Duty Post: Commanding Officer - USS Veracruz
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

---------------------------------------------------------
UNITED FEDERATION STARFLEET SCIENCE BRANCH
                            Experiment Report

Dr. Matthew Finch, PHd.

After running the standard preliminary scans of the 'egg' we were presented, we could identify both
it's origin and estimate it's date of placement.
Our tests concluded that the 'egg' no only was found on the Y-Class planet 'Pinastri I' but there was
also a strong chance, although not definate, that it may have originated there.
Further tests concluded that the 'egg' had been in that location for approximately 2000 years.

After recieving this information, I advised the Commander present that it may be an idea to
co-ordinate with the Pathfinder Research Facility in locatiing any fosilised remains during
archaelogical investigation of the area.

After reading some brief notes from the science teams condicting experiments on a similar egg
at PRF, I decided to run a scan of the 'egg' using gamma rays. The results of this, although not
clear, gave us a rough picture of a reptilian creature inside the egg.

The presence of a creature inside the egg answers the question we had regarding a previous experiment
i had conducted, which indicated the temperature within the  shell remained at a constant 4.6 degrees
above the temperature of the shell itself.

Agreeing that any further intrusive scans may harm the creature inside, we agreed to cease any further
probing of the interior of the egg at this time.

Stardate: 101028
Mission Report - Retrieved Egg
Science Department
Lt. Jae Nye

Computer begin recording:

We have completed several scans on the egg brought back from planet Pinastri I by the Marine Aerospace Unit. The Unit was sent to explore the area surrounding the surface of the Demon class planets on the suspicion that an egg too could be there. After the egg was found they retrieved it and brought it to us.  I was assigned to the team with Dr. Matt Finch and Lt Marissa King. We started scanning the egg and began several tests to get to the bottom of what was inside it. Like Athena we had several problems with penetrating to the interior of the egg, whenever we did it was a hazy picture and we had to guess as to what actually was inside, though we suspect it's reptilian in nature.

The size of the egg also makes me suspect that the size could be larger than the typical gecko or iguana however as to the exact size I'm hoping that Pathfinder can look into and corroborate or further delve into some of the sizing issues.

The shell was largely impervious due to a shield around it that for lack of a better word protects whatever is inside. Whatever species this egg comes from clearly they are a very unique one that we've not encountered thus far in our Delta Quadrant explorations. Needless to say I want to figure out what this is, how it got upon a demon class planet, and what species it belongs to.  I really don't like not knowing.

Computer end recording:

Jae Nye, Out!

To: Commander Kinney Randt

I met and worked with Doctor Finch and Science officer Jae Nye, along with COmmander Kinney Randt,  trying to find more about the egg from Pinastri I

Isotope scans revealed basic information but also a few traces that could not be crossmatched with anything from Pinstri I.

It was noted that the inside temperature was higher than that of the shell itself  so further independent gamma scans done by Doctor Finch revealed a curled up reptilian type creature in the egg.

The outer layer of the egg is covered by irregularly spaced circular nodes Scans of the eggshell revealed composition to be composed of calcium carbonate in calcite form,  inorganic ions, with calcium and magnesium being present in detectable quantities, Calcium carbonate crystals are also present aside from the calcite and oddly enough it seems to contain some radionuclides. Ferrous material was also noted, Potassium Ferride to be more precise.

Isotope decay was the same rate as the isotopes on Pinastri I

Age of the egg was estimated to be around 2000 years old however due to not wishing to damage the egg, further tests have been put on hold in that respect.

Lt. Marissa King

Kinney Randt
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

Stardate 101103

To: CDR Kinney Randt, Tranquility

Reporting as requested on results of further testing:

CSO Jordan Allen and Ensign AthenaDax Zoon from the PFR station, joined CDR Kinney Randt and myself in the Science Lab at 17:40. on 101103.

It was determined to try a neural scan with a tricorder to assist in analyzing the reptilian form inside the egg. CSO Allen attempted normal readings, which caused a slight increase in the internal temperature of the egg, however the outside temperature in stasis did not fluctuate. Ensign Zoon suggested lowering the frequency. with a larger wavelength.

At this lower frequency, there appeared to be a reactionary "twitch" of the eyelid. We tried changing the frequency from normal to a lower setting again, recording the reaction. This time there was a definite "blink" from the reptilian form.

We transferred the data to the medical lab, where further diagnosis determined the pupil was not slitted as seen in most reptiles, and although not perfectly round, was rounder than most reptile eyes.

