USS Maxwell Science Log

Moderators: Drewski Northman, Siobhan Crystal

Nora Gerhadsen
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Chief, UF Starfleet Operations
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid: Second Life

This will be where science officer post their official logs for missions with USS Maxwell.
Candi Quick
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

******************************introductory video***********************************

Black Screen: "Hello? Hello? I've got audio... is there a visual? How do I--? Oh. Never mind."

The screen flickers on and Lt. Candi Quick sits there, hair tossled, her uniform jacket off, revealing a not entirely clean dark blue turtleneck shirt. An incredibly disorganized room is behind her, crowded with all sorts of things, most prominently couple of surfboards, and what look like a treasure chest.

"Hi. Ok, so... ummm... my long-suffering Captain recently informed me that I haven't entered a single report since being on the ship, and honestly, I had completely forgotten. I mean, I had the logs and everything, of what we did--I just didn't... umm... bother to make any reports based on them. I still don't see why this is necessary... if we have the logs, why do we need the reports? I could be using this time to... I don't know, party, dance, Jamaharon, bathe, eat, conduct an experiment, invent something, research whatever..." She looks off into the distance, and sighs deeply.

"So anyways, I finally found my copy of the logs, underneath my other surfboard and one of my Cinderella dresses. I think that's the one we used for the last trip to medieval France. Or whatever France that was. It wasn't the Riviera. I miss the Riviera. I miss that little red store with the most wonderful croissants in the Alpha Quadrant. I miss croissants.... mmmm.... Where was I? Oh yes! Science logs! Anyways, my collection was incomplete, so I had to bug Captain Nora for the rest. I don't think she was too happy about that. I wonder if I'm being a pest? I hope not. Anyways, here is the latest report, and from now on, I'll not only keep up to date, but log my perspectives on previous missions."

Candi adjusts the camera, smiles warmly and waves enthusiastically "Bye bye for now! Jeet een turat! Hugs and kisses!"
Candi Quick
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

United Federation Starfleet
USS Maxwell
NCC-21873
=A= Science Log =A=
Mission Name: Nebular Washboarding
=============================================

Asst. Chief Science Officer's Log, Stardate 160401

The Maxwell has encountered another nebula, on our journey to Nabraithian station. Our choices were to go around it, or through.

At the edge of the Nebula, I sent Lt. Rebel an analysis of its composition, which she and Mr. Naiver looked over. Fortunately I was prepared for this, as I explained to Ensign Bit--both my ancestors and Earth's vikings used feldspar as "sun-stones," to navigate through fog, or on cloudy days. Since nebulae are nothing more than big clouds of space dust, this was easy to duplicate using our sensors--using the principles of refraction to ascertain our bearings while in the nebula.

As we entered carefully, guided by Lt. Rebel's expert piloting, sensors indicated something like an aurora borealis within the nebula itself. Ensign Bit and I implemented the Sunstone Device to analyze what we were seeing. We preceded at Warp 3, as the cloud grew denser. And then the Aurora began to move, across the gaseous expanse, from side of the Nebula facing our starboard. Captain Nora ordered me to find the source function for the energetic particles. As the Aurora swept near, we could see that it was changing colors and intensity. I checked for any signs that was being generated by energy lifeforms. Something seemed to be missing, though.

Then we encountered smaller, more solid pockets of gas. We dropped out of warp to collect them. I had Ensign Bit run an analysis on the patterns we were detecting. Then, as the aurora swept in front of us to our portside, it disappeared into the depths of the nebula. I kept looking for a source of the energy patterns, and not finding it. Then Ensign Bit discovered the pattern--a definite rhythm, and nothing random. Looking back, on analysis, we were witnessing a fugue, the beginning of a dreadful symphony.

Then we detected an increase in particle resonance within the cloud. It was stirring, as if coming to life. To what it was responding, we do not then know. We were then hit by what I can only describe as "wind." As Lt. Rebel and Mr. Sinbad stabilized the ship, I detected a geometric progression in the particle resonance--things were about get worse. And the energy particles within the Nebula began to coalesce. Ensign Bit began to hum out the rhythm and harmonies we were detecting--"almost like music," she said.

Indeed, it was like music. The wind hit us in waves, in rhythms and harmonies, each composed of a different kind of particles... coalescing and dissipating, interweaving as the music changed. It reminded me of that giant space crystal I've read about in the Starfleet database. I didn't mention it at the time, but also reminded me of... well, the Maker. On Risa, we call the Maker "Wave-Singer," who sings, while the universe dances to the song.

More than "like music," as Ensign Bit soon discovered. It WAS music. So I asked her to analyze the music as an A&A officer. I explained to the Captain that while the music wasn't a lifeform itself, it was deliberate. The current music sounded to her like that of the French Medeival period. As the song flowed, I began to hear it as a mariner's song from a Northern sea--and yes, there is a difference. Mr. Sinbad thought I was referring to Earth music, but in truth, mariner songs are pretty much the same on any planet, and Northern waters produce a particular feeling, which translates into a particular sort of song. And Risa has a LOT of ocean.

Further analysis of the song was showing that the peaks of the waves, as they curled over, were powerful enough to fuse the gaseous elements. We embarked on a plan to "surf" the waves, witth Lt. Rebel piloting and Mr. Sinbad keeping watch on tactical. I gave them real-time access to our sensors, as Lt. Bit and I continued to analyze the song and find the source, which we did, in short order, after ascertaining the doppler shift of the particles.

