******Ambassador Speaks******

Oversees the UF Starfleet Academy, cadets and the indoctrination of new members in to UFS.

Moderators: Silvio Rosca, Silvio Rosca, Silvio Rosca

Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: 001 Second Life Grid

The Ambassador Speaks is a series of presentations from a representative of the many different species/races in Star Trek. These are not official Ambassadors, but instead someone sharing information about his or her culture, the planet, the government, the cuisine, and any other information the speaker chooses to share in hopes of a better understanding of each other. Each presentation will be from a different race.
After the Ambassador gives his or her presentation, he or she will answer questions from the audience.
The first Ambassador Speaks event was on 181117 at 7pm SLT.

LT.JG Kem Vala was the first "Ambassador" presenting information about the Retellian and the planet Retel. His presentation was excellent. Very informative and entertaining. When I first mentioned the Ambassador Speaks Series to Kem Vala, he liked it and volunteered to be the first Ambassador. He said, " this program actively promotes Xenology, and it is a great boost to RP".

The purpose of this series is to learn and share knowledge in a fun and social environment. If you have questions or suggestions pertaining to the Ambassador Speaks Series, or If you want to be an Ambassador just IM me, or email me at: evelynrieko@gmail.com
Poison Toocool
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral
Duty Post: Captain/CO
Ship/Station Posted: USS Baker NCC-221
Grid: Second Life

It was a fascinating presentation, I learned so much I didn't know about Retellians! What a marvelous idea for a series, kudos to you for thinking up the idea, and for Kem being our first 'ambassador'.
Admiral Poison Toocool | Command
-Deputy Commander-in-Chief
-UFS Honor Guard Commander

Delta Company Graduate 110104

https://lcars.ufstarfleet.org/index.php ... on_Toocool
3249Rowena
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: USS Thor
Grid: Second Life

Will there be a write up on this for the Delta? Sounds like it was an interesting event, but missed it because of the time.
Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore

Admiral Toocool and Captain Dagger, Thank you both so much for your interest and encouragement!
LTjg Rowena, thanks for your interest also, and for the great idea to have a write up of this event in the Delta Communicator. I will submit it. Thanks, again.
Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore

UFS Academy Lecture Hall
11/17/18
7:00pm SLT

Ambassador Speaks: Kem Vala - Retellian

Kem Vala (kemvala): Good evening all. I'm LT JG Kem Vala, and I am honored to be here tonight.
Kem Vala (kemvala): I am a Retellian
Kem Vala (kemvala): (not a reptillian as some misread)
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool) smiles

Starfleet's first contact with the Retellian species was in the 2150's, when a Retellian freighter contacted the Enterprise NX-01. Firek Goff and Firek Plinn approached Captain Jonathan Archer with a request for repairs.

The two Retellians were later discovered to have kidnapped the heir to the throne of Krios Prime for ransom. Since it is unlikely that a small crew on a warp 2 ship had the means to orchestrate such a kidnapping in space, it is highly likely that they had support from a corrupt government or possibly a large crime syndicate.

Once the 2 Retellians were apprehended and turned over to authorities from Krios Prime, nothing was subsequently heard from the Retellian race.

The planet Retel is located between the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, on the tail end of the Vodrey nebula. It is the 3rd of six planets in the Agno system and is so close to the nebula that its upper atmosphere occasionally absorbs helium from Vodrey. This close proximity to the nebula has helped keep Retel obscure from any general scans in the sector.

Retel has never had a central, planetary government. Its political structure evolved from thousands of years of tribes and clans into 12 major districts, each ruled by a city-state. The districts, like their cities had been in conflict with each other throughout the history of Retel. Only technological advances, which would be beneficial to all the districts were collaborated on. Warp drive was one such advancement.

In early 2375, the Klingon Empire chose to colonize Retel in anticipation of the Dominion War. The Klingons quickly established martial law throughout the planet and set up staging areas and listening outposts across Retel's single continent. With the Klingon occupation, the Retellians experienced their first era of global peace. Local militias were banded together and trained in Klingon tactics and technology to maintain law and order on the planet.

