UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Duty Post: Vice Chief of Staff
Ship/Station Posted: UFS HQ
Grid: Second Life

=A= Starfleet Communication =A=

To: Starfleet Medical
CC: USS Maxwell Database Recording
Subject: Discovery of new hazardous disease - Hellminthic Piretitis (Kpertik Plague)

=A= Encryption Level Alpha 5 =A=
Transmit HASH Value = MKxH4N7PqZknqGkTccPE
Received HASH Value = MKxH4N7PqZknqGkTccPE
Encryption Key = qxvImYlaqC7Ql7temRYb
Decryption Status = DECRYPTED

=A= BEGIN MESSAGE =A=
Sirs,

While responding to an emergency request from Kpertik, we realized that we were dealing with a HAZMAT situation caused by a global pandemic caused by an unknown virus / bacteria / nanite / parasite. After reviewing the information the Kpertik medical facilities, we have discovered that a new breed of parasite has been running rampant on the planet. We have "affectionately" called it Hellminthic Piretitis, AKA the Kpertik Plague. I have attached the full medical write up on this parasite to this message. Please keep this confidential as we do not want to cause a panic. We are not sure of a cure as of yet as we have not been able to properly investigate the parasite up close, and are basing this information on the medical files / recordings sent to us.

There are a few things of note I must bring to your attention. The hazard level of this parasite is RED as it is VERY infectious and deadly. Often patients will die within 5 hours of infection. Liquification of the body is normal and poses additional HAZMAT concerns. Per the captain's request we are not bringing ANY samples near the ship and will handle all experimentation / investigation on the planet. We also will be in full EVA suits and have already insituted full HAZMAT conditions on the ship, including changing the cargo bay into a clean / DECOM room when teams return from the ground.

I would recommend making a fleet-wide warning about the planet Kpertik that all ships should avoid the area until we have identified a cure and contained the situation. I would rather this not come onboard a Federation and cause an even bigger headache. I will send a full write-up on the cure and implementation of treatment to the planet and will send an ALL-CLEAR when the level of infection has been reduced to 0%.

Thank you for your attention.

//SIGNED//
Luke SpiritWeaver, MD, LtCmdr
Chief Medical Officer
USS Maxwell.
Luke SpiritWeaver, Capt, UFS
Vice Chief of Staff - UFS
Vice Surgeon General - UFS

Service Jacket: Luke SpiritWeaver
Luke SpiritWeaver
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

=A= Starfleet Communication =A=

To: Starfleet Medical
CC: USS Maxwell Database Recording
Subject: Discovery of new hazardous disease - Hellminthic Piretitis (Kpertik Plague)

=A= Encryption Level Alpha 5 =A=
Transmit HASH Value = MKxH4N7PqZknqGkTccPE
Received HASH Value = MKxH4N7PqZknqGkTccPE
Encryption Key = qxvImYlaqC7Ql7temRYb
Decryption Status = DECRYPTED

=A= BEGIN MESSAGE =A=
Sirs,

After working with Maxwell Science Department. We were able to identify a cure for Hellminthic Piretitis. Because this parasite was using water in any form (including body sweat, ground water, standing water, etc) we were able to administer the cure to affected areas and have provided the chemical makeup for the cure to the medical crews on the planet for further implementation. This also works for individuals already infected with the parasite, and is safe.

Kpertik is now ALL-CLEAR based on the levels of infection witnessed before we left the planet. Please see attachments for further information

Thank you for your attention.

//SIGNED//
Luke SpiritWeaver, MD, LtCmdr
Chief Medical Officer
USS Maxwell.

Attachments:
Hellminthic Piertitis water samples 9684624 - 9684810
Hellminthic Piertitis cure chemical makeup
Kpertik water sample 41147 - 41250
Blood samples 019519754 - 01952078

Luke SpiritWeaver
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

=A= Medical Log – 170411.0801 =A=
=A= Luke SpiritWeaver, Cmdr, CMO =A=

Chief Medical Officer’s Report, USS Maxwell

This medical log is for the past few months. Due to situations beyond our control the data is just being compiled.

First Contact Mission
Dr. SpiritWeaver, Dr. Yaria & Dr Raven were assigned to join the bridge staff on a first contact mission. The name of the species or the planet is blanked from my memory for reasons not for this log. This mission changed drastically when the away team, including the medical team, was arrested for refusing to aid this race in their war against a neighboring planet. The USS Maxwell was told to run and we complied with our captors. Due to not having any medical equipment available, Dr. SpiritWeaver, Dr. Yaria and Dr. Raven were at the mercy of the guards. Dr. SpiritWeaver was rendered mute due to severe electrical torture that damaged his vocal chords. After he was released, scar tissue developed over the tissue preventing it from vibrating and making any sound. Dr. Yaria and Dr. Raven took lead of medical as Dr. SpiritWeaver was in no shape able to assist in the prison.

