Grid:

=============================================
United Federation Starfleet
USS Sheppard
NCC 74769
=A= Second Officer's log =A=
Lt. Commander April Coswell

Location: In orbit of the planet Qagatu, approximately 20,100 years in the future

Second officer's log, Stardate 111211

Following our trek into yet another anomaly, we have found - mercifully - that we have travelled only 15 years into the future. There are still no signs of the Chenae station, or the Captain and her team. As both the station and the Sheppard went through the same anomaly, it's reasonable to assume that we're both in this time period and, hopefully, in this area.

Since splitting up means being able to cover more ground, Commander Hamelin has set out with a search team aboard two shuttles while the Sheppard, under my command, went to investigate a chroniton signature emanating from a nearby planet.

We are currently orbiting this planet and have ascertained that the chroniton readings seem to be coming from a set of caves on the northern continent. The composition of the rock in these caves includes the usual post-eruption materials, including basalt and silica. But there are also a few materials which Science can't identify.

We have made contact with the locals, a pre-warp industrial species named the Qagatians, and requested permission to visit these caves. Although the Qagatians - a spiritual but somewhat reclusive people - hemmed and hawed somewhat, they did provide us with a time when, they said, no one else was in the caves. They then wished us good luck on our quest, a quaint turn of phrase that I found intriguing.

Computer, end log.

In service,
Captain April Samantha Coswell
Executive Officer, USS Maxwell
mulgrave Dwi
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

CREW MANIFEST

Commanding Officer - CAPT Mulgrave Dwi (played npc)

Chief of OPS
/Mission lead - LTCMDR April Coswell
Asst Chief of OPS - Rich Lombardia
Ops Officer - Helmsman - ENS Melisa Ellison (played npc)

Science Officer - LT Kathen Ohtobide

Chief of Engineering- LT CMDR Alex Zapatero (played npc)
Asst Chief of Engineering - LT CMDR Chrystian Merlin

Guest Starring

Medical Officer - LT CMDR Data Axel
Security Officer - MARINE CAPT Kalenna Krupinski
mulgrave Dwi
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

USS Sheppard
NCC-74679
=A= Operations Log=A=

Stardate: 111211
Location: Pinastri Sector, roughly 20,100 years into the future
Mission: Turn On, Tune In, Seek the Light

Log entry:

While the Sheppard was in orbit of the planet Qagatu, two away teams were sent to the surface to investigate the chroniton signatures emanating from the caves. Although we cannot remember much about what happened down there, we know this - things certainly didn't go as planned.

Individual reports:

To: Captain Mulgrave Dwi, CO, USS Sheppard

At 0900 hours, after receiving final clearance from the Qagatians, I asked Assistant Chief of Operations Rich Lombardia to assemble an away team and undertake our investigation of the chroniton emissions coming from the caves on the planet below.

It didn't take long for things to go awry - Science officer Kathen Ohtobide reported that she had lost sensor contact with the away team, and we soon found we were unable to raise them on comms. The Qagatians weren't helpful - they told us that the away team was probably choosing not to respond to our hails because they were "tuning in".

Commander Merlin managed to pick up some general readings from the away team's tricorders, which did at least tell us that our people's brainwave patterns down there had changed somewhat. This was soon corroborated when Lt. Lombardia and Ensign Torque finally responded to our hails... with nonsensical jibberish.

I decided to lead a second away team down there, and asked Commander Merlin, Lieutenant Ohtobide and Ensign Montgomery to join me.

Upon arrival, we found some exotic flora as well as some caves... and some sculpted stone faces. We heard somewhat primal cries, and we recognized the voice as that of Ensign Torque. At this point, I asked Dr. Axel to join us on the surface.

We finally came upon a delusional Ensign Torque... but as for what happened after this, my memories are kind of a jumble. I've been told that I, too, became delusional and went around talking about waiting for a van to come. At some point, I must've lost consciousness. When I came to, I was near a stream and Ensign Montgomery was standing next to an inert Commander Merlin. Lieutenant Lombardia was lying face down and weeping.

I was told by Dr. Axel and Ensign Montgomery that the face-shaped sculptures were emitting chronitons and distorting our minds; Commander Merlin shorted them out by reverting to his energy form.

Once I felt I was able to operate, I arranged for transport of the away teams - including a few wounded - back to Sheppard. I also asked Ensign Montgomery to secure one of those face-shaped sculptures and make arrangements to have it safely transported to the ship, inside a chroniton-dampening field.

To: Lt. Commander April Coswell, Chief of Operations

There were Chronitrons located on a nearby planet. Commander Coswell was in Command and decided a pair of away teams should be sent to locate these Chronitrons. I was in command of the first team along with Commander Zapatero and two other security personnel, one officer and one enlisted.

