Personal Log - Jayce Rebel

Moderators: Drewski Northman, Siobhan Crystal

JayceRebel
Operations - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: Executive Officer|USS Maxwell
Ship/Station Posted: USS Maxwell
Grid: Second Life

On stardate 151008 I took my place as the helmsman for the USS Maxwell. There is a huge difference in piloting a real starship from the simulators. You have to work on learning all of the nuances and person afflictions each and every starship seems to gain over time.. Sluggish thrusters on the port side, a slight hiccup when warp engages... Learning how to time everything perfectly is going to take some time and I just hope I don't end up scratching her paint in the process.

Today though, today didn't leave me much time to get comfortable with her. Renegade Starfleet personnel, combat situations, and faulty targeting terminals seemed to be the issues of the day. In the end it seemed we took aboard prisoners. Talk about an exciting first day for a brand new Ensign. While very exciting, I hope not every day will be like this or I will definitely end up scratching some paint. Here is to hoping for many more adventures in the future.

Ensign Rebel out.
UFS Chief of Operations
Chief Operations Officer
XO USS Maxwell
JayceRebel

Stardate: 151015

The USS Maxwell has been asked to study an upcoming novae phenomena in the Talus system. Once the Maxwell reached the system we intercepted a distress call from the surface of Talus II, believing that the planet was uninhabited (or at least it was on the original survey 30 years ago) the XO responded. It seems that there has been a settlement here of some sort, underground to counteract the effect of the radiation being produced from the soon to be nova star. Many of the colonists were sick and dying from the effects of the radiation and the Doctor did his best to counteract these effects. Things felt a little.. Off.. I sometimes feel like I get hunches on things and I was definitely no comfortable here. After exploring a bit I came upon the XO being threatened by one of the lead scientists, the XO managed to pull her phaser and I rushed in to lend a supporting cross fire. Once everyone showed up, it seems the XP had caught the scientist messing with a panel to probably sabotage a part of the facility. The scientist was taken into custody and I was asked to remain behind to investigate the panel. I'm still deciphering all of these readings, but the prognosis does not look good. I will need to take these readings to the Captain and get her take on them. Something is definitely wrong here.

Ensign Rebel out.
UFS Chief of Operations
Chief Operations Officer
XO USS Maxwell
JayceRebel

Stardate: 151020

Computer start recording ..... .. . . ........... . Computer stop.

Starfleet encourages all of it's people to make personal logs. They say, "You never know what might, or might not, come in handy in the future."

My life has made a complete 180 from where it was just a couple of years ago. After what I went through in my past..... Well I had a lot of recovering to do. It really is amazing what the mind can compartmentalize and store away in the dark recesses of one's mind. You sit and talk with counselors and Doctors and finally comes to terms with your past, or at least you convince yourself you did..... But that way can lead to madness..

When I was finally released and asked what I wanted to do with my newly gained freedom, it took me a while to consider my options. When Commander looked at me and told me "If you want to make a difference, and help to keep other's from suffering the way you did, join Starfleet. Put your mental and physical efforts to making a difference. I'll write a recommendation letter myself if you want to give it a go." I'm not used to that kind of kindness in my life so I instantly looked for the hook. What as in it for him? I decided to not let me past influence my future but sometimes it makes a rude entrance and has to be ushered out the door again. So here I am. I tested well and was put through accelerated courses and graduated in what some say is record time but I doubt that. There are many more people around here who are smarter than I am. It is just easier to complete one's studies when they don't have friends and family to distract them. So now here I am, recording personal logs on the USS Maxwell as one of its crew. The crew have all treated me well so far, I think they are waiting to see if I scratch the ship's paint first before really making their decisions about me. I don't blame them, I am a fairly unique looking individual. A bit like Frankenstein's monster but with various different animal pieces. If only they knew the whole truth, but no one wants to hear about all of that.

There has been on individual who has shown an increased curiosity in me. A Mr. Auranum. Some kind of fox like species. Perhaps Voxxian? He has been quite curious as to my past and future. He hasn't been too nosy but seems to show a genuine interest in getting to know me. I wonder how quickly he will turn tail and run if I told him everything. *sighs* Who knows really. Well I've rambled enough for now.

Ensign Rebel out..
UFS Chief of Operations
Chief Operations Officer
XO USS Maxwell
JayceRebel

Stardate: 151021

So tonight, I conducted more training with Mr. Auranum. He is coming long quite well in his abilities and I am very happy to help. I seem to be a bit of a "hard behind" seeing as that he grumbled a few times about my methods. He is lucky he didn't have to go through the same training I did. Having someone yell at you is a lot more preferable than wearing a pain inducer to motivate you. I hope I am doing the right things with his training. I'll have to be sure to let the Doctor know about his progress when he has free time.

