Brad71 Mills
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Duty Post: Civilian
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

*Personal Log Entry*
*Entry Method, voice-to-text via Data PADD*

I was only recently made aware I should make personal logs, if not for myself, then for those who care for me.

Where to begin? Personal logs aren't much of a thing where I come from. This is such a change for me, so many different things, new experiences. Pinastri Colony was the first time I have ever stepped paw off a ship. Transporter beams .... bleh! Is it normal to feel a bit disoriented after one?

I have been on board the Maxwell for about 3 months now. I have been asked on more than one occasion what my purpose is here. I've wondered, myself. The Maxwell is a science vessel, and a rather small one at that. I think our culture has shuttles that seat nearly as many crew ... at least half. But I'm not a scientist ... not in the way I sense Starfleet trains and educates them. Their methods and measures are vastly different than what I am used to. To that end, when I was asked to work their computer systems, I struggled to learn how they were set up to work. The captain asked me to reinitialize their sensors ... how was I to know that turning them off, and back on, was not the correct procedure? Fortunately, the crew have shown me kindness and forgiving, and showed me the correct way to work their systems.

Upon my initial arrival, things were rather hectic, and no one thought of my accommodations. I found a nice warm corner in which to curl up and rest ... no one bothered me since they had other more pressing matters, and one out-of-the-way fox was nothing to worry about. It came to pass that someone saw me getting ready for duty, but not coming from the crew quarters, and they wondered where I had come from. Apparently no one realized, for some weeks, that I had not been using quarters, nor had been assigned. Or if I was, no one realized I had not been told. April jokingly threatened to assign a room near the drive systems, believing this to be highly undesirable. To the contrary, the constant, low thrum is actually rather soothing, and I quickly accepted the offer!

After the room was all sorted, it was time for the mandatory crew physicals. Some have aversions to doctors and medical stuff, but my biggest aversion is shaving of fur. I felt Dr. Luke would not joke about such things, so I had him conduct the physical. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as the usual things, though he did note a rather high, and unusual concentration of gold in my fur.

During the course of my time here, we have lost crew, and gained new. Two of them were cadets Jayce Rebel and Sinbad Naiver. Both have since graduated and become ensigns, the former going into operations and taking the helm of the ship, the latter taking a tactical role. Which reminds me, my role still isn't well defined. Lt. Quick is in science, though she seems to know about other things than I do. Sandie, our resident rabbit, had been security, but lately has been filling an engineering role, keeping the ship going.

Ensign Jayce and I have gotten to know each other rather well, to the point of becoming mates and sharing a room. Sandie has become a close friend, and likewise shares our accommodations. We are like a close family .... well ... I suppose we *are* a family, now.

Some weeks ago, I began experiencing something I have never known before ... the thoughts and emotions of those around me. I can only surmise that my people block this normally, and train our young on an as-needed basis ... or when they reach a certain age. At any rate, it did not take long for Dr. Luke to realize what was going on, and prescribed both a method to inhibit my sensitivity to it, as well as training for me to develop this ability. Ensign Jayce (also my loving mate) agreed to help with it. We had a couple rough patches, but our relationship and my ability came out all the stronger for it.

A couple weeks ago we had shore leave, and I decided it would be a good time to practice an ancient meditation technique from my culture. I trusted my mate and fellow crew to keep me safe. Little did I suspect the effect it would have on them. During the meditation, one loses touch with their senses, to the point of being vulnerable and helpless. Unfortunately for me, this caused alarm for my mate and those who care for me, and in their efforts to make sure I was alright, it backfired causing more distress. I was in sickbay for a few days, not so much because I was recovering, as much as I needed 'alone time'. Imagine my surprise when a live chicken was beamed into my lap! I returned to my quarters as my loving, caring mate was distraught and wanted to make sure all was well. We had a lengthy discussion, patched things up, and now shi knows what to expect next time I practice this meditation. Shi will be equipped to handle things, and assure everyone that I am fine.

