Kinney Randt
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer - USS Veracruz
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

To: Cmdr Kinney Randt, Commander SS Tranquility
Subject: Mission Report, Stardate 101201

I was “nervous” when I reported for duty, especially since there was a replicator malfunction that forced me to wear my cadet uniform to my first duty shift. I was half afraid the commander would throw me off of the Operations Deck for being “out of uniform,” but he was very understanding. Yes, I was nervous, but at the same time I was also very excited. This first duty shift was a fulfillment of a dream I've had for a very long time: to be a real Starfleet officer on a real Operations Deck!

I hoped it would be a routine and mundane shift; one that would give me an opportunity to learn my station quietly, without giving me opportunities to make a mistake. Unfortunately, I was not to get my wish--my first duty shift turned out to be anything but routine.

It started with Lt Lan Nakajima informing us that some data was missing from the computer core, specifically data involving an anomaly and Lt Nakajima's disappearance into that anomaly. That, in and of itself, was non-routine and a cause for concern. But it was only a small foretaste of what was to come.

Then the malfunctions began. First it was the alarm systems. We were suddenly on blue alert, a very serious medical alert. Fortunately, I had memorized the standard power allocations for that alert, so I reset the power allocations as recommended for blue alert, But this unexpected alert was kind of alarming, and I found myself wondering if I had just been exposed to some fatal biological contaminant. A few minutes later, the alarm switched to yellow, causing me to do a double take. About then, Lt Nakajima informed us that the system was malfunctioning, and that he was working on it. The alert system continued to switch from one alert state to another for the next many minutes.

As soon as we heard the word “malfunction,” both myself and Lt Cmdr Bret Darkwyr of security ran level three diagnostics on our own systems. Both of our systems reported “normal,” but we soon discovered that those diagnostic results were not trustworthy. In fact, it was only minutes later when the tactical system started to act up. It fired on its own, then it launched a torpedo. Fortunately the random shot did not hit any of the many ships in the vicinity and neither did the torpedo.

My communications console began lighting up like a Christmas tree. Each of the surrounding ships all wanted to know who (or what) we were shooting at and whether or not they should be on alert. The Cmdr told me to inform them that there had been a malfunction, and that there was no cause for alert. He also told me to instruct them to maintain a safe distance. I was still trying to answer those many hails when Commander Randt ordered me to close the shuttle bay doors. I complied immediately, then turned my attention back to communications.

Shortly after that, I noticed that the shuttle bay doors were opening and closing on their own. I closed them again and they reopened a few seconds later. I reported the problem to engineering and to the Commander, and I began to keep a close eye on the doors. The next time they opened, I immediately closed them. Then I cut the power to the doors, effectively locking them. I assumed that would fix the problem--but it did not. Somehow the power rerouted itself back to the shuttle bay doors, and they began opening and closing again. Once again I override the system, closed the doors and cut power. That was when I noticed that we had lost gravity systems on decks 1309 to 1341, and reported that problem to engineering as well.

About then the weapons system fired on its own again...two phaser blasts. This time it cut through the hull of a freighter who had apparently ignored our warning to keep at a safe distance. Within seconds the irate captain was hailing me and demanding to speak with the commander. I was about to inform him of this, when suddenly a visiting cadet was hailing the same captain and giving him landing instructions. I was completely taken back as I had not met this cadet, had not seen him come in, and did not understand why he was taking over my communications with the damaged ship. The captain of that ship did not understand it either, and demanded to know why a different person was suddenly trying to give him landing instructions. This was a bit of a big/confusing problem for me to handle on my first day on the job.

I wasn't sure what to do. I glanced over and saw a cadet sitting in the station to my left. I tried to make eye contact with him, but he ignored me. So I opened a private communication channel to the commander and asked him about the situation. The Cmdr informed me that the cadet was an uninvited guest. Then he ordered the cadet to vacate the station and to not to operate our equipment or interfere in the operation of our duties. I also noticed that Lt Cmdr Darkwyr had opened a private comm channel and assumed he was calling a security team to the Operations Deck. However the cadet immediately complied with the Cmdr's instruction and moved out of the way. I got too busy to watch and see what happened to the cadet after that.

I opened a channel for Cmdr Randt. He talked directly to the irate captain, apologizing for the mishap, offering to do repairs and to compensate him for any losses. The captain seemed to calm down and accepted the offer. It was a huge challenge to get his craft into the shuttle bay though. The damaged ship had lost its ability to maneuverer and needed a tow. Plus there was the additional challenge of the randomly opening/closing shuttle bay doors, which could do great damage if they closed on the docking ship. The commander ordered Lt Nakajima to take a runabout and tow the damaged craft into the shuttle bay. For the next several minutes I was very busy trying to keep the shuttle bay doors open for this operation. Again, they kept closing on their own. I monitored it manually and the instant they started to close I overrid it, reopening them before they had moved more than a meter. We finally got the damaged craft safely on board.