After further discussion, it was agreed that attempts to extract DNA from the sac surrounding the reptile would be attempted at a later date.
Last edited by Kinney Randt on 101103.1904, edited 1 time in total.
Kinney Randt
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

From Lt Commander Garethya Mongrain

*******101117 16:56**************

CMDR Randt, Lt Lan Nakajima and I met in OPS.

Discussion on the species of the reptilian entity of the egg indndicated a possibility that it was a proto-Gorn species. Although I am unfamiliar with this type of species, I cannot rule it out. CMDR Randt requested scans to determine if the egg was hibernating or if it had a lengthy incubation period. Running the scans were inconculsive.
Dr. Draco Burner joined us, and we moved to the Science Lab to observe the egg. Dr Burner advised that they had a similar egg on the Alexandria which he said, could "take over your mind" and urgently requested that a force field be place over the egg. I narrowed the scan to brain activity and could not pick up any abnormal readings. CMDR Randt advised that the egg we were observing was over 9000 years old, where the one on the Alexandria was only about 300 years old.
Further scans confirmed that the egg was back in "hibernation" for the moment.
Further discussion on how to safely extract fluid from the sac resulted in delaying the procedure until we analyse the results of the damaged egg that the Athena Station has, and CMDR Randt will obtain those findings before further probes of the egg in our possession was initiated.

Suggestion: Given the observance of Dr. Burner, it might be prudent to heed his suggestion, although as a Scientist,I feel  it will definitely hamper our investigation.
LoLeCo Lacourte
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

To: Commander Kinney Randt - SS Tranquility
cc: Lt. Commander Garethya Mongrain
From - Lieutenant Jg. LoleCo Lacourte
Department: Science
Research : Hatchling Physiology
Stardate: 110227

Subject: Relevant research on Reptilian Hatchling

I took the opportunity to review all of the available information on the reptilian hatchling. Ensign Tess Tison was more than hepful in assisting me with gathering this information. Based on the findings of previous research on the hatchlings, I noted that it has been concluded that it eats albite and drinks hydroflouric acid. This prompted me to do some further reseach into the hatchlings physiological make-up, specifically the digestive and respiratory systems. Findings are as follows:

The creatures stomach serves a two fold purpose. First to protect it in the presence of oxygen in the atmosphere. Second to provide digestion for the creatures nourishment.

A gland that is attached to the stomach, produces a milky colloid which is polyisoprene based. This substance is continually released into the stomach of the creature during times when the stomach is empty. The substance adheres to the stomach walls forming a lining of the stomach. This lining protects the creatures stomach when it drinks the hydrofluoric acid which it uses to digests or breakdown the albite.

As the creatures breathes oxygen, it reacts with the silicon in the creatures body, producing a sand like substance. Instead of attempting to expel this substance, which would in fact cause the creature to eventually choke on its own respiratory by-product, this sand like substance is diverted to the stomach where it is stored until dissolved by the hydrofluoric acid that the creature drinks.

A second gland attached to the stomach produces ammonia from atmospheric nitrogen using nitrogenases. As soon as any albite and sand is dissolved , a reaction is triggered that causes this gland to release its contents into the stomach, affectively neutralizing the digested material for transport and absorption as nutrition throughout the body. At the same time , this neutralization process protects its own body from harm by the hydrofluoric acid.

Several silicon based creatures have had some minimal research done including , but not limited to the Mynock, the Erogoth and the Horta. It has been theorized in the past that any silicon based creature, through oxidation, would choke or suffocate on its own respiratory by-product, however research has revealed that this specific creature has in fact somehow evolved to enable it to survive in the presence of a certain level of oxygen content. This also seems to have been the case with the Horta, although having this particular species at Tranquility has enabled us to do much more in depth research than on any done before.

Past and present hypothesis exists that silicon based creatures could very well survive on an M class planet if in fact they lived in tunnels of a sort , deep inside such a planet near its core where the climate was more ideal for their survival. It would stand to reason that as all things evolve, this creature could as well, explaining for its adaptation to some level of oxygen in the atmosphere. It can be hypothesized that if such a creature were living on an M class planet deep within its crust and some type of ecological or other event caused it to venture slowly, over time and generations, closer and even out into such an atmosphere, that it would in fact evolve and adapt. This, however, bears more research but it would account for this particular species (as well as the Hortas) ability to compensate for some level of oxygen.

We will be conducting further research on the hatchling due to some security concerns.