Our last mission ... wow. We had a lot of activity. Our ops log covers it rather well, so I won't repeat it all here, but suffice it to say, I have never witnessed such fierce fighting either ship-to-ship, or personal. It's not often one hears a captain order all hands to arm themselves ... and not exclude civilians. I didn't manage to find any weapons, as I was trying to keep ship systems functional. I was hit by both intruder attacks and friendly fire ... I still have no idea whose. Fortunately the medical teams were able to patch everyone up enough to function and try to keep the ship going.

Well, I suppose that's all I can think of for right now.

*Touches to "End Log"*
Brad71 Mills
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

*Personal Log Entry*
*Entry Method, Voice to text, via Data PADD*

"It has been a while since my last log. So much has happened, and we've all been so busy, I haven't had time to do one.

*A pause goes by*

"That's not entirely true. It's also that ... I haven't been feeling very motivated to do one. After all, these aren't usual for my culture."

*A deep sigh*

"So, where to begin? Our missions, ops, and engineering logs cover recent events well enough, so I won't go into detail with them here. This ship? Ugh ... clearly it was not designed with my species in mind. The doors have gotten my tail more than once. Transporters, I still don't trust 'em. Warp cores, such temperamental things, always this, or that, or the other ... why can't they just use nice, reliable fusion systems like we do?

*Another pause*

Well, come to think of it, maybe a nice singularity drive? During recent weeks, having taken heavy damage from combat and ejecting our warp core (which breached quickly thereafter), a decision was made to cannibalize a Romulan ship of a similar size for its singularity drive. Talk about a hack job. But it works! We lost that soothing hum that I had grown accustomed to. I can have the computer replay a simulation of it, but it's just not the same. You could actually *feel* the drive making the entire ship hum, not unlike a heartbeat. The Romulan drive, while it works, seems just as cold and heartless as ... most ... Romulans.

I haven't been sleeping well lately. And it's not just the stress of combat damage, engineering, repairs, mission tasks, and the same things everyone else has been doing, though that does factor in.

*Another pause*

Let me back up a bit. Some weeks ago, I realized it was almost time ... for a change. A physical change. *Sighs* Many canine species shed their summer fur as cold weather approaches. Not all of my species do, but I am one that does. I needed some private time to myself for the shedding to complete and the new fur to grow into place. I did, at least, let Lt. Jayce know in advance and shi did allow me the private time I needed, but I could still sense the worry and concern in hir voice and thoughts.

However, the rest of the crew was unaware that these changes could occur, and it seems most of them did not expect to see me look so different. Some seemed worried, perhaps that I should take even more time off, or visit sick bay. Bah! Nonsense. It's a perfectly normal thing for some of my kind, and I was quite ready to return to duty. *Another pause* It seems at least a couple other crew are still concerned for my well being. They *Could* simply ask me if I feel well, and accept my answer when I give it.

During a recent away mission, it seems there was some ... miscommunication as to what to do. Captain indicated we were to interact with a primitive civilization, and that we were to leave *All* technology behind. How was I to know she did not mean communicators??? I mean, I did *EXACTLY* what she said to do! And then she has the nerve to go and get all huffy later when I made this known? I think I'll forget to mention that my ... holo-disguise ... wasn't exactly a hologram. And besides ... she tells me to leave behind the tech, and guess who ends up being seen with technology?

*Sighs*

I'm glad this is a private log. Otherwise I might feel the need for ... conflict resolution ... or even worse ... an apology. Perhaps I am saying such things not so much for our miscommunication, as much as ... she kept referring to me as a 'dog'. In my culture, there are fewer, more powerful insults than this. If she were not the captain, as well as, in a sense, family, I might have taken measures to ensure my dignity remained intact. We still had our share of conflict. I do not think she realizes how much more ... independent my culture raises us to be, our ways and methods of ensuring our own safety and that of our loved ones. She does not seem to understand that there are certain orders I simply cannot comply with, regardless of rank or authority. We 'butted heads', as the humans sometimes say, even though, in the end, the order was given and I was able to comply. We still need to resolve our differences ..."

*Some time goes by as some sounds occur in the background*

"Uh oh. I've got a little problem here. Caaaapp-taaiiiinnnnnn!! ...."