At that point, the commander ordered me to compensate the captain for his loss, but not to give away any vital Starfleet technology. I opened a private hail to the captain and negotiated a settlement, and then oversaw the transfer of those supplies to the shuttle bay to be loaded on the damaged craft as soon as the repairs were complete. The captain had also mentioned his fondness for Romulin Ale, so I obtained the Commander's permission, then had three bottles of it sent to the captain's guest quarters. I told him the Romulin Ale was a gesture of good will. The captain received the ale happily and stopped making threats about filing an official complaint. It couldn't have been twenty minutes later when he hailed me back to report he had finished all three bottles of Ale and to request more. I was amazed that he could consume that much of the very potent Ale so rapidly and remain conscious, much less coherent enough to request more. I had another 5 bottles of the substance sent to his quarters.

There was only one other incident on this duty shift, but it was a very sobering one. Cadet Firehawk, who had been assisting at the science station, suddenly collapsed unconscious over his station. He was taken to sickbay where the EMH was able to stabilize him. However, they reported that he was delusional and needed to be held for observation. We do not yet know what caused this incident and are awaiting a full report from medical.
Kinney Randt
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

To: Cmdr Kinney Randt, Commander SS Tranquility
Subject: Mission Report, Stardate 101208

The duty shift started out rather slow and uneventful. At some point the science officers we dispatched to the science deck to check on the egg from the demon class planet. About the same time, internal sensors for the containment area in the science deck began registering an increase of temperature. About that time, science reported that the egg had hatched. Commander Randy ordered the beta team to the Ops deck and the alpha team went to science to try and make first contact with the hatchling. I am pleased with myself that I thought to grab my tricorder before hopping in the turbolift, as it turned out I would need it.

When we arrived science, there were already several officer standing around, studying the cute little lizard-like creature that was standing in the containment field. I linked my tricorder to the internal sensors and noticed that the temperature had gone up a bit more than when we left the Ops Deck. It had increased a total of 2.5 degrees Celsius. The creature appeared to be studying us but it did not seem willing to interact with us. Cmdr Randt tried to communicate with it, but it gave no indication that it understood what he was saying. Our XO, LtCmdr Aryela Dagger, seemed to pick up some type of empathic link with it. I noticed a faint intermittent energy reading coming from the creature. The timing of the readings seemed to correspond with the LtCmdr's emphatic readings.

The creature seemed to charge the containment field as if it were challenging it, or possibly testing it. Cmdr Randt ordered me to make sure there was a sufficient power allocation to the field as engineering analyzed whether or not the field would hold. Fortunately the creature soon tired of testing the containment field.

Cmdr Randt was trying to reassure the creature and make it more comfortable. I thought about the increase in temperature from when it hatched combined with the egg came from a demon class planet, and suggested that perhaps it might be more comfortable if we were to raise the temperature inside of the containment field. Cmdr Randt decided that might serve as a gesture of good will and ordered it done. Engineering carried out the order. But the creature gave no visible (or observable) response to our efforts to make it more comfortable.

Somewhere in there, between LtCmdr Daggar's empathic readings and my faint energy readings, someone got the idea that perhaps the creature was communicating with someone. It clearly was not communicating with us... but what about the other of its own species on Athena station? Cmdr Randt ordered me to contact Athena and get a status on what their hatchling was doing. It appeared to behave very similar to ours, in that it had brainwave activity, emitted the low level energy readings and was unresponsive to them.

Then the Athena Ops officer and I began comparing the timestamps on our sensor logs (of the energy emissions from the creatures. There was a perfect correlation, which made us suspect that perhaps the creatures were in some type of telepathic communication or synchronization with each other. We continued to monitor it in real time and there was still a perfect synchronization. But at one point the creature stared directly at me as I monitored it and it “felt” like it was giving me a dirty look. Right after that, it seemed to shut down all of the faint energy readings and go to sleep. I am still trying to figure out if it just got tired and took a nap, or if it realized I was monitoring it's communication with the other creature and did not like that.
Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

== Computer, begin recording ==

Ops Log, Stardate 101213.1240
Ensign Tess Tison recording

We had a pleasant surprise today. The Tailsman has returned home. At 1230, we received an official hail from Captain Jayaram requesting permission to dock. As the Ops officer on duty, I officially granted permission and welcomed them home.

Cmdr Randt was not on the Ops deck at the time, but I know that he and Captain Jayaram are old friends. So I sent a bottle of our finest Angorian wine to Captain Jayaram on Cmdr Randt's behalf, to commemorate their homecoming.

== Computer, end recording ==
Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

==Computer, begin recording==

Ops Log, Stardate 101213, supplemental

Things were a bit slow on the duty shift today, so we started some good-natured teasing about our ... er .... reptilian guest. There were suggestions that it's skin would make a nice pair of shoes or boots, plasma-proof gloves or even a belt. But that teasing got me to thinking about the creature down in the science containment field. It has been our guest for a few days now, and so far all we've done is observe it and try to study it. No one has tried to feed the creature or .....er.... clean it's cage .... e.g., see if there is any Y-class equivalent of doo-doo to remove from the containment area.

