Kaydee's Personal Log (USS Milo)

Moderators: Drewski Northman, Siobhan Crystal

Nora Gerhadsen
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Chief, UF Starfleet Operations
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid: Second Life

<<Kaydee is sprawled all over the bed in her cramped quarters aboard USS Milo. It's practically the only furniture in the room, but of course she's doing a lot better than everyone else on board the tug. And she's... Watching a video -- it seems to be an episode of 'The Borg and the Beautiful.' A gravelly male Borg voice is saying, "no, we cannot love you. Love is irrelevant. You will be assimilated. We will add your technological distinctiveness --" A woman's voice cuts in, "but what about the BABY, Three of Eight? The BABY! The one you've given me? The baby I'm going to have for YOU? How is that irrelevant? Or those passionate nights we spent in --" At that point Kaydee keys it off, rolling her eyes. "Oh grow up. This show has gone down hill ever since they started this 'Hot Assimilation Nights' story arc. Sheesh. That Ann Similat is just... Too whiny." She sighs, then looks at her PADD again. "Yeah... I should do a personal log..." She taps a few keys...>>

Personal Log, Stardate 191228.

What in the blue heck am I doing out here anyway? It feels like exile. Worse than exile. It feels like a living death. Oh come on, I'm being overdramatic. Too many videos. I haven't sent a comm to Kiffthiss in months.

I mean... Is it really a sin to be in love? We did get married, after all. Though, yeah, sure, it was probably a bad idea to follow him around at that conference. I just wanted to talk, that's all! Just talk! He didn't need to run away from me like that. That was humiliating, him running off, me running after him, calling his name... But like I said! I'm in love, right? I know it had been over a year since we'd really... You know... Seen each other. And his last message to me was all about... What was it he called it? 'Getting away from my crazy?' Come on, that was just mean.

And yet I still love him. I want him back sooo much. Which is why I'm now halfway across the galaxy from him. Something about his dumb Admiral mother wanting to 'protect' him from me. From me! What's wrong with me that she thinks she needs to freaking *protect* him from me? It's not like I beat him up or anything. Well. Much. But come on, he's not supposed to go dating other people when he's married, is he? Is he?!

I want him back sooo much. Come back to me, William...

<<Kaydee closes her eyes tight, grimacing.>>

No, no... I'm not crying this time. Not this time! No. NO! I've... I've still got to find a new emitter #6. Because... Because... Because I'm sentenced to live out the rest of my life of a grimy, grubby tug out in the middle of completely nowhere, in and around the same kinds of docks I grew up in, because that's where I really belong, isn't it! It was a dream. A wonderful, wonderful dream... But it's over now. William gets the happiness, the adventure, gets to be a great, great pilot... And I've got... I've got...

<<The recording stops.>>
Nora Gerhadsen
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Ship/Station Posted:

<<Kaydee is once again on her bed, but this time she's just wearing sleep shorts. She's sweaty, and pretty miserable. Her face is in the pillow, but she stirs, then rubs her face and groans in frustration. >>

Oh I hate this. Can't sleep at this temperature. Fine. Personal log, Stardate 200412. And waaay too early for civilized people.

But here I am. Where to begin... Well, when in doubt, talk about the weather, and on the Milo right now, the weather sucks. More specifically, we've got some weird malfunction in the life support systems which is killing off cooling all over the ship. So it's over 90 degrees in here, and it's humid too. I'm covered in sweat. Everyone else who does sweat is also covered in it. The ship reeks. I'm tempted to show up for my next shift wearing my baseball hat, my shorts and not a whole lot else. But that'd kill discipline. So forget it.

We've got four more days of this misery until we get back to Pinastri. Our tow isn't going fast. It's a big hulk -- a Tetsuko Maru-class freighter that should have been retired long before it died. The crew are already enjoying strawberry mojitos back at Pinastri while we sweat it out hauling their old hunk of junk back at about Warp 0.1. No, no, it's not actually sublight warp. It just feels like it. The guys who've been out at Pinastri a long time seem to really hate the freighter. Some nonsense about Q-ships. I really should look it up. Happened some years ago, apparently.

Tempers are pretty short on board right now, though, and that's a bad thing. I'd authorize EVA suits to cool everyone down, but we've got crew who can't fit into them. So we're kind of boned. I can't let some people do it and not others. Everyone has to suffer. That's the Starfleet way. At least we have working replicators, so we can get cold drinks.

I'm sweating so much I'm worrying about electrolytes. Probably have to have the Doc check everyone out to make sure we don't get any weirdo biological issues. For a small ship, we sure have a bunch of species. Not that I care, of course -- they'd suck no matter their species. Or not suck. Only real issue is that it might be overly taxing for our burnout ship's doctor. Zolath doesn't say a whole lot about himself. I wonder if he drinks. If I were in his position -- I mean, this guy is *old*! He's been in Starfleet for something like twenty years! He must be, I don't know, forty five years old? At least! Anyway, if I were in his position, riding out the end of a failed career in a bucket like the Milo, I might drink pretty heavily.

Oh wait. I'm not that far off from that, huh? I mean, we're on the same ship.