*Sounds of the door opening and closing are heard; the log ends there*
Brad71 Mills
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

*Personal Log Entry*
*Entry Method, Voice to Text via Data PADD*

"Well, it seems I had a 'little' problem today", (Emphasis on the word little). "I woke up to find myself looking *up* to the captain, and even with her short stature, that is saying something. I spent most of the shift in sick bay as Drs. Luke and Destiny worked with Candi and Ens. Colossus to figure exactly what happened, and how to reverse it. Oddly enough, it seemed to have an odd effect on the crew, most seemed to have the urge to scritch behind my ears, and thought my ... rather diminutive look was rather adorable. I did not ask to be this way, but by the same coin, I did not ask to be returned to my previous appearance."

*Some silent time goes by*

"Honestly, I could probably fulfill most of my duties like this. The captain isn't much taller, and she manages well enough. Sure, there are some things I could not do, but there are others I could do that no one else could." *Another pause* "Well, during our previous mission, I took on the appearance of a quadruped fox. I see no reason I cannot do much the same with this appearance as well. I wonder what will happen when I return to this appearance on an as-desired basis?"

"In other news, we made it back to Pinastri safely. Good grief, is this ship due for some major dock time. I lost track of the systems we had to rig together to make it home ... but we did, by gosh. Hopefully the engineers here can get some of our systems in better working order than we have managed ... not to say our engineers aren't up to the task. More like, we had to make do with what we had. Pinastri has better replicators and plenty of spare parts, something we haven't had access to in a long time."

"While here at Pinastri this week, I wonder if there will be anyone visiting from my culture? I kind of doubt it, our kind aren't all that numerous to begin with, and there is little reason to believe any would have business in this area. We are not known for traveling for leisure, as a general rule. I'm sure Jayce and Sandie will be making a quick departure for some very overdue and much needed shore leave, and I can't say I blame them. Myself? Eh, I'm not sure yet. I suppose I'll go if invited. Otherwise, I may just stay here. I have yet to see what other programs the holodeck has available for me."

*End of log entry*
Brad71 Mills
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

*Personal Log Entry*
*Entry Method, Voice to Text via Data PADD*

"Hmm. Where to begin? Shore leave? No, I ... *pauses* ... I didn't even bother to leave the ship. For much of the time, I was either in quarters, in the holodeck, or in the mess hall. Sure is a quiet ship with everyone on shore leave. I don't recall even seeing Te'ellis around. Granted, during working hours there were various engineers from Tranquility messing with various systems, but for the most part they left me be. I suppose they had better things to do than worry about some 3-foot-tall fox in civilian clothing."

"And speaking of three feet tall, I have not really had a reason ... or desire ... to revert to my taller form. No one has mentioned anything about it, except last week when it became apparent my shorter stature came with limitations."

*A sigh is heard*

"Ugh. The last couple weeks have been ... stressful. We have been dealing with a pair who had taken the ship, former commanding officers, who believed their old crew to be alive and held by the ... what did they call 'em? Nabraithians? Is that right? The thing is, after we took back the ship, and questioned these two, the former captain allowed me to view her memories telepathically. As far as I can tell, she is telling the truth. I was able to cross check these memories against the nav charts, and sure enough, found a match. I later spoke with the former first officer, who I was also able to discern was telling the truth. As much as Nora and April might not want to think so, these two are convinced their crew is out there ... somewhere ... still alive. And I can't honestly say there's any evidence to prove them wrong...

"Tonight we ended up at some aged space station ... or was it a ship? All this alien technology and architecture made it hard to decide which. We ended up in a bar and meeting with some character who was supposed to verify this information I had viewed. Seems a wasted trip to me, but I suppose command needs more than the word of a couple retired and questionably competent officers, and a civilian fox. My 'mission', if it could be called such, was to try and scope out what, if any, minerals and ores the Nabraithians would want from that area. But being on a station or ship, I had no opportunity to scan the planet for such things, I did not find any on the ship/station, nor did I sense there was any large scale mining going on. From what I could tell, the station (if indeed it was a space station), served as something of a meeting point and place to move cargo from one ship to another. And it didn't appear set up to handle enormous volumes of cargo, either.