Ensign Rebel - out.
UFS Chief of Operations
Chief Operations Officer
XO USS Maxwell
JayceRebel

Stardate: 151023

What a roller coaster ride. We managed to save the lives of over 100,000 colonists today. We ended up plugging a hole in the energy shield around the colony with the Maxwell. I don't think I've even been that mentally stressed before. The calculations I had to run to keep the Maxwell from moving and killing people was astronomical. Do you have any idea how hard it is to run those kinds of calculations when your also trying to keep power to life support systems and stabilize the power flow to the shields as well? We had people passing out left and right from radiation and lack of oxygen but I managed to anchor myself in place with my tail which is now damaged and quite painful. I need a nice big steak dinner to replenish the blood I left on the deck plates. If it hadn't been for Lieutenant Quick being able to use the Bussard collectors to augment the shield power systems, I'm afraid of what may have happened to the crew. I managed to get the shields bolstered and divert power back to life support. The Captain, due to her diminutive size suffered the worst I think. According to the Doctor her radiation levels for her size were qutie dangerous but she should make a full recovery. I'll see if I can find a suitable get well present to send to her. She is one heck of a Commanding Officer and I feel very privileged to serve under her.

Ensign Rebel - out.
UFS Chief of Operations
Chief Operations Officer
XO USS Maxwell
JayceRebel

Stardate: 151101

A new month, a new chance at doing better and being useful. I got to interview Captain Killian for a piece for the DC. It is always remarkable to me when the leader of such a large colony can take the time out of his busy schedule to answer a few questions for an Ensign. He was more than willing to share his thoughts on the future of Pinastri and I must say that the time spent chatting with him was quite enlightening.

Also, today is my official graduation day! Not that I haven't already been serving as the Maxwell's helmsman and operations officer already, but, its more like a milestone. An official recognition of my status in this family called UFS. While my past may have made me wary of those around me and organizations like the UFS, they have done nothing but prove all of those fears unfounded and I am the happier for it all. I've made friends, for the first time in my existence in this galaxy I have friends, not *coughs uncomfortably* lets just say business associates. *almost whispers* I even have a mate... Someone who wants nothing from me other than my happiness and occasional attention... I'm never sure if its all an elaborate ruse to get something from me, but that's my past talking.. If I'm to grow as an individual, I have to learn to LET people like me and I have to allow myself to like them in return.

I wonder if anyone will come to my graduation today.. I know that most of them are on duty and busy but it would be nice to see some friendly faces in the sea of unknown ones. We have to wear class B's *shudders*. How can a uniform be sooo.... ugly.. *laughs loudly* Here I am complaining about class B's being ugly when my last "uniform" was no clothes at all.. Here's to hoping I don't trip over my own paws today and make a fool out of myself.

Ensign Rebel - out..
UFS Chief of Operations
Chief Operations Officer
XO USS Maxwell
JayceRebel

Stardate: 151104

Graduation was a bit of a heart stopper for me. There was an issue with the listings and everyone was called except me to come up from for the graduation. It was quickly corrected, but still gave me a bit of a fright. I have gotten to know Lt. Blackburn off duty. She is a joy to talk to and know personally. We can spend hours at a time just talking about our lives and how we came to Starfleet. It is comforting in a way to know there are others out there who understand some things that cannot be readily shared with others. She is a kindred spirit I think and I look forward to getting to know her better.

We all had a nice get together after the graduation and sat around and chatted. I really hope to get a look at Captain Portland's new ship. I've heard nothing but good things and I bet it is amazing. I do think I am lucky to have gotten on the Maxwell, look at all the people I wouldn't have gotten to meet otherwise. Now back to the drudgery of writing up Operations reports.

Ensign Rebel - out..
UFS Chief of Operations
Chief Operations Officer
XO USS Maxwell
JayceRebel

Stardate: 151105

Shore leave! You should have seen this place. Beautiful beaches, calm oceans lapping at the sand. It was a small slice of paradise after the chaos of the past few weeks. My mate has been acting a bit off and I really hoped that this might help to relax him some. We met the representatives of the colony Aleeri, Joe Firecaster and Zen Starbird. They were gracious hosts and very accommodating to the crew. It was treated a bit like a First Contact situation and we all went out of our way to follow local customs and courtesies. I know one thing, there must have been something in the water because it is the first time I've been able to actually relax in weeks. Alas not everything goes as one may hope. Auranum was acting strange at the time and not only I, but others were worried. Auranum is the first and only mate I've ever truly had and I panicked. I admit it.. When he was unresponsive I panicked and pushed too hard and I.... I ... He hasn't come back to our cabin yet.. I don't know if he will... This is perhaps why I've never had a mate before... It hurts..