Lieutenant Jg. LoLeCo Lacourte
Science Officer - SS Tranquility
Stardate 110227
LoLeCo Lacourte
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

To: Commander Kinney Randt - SS Tranquility
cc: Lt. Commander Garethya Mongrain
From - Lieutenant Jg. LoleCo Lacourte
Department: Science
Research : Hatchling Safety Concerns
Stardate: 110227

Subject: Hatchling Safety Concerns

From results of prior research, the following conclusions have been made. It should be noted that they are just theoretical at this point and we will be doing some computer generated tests on the holodeck, with all available known information programmed into the data base to help confirm these theories. This study will be necessary since the hatchling has already shown an ability to some extent to use some type of mind projection that has been deemed dangerous to the human mind and perhaps many species as well. Preliminary conclusions are as follows:

1.) Although this species can compensate for a certain level of oxygen, it cannot compensate adequately for levels higher than around 21 percent. In theory, as this has not been tested, as the oxygen level is increased, the creatures ability to divert and eliminate its own sand by product during oxidation, decreases. In essence, it would slowly begin to lose its ability to breathe depending on the level of oxygen. Estimates indicate that at 25 percent, the first signs of this would show in the form of disorientation and mild loss of muscle control, at 26%, anoxia would become apparent. Between 26 and 52% the breathing and muscular co-ordination would become very impaired. Above 52% and below 74%, psychological disturbances, abnormal fatigue upon exertion and difficulty eliminating sufficient amounts of sand would become evident while, between 74 and 90% the creature will experience an inability to move freely and loss of consciousness. Greater than 90 percent will bring convulsive movements and suffocation from its own by product, breathing will stop, and a few minutes later life will cease

2.) Tess Tison also mentioned that she had devised a way of determining signs of hostility by measuring slight changes in body temperature. This would in fact correlate some initial findings during the egg research. Initially the temperature inside the egg increased slightly when a frequency increase occurred during scans, suggesting agitation. So I would concur that that temperature changes are a sign of some type of physiological and psychological change with this creature. As this hatchling nears maturity, it will more than likely begin to feed off of any energy directed it.. so traditional weapons will have little or no effect if it ever becomes necessary to defend oneself against it. It is also a concern that as it matures it may begin to absorb energy from the force fields on place and feed off of them.. in which case they will no longer be able to contain it.

3.) Based on these theories, a method of controlling the hatchling, that might be more effective, would be based on one of two things. Oxygen levels or frequencies of some sort, but this needs further study. No research that has been done or will be done that will involve anything that might in any way harm the hatchling. No tests, other than computer based simulations based on what we have learned about the hatchlings, will be run without prior authorization.

Lieutenant Jg. LoLeCo Lacourte
Science Officer - SS Tranquility
Stardate 110227
Garethya Mongrain
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

=============================================
United Federation Starfleet
SS Tranquility
SS001
=A= Science Log =A=

Stardate: 110320

Log entry:

After a reported sighting of the being known as "the Toymaker" who reportedly said that there were several objects, or "toys" being left around the area, although the devices were not bombs per se. Instead, upon moving them, they released a plume of coloured paper and string. SS Tranquility security found two of these objects, and confiscated them. They were then sent to the science department for analysis of two bloody thumbprints (one on each) for identification.

Individual Reports:

Blood Analysis-

Sample #1 (From Ops)- The dummy bomb casing found on the operations deck contained a bloody thumb print. Analysis of the blood showed conclusively that the blood belonged to Lieutenant David Greene.

Sample #2 (From Comms deck)- The bloody thumb print sample taken from the other false bomb casing found on the Communications deck also had a conclusive result, that of Lieutenant Junior Grade Lock Simean.

Conclusion:

Neither sample gathered was from the creator of the bombs. However, their design bares an extreme resemblence to the other bombs that have been left around recently in other areas.

In Service
Ens. Scottybrit "Skot Brit" Resident
Kinney Randt
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

SS Tranquility
SS 001
=A= Science log =A=

Stardate: 110417

Log entry:

I was called to ops at 13:39 by Ensign Jamie Czavicevic for an emergency. Apparently a Captain Jo had disappeared with Lt. Kazia Ravenheart. A scan of the station revealed that she was no longer aboard, nor was he, and was out of range of the sensors. However, external scans showed a warp trail. Its signature was consistent with that of a Klingon Bird of Prey.

Dr. Highwater also gave En. Czavicevic a hypospray as treatment for her headache she was having.

At some point, En. Czavicevic left to assist En. Siobhan Crystal with the prisoner transport in Security. She was successfully boarded onto the USS Magwich.