The source was a planet on the edge of the nebula, generating an energy beam similar to one that might come from our own deflector dish--only far more powerful. Further, I caught one of the notes of the song being off-key, followed by a slight variance in rhythm, indicated that there was somebody singing, as if through some extraordinary microphone and speaker system. We sent helm the coordinates of the planet. From that distance, all we knew was that there was nothing on the surface, so the source must be underground.

While everyone else was having a hard time as the ship pitched to and fro, and dipped up and down on the waves at it surfed the song, I was more interested in analyzing the data--I was extremely excited about a potential first contact mission. Otherwise I would've taken the time to enjoy the ride. Ah well, maybe we'll be able to do it again.

Ensign Bit informed me that the planet was in our database, listed as being protected by the Asgard, a very ancient and technologically advanced race who are very wise and kind, but have no sense of humor, and I might add, are not ticklish at all.

Then, after a lull in which harmless photons bathed us, the song changed to Greensleeves. It was kind of slow and boring. I so prefer beach music. The main issue here, though, I put to our A&A officer--why was the planet singing Earth songs? And old ones. An Earth radio station? Karoake of the gods? One more wave approached us, the biggest yet, a crescendo! With fireworks!

Then finally, something that Ensign Bit told us was "throat music" from Mongolia. Sounded like a couple of Avarot Get dying on a beach somewhere... or mating. The computer translated that as "Elephant Seal," which is the Earth equivalent. Blech!

We detected shielded facilities on the planet, with the only major settlements being not much more than 100 kilometers away from them. The odd tilt of the planet meant that one half was lush, beautiful and tropical (yay!) and other half an arctic to subarctic hellhole. Ok, not a hellhole, but I hate cold planets. At least 20 distinct species of sapient life were detected, most in small, isolated communities.

Our next move is to actually visit the planet--the cold side. My discomfort at being cold again is only exceeded by my curiousity as to what we will find--not only in exploring a pre-warp civilization with so many species, but also discovering the device that created the aurora and the particle waves.

In Service
Lieutenant Candi Quick
Assistant Chief Science Officer
USS Maxwell
Candi Quick
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

USS Maxwell
NCC-21873
=A= Science Log =A=
Mission Name: Tokubetsu Kogeki Tai

The following log is based on my notes from my first mission aboard the Maxwell.

Asst. Chief Science Officer's Log, Stardate 150827

Recently on the U.S.S. Maxwell, we were attacked by a “Klinganian” vessel captained by one of that species calling himself Korath. After the destruction of his vessel, we held him as prisoner, during which time he made several attempts to take over the minds of the crew, intent on destroying the ship itself. As of now, he is our sedated prisoner. The following are my observations, theories, hypotheses, and speculations.

1. With the help of Dr. Luke Spiritweaver, we managed to devise neural subdermal chips that, when injected, create a kind of low intensity electromagnetic field that interferes with the Klinganian's alpha brain waves, a kind of cage that contains psionic abilities. At first, I thought I was aiming at a Faraday cage, but that wasn't quite the right terminology. Our initial attempts were limited. The patient was able to dissolve the parts of his body containing the chips. Possible improvements: implant the chips in his neck or temples, and make a stronger version of the chip. The drawback is that the chip needs to be implanted at close range.

2. Gas works on Klinganians as well as anything else. Side note: they're half-Organian, a nearly Q-level of cosmic power. You'd think they'd come up a better name than “Klinganian.”

3a. During his time as our prisoner, initial and further scans for quantum signatures, chronitons, anyons, tachyons, nadeons, any and everything (being thorough is fun), I made several strange discoveries. Korath has multiple quantum signatures, all of which were in flux. Further, scans for chronitons indicate what I can only describe as a “blue shift,” which I interpret as a form of retrocausality. In combination, I would say that Korath's current state, perhaps his very existence, is caused by some future event. The fluctuation of quantum signatures indicates potential outcomes, and therefore potential parallel universes, each of which would result, retroactively, in Korath's being. Or I have to seriously repair our sensors.

3b. This might require further explanation. The Organians demonstrated the unusual ability sometimes referred to as “bilocation,” though in this case, to several powers. This is, I believe, related to quantum entanglement's “spooky action,” how two quantum particles can exchange information, synchronizing themselves instantaneously, over vast distances. If we can imagine a being capable of doing this with not just one quantum particle, but with many, I believe we would have an Organian. This would explain how one Organian could not only appear on several ships at the same time, throughout the Alpha Quadrant, but interact with each one as an individual quantum lifeform.

3c. One solution that I believe will help with future encounters with such beings is a tachyon mixer gun, one which could disrupt quantum entanglement, and possible several other features of their existence. I would also like to look into seeing if this could be used against others, such as Organians themselves, Metrons, or even the Q. Additional Note--I still have this weapon in the labs.

4. One strange action of our prisoner was his persistent attempts to destroy the ship itself. In reviewing the history of Organians, I find they had a disregard for their physical beings, since they were actually creatures of energy, who could not be hurt by phasers or disruptors. I also found several references in Starfleet records to the evolution of certain individuals and races, who attained Q or near-Q status as beings. In each case, the abilities of telepathy and telekinesis were precursors in their evolution. It might be suggested that somehow the prisoner would survive a warp core breach at ground zero (so to speak), but it might also be suggested that the prisoner might expect transcendence.

5. That brings me to my final point—this is my hypothesis: the Klinganians are either attempting to evolve, or are trying to stop those who will stop their evolution. It is also my hypothesis that the being the Vera Cruz encountered in 2267 was not an Organian or a Klinganian, but an evolved Klingon that was trying to alter history to ensure the very existence of Klinganians, and therefore salvage whatever became of his people in his timeline. Ok, maybe that's going too far, and maybe I have to cut down on certain experiments with herbs and such, but that's what I have for now.