But I mean... This guy came from a bigger ship. And now he's here. Doesn't suggest good things about him. Still, I've got the crew I've got, and better ain't on the way. I just have to deal. Just like the 2404 Green Sox. Bucky Nesmith wasn't the worst shortstop on Cestus III. Little leaguers were worse, I'm sure. Some of them, anyway. But I've got a ship full of Bucky Nesmiths. Still, the Green Sox managed to... Oh yeah. Huh. They came in last that year. All right, bad comparison.

Or not...

I have to wait four more hours before I can trade the misery in my cabin for the misery on the bridge. Before then, everyone will look at me funny because I'm supposed to be sleeping.

Yeah, right.

<<Kaydee rolls over, groaning, and slaps the PADD, closing the log.>>
Nora Gerhadsen
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Ship/Station Posted:

<<Kaydee looks pensively at the icon on the screen on the desk in her quarters. She's actually holding her breath as she reads the text: 'From Lieutenant William Carmichael.' After a moment, she noisily exhales, and says, "aw, hell..." She closes her eyes a moment, then tremulously punches a key on her console.>>

<<A handsome 26-year-old man and a similarly-aged woman of apparently Indian extraction smile out of the screen at her. They are sitting next to each other, holding hands on the table in front of them. The smiles are a bit forced. The fellow is William Carmichael, Kaydee's husband. The woman... We will meet.>>

William: "Hello, Bunny Rabbit. I suppose it's been, uh... A long time since we really talked! Now, Rabbit, I want you to meet my... Well, my fiancee, Priyanka. Pri... This is, uh... Kaydee, of course. Now Bunny Rabbit, I know you got the papers, and I really do need you to sign them right away. You're holding up a lot here! Pri and I are supposed to get married in June, and it's going to be a big important wedding, you know? Lots of Admirals and other Federation Starfleet dignitaries! We're... Going to have a baby, so we really don't want to have to wait! We'd like to have the wedding before she's showing, because we want her looking her absolute best. We've got the venue picked out, we've got the catering, the hotels, everything... We just need you to finally sign the... papers!"

Priyanka leans toward William, squeezing his hand with her own, and says, "now William, we said we were going to be nice about all this." She turns to the screen to smile a big, artificial smile. "William's told me so *much* about you! I feel like I've known you my whole life. Please don't let the fact that I'm marrying your soon-to-be-ex-husband take away from the fact that... We should be like friends, or even sisters! I've heard so much about that quaint little colony you come from on Cestus III. Is it really true that you used to wait tables at a 'diner,' and that your best friend growing up was a Gorn? And that he was your maid of honor and wore a huge dress for it?" She giggles lightly. "Such a brave thing, but so inappropriate for such rarefied company as the Carmichaels and the circles they move in, don't you think? Well, as I said, I would love to actually meet you in the flesh one day! Perhaps you could tell me about any of William's foibles that I've missed! I mean, I know all about the snoring already, of course!"

William cuts in, saying, "now, now, my Love, don't tease her. But seriously, Bunny Rabbit, I need you to sign the paperwork immediately. Not signing it could be bad for... Well, for your future in Starfleet. Oh, and while we're on that subject... My mother... The Admiral... Would you like you to give up the Carmichael surname. It just isn't right for you to have it. You should go back to being what you were before, all right, Bunny Rabbit? It's time to move on from me and from my family. It was a big mistake, and let's learn from it and move on. And that's all it was. Just a big, big mistake."

"Oh come on, William, be kind to her," says Priyanka.

William rolls his eyes. "You're lucky I never had a baby with her! Heck, *I'm* lucky I never had a baby with her. Oh wait, is this thing still recording? Kaydee, sign the papers. Do it now. Or it gets really bad. And get your name changed back. Just walk into the.... Whatever station you're at way out there in the middle of nowhere, and get it done. I'm not asking you anymore. I'm telling you."

<<The vid ends as William angrily punches a key. Kaydee is staring at the blank screen, her jaw wide open, her eyes as wide as saucers. She puts a hand to her mouth, and suddenly looks like she's about to throw up. Instead... She bursts into tears.>>
Nora Gerhadsen
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Ship/Station Posted:

<<Kaydee finishes up her sonic shower, then pulls on a sleep shirt and underwear -- her normal pajamas. She sits down at her desk and first goes over the readings from the engine and tractor beam. She nods, then taps some keys to modulate the warp a little bit. That brings a chime on her desk, and she taps a button. "Don't you ever sleep, JJ? Yes, I modulated our warp harmonics a little. We had a minor resonance in the... Yes, I know how to do that too. Go get some shuteye, JJ. We're getting back on the freighter tomorrow, and we need to be well-rested given how we've got stuff bypassed around here. Right. Yeah, you too. G'night, mouse.">>