I mentioned to the commander that perhaps we should try to feed the creature, and I began to speculate on what it might eat. Cmdr Randt agreed that it was a good idea to see to the creature's biological needs. I wanted to experiment with some plasma, to see if perhaps that might be like milk to it. But the commander decided we should not risk the creature's health with “foreign matter,” but should organize an Away Mission to a demon class planet. He said we should try to gather potential “food” from the planet where the egg was found, Pinastri I. Of course, it is a bit of a project to arrange that type of mission. I am in the process of procuring suitable heat resistant EVA suits for the away team, as well as arranging some type of container suitable for the type of samples we might bring back for it. Lt Nakajima has been tasked with preparing a shuttle craft to withstand the extreme temperature. Preparations are under way, and we hope to soon explore what the creature might eat and drink, so we can keep our guest alive and well.

The commander also gave me permission to “clean the cage” so to speak. I scanned the containment area and noticed some decaying energy emissions on the floor in one corner of the containment area. The creature seemed to be as far away from those emissions as possible. It reminded me of how a puppy soils one part of it's kennel cage and then goes an lays in the far corner away from it. I asked Lt Nakajima if it would be feasible to use a forcefield to split the containment area, then lower containment on the part the creature was not in to get access to clean that part. He said it was feasible and Cmdr Randt gave me permission to proceed. I opened a channel to engineering and science, and ordered a few technicians from both departments to met me on the science deck, where I explained the process to them and then supervised their efforts.

This gave me an opportunity to observe the creature. It was as unresponsive as ever, but seemed a bit restless. Also, it was visibly larger than before. I guess I should not have been surprised... I mean living creatures do grow... but this was is sure doing it rapidly. I would say it had increased in size by about 40%. It made me wonder how big this creature is going to get when it reaches it's adult size.

At any rate the “cleaning” of the containment area went without incident. After we released the dividing force field, the creature moved to the center of the containment field. It's actions seemed to support my theory that it had been avoiding the “soiled” area. I have set up a schedule of regular cleanings and will be passing our findings on to Athena, since they also have a ... er .. reptilian guest.

== Computer, end recording. ==
Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Ops Log, Stardate 101215

Today we took a “field trip” to Pinastri 1, the “Demon Class” planet where our egg was found. I guess the official Starfleet terminology for this is “Away Mission.” The purpose of this mission was to gather samples from the planet in hope of determining what the hatchling eats. Even though it is confined in a containment field on our science deck, it is technically our “guest” and we do have the obligation of feeding it so that it doesn't die on us.

This was my first away mission, my first time in a runabout and my first time wearing an EVA suit, so I guess you could say that there were a lot of “firsts” for me on this mission. Once we landed on the planet, Cmdr Randt gave us permission to spread out and take samples. I guess I am an explorer at heart and I immediately set out to explore. I wandered of to an unstable part of the planet. I walked on what I thought was solid land, to find myself sinking under the ground in what appeared to be melted rock. I reported that over the comms and the next thing I know, Lt Nakajima was at my side making sure I was OK. He asked me if I needed any assistance. I have to say that it felt really good to know that our crew/team watches out for each other. I have been on my own most of my life, and it was so nice having someone going out of their way to watch out for me. I really like being a part of the Tranquility family.... But I am digressing here...back to my mission report.

I was immersed up to my shoulders in some type of lava-like substance. Fortunately my EVA suit did it's job and I was not harmed. My tricorder had been encased in a heat-resistant field, and I had it in my hands when I entered the unstable area. I held it over my head and was able to continue taking readings. I also collected a sample of the ...er... molten rock. My tricorder showed that this one molten area actually composed of three very different types of elements, each in a different section of the pool.

I climbed out of the lava pool, put down my sample kit and tricorder, then went back in to collect samples of the other two substances. At one point I was immersed over my head, and even with the EVA suit, it was starting to get uncomfortably warm. I collected the sample with “haste” and then moved out of the pool. Then it occurred to me to make a positional recording of each sample, so that we could easily locate which ever ones we might need more of. So I took a positional reading and logged it to the sample.

Once I had my samples from the molten pool, I put them in my kit and continued to explore and gather samples. Quite frankly, my exploration was extremely fruitful. I was able to collect rock samples, some tiny pebbles that looked like sand, liquid and gaseous ones. I think I may have been paying too much attention to the sample taking and not enough to the rest of the landing party. The next thing I knew. Lt Nakajima came up to me in a land rover and told me to get in.

He started taking me back to our runabout, but received a call that LtCmdr Darkwyr had been injured. We picked up Cmdr Randt and proceeded to the LtCmdr's last reported position. We found him laying unconscious on the ground, with a slight crack in the faceguard portion of his helmet. Cmdr Randt ordered Lt Nakajima to take the LtCmdr back to the runabout where our Medical Intern, ensign Firehawk, was waiting to receive him. Then Cmdr Randt ordered me to accompany him, on foot, to examine an obelisk he had found.

I scanned the obelisk and discovered that it was comprised of materials not native to Pinastri I. It was emitting some type of signal, as if it were a beacon. It was obvious that someone had put it here and we speculated that it was somehow related to the egg. It wasn't clear to us whether this was a locater beacon to let someone know where the egg was, or if it was some type of beacon intended for the hatchling. My guess is the former, as it appeared to be transmitting deep into space. I also found what appeared to be some type of trans-dimensional object located behind the obelisk. It kept phasing from solid to translucent to “gone” and then back again. By this time, Lt Nakajima had rejoined us. We tried to put a containment field around it and take it back to the ship, but it kept phasing out of existence, and we just were not able to get a lock on it. We finally gave up on taking it as a sample. But I took thorough tricorder scans of it, to give to science for further analysis.