6. Addendum: now that our ship has a quantum singularity drive, I might just look into some experiments regarding potentiality and entanglement myself. With the captain's permission, of course.

In Service
Lieutenant Candi Quick
USS Maxwell
Candi Quick
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

USS Maxwell
NCC-21873
=A= Science Log =A=
Mission Name: Wolves of the Virtual Sea

The following log is based one my notes from my second mission aboard the Maxwell.

Asst. Chief Science Officer's Log, Stardate 150903

1. What began with a simple ceremony honoring the fallen Trill host Lt. Commander MacKenzie Godric, and several promotions led to an adventure in a glitched holodeck. The broken program pitted us against an attacking pirate ship. After a brief adventure exploring the program, I was summoned back to the ship, to help repair the control panel. April did so with some copper utensils I found in the ship's kitchen.

2. Neat program! I found food, a carpet, a winery, gunpowder, a mine, and sausages!

3. After we repaired the holodeck, the pirate captain was wandering around the ship. The ESH program was deleted, but the connections to the bridge holoemitters were still open, and not quite right. The controls locked us out. Initially I was more focused on getting our sensors up and running, as per the Captain's initial commands.

4. Came up with a wonderful solution to "killing" the holo-pirate. I changed into my hula girl outfit, and whipped up a Risian Mai Tai with some special additions--electrolytes which would react to an electromagnetic frequency and ionize within the hologram, destabilizing and disintegrating it, from the inside out.

5. I kept offering the pirate Mai Tais (which were actually quite good--harmless to Risanoid lifeforms--Risians, Humans, Vulcans, Romulans, etc), and had the EM emitter in my hand, when the program ended, as per the Captain's plan--when the story ended, so did the program. Oh well. Another brilliant plan that was a minute late and a credit short. Should have explained my plan to her, but it was a little spur of the moment.

In Service
Lieutenant Candi Quick
USS Maxwell
Candi Quick
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

USS Maxwell
NCC-21873
=A= Science Log =A=
Mission Name: Planet on Fire

The following log is based one my notes from my first mission aboard the Maxwell.

Asst. Chief Science Officer's Log, Stardate 150910

1. After a couple of weeks in drydock, we finally set sail for the Hapke Cluster. My own continuing experiments with my leptonic wand were going poorly--everything I tried to levitate exploded. Biological testing will have to wait. Signs of improvement: I did manage to turn off the quantum defribulator before my shift officially began. Didn't want to repeat what happened last time.

2. We sailed to the Hapke Cluster, approaching the first interesting star system, called at that time 73j. A single-star system, with a G3V sun--1.04 mass; surface gravity 4.37; effective temperature 5710 kelvin; color index (b-v) 0.642. 12 planets, five of which are gas giants, and seven are solid. One of the seven is breaking up and forming an asteroid belt. Five of the six others, three are completely barren, three have no electromagnetic fields, and two are gas covered. It was the fifth planet that attracted us to the system in the first place.

3a. It was a world divided between heaven and hell: half was Class M, the other Class L. Gravity- normal. Tectonics-normal.

3b. In the rocky highlands of the Class L plateaus and expansive mesas, the thin atmosphere was topped off by great clouds of gas, heavy with carbon. The borderlands burned at 300 degrees celsius. Giant canals of immense heat branched through what remained of each continent. Our sensors indicated the planet's vast deposits of hydrocarbons had ignited somehow--an eternal flame.

3c. but in the deep and wide valleys, canals and the Class M areas, the air was hot, thick, and humid. Near the borders, the air was choked with noxious fumes and billowing smoke. The rest of the world was lush with foliage, thanks to the greenhouse gases feeding the vegetation that grew in amazingly rich soil. Frequent, violent thunderstorms formed and dissipated quickly across the habitable parts of the globe, dispensing rain high in hydrochloric acid.

4a. Of greater interest to us were the structures we detected: granite buildings--young on the paradise side, while older and ruined on the inferno side. A class one probe indicated beaming down would be difficult--the atmosphere was heavily ionized from the constant storms.

4b. Another remnant of the past was the AI buoy--squawking a radio warning to visitors to avoid the planet and its hazards to biological life. The buoy explained itself as over a hundred years old, created by the Grun'qa, specifically one Mohan Quras. Scans indicated it ran on a plutonium battery. The Captain hypothesized that we might be dealing with what remained of a pre-warp civilization. Yet one expecting interstellar visitors?

In Service
Lieutenant Candi Quick
USS Maxwell
Candi Quick
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

USS Maxwell
NCC-21873
=A= Science Log =A=
Mission Name: the Burnt World

The following log is based one my notes from my first mission aboard the Maxwell.

Asst. Chief Science Officer's Log, Stardate 150917

1. We beamed down a place between the fire and the forest. Discovered habitation close to the danger zones. Fumes, smoke, ash. Clarification: CARBON ash, not volcanic. Still icky. Nice temperatures though--86 degrees. Just like home. Was forced to wear an EVA suit. I hate EVA suits.

2. Investigated a volcano. The others discovered burned skeletons covered with microfractures, the tissues picked clean off of them. The volcano was full of carbon, tar, oil, natural gas, and a horrible smell. Scanned the soil, sky, everything. The bones too. They were over 100 years old. Microwaves?

3. My hypothesis, at that time, was that microwaves would account for the bodies being stripped clean of organic tissue, and the ignition of the hydrocarbon deposits. The volcano could very be the former site of a malfunctioning seismic stabilizers. Such things use microwaves. While not necessarily the case, this would explain a lot of what we found.

