Ask Yourself!

The Deputy Commander UF Starfleet assists the office of the Commander in Chief with the overall direction of UFS.

Moderator: Kermie Mistwallow

Kermie Mistwallow
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral
Duty Post: Deputy CinC, UF Starfleet
Ship/Station Posted: Headquarters
Grid: Second Life

With the reinstallation of the 3 billet rule. (See post - viewtopic.php?f=847&p=213087#p213087 ) I want everyone to ask themselves.

Am I being productive?

While UF Starfleet will always look out for it's members in the capacity we can, and we ensure everyone is being fair, wether in roles or with ethics we can only look after you so much.

You have to ask yourself,

- What roles am I being productive in?
- Am I perfroming to my full potential?
- Is someone doing all the work and i'm taking the credit?
- Have I reached my peak?

It's ok for someone to say "I can't do this anymore" or "I think it's time i stood down and persue other roles in UFS" Or even "I need to take a break from responsibilites"

It takes a strong person to realize thier own limitations and realize what they can and cannot do.

- Do you have other time commitments?
- Have you run out of ideas?
- Have I stagnated?

Noone will judge you or think less of you if you cannot do something anymore. Maybe you need help in your role? If so, reach out up the Chain of Command, ask "What can I do to move forward".

I can use myself as an example in this.

I suffer from severe Anxiety and Depression, there have been times where I have snapped at people, treated them with discontent, and even been "emo" in an open chat. I stood up and said "I can't do this anymore" and i've stood down from positions.

UFS is supposed to be a fun place, not a workforce, we don't get paid, we are all volunteers.

*Holds up a mirror* What would you say to yourself, and what questions are you asking your reflection?
Admiral
Deputy Commander in Chief
RodneyMMckay
Medical - Captain
Medical - Captain
Duty Post: Medical
Ship/Station Posted: USS Veracruz
Grid: SL

I have stepped down too, from a few things. Stepping back can give you the ability to solve whatever you need to, or just rest! So that you can help out more when you are ready.

Have more cookies and less arguments!
CMO USS Veracruz
Senior Medical Advisor, UFS
Reina Beaumont
Security - Commander
Security - Commander
Duty Post: Security Officer
Ship/Station Posted: Unknown

My strengths are in writing, video games, typing and I suppose role play as well. I would say I'm actually rather content with what I've got, I do role play as and when able, I've got the USS Grampian project which i do for the group and it makes use of my strengths.
I wouldn't mind a little more role play though finding workable RL times for it when it comes to SL can be awkward and my computer is pretty old so going from sim to sim can be hard going.

Other than that though I've pretty much found my place where I can work to my strengths and creative capabilities though it isn't really pushing me to my limits, that's fine though as I don't want to be burned out again with doing too much.
"Never underestimate a woman who was trained to survive by whatever means" - Reina Beaumont

"The uniform says nothing of the actual person wearing it, the uniform is merely a uniform, the person is the one actually doing their job" - Reina Beaumont

SB: Director of the School of Beta Quadrant Cultures - SS Alexandria

Access Service Jacket
Lan Nakajima
Engineering - Commander
Engineering - Commander
Duty Post: Chief Engineer
Ship/Station Posted: Pinastri HQ

Looking in the mirror my first question would be... "Who is THIS handsome beastie?" But in reality, sure I just came back, but I've kept my workload in trying to do things low so as to not overwhelm myself. Recruitment and Retention has been really exciting and fun to work with, getting to lay out great ideas and implement them for the good of the group and all. But that's sound advice for anyone, don't try to do everything, choose even just one thing and give it your best effort!
Drewski Northman
Command - Captain
Command - Captain
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Atlas

I think another important question we all should ask ourselves is this:

“Am I having fun?”

Ultimately, underneath the uniforms and spaceships and departments and fleet level offices and everything else, we are a group of friends brought together to have fun in the Star Trek universe. For a lot of us, that works itself out in the roleplay and storytelling. Others truly enjoy the administrative side of things, or writing classes for the Academy, or recruiting new members. If we’re not careful, all of that can become a JOB. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I have a job in my first life.

