Tranquility Operations Log

Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

== Computer, begin recording ==

Ops Log, Stardate 110216
Ensign Tess Tison recording

Commander Randt has been severely and prematurely aged by exposure to Chromiton radiation and other factors. As a result, he is slow dying of old age and will not be with us much longer if we don't do something to reverse the process. So we held a meeting: Commander Randt, CMO Galicia, Chief Engineer Howley and myself. We decided the best approach is to use transporter pattern buffer merging to try and restore the Commander's body to it's proper age. That is the process of taking some physical characteristics from one transporter pattern buffer and merging the into the current buffer so that they replace portions of the existing transporter buffers pattern, while leaving the other portions of the original pattern fully intact. In other words, it is a way to make each cell in the commander's body younger without altering who he is.

Dr Galicia will monitor the Commander medically, Commander Howley will assure the transporter is 100% functioning properly and I will perform the software modifications for the merging process and operate the transporter for the procedure. Of course this procedure will require a lot of preparation and testing. I have already begun to work on this, and will continue to do so over the next week.

I have already pulled up the research and begun determining the best pattern merging algorithms.

Ops Log, Stardate 110217

In preparation for testing, I have transported a lab rat and two Guenna pigs for the explicit purpose of storing their patterns. I will allow the animals to age 3 or 4 days, so that they will be suitable test subjects for the pattern merging transport. The test animals will be carefully examined before and after the procedure to assure that the procedure does not harm them in any way. In addition, we will be able to test to assure their cells are returned to the same physical age as the pattern that I took today. Obviously, if the animals suffer any ill effects, we won't want to use this procedure on our commander.

I have already made great progress on figuring out the pattern buffer merging algorithm. But just to be safe, I have asked Petty Officer First Class Rohan Thelson to examine and verify my algorithm, as he is as much of a software expert as I am.

The more I work on this, the more hope I have that this procedure will work.

Ops Log, Stardate 110218

It looked like the software is in place and Petty Officer First Class Rohan Thelson confirmed that it is correct. So we did our first test today. We used a piece of the commander's hair (follicle and all) as a test case. Then we took it to the biolab and had them analyze it against a control strand that was not transported. The control strand had a chronological age of 79 years. The transported strand had an exact DNA match, and a chronological age of 49 years.

That is an improvement to be sure, but it is not the correct age The commander is only 28 years old. So obviously the algorithm needs more fine tuning. We are on the right track, to be sure, but we are not quite there yet. I need to do a bit more work on this to get the pattern merging just right, but I am optimistic that I will be able to make this work.

Ops Log, Stardate 110219

More software refinements and another test. Petty Officer First Class Rohan Thelson is working very closely with me on this. It is very much a joint effort and we are both making an equal level of contributions here.

The results of today's test were more encouraging but still not perfect. This time the transported hair retained an exact DNA match and a chronological age of 35. We have a bit more fine tuning to go, but we are getting close.

Pretty soon we will be ready to try this on one of the live animals. If that goes will, it should be just a matter of days until we can use this procedure to treat Commander Randt.

== Computer, end recording. ==
Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Ops Log, Stardate 110220

Success! On today's test, the hair follicle tested at the proper age. I was so excited I ran 9 more tests. In fact, I had to go to the Commander to collect a some additional hair samples. He was really busy with some important paperwork. Normally I would not disturb him, but I was too excited to wait and sort of barged in on him. Fortunately, he was very patient with me and allowed me to collect the extra hair samples that I needed.

Bottom line: 10 tests ran and 10 tests passed with perfect results. Perfect DNA match and correct chronological age on the hair follicle.

Tomorrow I will try the process on a living creature, as I am pretty sure that it will be safe for it.

Ops Log, Stardate 110221

I tested the process on the lab rat today, using the transporter patten I'd collected for it on 110216. As far as I can tell, the animal looks none “the worse for the wear” from the test. Biology confirmed that it's chronological age matches the the age of the sample from that date. In short, I made it 5 days younger than it really is.

I did hit a bit of a snag on the test though. I brought the rat to Sickbay and asked the duty doctor to confirm it was in perfect health. It is important that we make sure there are no adverse side effects of this procedure before we consider using it on our commander. The duty doctor looked at me as if I were from Rigel VII and then suggested I take it to the biology lab for a checkup. I tried to explain the significance of this physical, but he was unconvinced. I considered reporting the duty doctor's refusal to CMO Galicia, but she was off duty and unavailable.

