadn’t shown up at just the right time to help us with the pirates.

That’s not all though....we’ve faced nuke-slinging death cults, had a computer malfunction that almost ended badly, barely made it out of a synestia after being chased by some kind of unmanned ships. Seems this scrappy ship attracts trouble. I suppose that’s all part of the charm.

It’s weird, being on a ship that is. Even though the Maxwell is a small ship by Federation standards, its so full of people to me. That’s what I get for traveling alone for 10 years in barely held together ships. It’ll take some time to adjust to the people: walk out of my quarters and bam, “good morning Ensign!” Not used to that. Noise, people, always some kind of activity going on. It’s like night and day difference. It’s not all bad. Te’ellis, our Romulan chef, got me into this holoshow called “Borg and the Beautiful.” The captain wasn’t too plussed when she found out we had watched it on the main viewer...whoops.

I think it will be good here. I’d almost say that this crew is starting to feel like family, and that’s not something I’d ever think I’d have after so long. I think you’d like them, Mom and Dad. Ahem...anyways...I need a shower and sleep after this day that’s felt like weeks....

**Computer, end recording. Save to personal log files.**
In Service,

Captain Drewski Northman
CO, USS Atlas NCC 74138
Branch Commander: UFS Science
Drewski Northman
Command - Captain
Command - Captain

**Computer, begin personal log.**

Stardate 200526.2005

Time flies when you’re having fun, I guess. Haven’t had too much time to record personal logs. We’ve been busy discovering strange new space phenomena (and avoiding getting devoured by them) and rescuing nut job scientists from imploding stars....more on that in a bit.

News just came from Starfleet that I’ve been promoted. No longer an ensign, as of this coming Saturday. I’m sure Mom would be proud. She always knew I would find my calling. I just wish she were around to see it.... I’ll be a Lieutenant Junior Grade. To commemorate the occasion, I learned what the Maxwell crew procedure is for promotions. We all met on the pirate ship Maxwell holodeck program where Commodore Gerhadsen, all decked out in her pirate captain attire, read the promotion document. Then I had to turn and uh....kiss a portrait of John Clerk Maxwell, and after that, I had to walk the plank. It was....well shit I’ve never been a part of anything like this in my whole life, wandering from place to place, never fitting in, and here I have a family again, bunch of crazy misfits in a ship that should have been decommissioned years ago....but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Anyways....about that crazy scientist. A couple weeks ago, we were called upon to find a missing science vessel that was recording an imminent nova event in a main sequence blue giant star, caused by a gas giant plummeting into the surface of the star. We found him....and his whole family, it turns out. The man was certifiably insane. I think. After he pushed some kind of dead man switch which locked down the ship and turned the shields on, he was raving that we’d all go with him, ascend to another plane or something. Our engineering miracle workers eventually deactivated the ship in time for us to escape with Dr. Selden, his wife, and two children. That nova was quite a show, and it’s still providing us with amazing data.

But....after....I went down to the brig to confront him. It was foolish enough that he’d want to throw his own life away and leave his family alone...like me...but he wanted them to die with him. That made my blood boil. If it wasn’t for the force field, I probably would have throttled him. But....he was so sure, past the bluster. And...its like he could sense my loss. He said he had seen the other side, beyond the veil. That my family would be there, waiting. He gave me some calculations to run, the framework for experiments that he did. He said I could see what he saw. Surely he’s mad....

But....something about him, about the look in his eyes. What if he’s right? What....what did he see?

Bah...it’s late and I need sleep.

**Computer, end personal log.**
In Service,

Captain Drewski Northman
CO, USS Atlas NCC 74138
Drewski Northman
Command - Captain
Command - Captain

I finish hanging the old painting, a replica of Van Gogh’s “Starry Night” that used to hang in my childhood home, staring at it and letting the memories wash over for a moment before sitting in my new chair, fiddling with the height a bit, then nodding to myself. “Computer, begin personal log.”

