United Federation Starfleet
USS Veracruz
NCC - 200808
=A= Science Log =A=
=============================================

Stardate: 160725
Project: Project Gary (ongoing)

Log entry:

For the past few years, the sentient yogurt project, dubbed Project Gary, has been a relatively low priority, but continuously ongoing. First Contact with the yogurt (I cannot believe I just said that) was initially successful on 121004, once the language barrier had been surpassed. As for progress, it did not seem as though the project is advancing. While Gary appears to respond to audio stimuli, it has made little effort to communicate back, or at least that is the perception. Across several frequency waves, nothing has appeared to change. One could argue that this could be the result of a tub of yogurt not having an esophagus, but I beg to differ. Sound is not created out of a throat, but instead waves caused by vibrations. Every lifeform has a vibration, and therefore creates a sound. In this case however, Gary's harmonic signature has remained unchanged.

Noteworthy however is the fact that Gary has not begun to decompose. Even under the most advanced refrigeration techniques, cellular breakdown would occur well before three and a half years of passed time. In this instance, cellular integrity appears to remain in tact.

As it currently stands, Gary does respond to stimuli, and does appear to differentiate between languages it has "heard" versus those which it has not. To eliminate the possibility of harmonic interference due to the effects that language can have on a voice, I had Tonwen Su attempt to speak both Federation English and Federation Greek to the yogurt. After some assurance that this was a genuine experiment and that I had not lost my mind, she complied. The electrical signals only responded to Miss Su's voice when she spoke Greek, and little to no change was found with English. The response for English was varied within .01%, well within the non-responsive threshold. Meanwhile under Greek speech, the electrical signals were increased by 2.1%. On a personal note, my Greek only yielded an average of 1.7% This is either due to Miss Su's accent, or perhaps this is showing a preference to the speaker. It could also be a response to hearing a new voice. To be thorough, I asked Miss Su to speak her native language. This yielded the same result as Federation Standard English, non-responsive.

Another development occurred last week, stardate 160721.1313. Due to years of seemingly little progress with this project, and discontinuation looming on the horizon, I took Gary to the holodeck for one last attempt at new information. I recorded the results on my tricorder, which are included in this report. Gary was brought in its container to an ancient Greece program, though the scenery most likely had more impact on me than the yogurt. I asked the computer to play music from several cultures including Celtic, Caribbean, and even Asian origin. While vibrations were read on the tricorder, this was most likely due to the sound bouncing off of the container rather than any actual response from Gary. However, when I had the computer play a traditional Greek folk song called Μακεδονία Ξακουστή (Makedonia ksakousti or translated "Famous Macedonia") there was an unusual result.

Velocity, displacement, and acceleration were all increased during the playing of Μακεδονία Ξακουστή, versus no increase in the other music types. To ensure that this was an internal forced vibration, and not forced oscillatory increase from the music itself, I had the computer change the key of the music both higher and lower. The same readings occurred. To further ensure that this was not due to some resonance on the part of the yogurt, I had the song increase and decrease in tempo. The yogurt continued to match the rhythm of the music, regardless of what speed or pitch it was played at. In comparison to music from other genres which yielded no remarkable change, the Aegean region music seems to illicit harmonic rhythm response every time.Not only did the yogurt respond to the music, it's oscillatory force coincided with the low frequency markers of the song. In other words... I believe the yogurt was dancing.

Conclusion:

It seems that Gary knows that it is Greek Yogurt... although it is not from Earth precisely. However, it responds distinctly to Aegean originated stimuli, and not that of other Earth or Extraterrestrial cultures. While this experiment started as a search for the time in which simple cellular life can become sentient, there have been a few unexpected results which require further exploration. For the time being, I will refrain from sacking Project Gary, while maintaining its minimal priority.

From "blips" on a monitor, this is significant enough change that I think reporting is warranted. I will have to make a plan for the further progression of this experiment to ensure that it doesn't remain stagnant.

In Service
Commander Skot Brit
Chief Science Officer
USS Veracruz
Skot Brit.

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

Γ Gamma Company Graduate 110222

Access Service Jacket
ScottyBrit Resident
Science - Fleet Captain
Science - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: Chief Science Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Veracruz
Grid: Second Life

USS Veracruz
NCC - 200808
=A= Mission Log from Science =A=

Stardate: 170301

Log entry:

Planetary information for Laturna/Bob VI

Class - Mutara
Aphelion and Perihelion : 252,181.631 km and 199,103,210. km
Orbital period : 1449.0017 d (just shy of 4 years)
Equatorial radius : 5,911.6 km
Polar Radius : 5,898.7 km
Axial tilt : 41.2
sidereal rotation period : 18.7 hr 8 m 20.66 s
Moons : 2 (currently unnamed)
Temperature: min -122C max 85C

Characteristics:
Bob VI... oh fine fine Laturna VI is a multi-climatic M class planet, and the sixth from it's orbiting star. While its slow orbit is tempered by it's rapid rotation and slow moving cloud systems. The poles have the most extreme temperatures, with the southern pole currently the hottest. It may be non-seasonal globally, but current models suggest that at temperate zone slowly moves across the planet, following the semi-equatorial movement of the stellar rays. The cloud system compensates as well for it's extreme temperatures, creating an ideal zone for life on the planet. This zone moves at a slow enough speed to allow native lifeforms to migrate alongside. Meteorological and Climatic studies in the future may be of interest. The land mass stretches across the circumference of the globe at 28 degrees south latitude. There is no corresponding land mass in the northern hemisphere, but there appears to be rising ocean floors. There may prove to be a land mass that rises above the surface sometime in the next few million years.