After the end of the Dominion War, the Klingon Empire decided to down-size its operation on Retel and ended up moving their operation to Maranga IV, leaving behind much of their equipment and installations. The political vacuum left by the Klingons' departure plunged the Retellians into a state of anarchy. Only the Retellian army, formed by the Klingon Empire, remained a solid, unified organization, desperately trying to hold the planet's infrastructure together.

Slowly, the Retellian Army gained control of the districts and created enclaves of social order accross Retel. Within these enclaves, they built academies called "Betterment Schools" to introduce some degree of normalcy into the dystopian society. Children were taken from their parents and placed in these schools, being trained to support a constructive culture until they turned 21.

After about 15 years, the martial influence of the Retellian Army finally brought most of Retel under control, and the original city-state districts began to resume business as it was before the Klingon occupation. Once the students of the Betterment Schools were graduated into society, the district economies recovered beyond what they had ever been.

Retel still had no single, governing body with the exception of the Retellian Army. Each district insisted on remaining autonomous although they were now cooperating with each other like they never had in the past. To solve the problem of planetary rule, the army selected 12 ruling members from each of the 12 districts and formed a confederacy. The Retellians are, to this day, guided by the Retel Confederacy and all individual districts are prospering as a result.

Coupled with the technology left behind by the Klingon Empire, and the new-found attitude of cooperation, great strides were made in technological advancement. Interplanetary trade was established on a much larger scale since their ships were now capable of achieving warp 7. Still, the Retellians have never allied themselves with any other race even though the planet is relatively close to Starbase 152. It is safe however, to assume that their trade routes included Federation as well as Klingon planets.

The planet Retel has an equatorial circumferance of 42,249km and orbits Agno once every 360 days. Its rotation period is a mere 20 hours and its axial tilt is 10 degrees. Because of these factors, Retellian seasons are not as extreme as on Earth. Though Retel has polar ice caps, they are only about half the size of the Earth's. The planet is slightly larger than earth and has an atmospheric pressure of 103.1 kilopascals. This increase in pressure and gravity has caused the Retellian race to evolve with bone, organ, and muscle density considerably more durable that that of humans. Most Retellians are adept at hand-to-hand combat and enjoy it as a sport on their planet.

The Retellians have never had a religion per se. Ancient tribes practiced a taboo religion, which evolved into ancestor worship. Thus, instead of worshiping a cause and effect religion, they yearned for intervention by appealing to their fore-bearers. As each city state had notable "hero" ancestors, they were worshiped within that district. Nowadays the ancestor heroes are acknowledged but no longer venerated as powerful beings able to intervene in the affairs of the living. As a whole, the Retellian people have become very pragmatic. Ideals matter little to Retellians: they are an opportunistic race.

And that, capsulizes the Retellian race in 15 minutes.

Q & A Period:
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): That's a fascinating history. So the Retellians have never applied to be members of the Federation?
Kem Vala (kemvala): No, they've always been preoccupied with commerce
Kem Vala (kemvala): Never really found it necessary to have allies
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): Can you explain what you mean by opportunistic rather than idealistic?
Kem Vala (kemvala): Idealism is an abstract to Retellians. Retellians prefer to utilize "real" data, "real" issues to solve their problems and advance their well being
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): Interesting, so the ideals of the Federation would not be something of interest to them
Kem Vala (kemvala): Once I saw the level of technology and cooperation in the Federation, it was an easy choice for me to join

Herbert Glenfadden: How unified is the Retellian Confederacy? Is there still tension between the districts?
Kem Vala (kemvala): The tension is minor. As a confederation, all issues are satisfactorily resolved among the 144 representatives

Evelyn Rieko: How old are the children when they are taken from their parents to enter a Betterment School? Is this still something done on Retel? So you were taken from your parents as a child to go into a Betterment School? If so, what was it like and do you think it is a good thing or bad thing?
Kem Vala (kemvala): Actually, the Betterment Schools are still in operation and... many of the children are moved from their families by the age of 2. Kem Vala (kemvala): I actually have no memory of my own parents
LeighAnn Arianne Mantis (leighann.mantis): what is the purpose of the school?
Kem Vala (kemvala): The purpose of these schools was to seed society with a more "noble" generation
LeighAnn Arianne Mantis (leighann.mantis): so would it be fair to compare them to residential schools of the old era?
Kem Vala (kemvala): On Earth? To a degree, except I doubt that children that young were taken under wing
LeighAnn Arianne Mantis (leighann.mantis): that sounds somewhat barbaric, doesn't it? Separating families?
Kem Vala (kemvala): Barbaric perhaps, but it was indeed effective
Night Rider (colin.nemeth): earth is a backward planet
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): I'd be interested to know what the 'Betterment Schools' teach, is it the basics or something more, something to help reduce conflict and bring people into a community? Ah well I guess that's idealistic... hmmm how can you be 'noble' without ideals?
Kem Vala (kemvala): The environment was similar to what we see in the Academy. Cooperation was critical.