In Service
Ensign Scottybrit "Skot Brit" Resident
Science Officer, SS Tranquility
ScottyBrit Resident
Science - Fleet Captain
Science - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: Chief Science Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Veracruz
Grid: Second Life

USS Hope
NCC-73111
=A= Mission Log from Science =A=

Stardate: 110508

Log entry:

Lieutenant (and Doctor) Hermione Highwater, and Ensigns Jamie Czavicevic, Sin Idyll, Siobhan Crystal, and myself boarded the USS Hope. We beamed down at the spot we had before, still void of lifesigns, and headed down towards the villiage of Usk. Once there, we spread out and several of my crewmates paired together. Again, we were looking for information, this time focusing our attentions on finding out the location and/or identity of the so-called bandits. Well, I say we, but really first I had the pressing matter of checking on the progress of the duck blind's construction.

I notified everyone that I was headed towards the duck blind to see how the engineering crew was coming along. Pleased to say that the crew has finished it, and it looks fantastic, in that it doesn't "look" at all. It is situated at a point west of the town, on a waterfall. One benefit of building it on a waterfall, is that he roar from the rushing water covers any unforseen sounds that might occur during construction. One down side to this is that a few of the engineering crew complained that the sound of the water caused an increased urge to urinate. I didn't seem to experience this problem, nor did the majority of the crew. And even so, it's a problem that is easily solved.

There is a stone outcropping that we will be able to be in. I had asked, much to Engineering's dismay, that they wear the traditional dress of the inhabitants at all times, even while inside the blind. Thankfully, they did not need to evacuate during the build, but if a situation had occurred, it's just one less thing to arouse suspicion. Although the build itself is over, this policy should remain in effect for anyone on the surface of the planet for any reason.

Now that the blind is set up, we should be able to observe and gather data without having to rely too heavily on interaction. Of course, some level of interaction will be necessary, especially until we have resolved the question of the bandits.

After confirming that the Blind was finished, I rejoined Dr Highwater and En. Czavicevic in the Inn. While there we were served by another employee of the inn. Though it seemed like idle chit chat, Czavicevic was actually investigating. We used the cover story of me being a travelling merchant selling jewelry. Upon seeing some (replicated) jewelry, the lady said to be wary that some bandits or gysies don't steal them. Finally, we had confirmation that there were in fact bandits. Most people skirted around the issue, but we finally had someone speak about it outright.

With this knowledge, we made our way back to a rendezvous point, and returned to the Hope. Just as we were departing, sensors detected a small vessel, very similar if not the same, as the slavers used on Trelios III. It was leaving the area quite hastily.

Conclusion:

With the duck blind now in place, the need for interaction with the inhabitants shall be lessened considerably. At least, it appears so for the time being. We should be able to safely observe several key areas from that vantage point. If a situation arises where interaction is deemed necessary, all current protocols are still in effect.

Further information regarding both the details of the duck blind, as well as the rules and perameters that all personnel are to follow shall be outlined in the Science Log (and available on notecard).

In Service
Ensign Scottybrit
Science Officer- SS Tranquility
Skot Brit.

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

Γ Gamma Company Graduate 110222

Access Service Jacket
ScottyBrit Resident
Science - Fleet Captain
Science - Fleet Captain

SS Tranquility
SS 001
=A= Science Log =A=

Stardate: 110508

Log entry:

An opportunity has arisen for the study of a pre-warp civilization on the planet of Menlo Prime (located in the star system of the same name). This culture is pre-industrial, comparable to the people of Terran Europe circa 1350 AD.

To facilitate the safe observation thereof, permission has been granted to set up a duck blind in a town called Usk.

The purpose is actually two fold, as it also provides a means of monitoring for possible "space raiders" who we've been told have been taking people from this region. If this is true, then it must be put to a stop.

Individual Reports:

The Duck Blind- The decided location for the blind is in an area just to the west of the town of Usk. It is highly unlikely that anyone shall run into it, as it's located on a stone outcropping on a waterfall. No one would venture there, as they would be killed in the resulting plummet. It also is at a high vantage point, providing a view of many key areas- the main street, one of the inns, several shops and barrows, one of the churches, parts of the castle, and even a portion of the jousting area, to name a few. It is also at the corner of the town's wall, which means that a part of the region outside the town is also visible. Several houses are visible on both sides of the wall as well.

Duckblind Location- A (waterfall west of main viliage) by Scottybrit, on Flickr

On the technical side, there are redundancies to power (if need be, hydroelectric power can be utilized due to the falls, though the likelihood of resorting to this is slim). This should give enough to be able to keep the holographic shielding active in the event of power failure. There are also two exits, one that faces a wooded area not far from the river, that has monitoring devices to check for people before exiting. The other is in the form of a lift leading down behind the waterfall that goes down to the ground. this could prove beneficial in case of an emergency evacuation. Either can be used in an emergency, though it's best to save the one by the waterfall for emergencies exclusively, as it faces the town (even as a building would most likely block the view of any potential onlookers).