At that point, Cmdr Randt ordered us to return the the roundabout and depart back to Tranquility. When we arrived, we were all ordered to report to the medical deck for a checkup. LtCmdr was unable to walk and had to be transported. The rest of us joined him and the doctor there. Fortunately, they were able to patch the LtCmdr up and were told he would make a full recovery.

As soon as I was released from sickbay, I coordinated with science technicians to get a “sampler" set up from what we'd collected on the planet. The intent is to present the hatching with a smörgåsbord of the samples and see which ones it eats. Technicality this is a science project, not an operations one. But Cmdr Randt is allowing me to oversee the project because it had been my idea. I know it takes time for the technicians to set up and I know that they are competent at their job. All the same, I have to admit that I am a bit ancy to get this going—I don't want the creature to starve to death while we are trying to set up it's meal.

Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

== Computer, begin recording. ==

Ops Log, Stardate 101216

We have determined what the creature eats and drinks. Its preferred drink is Hydrofluoric acid (HF), which is a solution of hydrogen fluoride in water, and which appears naturally on Y Class planets. (HF is also readily available in many other places.) Its food of choice is Albite. which a plagioclase mineral that has silicate in it.

The science technicians informed me that they believe the hatchling is a silicon based life form. They also informed me that the creature needs to drink the HF in order to be able to digest the Albite. Apparently, hydrofluoric acid is the only acid that can dissolve quartz crystals like Albite, so the hatchling needs it to convert the Albite into nourishment.

The creature must have been really hungry, because when we provided the sampler, it gave up all pretense of appearing detached/aloof, and eagerly consumed it's .... er.....meal. We were able to produce more Hydrofluoric acid on Tranquility, and the creature consumed a surprisingly large quantity of it before it appeared satisfied. I guess it must have been very thirsty.

We are unable to replicate the Albite, and will need to send an Away team back to the planet to collect more food for our “guest.” I am informing to Cmdr Rasmuson at Athena, so they can feed their hatchling as well.

Recommendation to Cmdr Randt: dispatch a team of technicians to collect suitable quantities of Albite ASAP.

One final note: the hatchling appears to have grown visibly again shortly after consuming its meal. It is now about the size of five-year-old human chlld.

Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Ops Log, Stardate 101218

The commander wanted to take his repaired shuttle, the El Tajin, for a test flight. I volunteered to go with him, expecting a break and a fun ride. But we soon discovered an unidentified vessel hiding in the Oort cloud. The vessel was about 300 meters in length, had heavy body armor and it's armament consisted of medium and light grade disruptor canons. It had several different types of antenna and was emitting an unusual signal.It appeared to be a military grade ship. When it became aware of our presence, it raised shields but did not arm weapons. It did not respond to our hails.

It had been transmitting short burst data dense messages to a remote location. The messages were encrypted and I was unable to decrypt them with the primative El Tajin systems. The vessle scanned us and stopped transmitting for a bit. Then it sent one more message that I was able to fully intercept and decrypt. It was actually a copy of a communication between Cmdr Randt and Cmdr Jadia Triellis The vessel was clearly a spy ship of some type. But we could not determine who it was spying for or why.

At Cmdr Randt's request, Tranquility armed roundabout Thunder and dispatched it to assist us. A scrambled signal came in from some very remote location before the Thunder reached our position. I was unable to decrypt the message, but from the vessel's response, I can guess what it said. The spy vessel changed their warp system and jumped to warp. We were unable to pursue them in the ancient shuttle. At Cmdr Randt's order, I transmitted the data back to Starfleet for analysis as soon as we cleared the cloud.

Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Ops Log, Stardate 101220

Received a request from Athena medical on 101219. They are having difficulty procuring Albite and requested we supply some for them, so that they are able to feed their hatchling. I immediately passed the request on to Cmdr Randt, who is away from the Ops Deck on important station business. When I hadn't heard back from him by the start of my shift today, I consulted Cmdr Hoorenbeck, another Ops officer at the station, but one who has a great deal more experience in Operations than I do. We determined that it was of paramount importance to feed the Federation's hatchlng guests (and our supply of Albite is about to run out). We decided to go ahead and order a team of technicians (mostly enlisted science personnel) to Pinastri I to collect suitable quantity to meet the needs of both stations. I provided them with the coordinates of where I had taken the albite sample from, in order to make their task easier.

I dispatched orders for the away mission. Science Sr Technician Tu'pum, the team leader, has given me an ETA of 1400 tomorrow, stardate 101221. I am passing that information on to Athena and requesting they send a shuttle to receive their portion of the Albite.

Athena Medical had offered to supply us with Hydrofluoric Acid (HF) in exchange for the Albite. Apparently they are able to replicate it on their station, but in more limited quantities than we can. I studied their offer, and I have determined that it is actually less expensive for Starfleet if we replicate the HF we need ourself. The cost transporting the HF regularly from Athena far exceeds the cost of replicating it ourselves on Tranquility station. So have thanked them for their offer to supply HF, but have declined it.

Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Ops Log, Stardate 101222

We have finally gotten some responses from our previously unresponsive reptilian hatchling, but I am not sure if that is good news or bad news, as its response appeared hostile. But maybe I am reading them incorrectly... perhaps it is just frightened. Sometimes a frightened creature can appear aggressive/hostile. I am getting the distinct impression that it does not like me. But I am getting ahead of myself. Let me start at the beginning.

Shortly after I arrived to the Operations Deck to start my duty shift, Cmdr Randt called the beta shift to duty and ordered the alpha shift to accompany him to the science deck. He wanted to make another attempt to communicate with the creature. Cmdr Randt showed it images of the area where its egg had been found, but the creature remained unresponsive. Then he tried showing it images of the obelisk and playing the signal we recorded from it. At that point we detected the increase in brain waves and the emission of a low grade energy field. We saw the same thing the day it hatched and had determined that it was communicating telepathically with the hatchling on Athena. So I suspected it was once again talking to its counterpart on Athena and contacted them to verify my theory. Athena confirmed that their creature was having similar energy emissions. I might be reading into this, as it is extremely difficult to understand what this uncommunicative creature is thinking. But it seemed like our hatchling responded to information in the obelisk's signal by passing it on to Athena's hatchling.

I noticed that the energy emissions were stronger than last time, as if the creatures themselves were getting stronger. I suppose that is not a total surprise, since we are feeding them and they are growing and increasing in size. But it got me thinking and gave me an idea.. what if the energy emissions are not a byproduct of the communication process, but are actually some type of communication signal? I decided to treat it as one, and fed the energy recordings into the LCARS . I started running decrypting algorithms on them, but so far I have not seen any results. However, it can take days to decrypt some messages, so I am going to keep at it and see if I can find anything that might help us better understand our ...er.... reptilian guests.

I decided to try and speak comfortingly to it, similar to how I would talk to a frightened puppy. That approach also elicited a response, but not the one we had hoped for. It hurtled itself at the containment field, almost as if it was trying to attack me. Fortunately the field held.

We decided to try positive reinforcement in an attempt to get it to communicate. Our strategy is to reduce its food supply so that it feels hungry, then give it additional food when it does behaviors that move it towards communicating with us. For example, we tried to positively reinforce it when it glanced at the view screen that the commander was using to show it images. Unfortunately, the creature wasn't sufficiently hungry (yet) for the reinforcement to have the desired effect. It picked up the piece of food and threw it at me. Of course the containment field kept the food from hitting me, but I still jumped back reflexively. Yes, we got a response from the creature--it was not the response we wanted, but at least it was a response. That is a start.

Both the Cmdr and I tired to comfort it again, and it responded by growling at us. Well, it started out sounding like a growl but sort of turned into a “roar.” One thing was clear though... did not like us talking to it in a soothing manner.

At that point, Cmdr Randt decided that it was time to try a more personal and direct contact. He decided to project a holographic image of himself directly into the containment field. His intent was to comfort the creature and get some type of communication established, but his holographic presence seemed to have the opposite effect. The creature appeared to be annoyed. It was at that moment that I happened to notice that the temperature in the containment area had gone up slightly: one quarter of a degree Celsius. It seemed as if the creature's body temperature had changed when it was agitated. I mentioned to the commander and wanted to explore it further--but something happened that kept us from pursuing my theory.

The creature turned and looked... not at the hologram, but in the direction of where the holodeck was. It stared in that direction intensely for a couple of minutes and emitted a medium grade energy reading. At that point, the Commander collapsed to the holodeck floor. As soon as he collapsed, the creature stopped looking in that direction and stopped emitting the energy reading. Then it laid down and took a nap.

I immediately ordered a medical detail to the holodeck. LtCmdr Darkwyr ordered a security detachment there and also went there himself. I remained in the science deck to monitor and observe the creature. But it seemed “done” for the moment and all it wanted to do was sleep.

Medical reports that Cmdr Randt will survive, but his injuries were severe enough that he will need time to recover. The doctor estimates it will be a week before he can return to duty. I am relieved that the commander will recover, but I am alarmed that the creature was able to attack him through the containment field. I plan to consult with security and engineering to see if there is anything we can do to prevent future attacks.

Oh one last side note: I spoke to Lt Nakajima of engineering and asked him to please rig up something that will let me monitor minor variations in the creatures body temperature more closely, and at the same time make a visual recording of its activities and behaviors. It is sort of like bio-monitoring from old-earth biofeedback techniques. Perhaps we can find a correlation between changes in it's body temperature and certain emotions/actions. It might help us to better understand and communicate with the creature. Lt Nakajima said that he could modify the internal sensors in the containment area, and connect that area to the local sensor grid in a dedicated manner. He is working on that now and will hopefully have it set up soon.

Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Ops Log, Stardate 110106

An emergency call came in from Captain Jayaram at 1020 asking for an emergency lock down of Tranquility station because a fugitive named 'the Toymaker' had escaped pursuit and was thought to be hiding on Tranquility station.