Ensign Rebel - out..
UFS Chief of Operations
Chief Operations Officer
XO USS Maxwell
JayceRebel

Stardate: 151112

Well, Auranum and I worked out what happened at the colony. I beamed a live chicken into his lap while he was in sickbay and avoiding me. I THINK that got his attention. When he got back to our quarters, there were 12 more live chickens running around the room. As apologies go, I think I did fairly well. I'm forgiven and I now have more understanding about his culture and his needs and know how to respect them better.

We also made it official, we told the Captain that Sandie will be joining us in our quarters. I know this may have the negative side effect of making use seem more.... Promiscuous? Sometimes humans don't realize the need for contact that those of us with fur need. Sandie had a bad habit of hiding crew members under her bunk, well not literally, but she was lonely and her joining us has only made us happier. Perhaps one day humans will learn what it means just to give and receive the simplest of touches and hugs. It doesn't always have to be sexual in nature, but knowing there is someone there for you, even in the dead of night, brings courage and a sense of security no phaser can give you. It is about family, and that is what the crew of the Maxwell is. We just decided that snuggling together brings our little portion of the family closer together.

Ensign Rebel - out..
UFS Chief of Operations
Chief Operations Officer
XO USS Maxwell
JayceRebel

Stardate: 151119

*coughs and wheezes as shi breathes a bit* Where to start. Lets see. Two cracked ribs, one broken. Deflated lung (good thing I have two). Plasma burns and my hair is a mess. Also, the smell of burnt fur, not very nice. I think the majority of the bridge crew is in sickbay with me and the Maxwell..... She's busted up pretty bad.. I tried the best I could to keep her flying straight. I was barely able to get her into a semi-stable orbit around the star. If it weren't for the station keeping program I wrote a couple of weeks ago, we wouldn't have the 35 days we have now to figure out what to do. How could a scientific mission to explore something so beautiful turn into an all out assault with Romulans? *coughs again and catches hir breath* Both Auranum and Sandie were hurt. I felt Auranum's pain like it was my own and Sandie.... I'm bleeding for her inside as well as out. I can't recall everything that happened but I know I was knocked unconscious during it sometime and managed to come back firing my phaser again.. Goddess protect us, but I don't know if we are going to make it out of this one.. I know one thing. The crew of this ship will NOT go down without a fight! *coughs violently several times and gasps* Ok, probably not a good idea to get so excited.. I've finally found a family on this ship and I will kill anyone who tries to take that from me.. from us..

Ensign Rebel - out..
UFS Chief of Operations
Chief Operations Officer
XO USS Maxwell
JayceRebel

Stardate: 151127

They gave me a new lung today. Cybernetic... It seems that my unique DNA patterns doesn't lend to replicated body parts. Makes me wonder what happens to me if something more important gets damaged. How far will I go to stay alive? How much of the original me will be left in ten years? Twenty years? Will those whom I call friends recognize me? Will I be no more than a collection of cybernetic parts with whats left of my mind inside? I'm way to drained to be so introspective.. I should really get back to the helm but I have way too many busy bodies that keep pushing me flat back on the bed. I'm going to go crazy here. I wonder if I can talk Te'ellis into breaking me out of here, its the kind of challenge she would enjoy. Why is that nurse loading a hypo spray? Crap... Oh look butterflies!

Ensign Rebel.... oooo pretty.....
UFS Chief of Operations
Chief Operations Officer
XO USS Maxwell
JayceRebel

Stardate: 151203

Do you know how hard it is to sleep when there is a star literally RIGHT outside your window? I managed to get the algorithm I created modified to keep us going a while longer. The Captain decided to use parts from the warbird to see about fixing the Maxwell. Have you ever seen what happens when you take a group of children into a candy store? That was everyone playing in zero-G today. Ever seen a rabbit jump? Now imagine that in zero-G. Sandie took off like a rocket a couple of times and I was worried she would wind up Superman'ing her way into the star the way she shot around the engineering compartment. Lt. Quick and I managed to actually turn the Maxwell into a ship that sails the light. It was almost poetic. Between her calculations and the algorithms I came up with, we made the equivalent of an autopilot for the solar sails and managed to make it around the star and to the warbird in good time. Sandie was a bit like a hyper kid put into a ball pit to play. Auranum has locked himself in our room and from what I can read from him, he is doing something and needs the privacy. I worry of course, but after last time, I don't think I can afford the chickens it would take to apologize again. I think I even heard Te'ellis giggle in her EVA suit, although she will never admit it, she was having as much fun as everyone else rocketing around the room and walking on the walls. I think we all needed to let loose a bit. I'll be darned if I let this ship fall into the star though. This is the only home I have and I'll do anything to keep it, family and all.