So I had no other choice—I took the rat back to the science lab and made my request. The science officer was very understanding but tied up in a time-critical research project. He said he would do a thorough exam as soon as possible, but I will have to wait for tomorrow to get the results.

Ops Log, Stardate 110222

The results on the lab rat came back from the biolab today: no discernible signs of any type of physical harm from the procedure. The rat was in perfect health!

I was so thrilled that I ran the procedure on both of the Guenna pigs as well. Biology was very prompt in examining the Guenna pigs this time—doing a thorough exam on each both before and after the transport procedure. They were unable to detect any adverse effects on either Guenna pig from the transporter procedure, and the DNA match and chronological age were exactly what we wanted!

This seems to be working perfectly now. I am confident that it is safe to try it on Commander Randt. I am preparing a full and detailed report to CMO Galicia about it. I hope she will approve the procedure for tomorrow.

Ops Log, Stardate 11023

Something came up and it looks like it is going to delay the Transporter Pattern Buffer Merge project that we hope to use to treat the Commander's rapid aging condition.

We received a distress call from a shuttle, which was under attack from two pursuing fighter craft. We were able to get the distressed shuttle safely on deck, but the incident caused a bit of a complicated communications problem. The pilot sought sanctuary with us. However, a species called the Vizintian claim the pilot is a fugitive/criminal and want her back. In particular, Vizintian Cmdr Chou of Treilous III is demanding we return the pilot to him immediately and making threats of armed conflict if we don't.

Communications to Cmdr Chou is complicated by two things. First I am having problems finding cultural data on the Vizintians that might help me figure out what tone/demeanor would be most effective in communicating effectively with them. Second, they are using some type of very advanced concealment technology to mask the origin of their signal. It makes it rather difficult to carry on a conversation with someone when you are not sure precisely where to send the signal too.

I have assigned the Beta and Gamma Ops shits to try work with engineering and science to try and determine the origin of the signal. It will be a lot easier to carry on a conversation with them when we know where to send the signal to. In addition, it might change their tone a bit when they discover we know there “exact address” (so to speak). I am hoping that piece of information will make them a bit less hostile and a bit more cooperative.

Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Ops Log, Stardate 110302

We finally did it and it was successful! We ran the Transporter Buffer Pattern Merge procedure to restore Commander Randt to his correct chronological age. I am very pleased that it worked correctly.

Also, we have been able to locate the origin of the signal and now have a location of Treilous III. It turns out that it is about a 4 day journey from Tranquility at warp 5. I am very proud of the Ops crew as they have pulled together and done an excellent job in solving this difficult mystery. I am recommending to commander Randt that he give commendations to all Ops personnel who worked on this project.

== Computer, end recording ==
Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Ops Log, Stardate 110309.2100

At Commander Randt's order, Ops, Engineering and Science have worked together to configure two class 9 probes, and we are ready to launch them. The first is retrofitted with a type of dampening field that will help keep it from being detected, but not impair the sensor array's ability to collect data. It has also been fitted with a special low power narrow band unidirectional transmission device designed to relay data to the second probe. The second probe is a standard class 9 probe. It will be positioned just out of detection range, and it's purpose will be to collect the data from the covert probe and rely it back to us at Tranquility station. If all goes according to plan, this duel probe scheme will enable us to covertly gather data on the asteroid (known as Treilous III) where our refuge-seeking guest was held captive.

The probes should be able to travel at warp 9 unitl we reach detection range, and then slowly ease into the area at ¾ impulse. We estimate an arrival of 8 hours after launch. We also estimate an hour to enable the data link between probes and establish the subspace transmission back to Tranquility.

We are launching the probes now, at precisely 2107. If all goes well, we will start receiving data from the probes in just over 9 hours via a subspace data link.

On a related matter, I have requisitioned the USS Hope, a Danube Class Runabout, for a mission that LtCmdr Darkwyr and his security team will take to the general area to be on standby. I have ordered the runabout to be prepared for the mission, and the ETA is 24 hours. It is not clear that the LtCmdr Darkwyr and his team will be ready to launch in 24 hours, it may take them longer to make their preparations. But I intend to have the runabout prepared, ready, and waiting for them.

Once they launch, the ETA to the target area is 4 days. I am having the coordinates pre-programmed into the navigation system so that the runabout and be set to autopilot should they desire. That will allow their team to focus on their planning and preparation during the four-day trip.

Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Ops Log, Stardate 110329

I began my duty shift at 1700. It was my first shift as Chief of Ops, and my first time the command console instead of the ops station.