<<A moment later, reading over other reports, another chime hits on her console. Kaydee smiles warmly as she reads the originator's name and station: Kiffthiss, in Prairieview on Cestus III. She turns the universal translator off for the message, and opens the message up. Her face lights up as a huge Gorn appears on the screen, wearing vintage combat eye shields. He starts speaking in a series of hisses, grunts and some barely-recognizable sounds. Of course, he's speaking Gorn, but Kaydee's first reaction is to break up into a giggle. "No, Kiffthiss! They look silly! Like you just walked out an old holo-vid! Well, I suppose they're not /that/ bad..." But she sobers up as the Gorn keeps speaking. He gets quite forceful, even impassioned. At the end of it -- and it sounds like she's just been subjected to a serious tongue-lashing (or maybe it's just how harsh Gorn is), Kaydee nods solemnly and mutters to herself, "you're right.... He's right. Screw it. Time to get. The Hell. Over it." She purses her lips, thinking, then mutters, "I'll get back to you in a moment. Let's talk to... William...">>

<<Kaydee calls up an earlier message, ostentatiously addressed as being from "Lieutenant William James Carmichael III, Starfleet Headquarters, Terra." She rolls her eyes, then punches the 'record' button.>>

All right, *Mister* Carmichael. I've signed the papers. All of them. I'll be Kaydee Gow again. Not for you, not for your 'fiancee,' and definitely not for your mother. I'm going to be Kaydee Gow for *me*. Because that's who I am! I hope you enjoy flying your little computer console, because my crew and I just saved a frakking *planet*, mister. And no, it wasn't fancy aerobatic flying or dogfights against Romulans or Rilnar. It was a whole lot harder, a whole lot more challenging, and we saved one point two *billion* lives. Billion with a b. So you go and tell your mother the Admiral: thanks for the exile! And I mean it! Thank you! I got to make a *real* difference, and I am prouder of USS Milo than I would ever be of some stupid fighter craft. I'll take my guys over any roomful of heads-up-their-butts hotshots! Good luck with Miss Pre-nup or whatever her name is. And good luck with your little console. Pilot out!"

<<With that, Kaydee slams the little digital button to send the message. At the sound of a voice, she looks up, and instantly reddens. "Oh, uh... Yeah, JJ. I was just talking to... My ex-husband." She blushes a little more with the next question, but answers, "yeah... Felt good. Really good. I meant it, too. I wasn't just blowing steam. I'm proud of this old bucket. Wouldn't trade her for any fighter in the Fleet." She smiles broadly at her Chief of the Boat. "Now go get some sleep, right? We're on the job tomorrow.">>

<<Kaydee leans back in her chair and puts her bare feet up on the desk. She stretches out, smiling. "Yeah. I'm good. I should talk to Mom and Dad." And with that, she picks up a PADD and taps some keys.>>

Hi Mom and Dad. So. Uh... Things just haven't worked out between Bill and me. He, uh... Well, I guess you guys had it all figured out years ago, you know? Anyway... Uh... Look. Remember how I said for you guys to throw away all my old stuff? Umm... If you haven't... How about you don't? There's some stuff I could use out here. I could use some Prairieview out here in the Black. Oh, and... Maybe you could send me the recipes for corn dogs and tater tots from the restaurant? Chicken fried steak, and... Well, everything? It's past time for me to introduce my crew to good old-fashioned American diner food, even if it's just replicated...

<<And a much happier Kaydee Gow goes on recording her message to her parents before getting the best sleep she's had in months.>>
Nora Gerhadsen
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Ship/Station Posted:

Personal log, Stardate 210503.

Where do I start?

We lost the tow. I suppose I should start there.

We've never lost a tow before. We always get it where it's supposed to go. But not this time.

And oh yeah. I've been in combat for the very first time.

Funny how I did all that training in fighter craft, thinking that's how I'd see combat... But of course I never did. Things were quiet by the time I graduated Academy. All I ever did was training flights. No actual combat. Ironic that my first actual combat came while I was piloting... A tug.

I feel like I want to be sick.

That was nothing like I thought it was going to be. I mean, of course it wasn't. I wasn't darting about in some zippy little number tossing phaser blasts at the bad guys with a Fleet to back me up. I was in a mostly-unarmed tug facing a hostile warship without any back-up at all, apart from this crew. This crazy, incompetent set of boobs and nincompoops. This magnificent gang. Even Tipha.

Right, so... We tossed the tow at the Nabraithians, and activated a detonator to collapse the structural integrity fields. And defeat antimatter containment.

I never knew just how bright annihilation of 100,000 tons of antimatter with 100,000 tons of matter would be. Nothing in the debris field was bigger than freaking atoms. Seriously, there was just nothing left. Including the pesky Nabraithians.

I've never been so terrified.

I've never been so proud.

We saved another planet, too. So that's two for the Milo. I suppose that makes us *really* big danged heroes now. Maybe we'll paint a couple of planets on the side of the ship or something. You know, one planet on the hull per saving. Makes sense to me, anyway. Maybe put a Nabraithian ship on there too. Do they even have a flag?

In the meantime, I'm sure there will be a real inquiry back at Pinastri. You don't lose 100,000 tons of antimatter without someone getting grumpy. I'll have a lot of explaining to do to some angry Admirals. I am not looking forward to that.

Computer, close log.

Return to “USS Atlas Archive”