Captain Jayaram requested beamup to the Ops Deck before the lock down was implemented. I beamed him up as requested, and was in the process of locking the station down when security crewman Chrissie Forsythe also requested beamup. Captain Jayaram asked me to beam her up before completing the lock down. I did as he requested, but had some difficulty getting a lock on her, and it took several minutes to transport her to the Ops deck.

As soon as Crewman Forsythe was on the Ops Deck, I completed the lock down, which consisted of putting the station in red alert, locking down all transporters and turbolifts, closing the shuttle bay doors, and having all personnel report to their duty stations.

As soon as the lock down was complete, I implemented bypass codes for Captain Jayaram and Crewman Forsythe, so they could move freely around the station during the red alert. However, as it turned out, Captain Jayaram commanded the pursuit from the Ops Deck and did not leave it until after the lock down was canceled.

Security soon reported that the toymaker was stunned and down, and medical was dispatched to the scene. Crewman Forsythe was also called to the scene. There was some confusion over the incident. Apparently the toyman had been a holographic projection, the phaser went through him and stunned a crewman that was behind him. Apparently medical's tricorder had picked up readings from the stunned crewman. The end result was that the suspect was not taken into custody. Lock down continued for a while, as security searched for the suspect. It turned out the suspect had never actually been on Tranquility station and was sighted elsewhere.

At 1102, Cmdr Marie Lawson of Starfleet command ordered that lock down on all stations and facilities be released. I released lock down as ordered and returned Tranquility station to condition green.

Kinney Randt
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

To: Cmdr Kinney Randt, CO, SS Tranquility
CC: LtCmdr Jackson Jayaram, CO, USS Tailsman

Stardate: 110112
Mission Name: Intruder Alert, part 1

The shift began routinely enough. Since the Tailsman was still docked with us, we had a distinguished visitor on the OpsDeck: Captain Jayaram and some of his senior staff. Of course we wanted to shine our best in hopes of impressing our visitors. Unfortunately, we started experiencing what appeared to be some embarrassing computer malfunctions. First the forcefields in the brigs were deactivated, and then the computer initiated lockdown procedures on 30 decks. Next the computer gave a waring about Romulan Warbirds approaching in attack mode. The Tailsman checked there sensors, but was unable to detect any Romulan ships. I opened a comm link to engineering and asked them to look at the computer; but even with their efforts, things continued to degrade from there. As an added complexity, the computer put OpsDeck in lockdown, making it harder for us to check the station status.

LtCmdr Darkwyr, our chief of security, was able to shut down the security protocols and override them in manual mode. He dispatched security teams to check the base and to sweep all decks. Meanwhile the engineer from the Tailsman expressed concern that their computer systems could become “infected” by whatever was effecting the Tranquility computer, and he wanted to isolate the Tailsman computer from ours. So we began unlinking procedures to remove all datalinks between the two systems.

Somewhere in the midst of doing this, I overheard the Romeo Security Team leader report that sickbay had been attacked, that the CMO had been killed, and that there were several injuries. I was shocked and dismayed by this news, but I did not have time to dwell on it. I was immediately busy on the comms, dispatching medical personnel from other parts of the station to sickbay. There was some discussion about an uninvited saboteur and Cmdr Randt reported this to commander Triellis of Starfleet Operations. Cmdr Randt ordered a complete lockdown of Tranquility station, which kept me too busy to pay attention to all that was going on and what was being said.

When I got the lockdown taken care of and began to focus on the conversation again, I discovered that the intruders had stolen some Bio-memetic gel. A shutter ran through my spine as I pondered the horrible things a terrorist could do with that substance. It was obvious that recovering that gel had to be a top priority. Cmdr Randt reported the thief to Cmdr Triellis, who in turn ordered him to hop on a shuttle and come report immediately to her on how this incident could have happened. LtCmdr Meredith, the Tailsman XO, requested permission to accompany Cmdr Randt. That permission was granted.

At any rate, this left me with two jobs to perform. I had to set up security overrides for Cmdr Randt and LtCmdr Meredith, so that they could move freely around the station to get to the shuttlebay and launch. In addition to that, I assisted our science officer, Ensign Lacourte, in scanning the system for the Bio-mementic gel. That scanning effort turned out to be an exercise in futility, as the gel appeared to be hopping all over the station. Ens Lacourte assumed her station had been sabotaged and moved to a different one. She continued to set the same random readings on the new station, and I got them my ops station. Her theory was that all of the stations on the OpsDeck had been sabotaged, but my theory was that the intruders were using some type of device to conceal or mask the location by generating false readings at random locations on the ship.

As if all that was not enough to deal with, there was this annoying shuttle pilot who kept hailing me, requesting permission to land. I explained the station was in lockdown and we could not open the shuttlebay doors to admit him. He would not take no for an answer and continued to request permission to land over and over. Finally our XO, LtCmdr Daggar, took the hail and redirected him to Alexandria. Even after that he persisted for a while--so she ordered me to ignore his hails and to focus on internal scans to find the intruders and gel pack.