There’s an award that UFS issues each Admiral’s Banquet called the “Rising Star” award. I was made aware of it’s dubious reputation as the “burnout award” because usually the people who get it come into UFS, shine very brightly and enthusiastically, and overwhelm themselves or get bogged down in the un-fun things that can crop up, then they disappear. Thanks to the mentorship of Nora Gerhadsen, she reminded me never to lose sight of the fun and not burn out. I owe her a lot for that incredibly helpful advice. I also think the “Three Billet” rule will help with some of that potential burnout.

For me, telling stories, building worlds and ships, creating new things and discovering strange new science weirdness, hanging out with all of you in SL and in Discord….it’s the most fun I’ve had in my long time in Second Life. I hope that it never stops being fun.
In Service,

Captain Drewski Northman
CO, USS Atlas NCC 74138
Branch Commander: UFS Science
Jimmbo Resident
Engineering - Lieutenant JG
Engineering - Lieutenant JG
Duty Post: Engineering Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Atlas
Grid: Second Life Grid

Excellently said Captain Drew! As one of the people who had recently came back who is trying to find some where to contribute I think this rule is a good idea to let more of our people find unique and fun ways for them to contribute to UFS as a whole rather than just their ship. I know it would be some work but has there been any talk of a centralized area in the forums to post openings? As someone trying to find a way to contribute the many locations these postings can be hiding is sometimes hard to navigate.
LTJG Jim Schmidt
Engineering Officer
Engineering | USS Atlas
Kassiequandrii Resident
Intelligence - Lieutenant JG
Duty Post: Intelligence Officer
Ship/Station Posted: SS Astraios
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

RodneyMMckay wrote:
Have more cookies and less arguments!
I think we found our slogan ;)
Kassiequandrii Resident

Jimmbo Resident wrote:
I know it would be some work but has there been any talk of a centralized area in the forums to post openings? As someone trying to find a way to contribute the many locations these postings can be hiding is sometimes hard to navigate.
I'd enthusiastically second this!

As someone else new, the plethora of (excellent!) sources and forums has been kind of overwhelming and confusing. One central "Here's How You Can Contribute" could be a great tool for recruiting and retention, showcasing the great things available for people to do.
Cipher Rhode
UFSMC - LT. Colonel
UFSMC - LT. Colonel
Duty Post: Critical Skills Officer

I had to really take time and consider not only what my strengths are, but what I like and love doing. I like playing my character. I like role-playing as my character and interacting with others being such a unique person not really seen much in Trek. I enjoy being a gamer, streamer, and voice over creator and producer as well.

But what I love to do, when I find and make the time to do so, is writing. I like writing to tell the story of Cipher that, with all due respect to my fellow officers and Marines, may get lost in translation during a live RP. I love how UFS has the vehicle and room to explain and expound upon who Christopher Rhode is, why the way he is, what makes him smile, what breaks his heart, up to and including any unfinished business he has, in and out of uniform.

I love taking the time and risk to explore what is possible in Star Trek, regardless if people would consider it “canon”. I love showing how complex just one man is, in and out of uniform. I love trying to illustrate with words how Cipher deals with the universe around him. I love how it can be shown the lessons and consequences he carries from mission to mission.

And my friends, I can tell you this. Cipher may have been out of circulation with the Federation, but he was never out of business. 😉
LtCol Christopher "Cipher" Rhode, UFSMC

Access Service Jacket
Kassiequandrii Resident

Cipher Rhode wrote:

But what I love to do, when I find and make the time to do so, is writing. I like writing to tell the story of Cipher that, with all due respect to my fellow officers and Marines, may get lost in translation during a live RP.
I've got to say, this is one of my favorite forum posts. UFS seems to handle the IC/OOC divide differently from most of the RP I've done, and it's seemed that not a lot of people are writing *characters* the way I'm used to.

That you're doing it, and that you've got so much love for the process - that's a joy and an inspiration.

So, thank you for that! :type2phaser:
Ferre Flamand
Sciences - Lieutenant
Sciences - Lieutenant
Duty Post: Vice Chief Science Officer
Ship/Station Posted: SS Tranquility

I've been reading everything with a bit of mixed feelings because I'm actually missing the boat a bit. I don't excel at anything and actually I wouldn't know what kind of function would suit me in this system. The things I'm interested in in RL are photography, astronomy, bass guitar, electronic music, growing hot peppers and I think we're done. The fact is that all these things (other than astronomy) don't have much to do with UFS :) I was also suggested to teach in the Academy and write courses of astronomy but frankly I fall short of that according to my modesty opinion. I was also asked if I was not interested as an Event Organizer, but I don't know enough people and the know-how of the whole event. Besides, I would provide totally inappropriate music because my music style goes 180 degrees against what is considered mainstream ;). It may sound a bit pathetic, but that's the way it is. So I'll have to think about this for a while because I think it's a bit of a shame that I can't contribute my bit. I do (almost) every day permanence at Tranquility Station, but that's where it ends.
Cipher Rhode
UFSMC - LT. Colonel
UFSMC - LT. Colonel