4. We were running out of oxygen, and had to make for the forest. I was nearly passed out, far before the others, since Risians require more oxygen. Fortunately the Maxwell crew made repairs, and we were beamed out.

In Service
Lieutenant Candi Quick
USS Maxwell
Candi Quick
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

USS Maxwell
NCC-21873
=A= Science Log =A=

Asst. Chief Science Officer's Log, Stardate 150924

1. Back aboard the Maxwell, we analyzed the data we found. Dr. Spiritweaver believes a massive, violent shockwave wiped out the Grun'qa civilization. My theory is that it involved a problem with the seismic stabilizers. Dr. Spiritweaver suggested a nuclear war or an asteroid strike. There was no evidence of either--no craters or radioactivity. Capt. Gerhardsen wanted us to find the cause of the fires and their fuel source. I felt out of my depth, not being a geologist, and further Risa never developed fossil fuels, nor did it ever enter an industrial period. We greeted our first alien contacts, representatives of the Orion Syndicate, on chariots by land and canoes by sea.

2) Capt. Gerhardsen and Dr. Spiritweaver oversaw the selection of our next beam-down site. We were looking for ruins with technology and structures, in a temperate environment. My concern was to find a nice beach, and a good source of fresh water, as well as a pleasantly salty ocean. Back to reality--seriously, we needed to avoided the larger fauna and the insect life, and some plants. Being a balmy 84 degrees, the jungles and waters were swarming with bacteria.

3) One possible help, if we could douse the fires with inert gas, would be the dumping of iron sulfide in the oceans, which would increase the phytoplankton population, which organisms would then scrub the atmosphere.

4) In selecting a beam-down site, I first picked a nice, scenic cliff, overlooking a bay. The Captain pointed out its seismic instability, so after that I paid closer attention to details besides the pleasure of appearance. She found the ancient caldera of an extinct volcano in the plains. Its depth was closer to the core, and it allowed access to the network of subterranean passages she was curious about. Despite the advantages, there were also problems--large hungry fauna roamed the plains, and the volatile thermals of the planet made the plains a tornado alley. We also needed to avoid other dangerous fauna haunts, like marshlands and river deltas. The final selection was a place in a jungle, with some ruins and tunnel access. Lots of fresh fruits, veggies, beasties, and bugs. She ordered us to bring along sample containers.

5) Beaming down, we noted that there were trees and rocks, but very little sand, or even deep soil. Red Crystals were in abundance, even throughout the ruins. Grown? Laid? Fallen? How did they get there? Scans indicate an extensive cave network, extending for miles beneath the surface, and going down nearly to the magma layers. A number of valves seemed to be placed to regulate the passages. Resource extraction? Core sampling? Not a very efficient mining operation for large scale exploitation, and such a civilization wouldn't need to natural gas.

6) Our investigation was interrupted by earth tremors, followed by marauding "Selenites," as one of our crew members dubbed the bipedal insects that swarmed out of the tunnels and open crevices. I then implemented my personal protocol: I ran away and hid. Behind a console, next to a skeleton. I scanned both. I attempted to ascertain the cause and effect relationship of the crystals changing color and the waves of attackers. Red seemed to be "stop" and Green seemed to be "go." Dr. Emma Faraday suggested we use pheromones and sound--both of which I had, having brought both my pheromone grenades and my sonic screwdriver.

7) Why were the bugs attacking? For food, as I thought, or in defense, as Lt. Godric thought? Either way, scanning the bugs, I discovered they were infertile females, which implied a hive social structure. Which implied they were much like ants and bees. I could use "charm gas," as I call it. My sonic screwdriver overloaded and burned out during this escapade. Dr. Faraday's plan, using sound waves to clear a path through the forest, driving off the bugs, worked.

8) Back aboard the Maxwell, most of our away team required medical attention. Thanks to my taking the precaution of wearing light combat armor and implement my personal protocols, I escaped this adventure nearly unscathed. Sadly, those bitten were now poisoned, their bodies slowing failing due to the toxicity of the formic acid they had been injected with. Combining my knowledge of chemistry and Dr. Spiritweaver's knowledge of medicine, we determined the cure to be alcohol--which esters formic acid into water, quite rapidly. Fortunately, I had already began several alcohol-producing experiments in the laboratories and my quarters, and was able to provide some. Dr. Spiritweaver saved the rest of the away team with direct injections. Having more experience with alcohol, I simply swigged mned down from the bottle. Everyone made a complete recovery, although hangovers were a problem later.

In Service
Lieutenant Candi Quick
USS Maxwell

***********************************************************************************
OOC Notes:

A) problems with my basic RP: somehow I don't usually RP losing my balance during ship-shaking or earth-quaking circumstances. Further, I don't usually RP getting bit, or shot, during battles. I excuse this by saying my character is a surfer, with possibly a genetic advantage in equilibrium-Risa had seismic issues, and in fights, she ducks, runs and hides A LOT. Still feel I'm being lazy. Need to work on this. On the other hand, I was about the only person to beam down wearing the Light Combat uniform--my character is somewhat paranoid. Why isn't this standard procedure?

B) Failed to properly research & continuity issues: in the prior episode, I stated that there were large clouds of hydrochloric acid, even over the habitable regions. Well, that's silly, and wouldn't result from the massive coal/gas/oil fires. Acid rain isn't hydrochloric acid at all. THIS episode, I flatly contradicted what I said the previous one--stating there's acid rain and it isn't hydrochloric. Then I say it isn't sulfide. But acid rain, resulting from several sources, including the volcanic, is either sulfur dioxide or nitric oxide. Silly girl. I corrected this error when writing this log.

