ROMA Transtiberum - ROMA Archaeology - 080619 - MAGELLAN

Summoner_Castaignede
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Island: ROMA Transtiberim - ROMA Archaeology
Island Owner: Torin Golding (ROMA Imperium)
Island Rating: Mature
Tech Rating: Less than Starfleet
Describe the Island: I transported down to an archaeological digsite. Various pieces of equipment were scattered around -- survey tools, ecofacts station, boxes of artefacts, soil sifter, and a tent. In the trench itself, some tools had been left, and there was a ladder to allow descent into the trench. Some artefacts had also been uncovered already.

Utilising the transit machine and the measuring stick, I was able to ascertain that the topsoil ends 140cm down, where it yields to a layer of pebbles. Climbing down the ladder, into the trench, I collected a set of tools to work with, such as trowels, spades and buckets.

Using the pick to remove some rock and then digging away the sand, to remove greater amounts of soil, I moved on to using the trowel, which, after some work, yielded a few small statuettes, a Roman clay lamp, and some broken pieces of glass and ceramics.

Taking a break from digging, I decided to take a look at the various layers of soil. It is interesting to note that layer two, which seems to be largely solidified mud, was dug into a long time ago, and refilled at a later date, and then covered.

Peppered throughout the areas were various pots and containers. The oldest, a clay pot, was lodged into a layer of pebbles at the bottom of the trench. There was also an amphora further up, and some kind of bowl in the pebble layer near the top.

Archaeologists also uncovered a log of preserved wood in the trench. Perhaps it might have been destined for building a home or new fortifications, or perhaps for making a boat. Counting the rings may give us some clue as to when exactly this tree was felled, and is also useful for calibrating Carbon Dating, which utilises a measurement of how much Carbon-14 is still in the item in question -- in this case, our log. Perhaps the log might have been utilised in someone's home to provide heat, in which case, thermoluminescence can also be used to measure how long ago it last had heat (such as a fire) applied to it.

With the amount of excavation done also comes full buckets of soil, which can be sifted with a meshed shaker. One bucket contained a lamp, another some iron nails.

One archaeologist had put aside a tray of artefacts. Amongst them were a chunk of plaster, a corroded dagger (dropped by a legionary, perhaps?), another broken lamp, coins (from which we can obtain a very good idea of when they were made or dropped),  pottery, a bronze spike, a possible statue of a household god, and a piece of unfired clay.

The ecofacts machine was interesting. It's used to find things like bone, shell, charcoal and seeds. Rolling my sleeves up, I made a routine check of my finds to see if there were any ecofacts present. Nothing came up, unfortunately.

With all of this came the inevitable burden of paperwork. Excavation is a destructive process, meaning that meticulous recording of all findings is a neccessity, so that records can be kept.

Recommendation: Heartily recommended, both for the fun factor, and for archaeologists within the Sciences department, to get a better idea of how the archaeological process works.
Officer/Cadet: Lt.(jg) Summoner Castaignede
Stardate: 080619
Kevin Fremont
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Great work Archaeologists. Looks like a great site for people to explore. ;)

Return to “Project Magellan”