Away team was rescued after a prison break by a passing freighter and landed on a strange planet. Dr. SpiritWeaver was assisted and returned to active duty, but was still unable to speak. With the help of Dr. Yaria and Dr. Raven, they were able to identify a pathogen that had killed another shuttle crash numerous years before the away team found them. The USS Maxwell met the freighter and the medical staff was able to properly treat all of the away team.

Injuries included, but not limited to:
  • Broken Ribs
  • Broken Legs
  • Broken Arms
  • Broken Noses
  • External lacerations
  • Internal organ damage
  • Psychological distress
  • Cybernetic implant damage
Dr. SpiritWeaver refused treatment until all other crew was treated and they were out of combat. After conditioning and physical therapy Dr. SpiritWeaver has regained his voice through the use of an artificially grown vocal chord using stem cells. All other crew were treated by Dr. SpiritWeaver, Yaria, or Raven and are under observation to make sure no other issues exist.

Medical Note: Psychological "twitch" has been noted in security / tactical officers when interacting with non-federation species. Would recommend all members review Diplomacy 101 class before an issue developes.

Distress Signal from SS Astraios / Freighter

USS Maxwell responded to a distress call from the SS Astraios after a well-earned shore leave. Dr. SpiritWeaver was on bed rest due to an operation he had just undergone to repair his damaged vocal chord. Dr. Yari and Dr. Raven responded on the Maxwell, assisting anyway they could.

USS Maxwell was then deployed to a strange phenomenon where she located a freighter in distress. After responding to their S.O.S, a medical "Code Orange" was declared. When we arrived it was determined that there were 15 souls on board that needed radiation treatment. Medical Code Orange was terminated and EMT Team Alpha and Dr. SpiritWeaver was deployed to treat and triage the crew. All freighter crew received treatment and monitored by medical EMT's.

Medical Note: Radiation levels found in crew of freighter were much higher than initially calculated. Suggested that these individuals has some level of radiation poisoning before being exposed to the phenomenon they are stuck in.

Digital Signature: <<9d0ztvgSDO>>
Luke SpiritWeaver, Cmdr, MD
Chief Medical Officer
USS Maxwell
=A= End Log =A=

Yaria Carmona
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

=A= Medical Log - USS MAXWELL - 170420.1752 =A=
=A= Procedure Log - Autopsy - Subject 00245 =A=
=A= Yaria Carmona, Ensign, MD, Xenopathology =A=

[17:53] Yaria leans over the examination table and taps the console for extra illumination, taking her time surveying the prone alien form before her. "Computer, commence medical examiners log, subject 00245...This is the second corpse recovered from the debris field in grid 046345 keypad 7...as the other specimen has been 'misplaced' and not yet located we will turn our attention to this one for the time being."

[17:59] Yaria reaches into the equipment tray and retrieves a number four laser scalpel. "Commence visual and medical sensor recording of the subject...autopsy begins at... 17:58 under level 5 quarantine. Visual inspection of the subject reveals humanoid style, external genitalia resembling anatomical females. Initial scans suggest these structures to be at least partially functional."

[18:06] Yaria hums to herself for a moment as she conducts surface measurements and directs the scanners to some of the leaking fluids. "Cursory scans suggest the specimen is likely an adult and measures 194.34 centimeters, weight is.... 71.6 kilograms, skin is pallid and mobile to the touch, eyes are black with no visible iris, ears are under developed by humanoid standard."

[18:12] Yaria takes a fresh sample of bodily fluid from the congealing pools. "Some fluid has escaped the body, however there are no external signs of injury other than exposure to vacuum." She pauses to look over at the sensor output "Initial scans show relatively normal humanoid structures beneath the outer surface, the bone structure is of lightweight construction, hollow bones with signs of honey combing for strength. Standard autopsy procedure is indicated, we will begin with a Y incision by laser scalpel."

[18:18] Yaria performs a classic Y incision, peeling back tissue to examine the organs beneath. "Outer tissues are somewhat thin and permeable by humanoid standard, no obvious indication of a distributed vascular system." She reaches to adjust the light source. "There is a plate of what appears to be keratinized tissues covering the rib cage, likely to protect against puncture wounds passing between the ribs, increasing the power setting by 50% to compensate and continuing dissection."