C) biological error: Ant bites aren't poisonous. They just cut or puncture. Poison comes from their stings. The usual medical problems with bug bites are the body's reaction to being punctured, and to whatever biochemical that bite induced (fly saliva for instance), and also whatever bacteria that was on the bug.

D) Taking over another person's roll: this still bugs me. No pun intended. Dr. Luke Spiritweaver is the ship's long-standing doctor, and I'm not. In this episode, in analyzing the insect venom, I said it was formic acid and instead of letting HIM come up with the cure--I looked it up on the wiki, probably handed him the link--I started into the alcohol cure.

E) POSITIVE NOTE--THE ILIAD RULE: would alcohol so quickly cure a person if formic acid got into their blood stream? Would it even work like that? Probably not--but here's the thing--Aristotle pointed out that a scene in a story might be absolutely ridiculous and impossible--but if it's necessary in terms of both the plot and the emotion of the story--it just has to happen. He cited Homer's the Iliad, in which Achilles drags the body of Hector around the walls of Troy. In modern times, the movie "Jaws" ended with Chief Brody shooting an oxygen tank in the shark's mouth, causing a massive explosion. Both scenes are silly and impossible--but also absolutely necessary--there's no other way to end it given the logical and emotional momentum of the story. Fellow RPers--these are the moments we live for, and creating them, even accidentally, is a privelege.

F) ANOTHER POSITIVE NOTE-CHARACTER RP: I also used the Wiki to look up what makes Absinthe. I've long established that my character grew up on Risa, and at a tender age started helping out at the beach-side bars of the Temtibi Lagoon resort. Her possession of her homemade brew of "Andorian Absinthe" is massively character driven in three ways: 1) she's a scientist, and therefore a chemist, so she'd know how to brew this; 2) she grew up mixing drinks, and is a party girl, so of course she'd be familiar with various types of alcohol and their effects; 3) she has an unfortunate tendency to ignore protocols, so of course the freewheeling scientist/party girl has been brewing alcohol in her labs and quarters since she boarded the ship.
Candi Quick
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

USS Maxwell
NCC-21873
=A= Science Log =A=
Mission Name: the Burnt World, part Three

Asst. Chief Science Officer's Log, Stardate 151001

1. The Light Combat Uniforms: sleak, slimming, sexy. We'll have to wear these more often. In fact, Starfleet should just replace the drab outfits they gave us with these. So much better.

2a. The Selenites: that's the general type of alien life we discovered, denoting an upright insect lifeform exhibiting sentience.

2b. Our initial encounter revealed the following facts: the "warriors" who attacked us were all sterile females, implying that in order for the species to perpetuate itself, there must be a female who can reproduce, and presumably male drones to service her. We also discovered that they are sensitve to sounds and microwaves, and their bites/stings injected formic acid into their victims.

2c. Our second mission revealed their hive structure, including both natural and artificial caves and tunnels, stretched hundreds of kilometers below the surface, with a population well into the hundreds of thousands--yet there should have been more. Many of the tunnels were contaminated.

2d. Initial analysis of their communication revealed seemingly basic clickety clacks and pheromone traces, without any language. However, as we later discovered, meeting their queen, their clicking was a mathematical code. The warriors were simply repeating the same words over and over again, as Commander Coswell reported--"Burn, time, burn, time, burn, time" over and over again. Communications with the queen, far more intelligent than her brood, proved more enlightening.

3a. One of my little inventions are my "pheromone" grenades, which contain a chemical goop that I can tweak with a protein resequencer on my utility belt. Not only can various pheromones be produced, but so can other gases, poisons, glues, and even salves. Setting off a grenade set on "charm," telling the Selenites we were the same creatures as them, gave us five minutes reprieve--and attracted the attention of their queen.

3b. Capt. Gerhadsen negotiated with her. We came to explore, not invade, as the Queen had thought. The previous inhabitants of the planet, the Grun'qa, had tried to freeze them out, and the Selenites responded by sabotaging the mining equipment, and destroying their enemies.

3c. Selenite Warp Capability: this was the odd thing, and the most wonderful discovery on this mission--this particular species of Selenite had dielectric exoskeletons, which could polarized, given an electrical current. A large group could bind together in a swarm and produce a weak warp field, allowing them faster than light travel, but not by much. Selenites go through four generations/hatchings in a year, so even traveling between two star-systems a light year apart would require four generations at warp one. Their perception of time and technology proved to be quite primitive, and they had difficulty understanding how vastly different our civilization is from theirs. This is one for Starfleet HQ to ponder--we made first contact with a post-warp non-civilization civilization that doesn't know it's warp capable.

4a. From the most wonderful discovery to the strangest: we set up our own beacon warning off other ships from this planet, to spare both visitors and the Selenites any more grief. The hundred year old Grun'qa satellite had burnt itself out trying to keep us away. But that implied something strange: IF the Grun'qa weren't aware of other species in the galaxy, why the warning? Why waste valuable resources warning off aliens, just in case there were aliens? If the Grun'qa were aware, and capable of interstellar travel, why were they drilling for natural gas, assuming that's what they were doing. If it wasn't the Grun'qa who set up the original beacon, then who did? The Selenites didn't have the engineering capability or scientific know-how to do so.

4b. One possibility is that the Grun'qa weren't drilling for natural gas or resources, but were using seismic tests to look for useful materials in interstellar travel, such as dilithium crystals. In doing so, they aggravated the Selenites, who retaliated with sabotage, without fully understanding how devastating their sabotage itself would be, completely wiping out the surface inhabitants. Something tells me that we haven't seen the last of these mystery miners.