:::::: Begin Communication Log :::::

At 1719 I received a hail from Ensign Jamie Czavicevic of security. She was at the Welcome Center at PRF, and requested advice on an incident there. An ensign and operations officer from Cascadia station was performing an arrest and reading someone their rights. Ens Czavicevic wanted to know if Ops had authority to make arrests and I informed her that they do not I also informed her that she did not have authority in PRF to step to intervene, but that I would contact Cascadia Op officer's CO and inform him of the situation, as well as the CO of PRF. However, one of the PRF security officers arrived and took control of the incident, so there was no need to contact PRF command.

At 1724, I hailed CO Graves Paramour of SS Cascadia and reported the situation to him He was out of communication until 1741, at which time PRF Security had already resolved the issue. However, the Cascadia CO requested details and indicated he would be having a discussion with his operations officer. He also requested permission to speak with Ens Czavicevic to get a more detailed report from her. I hailed her and requested (not ordered) that she speak to CO Paramour. She was willing, so I put the communication signal through for their conversation.

::::: End Communication Log ::::::

Supplemental note:
Cmdr Randt,later told me that a security officer does have authority to step in on another station to assist, until that station's security arrives the scene. So I got to learn something today. I contacted Ens Czavicevic and passed that information on to her as well.

Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Ops Log, Stardate 110401
LTjg Tess Tison recording

This is a quiet shift on the Goddard. Our 23 guests are finally settled in. They have and a number of questions and concerns, and some are still under the doctor's care is sickbay. Several of our guests have asked what job they will be expected to do on this ship. The yeoman assigned to their care has had difficulty explaining to some of them that they are guests and not slaves. Apparently, some were kidnapped into a life of slavery when they were quite young--and they simply do not have a concept of what it means to be free or to be a guest. I have suggested to the yeoman that she prepare a selection of video LCARS files for our guests to watch. Perhaps that will help educate them on what it means to be a free citizen. Some of the rescued miners are making the adjustment to freedom very well, and have expressed their gratitude at being rescued. But it is going to be a slow learning process for others of them.

Today, our busiest resource has been the holo emitters used to project holographic images of the crew back to the Pinastri system. Ensign Jamie Czavicevic of security had already been granted access to teach a class at the academy. However, she received news that her brother was shot in a incident on Cascadia station, and she requested additional holo emitter time to visit he injured brother in sickbay. Of course, I granted that request.

I also had to make use of the holographic emitter to project myself to Tranquility station to deal with a minor problem in the shuttlebay involving 5 workbee craft that here inappropriately stowed. I was able to resolve that situation, and the individuals involved have been notified of the procedures for properly stowing their craft.

== Computer, end recording . ==
Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Ops Log, Stardate 110407

You would think that people rescued from slavery would be grateful, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Many of our rescued miners have complaints and “issues with” their rooming assignments, with the supplies they have been issued (clothes, toiletries), etc. 176 new “guests” arrived all at once, so quarters have been tight and I have had to double up, and in some cases put three to a room. It seems that our guests are recovering from the oppression of being in the mines; they are finding their voice and expressing their opinions. Many have complaints about their situation—some don't like their roommate assignment, some feel we are not providing objects required for personal religious observations, and there has been quite a stir about our granting asylum to one of the guards who had previously abused them—Kanzi Dax. I am spending pretty much 100% of my duty shift seeing to the "needs” of our guests. Some of their concerns seem petty and trivial by Starfleet standards, and at times I feel more like a babysitter than an Operations officer. I am getting similar input from the beta and gamma shift Ops leads.

There was one incident that was quite alarming. Apparently, 15 of our guests formed a mob and attacked the ex-guard as she was exploring the station. She was injured and taken to sickbay for treatment. This was primarily a security and medical issue, but it effects Ops as well. Fourteen of the miners were restricted to quarters, so I had to rearrange their quarter assignments to assure they share rooms and are all located on the same wing. That way security can dispense just a few guards to watch them, where as it would have taken 14 separate guards before I moved them. In addition, I have had to reassign Kanzi's quarters to two of the miners. When she gets out of sickbay, I won't have a place to put her, unless I double her up with one of the senior officers. (I will most likely put her in my own quarters and sleep on the sofa.) This should only be for a week or two, until we can start returning our guests to their homes. Also, a miner by the name of Marcus Tham is in the brig for physically attacking one of the security officers during the mob incident. Security assures me that he wont be using his quarters for some time, so I have assigned his spot to one of the three-to-a-room miners.