For all staff who shall be going down to the surface of the planet, culturally appropriate dress must be worn at ALL TIMES. This includes anyone working inside the blind, whether they're observing or not, and regardless of whether one is on duty. This is in place so that if the need arises for an evacuation, no one would be seen in inappropriate attire. Although attention being drawn would be inevitable, taking these measures (including the exits) should minimize such an effect.

Though this should go without saying, any interaction with the native people should be of a sort that attracts the least amount of attention as possible. This would include avoiding any conduct, comment, or action that is aggressive, confrontational, flirtatious, or vulgar in nature. Of course, as Starfleet personnel, this should be second nature anyway.

Finally, the very carrying of technology is to be kept to an absolute minumum. Each department has been briefed concerning what devices are or are not permitted, as well as under what conditions they may be used. Any further questions or concerns should be addressed through the chain of command present. (this also applies to any crewmember who feels that they were denied permission to participate unfairly).

Conclusion:

If we all keep the Prime Directive (as well as several others) clearly in our minds, as well as follow the steps laid out, we have the best chance for success. While I am confident in my fellow crewmates, I am in no way under the delusion that this will be easy. In fact, the risks are quite high indeed, which calls for vigilance on everyone's part.

That being said, everyone has done their job admirably, and hopefully we shall continue to do so. This is a chance to both study a new people, and also to possibly protect and preserve it from the raiders that have allegedly attacked the planet. If this is confirmed, and if they continue to do so, they could severely alter the evolution of this society. So we are not only keeping the prime directive ourselves, but also fulfilling it by stopping others from causing harm.

In Service
Ensign Scottybrit
Science Officer
SS Tranquility
Skot Brit.

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

Access Service Jacket
ScottyBrit Resident
Science - Fleet Captain
Science - Fleet Captain

SS Tranquility
SS 001
=A= Science Log =A=

Stardate: 110513

Log entry:

Lt. LeighAnn Mantis came just after a Workbee Ops course to discover the gruesome scene of three dead crew members in the Transporter room, some dismembered. The Lieutenant called for security and for any asistance that could be deployed. I was in a shuttle en route to Pinastri IV, so I simply asked the pilot to change course and head for Tranquility.When within transporter range, I beamed aboard, which just happened to be the transporter room in question.

We tried to contact security, but there was a delay, which I do not know what it was, nor did the Lieutenant. She ordered me to contact security as well, which I tried. There was not an immediate response. Lt. Mantis left for a moment, presumably either to find a security officer. Meanwhile I was able to contact the VCSO and a security officer (Lt(jg). Ponce (Alexander) Zapatero, and Lt. Kainin McDonnell respectively) from the USS Sheppard, who came to assist via hollogram.
An investigation was then launched involving all available personnel into who the crew members were, how they died, and most importantly who did this and why. The station was ordered to Red Alert, and lockdown of the station and its airspace was put into place until further notice. I ran a few scans with my tricorder in an attempt to gather as much preliminary data as possible before it became either contaminated or degraded.

Not too long after, Ensigns Czacivicevic and Crystal came on to the scene. Lt. (jg) Tison and Dr. Czavicevic also came, and all started to do their various duties, taking our cues from the orders from security as being a crime investigation, it fell under their juristiction. Around the time of their arrival, Lt. McDonnell had to end There was quite a bit of confusion at the start, as Lt Mantis was seeming to have some sort of problem. I suggested that it might be post-traumatic stress, but not being a doctor, I would not try to attest to the situation. Still, she was seeing things that the rest of us could not. After much persuasion, she agreed to go to sickbay. It seems Lt Zapotero was having some visual issues as well, though his were much more likely a problem with the projection. During this confusion, a "Captain" Jo Massenberg entered the transporter room, asking if the airspace would be open again soon, as she had some pressing business to attend. She is already wanted for the kinapping of a member of command, and assuredly other charges. Now being a person, not just of interest but a suspect, security and ops both worked to try and interview her.

The bodies were then moved to the morgue. Dr Highwater came in to lead the autopsies of the victims. I accompanied the doctors to sickbay, until something could be brought down to the science lab specifically, while the science team worked on the tricorder data I had gathered thus far.

It was at this point that Commander Randt-Rhode came into the morgue and asked medical for a report. As they were delivering it, I was handed two bullets removed from one of the victims. I brought this down to the lab, where a good portion of the evening was then spent. At one point during the investigation, it was concluded that the three murdered gentlemen were Ensign Newman, Crewman 3rd Class Collins, and Ensign Lynch.