[18:23] Yaria disects through bone and sinew, splitting the specimen open for further inspection. "Standard configuration for what look like pulmonary organs, configured as six single lobe formations, there is a mass of muscle tissue which may serve as a heart given its central, protected position in the anatomical field." She reaches her hands in and begins manipulating the soft tissues manually.

[18:28] Yaria gives a small frown as she shifts tissues and explores the specimen more fully. "As initial scans suggested, the external genitalia do not seem fully functional, the mammary equivalents have the lipid formations of typical humanoids but seem to lack any other glands, making them...decorative." Leaning in closer she continues "There are other signs that heavy genetic manipulation may have been involved, I am finding no signs of vestigial organs, the flow from orifice to orifice seems uninterrupted with no sign of a stomach or equivalent...this suggests the subject did not consume natural sustenance..."

[18:32] Yaria receives the comm that she is needed as she is elbow deep in the corpses bowels and curses in Andorian. "All right all right, I'm on my way." She calls out "Computer, suspend recording and maintain biohazard containment..." She eyes the curious corpse "Don't even THINK about sneaking away on me.." She says before going to scrub out and join the away team.

=A= Log suspended =A=
Njal Edwyn
Medical - Lt Commander
Medical - Lt Commander
Duty Post: Medical
Ship/Station Posted: USS Maxwell

=/\= Medical Log, Doctor Emma King, Vice Chief Medical Officer=/\=

Computer, Begin Recording. Redact name Ra'Vassh from public logs, Authorization Edwyn 2600.

Add note to command archives: Subject Ra'Vassh has requested their name be held in anonymity for fear of reprisal, but was willing to donate the material collected.

Begin official log:

First Contact was made with the Namadolians.

Subject *autoredacted* made their way to the medical bay to submit samples for genetic sequencing and research.

Doctor Ezra Vespri assisted, his report to follow.

Samples Collected and to be analyzed are tagged as follows:

Blood Sample #22316.1

Visual observation: Blood is blue in color and of a thin consistency.

Skin Sample #22316.2

Visual observation: Most of the species is covered in armor-like scales that are difficult to detatch. *autoredacted* Indicated a soft space beneath the arm where a skin sample could be taken. Skin there was very soft and moist, more akin to an amphibian than a lizard.

Scale Sample #22316.3

Visual observation: Very hard, partially insulated. Likely evolved to protect against predators when in the water. *autoredacted* noted that scale given shed naturally and that removal of a non-shed scale would be painful and difficult. No sensation through scale beyond hard vibration.

Secretion Sample #22316.4

Visual Observation: *autoredacted* Warned that many species find the protective secretion to be corrosive, causing discomfort, rash, and possibly burns, on contact with skin. I wore gloves while handling the subject. Hypothesize that the secretion is to aid in above-water survival, protecting soft membranes from becoming dried and cracked. May also be a defense mechanism.

Species Observation:

Species breathes both underwater and above, though above water seems to be much more difficult and requires a high humidity for it to be sustainable for any length of time. Suspect that species has something similar to the labyrinth organ found in some species of fish on earth, which allows for brief periods of air breathing, with underwater breathing being easier.

Species is large, topping seven feet at estimate. Finned arms and legs aid in mobility under water, but are an encumbrance above. *autoredacted* stated that species is primarily vegetarian, but does consume some meats as part of ceremonial actions.

Please note: Species appears to be primarily peaceful, but regards their water environs as sacred and will retaliate against those who pollute or otherwise damage the water.

Computer, end log.
Njal Edwyn
Medical - Lt Commander
Medical - Lt Commander

=/\= Medical Log, Doctor Emma King, Vice Chief Medical Officer=/\=

Computer, Begin recording.

Link recording to Patient Medical File Admiral Nora Gerhadsen. Authorization Edwyn 1600.

Please attach all medical scan information here.

Patient Nora Gerhadsen

Presented unresponsive to medical bay.

All vital signs presented normal, with the exception of brain activity, which was reduced to nearly nothing.

Patient was exposed to telepathic being named Mc'Eclon. One of those creatures that likely is the origin story of certain mythological creatures on Earth. All telepaths were affected, but all recovered within a day with no permanent damage.

Admiral Gerhadsen showed no signs of recovery or improvement.

After a week of waiting for nature to take its course (and we know so very little about Kin-Li physiology, particularly that of their brain, that I was reluctant to intervene too soon) I decided to apply a neural stimulator. Patient responded immediately, but appeared to be in intense pain that was, somehow, broadcast out to the rest of the ship, affecting only telepaths.

Brain scan showed intense neural activity that I have now come to believe are the result implanted memories. This was confirmed later to be the case.