Ops Log, Stardate 110409

With the exception of taking care of our mining guests, ops duties have been routine and unremarkable. There are fewer “incidents” or “complaints” from the miners now. Kanzi Dax (the mining guard who sought asylum with us) is being released from sickbay today. Since I am now a senior officer and have been issued private quarters, I am assigning Kanzi to share my quarters with me. It seems the best solution as 1) space is scarce and 2) it puts some separation between her and the miners.

Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

To: Cmdr Kinney Randt, CO SS Tranquility
Subject: Preliminary Report On Menlo Prime

Hello Commander. As per your request I have talked to Kanzi Dax, as well as researched the LCARS, and drawn data from the USS Hope's logs from its recent mission to Menlo Prime. I have complied the data into a report for you on the planet.

++++++

MenloPrime is a pre-warp class M planet, located approximately 1.117 light years from Tranquility Station. It's inhabitants look like earth-humans, and may in fact be decendents from humans abductions from old-earth England in the middle ages.

The technological development on Menlo Prime seems to be somewhat stunted, and is not advancing at what we would consider a "normal rate." Their cultural-sciological and religious values/practices very much resemble England during the 1300s, inlcuding a fuedal system, church system and such.

One of their villages was raided by space pritates in 2372, where four teenage girls and 6 teenage boys were abducted, never to be heard from again. The pirates were human-looking in form, and were assumed to be raiders from a far away land on Menlo Prime.

Additioal Note: The area that Kanzi is from (equivalent of old earth country) calls itself " Whales" and the village Kanzi was from has disbanned, but the nearest similar village (where her family relocated to) calls itself "Usk." They speak a dialect of Old Earth English.

Location data:
Located 1.117 Light years from Tranquility Station at a bearing of 271.204 mark 4.

Travel times:
Warp 4 - 96 hours (4 days)
Warp 5 - 46 hours ((just under 2 days)
Warp 6 - 25 hours (just over 1 day)
Warp 7 - 15 hours
Warp 8 - 9.5 hours
Warp 9 - 6.5 hours
Warp 9.5 - 5.3 hours
Warp 9.9 - 3.2 hours

Respectfully and in Service,
LTjg Tess Tison
Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

== Computer, begin recording. ==

Operations Log, Stardate 110513
LTjg Tess Tison recording.

I arrived the OpsDeck at 1700 (as OIC) to find that station in a state of ... er.. disarray. We were in red alert and in lockdown and the ops deck was abandoned. I raised Ens Czavicevic on the comms and asked for a report. She had been called to duty not long before, and was still trying to get a handle on the situation. In short, three bodies had been found in the transporter room and the appeared to have been murdered. And Captain Jo Massenberg was in the shuttlebay, wanting to depart and a bit ...er... unhappy... about being detained due to lockdown. Also it turned out that one of the new officers was a bit confused on station protocol and was getting in the security team's way as they tried to investigate the situation.

My first actions were to try and bring some order to the situation so that Ens Czavicevic would be freer to do her job. I called some members of the beta shift to the bridge to man routine activities and to assist however needed in a support role. Then I had a private talk with the officer in question and explained our protocols to this officer. I made it clear that for any crime scene, security was in charge. The officer agreed to cooperate with security. Finally, I headed to the shuttlebay and had a diplomatic chat with Captain Massenberg. I explained that security needed to question her (along with others who were visiting our Station). She agreed to talk to security, so I escorted her to the security deck and sat with her in the lounge until Ens Czavicevic arrived to question her. (The ensign later decided there was sufficient evidence and placed Captain Massenberg under arrest for murder.)

Then I returned to the OpsDeck and remained officer in charge until Commander Randt returned by shuttle to Tranquility at 1800. (Of course, I cleared him for landing despite the lockdown.) He came to OpsDeck and assumed command, then asked for a report. I gave him one and then he was called to sickbay, where the autopsy was taking place. He left me in charge of OpsDeck. I provided support to security and medical as they tried to unravel the murders. Also, at Cmdr Randt's command, I launched three runabouts to fly a tight grid search pattern to see if there were any additional spy satellites introduced into our immediate space. They searched for 12 hours but did not find anything.

Medical, science and ops worked together efficiently with security. Great progress was made, but the mystery of “why” was not solved, and we still don't know all of the details that led up to the event or that occurred immediately after it. Apparently the security cameras “malfunctioned” staring 10 minutes before the murder and lasting until 10 minutes after it. That was most likely some type of sabotage. So we still have questions to answer, and Tranquility remains at yellow alert and on lockdown.

Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Operations Directive, Stardate 110629

To All Operations Personnel. We have been hit by a series of explosions that have

1) taken out our external sensors in a manner that will take days to fix
2) destroyed the JAG deck and caused a hull breach
3) destroyed Cmdr Randt's quarters

In response to this, the following Operations Directives are in effect:

1) Operation personal are called to a rotating 8 hours on and 8 hours off shift to provide additional manpower to assist in the investigation.

2) Operation personal qualified to pilot the San Pedro shall report to the San Pedro, which shall be kept in flight 24x7 to provide external senors until such time as they are repaired. Pilot personnel shall alternate in 6 hour fight shifts and shall fly a tight orbit around the station.

3) Operation Personnel are to give top priority to Engineering for requests related to repairing the external sensors or closing the hull breech on the JAG deck. Equivalent top priority is also to be given to sickbay for any requests directly related to the saving of the life of a crew or guest injured in the explosions.

4) Operation Personnel are to give second highest priority to any requests from Security or Science in their investigation of the sabotage.

I believe these directives are clear and self-evident. But if any Operations Personnel have questions as to how this pertains to your individual duty (or to a given situation that may come up while you are on duty), do not hesitate to contact me and ask. I am available on a 24x7 basis until this situation is resolved.

Signed: LT Tess Tison, Chief of Operations
EvergreenMoss
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

=============================================
United Federation Starfleet
Mission: Revenge for Relos
=A= Operations After Action Report =A=
Lieutenant (jg) Evergreen Moss

Stardate: 16/03/06
Alert Status: Red

Log entry:

Power Management Report
At time index 09.36am, an explosion happened that burned out the lines between junctions 5 - 7a on Deck L5, habitat ring, where much of the damage was taken near to the Executive Officers quarters.
As soon as Red Alert was called out as due to a bomb explosion as stated by witnesses turned casualties, I rerouted the power in the habitat deck - L5 to allow emergency power to flow through auxiliary lines, where it was deemed safest letting Damage Control Personnel tend to the scene for investigation and then Crewmen Jackson had shut down power across those linked junctions to enable repairs to commence once given the all clear.

Communications Report
As soon as the Power Management personnel declared an explosion on Deck L5, habitat Quarters, the communications crewmen had an abundance of emergency communications to prioritize for all shift workers to be called to duty on Red Alert.
Damage Control were called to the stations and communications was given tasks which aided security and command by finding 12 hours worth of footage that we could find on Deck L5 as visual.
Communications were also tasked in roll call procedures and presenting those to Tranquility Command, to Captain Shran.
All roll call areas are being checked before presented to Command that all data of personnel is present and clear.

Quartermasters Report
On Red Alert, Damage Control officers were given Hazard Materials and Safe Handling equipment in allowing a full investigation to be completed without disruption to the crime scene.
A full inventory included Hazard Material contamination lock boxes with vials, non- contaminent bags. PPE, including light breathing apparatus, gloves and high visual protective suits.

Cargo Bay Report
Cargo Bays 10 to 14 are clear. Replacement equipment on order by the Quartermaster has seen one container now empty and engineering supplies in replacement hull parts emptying containers 1 to 5.
Chief Petty Officer Za’Brak, the Transporter Chief had advised he couldn’t beam a crate up to the kitchen on the Red Alert as Security covered the Transporter area forbidding the usage. The order presented by Petty Officer 1st Class Chef Chris Balison, is being split into lighter loads to manually carry to the kitchen.

Flight Control Report
At the point of Red Alert, all arrival and departure vessels were on hold with the aid of a security detachment in following the requirement in procedure in General Order Two.
Queues have been orderly through security procedures.
Emergency transports and diplomatic figures have been given priority and consented to dock first at Landing Pad 2 & 3 in order to transfer to a runabout escort to land at Pinastri Prime.

Conclusion:
As we had suffered a feedback loop during the explosion junction 5 to 7 are now running on limited power and will likely be restored fully by March 9th.The area is quarantined until order is released by Tranquility Command.
Note: All Emergency Damage Control Equipment requires its own separate manifest and is presented to the Leading Officer on Duty to distribute for quick and efficient deployment.
A replacement order for hazard equipment is being packed for station readiness.
After the diplomatic and emergency traffic has arrived to Pinastri Prime, other light craft will commence landing procedures. Pinastri Operations to be made aware of inbound traffic.

In Service
Lieutenant (jg) Evergreen Moss
Operations Officer
Tranquility Station

Return to “SS Tranquilty Mess Hall”