Ensign Rebel - signing off.
UFS Chief of Operations
Chief Operations Officer
XO USS Maxwell
JayceRebel

Stardate: 151210

*rubs at the bridge of hir muzzle in thought*

It has been a long and interesting few days. *starts ticking off items on hir paw*

I gave the Maxwell her first kiss. I managed to get her lined up and mated to the warbird for the core transfer, it was very exhilarating!
We managed to get the power systems charged with minor issues by remotely linking the warbird's power systems to ours.
We disconnected the warbird's core.
We transferred the core to the Maxwell.
We got everything hooked up and systems powered.... partially.
We heard Te'ellis sing.. I piped it into the communications in engineering for a hoot. She isn't that bad actually.
We towed the warbird away from the star, very slowly..
We managed to salvage a good chunk of data from the warbird's database. I have it running through translation matrices now, but Te'ellis is working with a crew in computer lab 3 for manual translations.
We've got hot showers again!! *wrinkles hir muzzle* Some needed them more than others.

Also Auranum came out of seclusion. He is grey now.. From what I can read he is OK-ish but very irritable. If he needs anything I'm sure I'll know about it mentally before he blows up at someone. I hope.

Sandie... I'm going to have to drag her bodily from engineering and make her eat and sleep. She is slightly obsessed. Maybe I'll set her up with a hot shower and a full body brushing, that usually knocks her out for several hours and she really needs the rest.

I worry very much about my mates. I worry about the rest of my family too. This has taken quite a toll on everyone here and it is starting to show. There are happy smiles everywhere but I can feel the underlying tension in the air and the worry that this will all be for naught. *makes a face* But being the ships councilor isn't my job, the best I can do is listen when someone needs my ears. We still have a long way to go, I just hope we make it through safe and sane.

Ensign Rebel - signing out...
UFS Chief of Operations
Chief Operations Officer
XO USS Maxwell
JayceRebel

Stardate: 1512117

*sighs* Where to start.. I think Sandie needs help. I'm worried... Very worried.... She thinks shes hiding it well, but she's using stims. I'm not sure where she's getting them from but I think they are the only thing keeping her going and that can't be healthy. I don't think shes been to bed in three days, if not more. I need to talk to the Doctor, I.... *sigh* I may have to get him to take her off duty for her own safety. What she is doing to herself is going to hurt her, maybe permanently. I can't let that happen, she's my mate now, and family takes care of it's own. If it is one thing that I learned in my past life, is that life is too short and you have to hold on to the one's that mean something to you, that you must protect the ones that bring joy to your life because you never know when they may be gone and sometimes you have to be the one that watches out for them when they can no longer watch out for themselves. I know she would do the same for me, but I'm afraid this will place a rift between us. I just hope one day she will understand how much I love her and care about her and forgives me.

Ensign Rebel - signing off...
UFS Chief of Operations
Chief Operations Officer
XO USS Maxwell
JayceRebel

Stardate: 151223

Computer start recording... *there are twinkling lights behind hir hanging on the wall along with green boughs of what looks like pine*

I'm not really sure what all of the fuss about this thing called Christmas is. I've also heard it called winter solstice and a few other things. How can one week have so many different names? I've asked a few crew members what it is all about but I have gotten as many different answers as I have asked crew members. Everyone seems to think its something different. Some people put up brightly colored coniferous trees from Earth. Some people like an odd looking candle holder with multiple candles in it. One crewman had a brightly decorated log. It seems there are many different observances for this same period of time. It also looks like this is more of a time of good will and kindness to ones fellow being. We never had anything like this where I came from and it is all new to me but it seems like the giving of gifts is a common theme. I wonder what I can scrounge up to give as presents. I'll have to see what I can come up with.

Ensign Rebel - signing off...
UFS Chief of Operations
Chief Operations Officer
XO USS Maxwell

Return to “USS Atlas Archive”