Ferre Flamand wrote:
I've been reading everything with a bit of mixed feelings because I'm actually missing the boat a bit. I don't excel at anything and actually I wouldn't know what kind of function would suit me in this system. The things I'm interested in in RL are photography, astronomy, bass guitar, electronic music, growing hot peppers and I think we're done. The fact is that all these things (other than astronomy) don't have much to do with UFS :) I was also suggested to teach in the Academy and write courses of astronomy but frankly I fall short of that according to my modesty opinion. I was also asked if I was not interested as an Event Organizer, but I don't know enough people and the know-how of the whole event. Besides, I would provide totally inappropriate music because my music style goes 180 degrees against what is considered mainstream ;). It may sound a bit pathetic, but that's the way it is. So I'll have to think about this for a while because I think it's a bit of a shame that I can't contribute my bit. I do (almost) every day permanence at Tranquility Station, but that's where it ends.
As American college football coach and commentator Lee Corso would say, “NOT SO FAST, MY FRIEND!”

Your planetary surface data updates that you’ve been providing on the Discord server, daily, without fail, is ABSOLUTELY VITAL for the safety and operations of all units, including Marines.

I cannot express enough just how meteorological information is for even real-time intelligence by its own separate measure. Away teams need to know exactly what they are beaming into while making plans for landfall.

And seeing where your RL horticulture interests are, this in my opinion makes everything you do even more of an asset and reflects great credit upon yourself, your shipmates, your department, and Starfleet Naval service.

DON’T EVER CHANGE.

Oh, and P.S., there are multiple kinds of music in the Trek universe. Never be ashamed of what you like.

Access Service Jacket
SirenaWaterdottir Resident
UFSMC - Major
UFSMC - Major
Duty Post: Marine, OiC
Ship/Station Posted: USS Thor NCC-122355
Grid: Secondlife

Ferre Flamand wrote:
Hey now,

You can incorporerate your passion for atronomy into your roleplay. You provide a great asset to your crew and to the entirety of UFS.
You excel more then you think, in life and within UFS. I am sure that if you talk to Communications they can also incorporate your photography passion and I am sure they would love to see these skills and use them in the communicator.
You do not need to know people to be an Event Organizer, all it takes is advertising the event wherever you can, as soon as you can and regularly and then you can meet new people. There is many things you can throw yourself into within UFS that can use what we call transferable skills. Keep your chin up and know that you are valued and a respected officer and member of the UFS. Believe and you will achieve.
Major
Sirena Wood
16th Detachment, Officer in Charge
USS Thor
Academy Yeoman
Ferre Flamand
Sciences - Lieutenant
Sciences - Lieutenant
Duty Post: Vice Chief Science Officer
Ship/Station Posted: SS Tranquility

It's touching to see how people can react and try to cheer me up / convince me. My message was maybe a bit too negative, I just wondered what function I should have. It's because almost everybody in my team has a fleet-function except me. I felt a bit "inactive" in that way. It's not that I'm going to let my head hang down or so :) I'm maybe a bit too impatient ;)
Cipher Rhode
UFSMC - LT. Colonel
UFSMC - LT. Colonel

Ferre Flamand wrote:
It's touching to see how people can react and try to cheer me up / convince me. My message was maybe a bit too negative, I just wondered what function I should have. It's because almost everybody in my team has a fleet-function except me. I felt a bit "inactive" in that way. It's not that I'm going to let my head hang down or so :) I'm maybe a bit too impatient ;)
I’ve been a Starfleet Marine Helljumper all my career. We have NEVER dropped into a hot zone without intelligence from Science Officers. The information that Science Officers like yourself provides quite truly makes the difference between life and death, victory and defeat.

This is not to blow some solar winds up your aft ramscoop, this is truth.

Can’t wear your crown with your head down, kid. You got this.

Hoorah

Access Service Jacket

Return to “Deputy CinC, UF Starfleet”