It has one large ocean (at present) where the majority of life, presumably, would inhabit. There are also a few small seas. We encountered one such lifeform.. or rather the late Ensign Sylinsky did (The random redshirt who died awesomely). The lifeform appeared to be a sort of jelly-squid, with movable tentacles, and venomous, stinging barbs. These stinging barbs produce Chironex Fleckeri at an amazingly high concentration. This is the same venom produced by Earth's box jellyfish... although never in this severe capacity. Death would have occurred in less than a minute, if not seconds. In comparison, fatalities from the box jellyfish can take 2-5 minutes.

The jelly-squid then appeared to take the ensign as a sort of "host." The tentacles reached out of several cranial orifices, and was... disturbing. It also appeared to wave at us. This may not have been a greeting, but instead a lure to attract more "prey." We did not remain in the area long enough to test this theory.

The bob jelly-squid is yet another fascinating, but lethal, fauna that has claimed a security officer.

In Service
Commander Skot Brit
Chief Science Officer
USS Veracruz
Skot Brit.

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

Access Service Jacket
ScottyBrit Resident
Science - Fleet Captain
Science - Fleet Captain

The following report was submitted by visiting Ensign Adaminia Vaar (adaminia resident) during "Another Day, Another Donut" Stardate 230104

//SCIENCE OFFICER REPORT OF FINDINGS
//230104
//Encounter: New Star System

Upon confirmation of new star system, the Chief Science Officer and I decided upon a star system name: the Avarady System.

//Sensor logs to follow:

Avarady Star System

Type M2 V Red Dwarf
Radius 2.51 x 105 km (0.36 x sol)
Mass 4.40 x 1029 kg (0.22 x sol)
Temperature 3000 K
Luminosity 3.64 x 1024 W (0.01 x sol)

I
Avarady Belt I
Type Asteroid Belt
Orbital Radius 1.54 x 107 km (0.10 AU)
Period 6.16 x 102 hours (0.07 earth years)

II
Avarady I
Type Rock Planet
Orbital Radius 3.07 x 107 km (0.20 AU)
Period 1.72 x 103 hours (0.20 earth years)
Radius 8820.23 km (1.38 x earth)
Gravity 14.21 m/s2 (1.45 x earth)

III
Avarady Belt II
Type Asteroid Belt
Orbital Radius 4.85 x 107 km (0.32 AU)
Period 3.43 x 103 hours (0.39 earth years)

IV
Avarady II
Type Ice Planet
Orbital Radius 7.61 x 107 km (0.51 AU)
Period 6.74 x 103 hours (0.77 earth years)
Radius 21163.90 km (3.32 x earth)
Gravity 11.24 m/s2 (1.15 x earth)
Special Advanced alien artifact

V
Avarady III
Type Ice Planet
Orbital Radius 1.32 x 108 km (0.88 AU)
Period 1.55 x 104 hours (1.77 earth years)
Radius 24614.30 km (3.86 x earth)
Gravity 13.63 m/s2 (1.39 x earth)
Special Wreckage of a crashed starship

VI
Avarady IV
Type Ice Planet
Orbital Radius 2.67 x 108 km (1.78 AU)
Period 4.43 x 104 hours (5.07 earth years)
Radius 9006.95 km (1.41 x earth)
Gravity 3.96 m/s2 (0.40 x earth)

====NOTES====
Initial scan was due to investigative action in the course of a mission that led to combat. Various ship wreckage was located on Avarady III, and in Belt II. One confirmed ship located in Belt II, a private Talaxian mining vessel: the Udexa (destroyed, four Talaxian souls lost). Minor insignificant pieces of the Romulan holographic decoy ship might remain in system.

It is the opinion of this science officer that the system could have been used as an ambush site, wherein the holographic ship would use the signature disguising properties of the metal ores in the asteroid belts to hide, and prey upon unsuspecting mining vessels.

Signed,
Adaminia Vaar
Ensign | Science
Temp. Detachment to USS Veracruz
Skot Brit.

Access Service Jacket
ScottyBrit Resident
Science - Fleet Captain
Science - Fleet Captain

USS Veracruz
NCC - 200808
=A= Mission Log from Science =A=

Stardate: 230322
Location: Location to be filled in later, after I take a nap... darn cat keeping me up all night... uh, remember to erase this before sending it!

Security clearance level : Senior Staff and above

Log entry:

Today we were briefed by Captain Bechir, both as CO of the USS Shogun-A and as Head of the Intelligence department, as to the affairs of the Telepathic Empire. The level of threat that they impose is quite clear. In addition, being a quarter Vulcan myself, I am taking these warnings quite seriously. In an effort to support security with their added level of safety and also to help prevent a panic, I have told my staff in the lab that a rather dangerous experiment is going on, and that we need to just maintain a level of security to match it. While I have not asked my staff to report any strange behavior, I have asked that everyone just maintain their normal routines. In my opinion, asking them to report unusual behavior will be counter productive. Implanting the idea that people might act strangely might cause them to see abnormal behavior, even where there is none. Also... we're the science department. We excel in strange behavior. Since I do not want to single anyone out, I have claimed that I'm the one running this high-security experiment. I do not have an experiment of this level running, but I would not want to burden anyone else with this cover. Plus, that would involve some level of disclosure. I cannot place that on my science crew.

So far I have nothing to report for unusual behavior. I have not noticed anyone acting weirder than usual. I will keep inform command if I should see anything suspicious.

Hopefully the attacks of the T.E. along with their psionic booster technology will be stopped before anyone on the ship is compromised. Anyone who can tangle with the Devore are a force to be reckoned with. I look forward to working with everyone to bring this to a swift (and safe) conclusion.

In Service
Fleet Captain Skot Brit
Chief Science Officer
USS Veracruz
Skot Brit.

Access Service Jacket

Return to “USS Veracruz Mess Hall”