The science department was tasked with assisting medical in identifying the bodies of the slain, some of that through analysis of the bullets. At one point, I was called down to security to take custody of some weapons (two hand axes) removed from Jo Massenberg. There were copious amounts of blood on them, and we were to both analyze the blood, and also assess the shape of the blade to determine the statistical probablility of them being the murder weapon(s).
The final task was to retrieve data from the transporters, in an attempt to piece together the final bits of the puzzle, to gain enough to at least hold Massenberg on suspicion of murder, which can be added to her ample list of infractions.

Individual Reports:

Initial crime scene tricorder readings: Tricorder readings taken from the scene did not indicate any large quantities of blood apart from the three victims. There was not any blood transfer from a potential suspect. Neither was there any hair samples on their person apart from their own, so there were no DNA clues to assist in the identification of the attacker(s).
Readings of the general area were inconclusive due to the high volume of traffic in that area. There was simply no way to narrow down the possibile suspects from that pool. A foot print was found, which was indeed blood, and was the blood of the three victims.

Bullets removed from John Doe #1 (Simon Lynch)- The bullets are what are called .22 consistent with ammunition used on Earth around The 20th and 21st century and were quite common in a variety of rifles and handguns. The composition was lead, and not bismuth used in more modern examples. Readings showed calcification around both bullets. The human body will sometimes coat a foreign body in calcium to protect it from possible contamination. With the rate of calcification of a typical human male, the bullet has been in the body for aproximately 15 years. This is true of both bullets removed removed.

Hand Axes: Two hand axes were confiscated from Massenberg (J-01 & J-02). Both had what was confirmed as blood, in various stages of liquidity, and some residual amounts which had soaked into the wooden handles. Upon analysis, numerous species were found, including but limited to Human, Vulcan, Klingon, Romulan, and various animals, as well as several unidentified iron, copper, cobalt and silicon based blood cells (many of which were too degraded for further identification). Some of the samples were run through a centrifuge, in hopes of seperating the various kinds. The sheer amount of samples made isolating the DNA difficult, and it was not until a sample from one of the victims was brought down that a differential analysis would be possible. Medical submitted samples from the morgue. However, all were negative for blood from any of the victims.
Through 3-D graphic data, in part images from marks left on bone and tissue, we were able to make a recreation of the weapon(s) used. The over all shape of the murder weapon is consistent with the hand axes, but the microscopic nicks and ridges were not. However, we now had an image of the identifying marks of the axe used, and it is possible to use this information to positively identify its match with comparable accuracy to a fingerprint, an "axe print" as it were.

Transporter Logs:
Logs retrieved from the transporter showed that Jo Massenberg's pattern was transmitted from Tranquility to a point in space that her Bird of Prey was waiting, and then beamed back within a minute later. Based on this result, En. Czavicevic asked if it were possible to recreate the items on Massenberg's person using the logs. Results listed below.

A search of the transporter's logs as well as the logs for the bio filters, for DNA matching En. Newman, En. Lynch, and C3 Collins at the same time, showed a result that indeed their DNA had passed through the transporters, minutes after they were already dead, and at the same time as Jo Massenberg had been in the beam. This stream was beamed to the location of the bird of prey stated above.

With this confirmation, logs from the pattern buffers was gone through. Although typically, the buffers only store the "information" for 420 seconds before degredation ensues, that merely applies to the stream. Logs of what was held in that stream, showed the relative position of certain elements of the stream. Isolating it to key elements and areas, along with information extracted from the heisenberg compensator an image of the blades were retrieved, down to almost the electron, which were finally a match to the murder weapons. These axes were beamed off of tranquility, but did not return with Jo Massenberg when she beamed back.

Conclusion:
Although we do not have a match to the murder weapons in custody, it is clear from the transporter logs that Jo Massenberg had possession of them right after the murder. Also using the information from the logs, it is a logical conclusion that she took the murder weapons, beamed out, and returned with new ones. An assumption that the missing weapons are still on the bird of prey is not out of the question, though perhaps slightly unlikely.

One thing is clear, Massenberg has already kidnapped a member of command once. And if the above is not enough evidence for a conviction of murder, and if we cannot find anything further, it still is quite clear that she has tampered with a crime scene... at the very very least.

In Service
Ensign Scottybrit
Science Officer, SS Tranquility
Skot Brit.

Access Service Jacket
Garethya Mongrain
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

SS Tranquility
NCC 001
=A= Science Log =A=

CSO Garethya Mongrain recording.........

Stardate: 110817

Log entry:

At 11:36 I was called to Shuttle Bay 2. Captain Jonue, who captains a civilian freighter, had picked up what appeared to be a fossilized bone, when he had been on one of his runs.