In Service
Lieutenant Candi Quick
USS Maxwell
Candi Quick
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

USS Maxwell
NCC-21873
=A= Science Log =A=

Asst. Chief Science Officer's Log, Stardate 151008

1. Bad News: Capt. Thrasher, Col. Shran and Lt. Aries had commandeered a runabout, fought a Cardassian warship, and stole another shuttle. Why? All we knew is that they were headed off to the Nekrit Expanse, to Cartel space--known slavers. Why?

2. I set about looking for anything unusual about Cardassian ships that would stand out on long range sensors. After determining what made their hulls and warp signature unique, I relayed the information to Tactical, real time. After all, what would I know about spotting a stolen Cardassian shuttle from one being operated by its owners?

3. When it finally dawned on me that Col. Sharan was TALAS Sharan from the Vera Cruz, a former crewmate of mine, my mind went into paranoia overdrive. I prepped our sensors to detect all known sensor cues regarding changeling species, even telepathic beings--delta, alpha waves. I scanned for Kitsu'ne telepathic signals. It's possible to detect them if you know what to look for, though it's impossible to read them with our kind of computers. I also considered those little bug things might be controlling our friends--the neural parasites that nearly took over the Federation in 2364. I asked Te'ellis, our Romulan chef, for a list of mind-controlling aliens, given her culinary training on Romulus would no doubt have covered that subject. I managed to find something, and sent the directions to the helm.

4. This ultimately led to a space battle in which I played little or no part, except attempting to track the stolen Cardassian shuttle. We recovered the three renegade starfleet officers, and they were scanned, as per my request, including in terms of their quantum signature--to rule out them being a version of our officers from another universe or timeline. Dr. Spiritweaver discovered, following my own paranoid instincts, that Lt. Aries was in fact being mind-controlled, while the other two had merely been deceived by altered orders.

OOC NOTES:
a) this mission was never resolved on our ship, as it was part of a wider fleet action. I have no idea how everything turned out.

b) and indeed, I seem to recall, to my embarassment, falling asleep during this RP. Since then, I've learned to stock up on Red Bulls, peppermint candies, and anything else that will sustain lil ol' tired me for the duration of the RP.

In Service
Lieutenant Candi Quick
USS Maxwell
Candi Quick
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

USS Maxwell
NCC-21873
=A= Science Log =A=
Mission Name: Loimologia Parts 1 & 2

Chief Science Officer's Log, Stardate 160630-160707

1. Our mission was to save the Kopari homeworld, Kpertik II, from a deadly parasite that was rapidly spreading among their population. Every hour we were delayed meant more people would die. Attempting to reach their planet at high warp revealed a strange and tragic problem--our fuel reserves were 8%.

2. On our way to gas planet to load up on fuel with the Bussard collectors, we were at a loss to discover what the problem was. Te'ellis, our resident Romulan, and Capt. Gerhardsen theorized that the wildly fluctuating fuel level readings were due to some wild manuevers we attempted some time ago. Our secondary systems were damaged--and thus the levels were checked manually.

3. This part of the mission delayed us by several hours, but was resolved quickly enough. One thing of note--Te'ellis' chickpea stock had been mysteriously depleting over this same time period. I'm going to investigate and see if there's any correspondence and any similar inventory fluctuation. Related as well, perhaps, were Mr. Sinbad's sighting of an intruder, who vanished as mysteriously as it appeared. No trace of the intruder was detected, except for a faint, rapidly decaying chroniton signature.

4. As we entered orbit, and prepared for the rescue operation, I suggesting microwaving any water that would be provided. That should kill off the parasites or their eggs. I had also worked on a patient zero program to find out just who that person was. Neither idea was to be implemented. Two questions though--were the Kopari the only ones infected, and would our EVA suits protect us? Without knowing the nature of the parasite, those ponderings were uppermost in my mind.

5. And indeed, Dr. S'Lindi, understandably distracted by death all around us, including the impending fate of his own daughter, was not as focused as I needed him to be. It took every bit of Vulcan training I knew to resist breaking down in a puddle of tears and fears--but Commander Coswell had put me in charge of the lab, and I didn't want to let her down. Sidenote: I'm not least bit Vulcan--I received training in emotional control and guarding one's mind from telepathy, so I could enjoy some jamaharon with Deltans--without getting killed. What was my point here? Oh, yes.

6. Dr. S'Lindi revealed that the ONLY species at all affected by the parasites were the Kopari. The Kopari were not native to the planet, and not even originally reptiles--they used to be mammals before genetic modifications. Which meant that either the parasite was designed by someone, or it adapted itself to their presence after a long dormancy. Recently drilling for a new source of water preceded the outbreak, but also the permit for their colony was contested by one of their neighbors who regard Kpertik II as a sacred planet. There are also numerous interests at play in this part of the Delta Quadrant--including one rather exploitave civilization that has had its hand in a number of environmental disasters.

7. While Auranum and Lt. Bit diligently analyzed the DNA, and experimented with the parasite, trying to find a cure, rioting broke out in the city. Security had to fight of the mobs. Meanwhile, people were dying, turning into goo. Dr. Spiritweaver and I attempted to discover what genetic marker cued the parasite in attacking the Kopari. We also needed to slow down the symptoms.