Evelyn Rieko: So you never continue a bond with your parents if you are taken away at 2 years old. Are parents allowed to visit?
Kem Vala (kemvala): Parents can visit... if their children know them
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): It's hard for human beings to understand that kind of separation I think. Other species may not have the same kind of family structure, doesn't make it wrong. IDIC ;)
Evelyn Rieko: Very true, Admiral.. no judgements. :-)
Evelyn Rieko: no memory of your parents so that means parents did not visit
Kem Vala (kemvala): mine did not visit, no

Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): Are you the only Retellian in Starfleet?
Kem Vala (kemvala): I am not certain. I've never heard of any other Retellians in Starfleet
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): Someone said barbaric... we have to be careful about apply human judgements to races and species in other cultures and other worlds.
Evelyn Rieko: yes I know what you were referring to. I agree
Kem Vala (kemvala): True, barbaric is what Retel was in the old days... wars, skirmishes
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): many have histories like that, until they evolved...
Evelyn Rieko: yes.. the Vulcans come to mind and humans.

Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): If you don't mind a personal question, how do you align the pragmatic nature of your culture with the ideals of Starfleet?
Kem Vala (kemvala): Ah, good question. Frankly, I see the ideals of the Federation as being profitable, to me and all its members.
Kem Vala (kemvala): Even an ideal such as IDIC... is simply logical if one wants to succeed in such a diverse universe
Kem Vala (kemvala): that makes it profitable

Kem Vala (kemvala): in fact, we practice polyandry on Retel... one wife, many husbands. That insured that the wife was always taken care of... when a husband died in battle
Evelyn Rieko: That's very interesting one wife and many husbands
Night Rider (colin.nemeth): on my planet its husband and wife
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): Just out of curiosity, what is the gestation period of the Retellians? Is it one child per birth or? Is a specific gender the one who carries the child to term?
Kem Vala (kemvala): That is the same as most humanoids. Nine Retellian months
Kem Vala (kemvala): the mother rears the child.

Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): And what is the lifespan of the average Retellian?
Kem Vala (kemvala): because of our body density and hardiness, most of us live well into our 90's
Evelyn Rieko: What is the marriage ceremony like?
Kem Vala (kemvala): Marriage has no ceremony on Retel. A male makes his intentions know to the female and if she accepts, he is welcomed into her household
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): Curious that it's one wife with several husbands when childbearing is limited by gender and number.
Evelyn Rieko: Are there any known cases of intermarriage with a different race?
Kem Vala (kemvala): I believe that there were some inter-species relations during the Klingon occupation, yes
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): OH how fascinating
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): I imagine a Klingon Retel hybrid would be quite strong
Kem Vala (kemvala): The Klingons actually somewhat admired us for our hardiness
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): I bet!
Kem Vala (kemvala): Retellians are already stronger than humans.
Kem Vala (kemvala): and can certainly withstand more physical hardship
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): Are Retellians a single entity species... not like Trills, for example?
Kem Vala (kemvala): We are proudly a singular entity.
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): Are there any virus or disease that are problematic for you
Kem Vala (kemvala): We have indigenous diseases on Retel but most of them have been under control for decades now
Kem Vala (kemvala): I have never heard of any alien diseases as causing any serious harm. Perhaps that's because of our tough constitution :)

Evelyn Rieko: Do you have pets on Retel?
Kem Vala (kemvala): We do, but they are functional, such as keeping vermin at bay
Evelyn Rieko: typical.. from what you've said.
Kem Vala (kemvala): Much of the western part of our continent is still wilderness. It's actually a tectonic mess
Kem Vala (kemvala): So "pets" are handy there