He said he had picked it up on a planet called Scalos while transacting a trade. He had placed the bone in a containment tube. I scanned the tube and did not pick up any initial contaminents.

Individual Reports:

Initial Physical characteristics of the fossil:

Length: About 23 cm ( about 9 in) in length, elongated oval with one end round, the middle section the same dimensions, then tapering to a point at the end

Circumferance: 12 cm

Color: pale yellow with pale brown and white lines running along the circumferance.

Conclusion:

LCARS information on the Planet Scalos resulted in the following:

Scalos is a class M planet located in the outer quadrants of the federation galaxy, homeworld of the humanoid Scalosians.

The population was destroyed by radiation poisoning. The planet had a population of 900,000, and had a rating of 7 on the industrial scale before 2267. When it was visited by the Starfleet vessel USS Enterprise, only five hyperaccelerated individuals remained.

Further tests will be run to determine the make-up of the bone.

In Service
Cmdr Garethya Mongrain
CSO SS Tranquility
Kinney Randt
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

To: Lt. (jg) Maerenda Hellershanks, Fleet Strategist, SS Nimbus
Cc: Commander Kinney Rhode-Randt, CO, Commander Garethya Mongrain, CSO, SS Tranquility

SS Tranquility
SS 001
=A= Mission Log from Science =A=

Stardate: 110817

Log entry:

Lt. Nicola Leonard (NPC) reporting...

While attending to the duties on ops deck, I heard a transmission from Cpt. Triellis asking for Tranquility to respond. Apparently there was an asteroid hurtling toward Pinastri IV. Its eta was less than 2 hours. The first matter at hand was to stop the impact with the planet, as the effects would have most likely whiped life off of the surface. Tranquility's science department kept in communication with Crewman Catherina Sorrowsong of PRF science trying to both analyze the asteroids path, running simulations to determine the effects of any plan, and of course to determine and weigh the risks involved.

Eventually it was determined that the asteroid was going to have to be fired upon in order to break it apart. Of course this was going to create a lot of shrapnel fragments. During this time, tranquility was raised to red alert, and the surrounding ships and shuttles arranging to dock were advised to either clear the area or brace for impact. some of them were diverted to the far side of the station.

Once broken up, the fragments were easy to track, and only minimal damage was done to Tranquility's shields.There were also no major damage reported among the ships awaiting docking. A few had some cosmetic damage that had decided to "wait it out."

There were later several large fragments headed toward various areas. one toward the SS Alexandria, but more importantly one toward the planet's surface. according to models, if this impacted, it wouldn't hit PRF specifically, but in the general region, and would have had significant atmospheric impact.

A tachyon beam was able to be used to slow the fragment's progress, but his only bought us some time. Command was then deferred to Lt. Beningborough when she came on deck. Still, the larger fragments wre broken up thanks to assistance by the USS Foil, enough that by the time they made it through the Pinastri Prime's atmosphere, the impact would be minimal.

Conclusion:
An asteroid of this size most likely broke free from the Humbolt belt. PRF and SS Alexandria scientists will most likely learn more about the origins of this star system from it's analysis. Tranquility may also have opportunity to gather a few of the fragments, so either way this asteroid shall be well studied... er... what remains of it anyway.

In Service
(submitted via) Lieutenant (jg) ScottyBrit
Asst Chief Science Officer, SS Tranquility
Garethya Mongrain
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

The following report is a follow up received from XCSO Skot Brit....

SS Tranquility
SS 001
=A= Science Log =A=

Stardate: 110912

Log entry:

Cmdr Mongrain procured a bone from a captain of a freighter claiming it to be from the Alpha quadrant planet of Scalos. After initial laboratory testing, I was asked to continue with chemical analysis.

Individual Reports:
The initial make up of the bone consisted of traditional Zinc, potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, strontium, copper, selenium, and posphorus, similar to many other humanoid skelletons.

However the calcium level was notedly lower than what would be expected. In addition, the phosporus and strontium levels were increased. These were outside the normal mean levels.

There were also numerous radioactive materials within the bone, most likely absorbed. Grades of uranium, plutonium, strontium, and californium.

There were faint signs of radio activity being emitted from all of these. the levels were within safe parameters now.Notable however is the uranium and plutonium. Factoring in the rate of decay, the Uranium 233 would have been exposed to the bone nearly a two million years ago. Meanwhile, there was an amount of plutonium 240 still detectable, but according to the figures, this exposure would have been two million years ago as well. This doesn't match up, as the half life of Pu240 is 6,560 years, and would have been far beyond our powers of detection after that time period. Yes the mathematical figures still bring up the same answer.