8. Of course, what we really needed was an ice age. Reptiles are cold-blooded, and thus their metabolisms slow down in cold weather--and indeed, their bodies can slow down almost to the point of death. With so many people dying, or rioting, a good blizzard turned about to be very useful. And that's where our own Lt. Jayce Rebel comes in. Or is it Lt. Commander Rebel? Well, in any case, with her help, we used the deflector array to target parts of the planet's lower and upper atmosphere to create a polar vortex. Given the tropical swamp-level humidity, that meant a LOT of snow and ice. If you're a Risian science student, you're expected to go into one of three fields--geology, meteorology or marine biology. Our weather control system is one of the best in the Federation.

9. With that problem out of the way, we just needed to stop the parasite. Lt. Bit and Auranum had determined it was designed, and that somehow it found gold rather unappetizing. As Dr. S'Lindi's daughter was in the last stages of the infestation, Dr. Spiritweaver and I came up with a last ditch solution--my Genetic Modification kit was beamed down, and adding gold to the recipe, we constructed a designer virus to target the designer parasite. And... thank the Wave-Singer, it worked! All that was left to do was to mass produce and administer the cure... and collect the gooey remains of the plague victims.

10. Special mention should be made of Lt. Bit and Auranum's rather ingenious plan of using a Pelletierine Sulphate torpedo spread to explode in the atmosphere. The vortex we had already created sucked down the particles to where they needed to go, and imbedded in the snow. This helped slow down the parasite even further.

11. What remains now is to find out how the parasite was there in the first place. It could not be ancient, for it was designed specifically for the Kopari. It had to have been recent, and that means somebody wanted them all to die horrible deaths. We should look into this.

============================================

In Service
Lieutenant Commander Candi Quick
Chief Science Officer
USS Maxwell

OOC NOTES:

1. In the first part of the mission, I was pretty much asleep, being extremely tired, and not stocked up on Red Bulls. Will try to do better.

2. In the second part, tons of energy--stocked up on Red Bulls. I'm always worried about ignoring others, or dominating an RP with my enthusiasm. Looking over, I think I need to curtail my big ideas to one per mission. I wasn't very proactive about including others in this either. It's hard to pay attention when so many things are happening at once, but still--another thing to improve on.
Drewski Northman
Command - Captain
Command - Captain
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Atlas

USS Maxwell
NCC-21873
=A= Science Log =A=
Mission Name: The Devil’s Rejects Part II

Science Officer’s Log, Stardate 200204.2030

*Computer, begin recording.*

This is Ensign Drewski Northman, and this is my first official log as Science Officer aboard the USS Maxwell. Needless to say....what an introduction to the ship. The following report details events and results from a recent mission, when I was still acting science officer as a cadet just shy of graduation.

Our mission was to survey an astronomical anomaly called a synestia, an unstable planetary body in the middle of forming. These events are extremely rare to observe, as in the cosmological scheme of things, they are not very long lasting, only around 100 years, until the swirling mass of magma and rock coalesces into a more stable planetoid. This was a rare treat to observe.

We were not the only observers though. Our exploration of the unstable cave system was interrupted by two small ships of unknown design and origin. Due to the refraction from liquid dilithium in the area and the ships’ own shielding, sensors were unable to gain any useful information. We do not even know if they were manned or unmanned, but they did display hostile actions, firing on the ship immediately.

We traded fire as the unknown ships harried us through a series of caverns flowing with liquid metal and dilithium. Each errant shot only increased the local instabilities in the magma flows, and increased the risk to our ships. Our helm officer showed admirable skill in piloting the ship through constantly changing hazardous conditions, and we devised a clever method to escape using the instability to our advantage.

Commodore Gerhadsen ordered us to modify the main deflector array to agitate the magma flow ahead of us and push it in a wave toward our pursuers. It was a highly effective method of destroying the ships, but it also caused a resonance cascade in the liquid dilithium around us. Also, the maneuver fried the EPS relays in the primary deflector, taking it offline. I was able to keep the secondary deflector array operational, using it to shore up the structural integrity fields and keep errant debris off the ship in our hasty exit from the inner portion of the synestia.

Also of note: apparently the secondary deflector array can be used to maintain a warp field and keep a ship moving at a stable speed of warp factor 3. The Academy texts on deflector technology are rather vague on such usage, but it turned out to be successful in practice. We are currently under way back to Pinastri using this method.

I have the sensor data from our hasty retreat running through the ship’s computers (what a computer core this ship has!). Even though we did not have time for thorough scans, we might find some interesting information. I will send the results of the detailed analysis to our resident civilian scientist, Mr. Auranum, for review, as his expertise is in the field of exo-geology. Preliminary results show some solid form dilithium deposits in the outer hardened chunks of rock. Further analysis is required, but we might have a promising source of valuable resources.

*End transmission.*
In Service,

Captain Drewski Northman
CO, USS Atlas NCC 74138
Branch Commander: UFS Science
Drewski Northman
Command - Captain
Command - Captain

USS Maxwell
NCC-21873
=A= Science Log =A=
Mission Name: Hapke Thoughts and Subere Futures

Science Officer’s Log: Stardate 200302.

Computer, begin recording.

The ship was en route back to Pinastri for resupply and repairs when we were re-routed back to the Hapke Cluster, but with one stop on the way to pick up Ambassador April Coswell, former first officer of the Maxwell. This mission should be fairly routine...but it seems that things are rarely routine on the Maxwell.

While we were on our way to the rendezvous point, we decided to run some simulations to stay sharp. I routed sensor data displaying hostile targets to the tactical station, and from there, things started to go haywire. An error in the ship’s main computer fooled the bridge systems into thinking the simulation was real. It even affected the navigational data, displaying the ship flying wildly out of control and locking any real control out. The ship sped towards the rendezvous point without any way of stopping.