We beamed down to the planet surface and it was a beautiful sight. The nearest cave was short and empty but Commander Zapatero found some interesting reading but there were some minerals in the rocks that was intering with our readings. We continued towards a nearby waterfall and found an intriguing stone head. The something strange happened........ I can't quite explain it but one by one we started to act funny. I don't have much memory of these events but but I am told that I most certaintly was not my self. There was some connection between our strange behavior and those stone heads. Comamdner MErlin who was part of the second away team was able to overload himself and disable the heads. I woke up on the floor on the planet surface but I felt horror with in my own mind.... I..... the rest is more suited for a personal log and not a operations report.

Log of Operations Officer, Valencia Montgomery:

When I started out my shift, Commander Coswell was in command. While the captain is still missing, and Commander Hamelin is conducting a search, we’ve decided to investigate a planet, nearby the anomaly we passed through, which we found to be emitting a chroniton signature. The readings were then narrowed down to a series of caves on the planet’s surface. After speaking with the locals, a species known as the Qagatians, the commander thought it might be worth investigation.

Commander Coswell sent down an initial away team consisting of Lt. Lombardia, Cmdr. Zapatero, Capt. Krupinsk, and a crewman. I took Lt. Lombardia’s station. After they’d entered the caves, I found it difficult to maintain any sort of communications with them, and what we began to hear was some undoubtly strange. Despite attempts by our Asst. Chief engineer, there didn’t seem to be any other way to get back in contact with them besides going down there ourselves.

The second away team consisted of myself, Cmdr. Coswell, Cmdr. Merlin, Dr. Axel, and Lt. Ohtobide. As we found the entrance to the caves, I began to notice that both Cmdr. Coswell and Lt. Ohtobide were acting a speaking in a rather peculiar manner, and their behavior only worsened as we moved forward. It seemed, however, that Dr. Axel, Cmdr. Merlin, and myself we the only ones, thankfully, not being affected. I presume it had to do with the fact that both Merlin and I are inorganic.

Our initial scans of the cave confirmed that this was the source of the chroniton readings. Furthermore, tricorder readings pinpointed them to these artifacts scattered throughout the area. With the rest of the crew seemingly incapacitated, it was up to the three of us to find a solution. As Cmdr. Merlin was attempting to understand the nature of these artifacts, I noticed a number of our crew speaking about “the light”--something reminiscent of the Chenae religious order.

Quite frankly, these artifacts didn’t even seem like the sort of technology a pre-warp people like the Qagatians would possess. While I couldn’t confirm it, I began to believe the caves were a sort of indoctrination center, using chroniton-emitting aritifacts to manipulate those humanoid lifeforms which entered. Further study of the artifacts might prove as much, but it also would seem that the affected crew weren’t in any pain. In fact, quite the contrary--they were enjoying themselves. Perhaps this place was seen by the locals as a place to take a “spiritual journey”, much like early Native Americans in ancient Earth history.

Whatever the intent of this place, something had to be done. The crew was falling left and right as they “ascended”. Cmdr. Merlin concluded that the artifacts must be networked somehow. He and I tried to search for a central hub, but to no avail. Finally, he concluded that they worked in circuit, and could possibly be disrupted if he overloaded one of them. In a rather risky move, he reverted to a pure energy state, and used himself to overload the artifacts. His bet paid off, and slowly the crew members came to. Cmdr. Merlin, however, had knocked himself offline. I was able to revive him to a point of functionality, but I think he’ll still need some minor repair. As for the rest of the crew, Dr. Axel saw to them, and we made our way back to the Sheppard... but not before taking one of those strange artifacts for further analysis.

Conclusion:

The testimonies of those officers who were unaffected by the faces all point to a clear connection between what happened to us and the Seekers of the Light. It seems that a few of us - including Ensigns Torque and Petty, as well as myself - referred repeatedly to the Light and the Ascension before losing consciousness.

In addition, despite my delusional state at that point, I vaguely remember Lieutenant Lombardia looking me in the eye and telling me something about "they" being in our minds and on the ship, all of them wanting us for something bad. I have no idea why I remember this but nothing else from this experience, but I would be remiss in my duty if I did not mention it.

In service,

mulgrave Dwi
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

USS Sheppard
=A= Tactical/Security Log =A=

Stardate: 111211
Security Status:

Krupinski was assigned to the away team as security. Upon arriving on the planet, officers observed indigenous flora and fauna. Approximately ten minutes after arriving on the surface and beginning initial scans of the caves, the away team came across an artifact. At this point, the security officer must revert to tricorder readings, due to an unknown outside force affecting the mental state of the away team. After descending quite a few meters and traveling in a circle, I somehow returned to my starting point, where I was discovered along with the rest of the away team and trasported back to the ship. Sometime between the caves and being found, I sustained injuries. How I traversed the landscape and ended back in the stream is anyone's guess.
In Service
M.Capt. Kalenna Krupinski

Return to “USS Sheppard Archives”