Of further interest is the presence of Strontium 90. S90 was used hundreds of years ago on Earth to treat bone cancer.

Conclusion:
There is evidence that this bone was exposed to radiation at some point. Whatever seems to be happening here cannot occur. Hyperaccelleration of the particles could explain part of the discrepency between the U233 and Pu240.. Still it is very puzzling.

The decreased amount of calcium does point to radiation poisoning. As for the increased levels of certain elements, it is difficult to determine if this was helpful or harmful, or if it was even extraordinary at all.

Something quite intriguing is the S90. Being a bone, a possible treatment for bone cancer makes an amount of sense. Still, one has to ask how all of these pieces fit together, and what else lies in secret of this fragment.

In Service
Lieutenant ScottyBrit
Asst Chief Science Officer, SS Tranquility
Deleted User
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Tranquility Station
SS 001
=/\= Science Report =/\=
Mission Name: Contagious Cargo

Stardate: 120108
Science Officers On Duty: LTCMDR Lan Nakajima, LT Valden

Mission Report:

I arrived in Ops at around 1300 hours to all things relatively quiet. I informed the Commander of a few sciences related issues and discoveries and began running a routine scan of the Humboldt Belt, upon which I discovered a vessel with strange power output readings. I alerted the Commander, but by the time I finished sharing my discovery, we received a distress call from the cargo ship. Captain Graves of the Metroid reported his ship was experienceing cascading systems failures. There was something very familiar about what was going on, yet I was still unable to put it all together. I offered to pilot a shuttlecraft to help tow the ship back to Tranquility, with the premise of allowing myself several scans of the vessel. I took my scans and my shuttle began malfunctioning, with similar issues as our cargo ship. In my absence Tranquility had began uploading the details off the cargo ship's computer, and started suffering from the same dibilitating malfunctions as my shutle and the cargo ship, except with localized effects. I managed to get out a message before my comms and life support systems failed, updating the Ops crew about what was going on.

As I had originally thought I had remembered seeing the phenomena before, though I remember reading about it in a textbook. The USS Yamato was destroyed by an Iconian Virus in 2365. Fortunately I was beamed out of my shuttle before I ran out of oxygen, and found myself in sickbay, the Iconian virus having infected the processors in my optic implants causing blindness. The problem was remedied by a total shutdown and firmware reinstallation, and I was able to see, just as the announcement of a total shutdown and system restore of Tranquility was announced, and undertaken to near perfect sucess. I was cleared by medical and returned to Ops, a disshelved Captain Graves behind me on his way to the pub on the promenade. The freighter and the shuttlecraft both were sucessfully restored to normal working order, and Captain graves agreed almost hapilly to offload the Iconian artifacts, which appear to be Data Chips.

CONCLUSION:

Sciences will begin immidiate research into the Iconian Data Chips in hopes of discovering how the Iconian Software works, taking precautions of using a completely separate computer system from the rest of the station, to scan the devices. It is hoped further reasearch will uncover what the Iconians are or were doing in the Delta Quadrant, possibly a current location, or at the very least further analysys will reveal a safeguard against their "Virus" for Federation Facilities or Starships.

=================

In Service
LtCmdr Lan Nakajima - Chief Science Officer
Deleted User
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Tranquility Station
SS 001
=/\= Science Log =/\=

Stardate 120112

Log Entry:

Research on the Iconian Data Chips has stalled for the moment. Despite our best efforts we are only able to contain the data chips, as any form of data collection leads to the overwriting of our secure storage computer's software, not to mention the countless number of tricorders that have been wiped clean. Lieutenant Koroshi, who has more or less been put on attached duty to Sciences from Engineering is attempting to create a defensive computer program that while won't completely stop the spread of the virus, should significantly slow it down enough that we can manage to get a few clean scans of the chips. If we are unable to gather any data without this constant back and forth with the computer wipes we may need to consider another data collection plan if not to completely give up on trying to collect the data. I refuse to give up on collecting the stored data, as the benefits of knowing the whereabouts of the Iconians in the Delta Quadrant would benefit Starfleet greatly... However it cannot be justified putting the station at risk to do so. If the program Lt Koroshi is working on is successful, I may make a request to the Commander that we be allowed to transfer the chips to, and place a quarantine on an old Asteroid Base in the Humbolt Belt that Athena Station used as a testing facility. Hopefully with all of it's redundant systems we will be able to at least find out where the chips originated from.

In service
LtCmdr Lan Nakajima - Chief Science Officer

Return to “SS Tranquilty Mess Hall”