A security team reported that they had found the intruders. They tried to subdue them, but the intruders somehow managed to allude them and escape. Despite the lockdown, the intruders made their way to the shuttlebay. I figure that they had to be using some sort of very sophisticated device in order to do that...I would love to get my hands on that device and take a look at it. But I am digressing....

The intruders stole a shuttle and blasted through the shuttlebay doors. Cmdr Howley of engineering ordered me to seal the rupture they caused with a forcefield. But the shuttle was already away. Cmdr Randt and LtCmdr Meredith had departed on the El Tajan, merely moments before the shuttle escaped. So, they diverted and gave chase to the fleeing shuttle. At that point, Captain Jayaram ordered the Tailsman to join in the pursuit. We performed the undocking procedure as fast as possible and then the sped on their way.

I got so busy with my ops duties that I barely paid attention to what was going on around me. Suddenly I was almost knocked out of my seat as the who station shook and jarred. Apparently the fleeing shuttle had opened a rift in space, and the shock wave from that rift shook the entire station. I immediately checked the emergency systems and discovered that we had not sustained much by way of damage. I later learned that other stations in the area were not as lucky and were heavily damaged. I guess our proximity to the rift put us in the “eye of the storm,” so to speak, and we sustained almost no damage from the shock wave.

Unfortunately, the El Tajin shuttle carrying Cmdr Randt and LtCmdr Meredith was pulled into the rift. LtCmdr Daggar ordered me to use a tractor beam to attempt to keep the El Tajon from being sucked into the rift. Unfortunately, the lock would not hold, and their shuttle disappeared into the rift just before it closed.

I cannot begin to express my shock and dismay over the loss of my CO, Cmdr Randt. But there is a good chance that he and LtCmdr Meredith survived their journey into the rift. Captain Jayaram is going to take the Tailsman and try to pursue them. He has invited LtCmdr Daggar to select a team to accompany him on this rescue mission. I am hoping and praying that she will select me as a member of that team, because I want to do whatever I can to help get my commander back!
Kinney Randt
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

To: Cmdr Kinney Randt, CO, SS Tranquility
CC: LtCmdr Jackson Jayaram, CO, USS Tailsman

Stardate: 110113
Mission Name: Intruder Alert, part 2

LtCmdr Daggar selected a team of 4 (herself and three others) to accompany her to the Tailsman. I count myself fortunate to have been a part of that team. When we arrived the Tailsman, Captain Jayaram ordered me to take ops and to route helm controls through ops. That, in effect, mean that I got to fly the starship—and you have no idea how excited I was about that.

I was ordered to set a course for the last location of the rift and to engage at ¾ impulse. When we arrived the spot, engineering launched some type of modified torpedo to open the rift and I was ordered to “take her in.” The ride was very shaky, due to shockwaves coming from the explosion of the torpedo. And I was surprised at how difficult it was to hold her steady. But we made it in.

Once we arrived,I was ordered to plot and pilot a systematic search grid, which science and tactical scanned for an ion trail (or anything else) to give us an indication of where the shuttle had gone. There was minor damage to the ship from the shaky crossing into the rift, so engineering worked on that while we searched for the El Tajin. I also kept an eye on the internal sensors, and that was how I noticed that the readings on the deflector arrays were fluctuating and were about to go out of normal tolerance. I asked engineering to please take a look at it and continued flying the search grid pattern. You would thing flying a simple search grid pattern would be easy (boring even) but that was not the case. There were minor space eddies that kept trying to get us to drift of course to the port side, and I had to constantly use the thrusters to make small course corrections to keep us precisely on the grid.

Science located a power signature that we hoped would be the El Tajin. They fed the coordinates to the nav computer, and the captain ordered me to proceed to that course at full impulse. As we approached, it became clear that this was some other ship and not our shuttle.

The captain decided to talk to them and asked me to open a channel. I did the standard hail, and the ship responded, but not in the way we hoped. Their response was basically along the lines of “Leave now or we will damage you.” The captain began with a diplomatic approach, but it was not well received. Communication was lost and the captain had tactical prepare a firing solution while he continued to attempt a diplomatic one. He asked me to get a communication link open again....but it was not as easy as you might expect because the other ship was not interested it talking to us and would not respond to our hail. I finally got communications reestablished. Then we discovered we were talking to the Vaadwaur. I was unfamiliar with that species, but apparently they are not one that you negotiate with.

At that point, Captain Jayaram ordered me to fly evasive maneuver Omega three-one-three and had tactical begin to implement their “firing solution.” The goal was not to destroy the ship but to disable their shields so we could beam our people out. Science did their best to scan the ship as tactical continued attempts to disable their shields. Finally the shields went down, science found them and fed me coordinates and I was able to beam them directly to sickbay. Then science pulled a miracle out of their hip pocket and were able to locate the bio gel as well. On the captain's orders, I cleared cargobay 4, beamed the gel over and sealed it.

I was then ordered to set course back to the location of the rupture at full impulse. When we arrived, the rift had sealed. We used another torpedo to open it and returned home to Tranquility.
Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Ops Log, Stardate 110130

Technically this is not even my duty shift, but it has already been a very busy day. I am on the Alpha shift but could not sleep, so I decided to swing by the OpDeck at 0200 and check on the status of the hatching. I did not want to disturb the Gamma Shift ops officer, so I slipped into the secondary ops station and began to check the sensor logs on the hatchling.