"After we got what we went for, which was little more than a scenic trip for me, really, we returned to the Maxwell to plot our next destination. I believe it was the same coordinates I had located from the memories. Are the crew really there? It's too early to tell for sure, but my senses say at least some of them are. If this is true, I hope I am able to sense them more clearly as we approach. As for how to free them? Somehow, I don't think the usual Alliance approach is an option."

*Recording ended*
Brad71 Mills
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

*Personal Log Entry*
*Entry Method - Voice-to-Text via Data PADD*

It has been a few days since my departure from the Maxwell and a few weeks since my last log entry. We have been busy, and I have since reverted to my usual beautiful gold fur. Last week I received a message from my people that my presence was needed, for a rather urgent matter. Since the Maxwell was headed to Pinastri anyway, it ended up being a good place to rendezvous. A shuttle arrived about the time we did, and after the necessary formalities, I was on my way.

I cannot reveal the whereabouts of our home worlds for the leaders would surely put a price on my hide, but I can say that I arrived to a planet that was having some strong, unknown geological events. At least, unknown prior to my arrival. It came out that my being put on the Maxwell was more or less a way to get rid of me, get me out of the way, so to speak. But it was not without its benefits, as I have learned a lot during my time on the Maxwell, having access to so much information and history, and being one of the very few ... if not the only ... geologist in my culture. I was able after some tests and scans, to determine what was going on, and what could be done to handle the issue. Once that was done, it was time for me to head back to the Maxwell.

It might be, at this point, why the option to remain "home", with my people was not considered. Well, I am still technically crew on the Maxwell and the things usually done when someone returns home, leaving a crew, was not done. I also got the impression that, despite being able to 'save the day', as it were, I was still something of a black sheep among my kind. And to be honest, the Maxwell and the crew has become something of a home and family to me, I have no desire to leave that ... not without at least proper farewells. I did leave on very short notice and did not have time to explain to anyone where I was going.

So our trip back to the Maxwell was not as uneventful as our trip to our home system. Arram, the one piloting the shuttle both ways, was a young fellow with aspirations to one day become a helm officer ... at least, that's what Starfleet calls 'em. Our shuttle was struck by something, or we struck something, but whatever it was, it never showed on our sensors. Was it a cloaked ship? Some energy wave or shock wave? Some manner of unknown weapon? Whatever it was, it packed one heck of a wallop. The shuttle we had, despite not being of Alliance design or origin, does follow our general preferences for vessel design. This particular one is lightly armed, but *VERY* heavily armored, for a shuttle. It's fast, too, for a shuttle. It might not keep up with the Maxwell, not by a long shot, but it gets the job done. Anyway, I'm rambling here, aren't I? Well, the damage sustained was enough to knock Arram out of his seat and damage our comm arrays. I tried hailing ... anything I could reach, to no avail. I had no choice but to stay on course and hope for the best. Arram and I shared thoughts, I comforted him as best I could. He passed away in my arms. There were things he shared with me that I should relay to his next of kin, as soon as I can return home to them.

We returned to the Maxwell and were docked with minimal problems, I was able to use my combadge when I was in range. Commander Coswell was there to 'greet' me, phaser drawn. I have no idea why, unless it was the unknown shuttle? But she knew it was me, by the combadge I was using. Anyway, medical arrived to tend to Arram, who was taken to sick bay for an autopsy, as per usual protocol. I also went to sick bay, despite being in more or less good order, and after a quick check in, was released for duty. April wanted to know about my absence, I provided her as much detail as I could without revealing information I am not supposed to. After the autopsy, I contacted Arram's family to advise of his passing. They were understandably distraught, but I reassured them as best I could, and would comply with their wishes within my abilities.

I received word yesterday about Arram's last wishes and family's wishes for him. Nothing special was requested, I know the customs of our culture as well as anyone, and they indicated that whatever we did that fulfilled our customs would be fine by them. They did not want his remains shipped back, as they did not have a place for them nor did they seem to wish to deal with it. Losing a son must have hit them hard. So, I will handle that here ... for them. For Arram.

I almost forgot. I think I now have a shuttle. I don't think anyone is going to ask for it back. I reckon Engineering needs to get to work on it, when they have time.