Evelyn Rieko: do you have holidays you celebrate?
Kem Vala (kemvala): We have rest days, no special holidays unless a clan happens to want to remember and honor their hero ancestors
Kem Vala (kemvala): As pragmatic as Retellians are, most only work 4 days a week
Evelyn Rieko: I love that idea! 4 day work week
Kem Vala (kemvala): the idea there is that we strive to work smarter, not harder :)
Evelyn Rieko: laughs

Kem Vala (kemvala): That was the irritating part of the Klingon occupation... they had us working all week
Evelyn Rieko: so all Klingons are gone?
Kem Vala (kemvala): Some remained. Most left for Maranga
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): are the remaining Klingons and the hybrid offspring accepted into society?
Kem Vala (kemvala): they usually group together in small enclaves
Evelyn Rieko: very good question!
Kem Vala (kemvala): Yes, we really have no issue with the Klingon race. In fact, if you look at my facial features, you'll see a faint resemblance
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool) nods

Evelyn Rieko: may I ask a personal question? if not that's fine
Kem Vala (kemvala): absolutely
Evelyn Rieko: you mentioned resemblance...are you part Klingon? or as a race you're just saying you look similar?
Kem Vala (kemvala): We simply look similar. I look like a typical Retellian so I'm pretty sure I'm not of mixed blood.

Evelyn Rieko: are you a husband?
Kem Vala (kemvala): I am not. I have no wife
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool): "We might be able to solve that problem for you," giggles
Kem Vala (kemvala): If I had a wife, I would have to make trips to the Vodrey Nebula to offer my assistance and support at times

Evelyn Rieko: do you have a favorite food? Retellian or any other?
Kem Vala (kemvala): I absolutely adore beef jerky!
Evelyn Rieko: laughs
Eitr Toocool (poison.toocool) winces
Kem Vala (kemvala): dried meats have been a favorite on Retel for millennia.
LeighAnn Arianne Mantis (leighann.mantis): I was wondering...do you have any access to your cuisine?
LeighAnn Arianne Mantis (leighann.mantis): I'd love to try it
Evelyn Rieko: me too
Kem Vala (kemvala): I eat what's in the replicators... if it's meat... I'll digest it
Kem Vala (kemvala): I can't really say that our species has ever been agrarian... we've always been hunters
Evelyn Rieko: it must have been especially hard to be occupied by the Klingons
Evelyn Rieko: to be ruled
Kem Vala (kemvala): yes and no
Kem Vala (kemvala): As I'd mentioned, the Klingons had a healthy respect for our people.
Evelyn Rieko: nods
Kem Vala (kemvala): Being a people who prefer autonomy made it uncomfortable, but we never really had any issues with them
Kem Vala (kemvala): we actually fought amongst ourselves more often :)

Evelyn Rieko: Lt Kem Vala, thank you so much for your talk about your race the Retellians! It was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it!!
Kem Vala (kemvala): It was my pleasure and honor, Commander.
Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore

ImageSnapshot_880 by st1pr2, on Flickr
Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore

Ambassador Speaks: Understanding the cultures around us.
Saturday, 04/28/2020 @ 9:00am SLT @ the UFS Academy.

Lt. Salek shares his perspective on Vulcan culture and beliefs.

The Ambassadors in the Ambassador Speaks Series are not accredited diplomats sent by a planet or country, but instead a person acting as an informal representative of his race and planet, giving unofficial information to aid in the pursuit of a better understanding of each other and promoting diversity.

If you would like to be an 'Ambassador' please contact Cmdr. Evelyn Rieko.
evelynrieko@gmail.com
Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore

Evelyn Rieko wrote:
Ambassador Speaks: Understanding the cultures around us.
DATE CORRECTION: Saturday, 04/25/2020 @ 9:00am SLT @ the UFS Academy.

Lt. Salek shares his perspective on Vulcan culture and beliefs.

The Ambassadors in the Ambassador Speaks Series are not accredited diplomats sent by a planet or country, but instead a person acting as an informal representative of his race and planet, giving unofficial information to aid in the pursuit of a better understanding of each other and promoting diversity.

If you would like to be an 'Ambassador' please contact Cmdr. Evelyn Rieko.
evelynrieko@gmail.com
Date is 04/25/2020

Return to “Chief of UF Starfleet Academy”