The Gamma shift Ops officer informed me that there was a somewhat urgent personal communication from commander Jim Foxley, a science officer aboard the USS Menelaus. That was a bit unusual in that they are Third Fleet, headquartered by the USS Athena. I immediately tried to reach him by subspace communication, but was informed he was unavailable. However, shortly after that, I received a subspace message from LtCmdr Sahheni Kanto, another Science Officer aboard the USS Menelaus. She requested an immediate meeting by holographic projection, to discuss what I knew about the Sorizar hatchling. Apparently the Menelaus is starting to have some dealings with this species. They requested information from Athena (the control base for the 3rd fleet) and Athena referred them to me because I have been working with the hatchling so much and have somehow become considered a "resident expert" on it.

So I reported to the holodeck and met with the holographic projection of LtCmdr Kanto. I updated her on pretty much everything I know about the species and gave her a copy of all of the External Communication logs between Tranquility and Athena, as well as a copy of all existing reports on the Sorizar hatchling.

As that meeting was winding down, I received a request from a visiting science officer for a tour of our science and astrometric decks. I returned to the OpDeck, and beamed Ensign Charles Swallowtail there. I showed him the science stations on the OpDeck, the Science Deck, the Astrometric Deck and answered his questions about Tranquility station. It turns out that his speciality is Astrophysics, so I left him to enjoy himself in the Astrometric lab.

I returned to the OpDeck to record this log entry. It turns out that I have just worked almost 3.5 hours, and it is not even my duty shift. I am going to sneak off of the OpDeck before any more extra work comes along....

** Computer end recording **
Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

((NOTE: We are in an alternate time line this week. We are preparing for an incoming Klingon attack and ran a battle simulation to prepare ourselves for the real attack. The approaching Klingon fleet is expected to arrive in 2 days.))

Ops Log, Stardate 110210.0430

We had a computer-run battle simulation in preparation for the anticipated near-future Klingon attack. One of the things that came out during that drill is that there are some dialects of Klingon that are not yet in the universal translator. I have assigned Ensigns Thax and Thor of the gamma shift with the job of loading as much as they can into the universal translator to try and cover the unknown Klingon dialects. There are a lot of them, but they mostly fall into three primary grammatic structures, and many of them use the same root words with different tense suffixes and different pronunciations. Given that information, it should be possible for them to update the universal translator to have a much better chance of handling whatever dialects we encounter. They expect to complete the task by the end of their duty shift.

It should also be noted that during my 020109 duty shift, I suggested we try to conceal a data uplink in a communications signal to carry computer virus to the Klingons Comm Computers. Commander Randt ordered me to implement the plan. Of course, the virus would need to have a short delay so that it had time to work its way through the Klingons inter-ship communication network and infect all of their vessels. I searched our LCARS data files and was able to find a virus that was used effectively against two Klingon battle cruisers a mere 5 years ago. Both of those ships had been jammed before the virus was introduced, and both were destroyed completely. Therefore it is unlikely that the Klingons have any knowledge of this particular virus or any defense against it. Of course, I added a couple of enhancements of my own, which I believe will cover any modernizations of their computer technology. If all goes to plan, the virus will sleep for 5 minutes as it works it's way through their fleet, and then will disable all power systems (including their warp core and peripheral power systems), then scramble the command codes and shut down all of their computers. That should pretty much disable their weapons, shields, impulse engines and thrusters—rendering them as sitting ducks. The question at hand is whether or not we will be able to destroy all of their vessels before they figure out a way around that virus and restore their systems?

Of course, there are unknowns. They could have made technology changes that we are unaware of that nullify the effects of our virus. But I am crossing m fingers and hoping that is not the case.

Also, I have asked Petty Officer First Class Rohan Thelson to take a look at my virus software. He is even more of a software expert than I am. He is normally Alpha Shift, but seeing as how it is 4:30 AM (Gamma Shift) and we don't have much time to prepare for the attack, I have pulled him off of Alpha Shift and tasked him to work on this until he gets it done.

Maybe I am getting a bit ... er ... batty because I have been on duty for close to 24 hours now, myself. But I can't help but noticing that all of the Operations personnel mentioned in my report (including myself) --- our last names all start with the letter “T”. Kind of a strange coincidence, don't you think? And funny how the mind notices that type of thing under times of extreme duress.

At any rate, my regular duty shift starts in 3.5 hours. I better try to get some sleep or I will be completely useless.

Tess Tison
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Ops Log, Stardate 110210.1530

Participated with Athena station in testing their newly installed communications array. The test consisted first of Tranquility downloading the entire LCARS database on defiant class starships to them and then receiving an upload from Athena back to us. They reported a 48% increase in their data transfer rate and their test was quite successful.

Side note: among the data Athena uploaded to us was Tolstoy's War and Peace. It is a rather humorous/ironic selection considering the pending attack from the Klingon fleet. (See previous log entry recorded at 0430 today for more details.)

Return to “SS Tranquilty Mess Hall”