Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Duty Post: Chief Science Officer
Ship/Station Posted: U.S.S. Monarch
Grid: Second Life

Project Magellan.

"Where was the time we used to be explorers" Capt. Picard. "Insurrection"

"To explore strange new SL sims, to seek out new avatars, new themes. To boldly go where no avatar has gone before". SL version

1. Description.
The purpose of this project is to explore theme based sims like Sector001. There is a lot of unexplored and unknown sims in SL. I've seen a lot of theme based sims like Starwars, Harry Potter, Furry, Gorean, fantasy, etc. but only at a glimp of an eye. My idea to fully explore those sims and make a full report with pics for the Starfleet database. Once or twice a week a mission wil be scheduled. Other members may attend an Away Mission if they wish. A mission will take approx. 30 to 60 minutes.

- Project is under full control of the Science Division.
- Science Expedition Team (SET) consists of a max. of 4 persons.
- Missions are primarily planned by the Sciences Division. Other Divisions are welcome to plan their missions.
- No RP like the Bridge RP's of the Federation Fleet from Tact/Ops. No alt. names, no Bio's, no alt. ranks. You are who you are.
-  Mission creator is also the Mission commander. SL STARFLEET ranks does not count.
- the Mission Commander will write a notecard with basic data about the foreign sim before the Mission take place. place the text also on the forum in the Science subforum in a topic labelled: "Project Magellan. Mission [number]: [name of the sim]" including any SET members (other members who wants to join your mission).
- Combine the reports of the Science Expedition Team after the mission in 1 full report to be placed in Copernicus and the Star Chart (Col. Laxness). the Mission commander will see to this.
- All mission reports wil be at least handed to Ensign Gijsjan Broek.

2. Rules and Conduct.
- no interference, observing only. (Sim group events and activities)
- no provocation. (no griefing, no abuse, etc.)
- obey the Prime Directive.
- dont show your identity as a Starfleet Officer if the tech level is lower than the Starfleet Standard.
- defuse confrontations, not cause them.
- strive to be a part of the solution, not the problem.
- never assume, always verify.
- adhere to the foreign sims rules and laws.
- establish first contact if possible or approached upon.

3. Exploration.
- explore the entire sim as best you can.
- explore the inside of buildings as well. unless access is blocked or your requested to leave by a member of the sim.
- take notes and write a full report based on your notes. use this syntax*
- take snapshots if you want. A pic says more than a thousand words.

REPORT TEMPLATE

Island: [ISLAND NAME HERE]
Island Owner: [OWNER HERE]
Island Rating: [ADULT/PG etc]
Tech Rating: [-/=/+ LESS THAN, SAME AS, GREATER THAN STARFLEET]
Describe the Island: [WHAT DO THEY DO THERE, WHAT IS IT FOR, HOW POPULAR IS IT]
Recommendation: [DO YOU RECOMMEND IT AS A LOCATION FOR STARFLEET OFFICERS TO VISIT?]
Officer/Cadet: [YOUR NAME HERE]
Stardate:[YYMMDD]
Name the notecard:

ISLANDNAME-YYMMDD-MAGELLAN

4. First Contact scenarios.

3 situations can occur:

Situation 1.: the person is a guest like us in the foreign sim.
Situation 2.: the person is a member of the sim/theme.
Situation 3.: the person is the boss of the theme or the sim (Estate/Island) owner.

How to act:
Situation 1.: chat like you always do but mind Section 2.
Situation 2.: greet the person Trek style like this:"Greetings, i'm Ensign Gijsjan Broek, a member of SL STARFLEET, Sector001. Representing the United Federation of Planets. We come in peace. How are you on this fine day or night?" if the tech. level is equal or above Starfleet Standard. If below Starfleet Standard greet normally, and chat like you always do but mind Section 2. Tell the person about Sector001 and ask what his/her theme does. Also invite the person to visit Sector001 if possible.
Situation 3.: this is a tricky one. use the same as Situation 2 as a start. (Further actions needs to be decided by Command and/or Tact/Ops).

5. Diplomacy.

(Based on Situation 3 in Section 4, Command, Tact/Ops and/or Diplomatic Corps must decide what actions to plan/how to/take for Diplomatic relations, treaties and Friendships)

This is Starfleet's main mission: Exploration.

Ensign Gijsjan Broek
Science Division / Astrometrics Dept.
United Federation of Planets
Last edited by Gijsjan Broek on 071021.1316, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Gijsjan Broek.
Science Officer of U.S.S. Monarch :enterprised:

"Astronomy compel the soul to look upwards, and leads us from this world to another" Plato

Access Service Jacket
Frostbite Pikajuna
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Second Life...

Our Final Frontier...

These are the Voyages of the Second Life Star Fleet.

Her SL Mission:  To explore strange, new Regions.  To see out new Avatars, and new On-Grid Civilizations...