Thankfully, Commander Forcella quickly worked to bring us out of warp without blowing the ship up by rerouting systems to auxiliary control. We safely arrived to pick up Ambassador Coswell with little fuss. The targeting and sensor computers were still malfunctioning, which made for an amusing time when she came to the bridge in the middle of a simulated Borg attack. She gracefully overlooked the computer issues.

It took a hard reboot of the sensor systems from the computer core to get everything running. Once all systems were functional, we were able to proceed to our mission in the Hapke Cluster.

Computer, end recording.
In Service,

Captain Drewski Northman
CO, USS Atlas NCC 74138
Drewski Northman
Command - Captain
Command - Captain

USS Maxwell
NCC-21873
=A= Science Log =A=
Mission Name: The Gift/The Case of the Missing Case pt. 1
Location: Tiratus Station, Tiratus System, Sylleran Sector Block

Science Officer’s Log: Stardate 200317.

**Computer, begin recording.**

We are still en route to the Hapke Cluster and Subere space. Our current mission is to acquire a tribute gift to present to the Subere dignitaries. Department heads brainstormed and came up with the gift of knowledge. The Subere also appreciate...how to say it....rather gaudy displays of wealth. So, it was up to the science division to prepare a collection of data to share, engineering to prepare the data storage and access terminal, and our chef and resident acquirer of goods Te’ellis to commission a casing suitably glamorous to impress the Subere.

Our first job in the science department was to pare down our massive data library into a portion that can be contained in a storage device the size of a standing console. Mr. Auranum and I determined that reducing the resolution and details in our astrometrics data, limiting the data to only information at their current technological level, and excluding all classified defense information reduced the size to approximately 7% of our total data stores. We transmitted this information to Engineering so they could continue creating the data storage device.

Once our work was done, an away team beamed down to the station to meet with the artisan, and a deal was struck to create the ornate casing for the console. We remained docked at the station as we awaited completion of the casing.

All was not well though, as we received notice from the station administrator that the artist known as “Dende”, who was supposed to be working on our casing, had disappeared from the station, along with all the latinum we had paid him. The administrator informed us that no ships had left the system since, so the culprit was most likely somewhere in-system.

I immediately began sensor sweeps in and around the station, while Mr. Auranum and LtCmdr Navier went to the station to see if they could track the latinum down. They found that the stockpile had been short-range transported, and my scans indicated that several ships departed the station for mining areas in the asteroid belt, while one took a route towards the M-class planet farther in-system.

The Tiratus system consists of several lifeless planets close to the star with the one previously mentioned planet sitting in the habitable zone. The dense asteroid belt near the edge of the system has kept most legitimate travel and business away from the system, and it has since become a lawless hotbed for the black market and illegal operations. The planet has no indigenous life, but the lone settlement consists of a hodgepodge of Malon, (likely stolen) Federation, Ferengi, Kazon, and other technologies. Our thief (wether it would be Dende himself or someone else) made his way in a small freighter to that settlement.

We are on course to navigate the asteroid field and proceed to the planet to recover the stolen goods.

*Computer, end recording.*
In Service,

Captain Drewski Northman
CO, USS Atlas NCC 74138
Drewski Northman
Command - Captain
Command - Captain

USS Maxwell
NCC-21873
=A= Science Log =A=
Mission Name: Case of the Missing Case Pt. 2/3, Case Against Piracy
Location: Tiratus Station, Tiratus System, Sylleran Sector Block
===================================================

Science Officer’s Log: Stardate 200330.2030

Alert Status: Green.

We have just returned from the surface of Tiratus IV with the missing artist and our latinum secured. Upon beaming to the surface, we found a mining operation near the main settlement. We were “greeted” outside the facility by what I later learned was a Karutak working as their security guard. We posed as buyers for their mined materials, and the crew got busy searching for our missing latinum and any sign of the artist.

I searched a cargo hold inside the main facility, their medical bay, and the vehicle bay. All locations did not yield any results. My search was interrupted when Captain Rebel sent a quiet signal for us to rendezvous on hir location. Shi found a freight elevator that went down into the mining cavern. We detected a single faint lifesign from a small building across the cavern. It ended up being our missing artist, badly beaten. He told us he had been captured by pirates, and where they had stored the latinum. I began basic first aid, wrapping his wounds and administering pain relievers found in a medkit.

We had to make a hasty retreat. The Karutak guard followed us into the cavern and attacked. After a firefight, we escaped and made it to the surface and ran into some nearby ruins to avoid farther on-foot trouble. We began immediately hailing the Maxwell for beam out. It took Commander Forcella climbing onto one of the highest points and using his tricorder as a signal amplifier for us to make contact. We learned that the Maxwell was being intercepted by a small fleet of pirate vessels and could not beam us up. Soon, Commodore Gerhadsen sent us coordinates and told us to get there ASAP.

The Maxwell, piloted by Lt. Silvercloud, performed a risky warp jump into the atmosphere and emergency landing at the edge of a crater. We heard the sonic boom as we were en route to the LZ. The party entered the ship through the rear shuttle bay entrance with zero loss of life.

Upon leaving the surface, we were met with more resistance from the pirate fleet, and I saw that two Federation vessels had entered the system to give us aid. With the help of the USS Courageous and USS Sheppard, we destroyed or caused the remaining vessels to flee. A full report of the battle was recorded in the ship’s log by the Commodore.

We are now once again on course to Suban in the Hapke Cluster.

**End Science Log**
In Service,

Captain Drewski Northman
CO, USS Atlas NCC 74138

Return to “USS Atlas Archive”