*Auranum sends messages to the crew that the ritual for Arram will be done on the Maxwell, giving the date and time.*

*The time comes for Arram's 'funeral'. Auranum is wearing a white outfit, as is Arram's body (the latter of which, the Kimono is "closed" left-side-first, right-side-second, the customary manner in his culture for a deceased body). Auranum explains to those who attend "Friends ... crew ... family ... we have come to pay respects and bid farewell to my fallen comrade and brother-in-arms, Arram, who has aspirations of one day becoming a helmsman. We still aren't sure what exactly happened to our shuttle, but the damages did him in, I am sad to say. ..." he continues on in this vein for a few minutes. "... And now, usual decorum is for my fallen comrade to be buried alongside his kin, his parents, grandparents, and so forth; with places reserved for his offspring in due time. But owing to the vast distances and the fact his family is still alive, we will not be doing that. Instead, we will cremate his remains and retain the ashes until we find a suitable place to put them. Oh, Inari, Goddess of Rice, please hear my plea ... " he continues the prayer a minute or two, after which the "service" was over.*
Brad71 Mills
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

*Personal Log Entry*
*Entry Method - Voice-to-Text via Data PADD*

Has it really been over a year since my last log entry? I'm a little surprised no one has reminded me about it. So where do I begin?

It's getting close to time for my fur to change color again. Our last mission had the possibility for that to happen as the planet was extremely cold, but I remained on the bridge instead of going with the away team. I was a little disappointed I didn't get to go, but not enough to say anything to anyone. It was all good, though, as the away team needed my services on the ship and I was able to monitor their status as well as perform other mission tasks. Nothing terribly noteworthy except the need to take aboard some 50 or so people from the planet. As best as I can guess, something about a colonization that was doomed from the beginning.

We held a formal event with the intent of socializing with our rather ... inhospitable guests. There were times that evacuating them through an airlock seemed like a perfectly viable option, but we managed to keep from doing that. We encountered another ship that we had hoped not to see again. Threats were given, fire was exchanged but their weapons were no match for our shields. We managed to only disable the ship, leaving them without any power other than emergency systems. It appears such a large ship, being so lightly armed, was most likely a colonization vessel. We departed when they could survive alone, with another ship on the way to take the attackers prisoners.

Some of the crew seemed quite distressed about not 'finishing off' our attackers, but the firefight was so lopsided, who would we be if we didn't give them a sporting chance? Even my culture might be inclined to dispose of them, but myself, along with Capt. Nora, impressed upon the crew this was not only wrong, but also against Federation regulations. Someone, other than Nora, had to serve as a voice of reason.

Well, it's almost mission time.

*File is saved and archived*
Brad71 Mills
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

*Personal Log Entry*
*Entry Method, voice-to-text via PADD*

Wait. It's been *THREE YEARS* since my last log entry? Bah! Time flies when someone throws a clock! We're at Pinastri in dry dock for some refits and upgrades, hopefully.

I have reverted to a normal-ish 2 meters or so of height some time ago, but with some .... interesting side effects from the transformation, not the least of which was my fur patterns and markings. There's more, but not something I'm going to record in a log. Suffice it to say, I have discovered ways to shift between these forms as I wish.

We've had some crew changes over the recent months. Drewski is a fellow scientist, and a fellow trickster and prankster and joker. I can tell we will get along very well. He's already advanced a rank or two, eager young fella. He will go far in Starfleet. Syrah is another new officer, still adjusting to life on the Maxwell. Siobhan - if I said that right - looks Orion, greenish skin. And Eroi, she seems pleasant enough. Hope they do well too. Anyone new in medical will need to learn about me at some point.

Again, the crew has taken shore leave, and as usual, I'm hanging around the ship. Well, except during the Baryon sweep, since that would kill me. None of the other ... invites sounded appealing. Usually I just play in the holodeck, either in the ship or in Pinastri, since there's not really much else for me to do here ... that appeals to me, in any event. Or I'll explore the ship, though by now there's not much of it I haven't been through. When it's not busy, I'll snag one of the smaller shuttles, or workbees, and fly around the docks and ships, being careful to stay out of the way.

Until the next log.

Return to “USS Atlas Archive”