...to boldy go where no Trekkie has gone before...

:)
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Project "Magellan"
Exploration Mission 1: Orilla.

Synopsis:
On stardate 071010 i've discovered a Stargate themed sim based on the Asgard species. The sim looks very interesting at my first glimps. The tech. level appears to be higher than Starfleet Standard. Mission is reconfigured as a excercise mission. Mission is scheduled at sunday on 11:00 or 12:00 pm SLT. Mission started at 12:15 pm SLT and its completed at 1:30 pm SLT.

There a 3 theme's in the sim. All Sci Fi based. A full report is avaiable in the Science Database in the Conference room at the Science deck in Cascade. Use the Magellan Node.
Last edited by Gijsjan Broek on 071014.1533, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Gijsjan Broek.

"Astronomy compel the soul to look upwards, and leads us from this world to another" Plato

Access Service Jacket
Chase Quinnell
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

I will take part in this mission, if you need me.
Kevin Fremont
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Gijsjan, get a plan and write it up.
All RPs will be under the direction of the Tac/Ops Division and the guidance of Capt. Zania Turner.

Fremont Out
Chase Quinnell
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

*smiles evily* Tac/Ops division, yes, you are under OUR control, *grins* Hehe
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

The project is on hold untill cleared and/or organised by Command and Tact/Ops.
Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Sam Christiansen
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

If you write up a report about it, and send it to me or Zania, I'm sure we'd be able to Authorize it within a timely fashion. (a.k.a Less than 24 hours after its submitted)
Kevin Fremont
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Ensign Broek. Send the report to the Chief or me. We will contact Tac/ops about it.
Samuel Whizenhunt
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

I've spoken to Gijs in world. The project is on hold until the Tac/Ops situation is clarified by Command. My personal opinion is that this is NOT RP. This is exploration of Second Life to provide detailed information for the Science Division database. It will form part of the Star Charting exercise that colonel Laxness has asked me to undertake.

There will be no characters involved, no BIOs, no alternate ranks etc. It will be a group of Starfleet Science Division officers and others wandering around a SIM taking notes.

Anyhow, I will arrange a meeting in-world to discuss this and a number of other issues.

Thanks,

Sam
Harvz
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

I have been exploring the GOR sims in the past few months rather informally. An interesting culture set in about a Iron/copper Age in earth terms. the natives are a bit xenophobic and ridgid about their RP. Tarmburg is the most tolerant of outsiders. the beamdown point has native costume freebies available, a few notecards of rules, including directions to the scribery where one can study the law and customs further, and an observer fliptitle is also provided as well as an OOC lounge in the clouds.

is there a specific form to fill out on the exploration like a planetary survey? if so please foward it. I hope this isnt limited to science dept. please advise
Tmayla
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

I like it!  A voyage of exploration, even if it's a one-person piece of explore and intel.  It would be an interesting way to see parts of SL through another's eyes.

If Project Magellan becomes a reality, please let us know.  I see this as the basis for some wonderful articles for the SLSF Newsletter at the very least.
Samuel Whizenhunt
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

This is a very encouraging response :-)

The project will not just be for Science officers - anyone is welcome to explore and report back to the Science Division on what they find.

The template to be used for these reports is:

REPORT TEMPLATE

Island: [ISLAND NAME HERE]
Island Owner: [OWNER HERE]
Island Rating: [ADULT/PG etc]
Tech Rating: [-/=/+ LESS THAN, SAME AS, GREATER THAN STARFLEET]
Describe the Island: [WHAT DO THEY DO THERE, WHAT IS IT FOR, HOW POPULAR IS IT]
Recommendation: [DO YOU RECOMMEND IT AS A LOCATION FOR STARFLEET OFFICERS TO VISIT?]
Officer/Cadet: [YOUR NAME HERE]
Stardate:[YYMMDD]

Submit this report as a notecard to the Chief of Starfleet Science. Name the notecard:

ISLANDNAME-YYMMDD-MAGELLAN

The Chief (me) will then pass the notecards on to the Magellan manager (Ensign Broek).

In the meantime, Gijs and I will also work up the idea, consulting with Tac/Ops and Command, or taking larger groups on Away Missions as Magellan originally envisaged. But for now, if you'd like to make a report on an island you like, we'd love to have it! If photos are included that's even better! Please make sure any notecards you do submit to me are copy/modify.

Your island reports will also form part of the Sector001 Star Chart that is in progress.

Thanks,

Sam
Last edited by Samuel Whizenhunt on 071015.2358, edited 1 time in total.
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

I've added a revised version of the project. see the first reply at the beginning of the topic. The project is still on hold.
Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Rascal Cleanslate
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Sam/Gijs

Keep me in mind for the group away missions as and when they occur. I wiuld be interested :-)

Return to “Project Magellan”