After several failed attempts (see attached data file #GH21116), I managed to put a regulator onto her that suppressed enough of the activity that she no longer appeared to be in pain, nor was broadcasting it. Unfortunately, a side-effect of this was the complete suppression of all memories, including knowledge of her name or the ship. Or even her species.

I encouraged her to begin recording entries in her log, in hopes that it would help her to recover memories while Doctor Vespri and I worked on the problem.

So far no treatments have proven effective in either returning her true memory or separating out the implanted memories. Given the Admiral's neurological history, i can't say for 100% that this is fully the result of her encounter with the creature.

While running a standard test, the Admiral began to speak in a tongue that was later discovered to be the same native language as the creature called Mc'Eclon. She also appeared to change, both her own appearance, growing more...nightmarish is the only word.

However, the visual affect only seemed visible to those who were natively telepathic. Non-telepaths just saw the Admiral as she truly appears. A partial translation showed that she had said she was lonely and hungry, and perhaps hunger or emotion are somehow linked to her state.

However, Kin-Li are not built to project telepathically, nor or they built to read anything telepathically except their 'cows' (really a rather scary creature, in truth). The mental road is exclusive to them. So what I cannot figure out is...did Mc'Eclon change something physically that our scanners aren't capable of detecting, OR has the Admiral always had this ability, but had never discovered it because it had never 'unlocked'. Or is it something else.

For now, I am prescribing more contact and discussion with the admiral. Someone will be joining her for every meal, and I myself will answer as many questions as she can throw at me. It has been a mistake to give her too much time alone, I think. I will discuss with the XO the possibility of taking her out around ship in controlled situations.

Perhaps more interactions will help prevent another...incident...like the one encountered today.

Computer, end recording.
Njal Edwyn
Medical - Lt Commander
Medical - Lt Commander

=/\= Medical Log, Doctor Emma King, Chief Medical Officer=/\=

**Emma shuffles her notes open on her PADD and takes a sip of her coffee**

Computer, Begin recording.

Link recording to Patient Medical File Admiral Nora Gerhadsen, Authorization Edwyn 1600

All Medical scan information attached here. Sub-attachment from Doctor Ezra Vespari.

Patient Nora Gerhadsen presented unresponsive to medical bay.

Vital signs presented normal, however patient was exposed to psychic betawave energy from another Mn'Eclon-like species.

Side Note: We really need a name for them.

This time the device used previously to attempt to break connection failed to work. Instead, Patient seemed to function as a sort of two-way radio (Yes, I know how badly that sounds) through which communication could be maintained with the entity.

My working hypothesis is that something about the patient's neurological profile has been altered to match that of these beings, and now she is a conduit (and possible repository?) for the species. After communication was concluded, Patient awoke with no side-effects from the encounter.

Although the Patient seems to suffer no adverse effects, those on the crew sensitive to telepathic or empathic attack did suffer headaches and disorientation of varying strength.

Based on this encounter and the previous I suggested that we return to Pinestri until we can discover the way in which to shield the patient from further use by the entities.

Barring that, I have strongly advised that the patient not be the primary lead on any away
team missions.

As is usual when I give medical advise, and not orders, I have been politely informed that that is not possible in most instances.

I have sent requests to Vulcan and to Fleet medical for all the information available on Kin-Li physiology to try and find a way to protect her from ongoing mental invasion by these creatures.

Computer, End recording

Computer, Begin recording

Link audio file to Commander Sinbad Naiver

Attach medical scans to Commander Sinbad Naiver's file.

Mr. Naiver presented with acute headache and faintness. He was treated for both and ordered to 24 hr rest and was released back to duty pending follow-up examination.

Despite frequent episodes of unconsciousness, Mr. Naiver continues to be reluctant to follow medical advice.

Computer, End Recording.

Computer, Begin Recording.

Link audio file to Lt. JG Doctor Ezra Vespari

Attach medical scans to Lt. JG Doctor Ezra Vespari's file.

Assisting me in treating Admiral Gheradsen, Doctor Vespari suffered acute physical distress as a result of his mental senses being overwhelmed. He was treated and released to the care of his roommate. Scans have not indicated any permanent damage. Will continue his training.

Computer, End Recording.

Computer, Begin Recording.

LInk Audio File to Lieutenant Doctor Emma King

Please forward copy of included copy of medical scans to Vulcan, authorization King 1600.

Initial scan results indicate no further damage, however am sending file to doctor on Vulcan to ensure that my reading of the results is not colored by wishful thinking. Although grief continues to come, I do seem to have been able to control it and prevent further damage. Shipboard excitement probably has assisted the process.

All audio and visual tests appear to confirm the same.

Computer, End recording.

Finalize files and archive.

Return to “USS Atlas Archive”