Personal log, Stardate 200902.1500

It’s coming up on the start of month 8 on the USS Maxwell. I’ve almost forgotten what it felt like to be alone out there in the black. You’d be proud of me, Mom. I can even kinda tolerate talking to people before I’ve had my first raktajino with extra cream and sugar. Almost...

I lose my train of thought for a moment, looking at a small framed picture on my desk of a man and woman on their wedding day, smiling. My reverie is interrupted by a crewman pushing a hovercart. “Hey, careful with that, crewman. That’s an antique from my time in New Babbage!”

He nods nervously, “Uh...yes sir. Sorry, sir. Where do you want this uh...suit of armor?”

“Just stand him up there next to the shelves...yeah perfect. Thanks.” I watch as the crewman walks out of my office with the cart and leaving behind a full suit of armor standing there, shaking my head at how different things were.

Few days ago, I was just a junior officer, and now this guy gets nervous because I have a couple extra pips...crazy. Mom, I wish you were there at the Admiral’s Banquet. It was...surreal. To be called for a promotion to full Lieutenant was awesome enough, but then thirty seconds later hearing Admiral Dagger read my name being meritoriously promoted to Lieutenant Commander? Just...madness. I know you and dad would have been cheering right along with my Maxwell family. Heh...they really have become family...and now Admiral Gerhadsen (oh yeah, she got promoted too) wants me to fill the vacant Chief Science Officer spot. So...here we are.

I did a thing....since we’re back at Pinastri, I went to where all our household possessions were kept in storage. Haven’t touched the stuff since you....left....and then I left for the stars. The admiral wanted me to redecorate in here, “make the office your own” she said. I guess it was as good a time as any to revisit your things. I brought some of the artifacts you and dad found...and a few things from my wanderings as well. Dad, you would have loved this broken robot I found. I think at one time it used to float, maybe even talk? There are speakers and audio-visual sensors too. Maybe one day I’ll get it working....anyhow...now I’m rambling.

So yeah...Chief Science Officer. Cool gig, huh? The work is already stacking up. *I pat the growing pile of PADD’s on my desk.* I’ve got a really great team working with me, and I know they’ll be a huge help. While we’re here at Pinastri for repairs...yeah...nasty business with this death cult called the Kzem, but we’re fine!...we’re working on plotting a course back into the Hapke Cluster. It feels good preparing to explore again instead of being soldiers. I’m hoping we find a water world, or at least a world with mostly water. We could be out there for a good, long while, cataloguing systems, boldly going, and all that. I’m ready to go tomorrow, but...repairs should take a week or two or three.

I get up from my desk and look at the pictures hung on the wall, memories of adventures past and distant friends. I walk across the old Persian rug on the floor, careful to step just so, grinning to myself, glad that I brought that with me. I stop and look at a collection of old arrowheads on the wall.

Look at that...just astounds me. Billions of stars in the galaxy, and we’re thousands of light years away from Earth, yet you managed to find primitive arrowheads on some Delta Quadrant backwater planet that show just how similar the paths people take are, even so spread apart. If only the Kzem saw that and marveled at life instead of trying to snuff it out. It’s short enough as it is without people like them making it shorter.

You know, I still have that professor...Selden was his name....I still have his notes. I admit, as much as he infuriated me for being so willing to sacrifice his family...his work deeply intrigues me. I read through the notes sometimes and think. Could he really have had a glimpse of what comes after? I am sorely tempted to see...just to see if I could talk to you one more time, to show you how far I’ve come. Maybe...maybe with all the resources here, a team of people...we can succeed where he failed and fell into madness. I’ve been so busy just trying to survive the last 3 months...but those thoughts have always been there at the back of my mind. I guess we’ll see.

I walk back to the desk and pick up the framed photo. “I guess...as long as I have your memory, you’re still with me, no matter where I go. Perhaps that’s what Selden was missing. I love you both.” I reverently place the frame back on the desk, straighten my uniform, buttoning my jacket. “Computer, end personal log.”
In Service,

Captain Drewski Northman
CO, USS Atlas NCC 74138

Return to “USS Atlas Archive”