3 Billet Rule!

The Deputy Commander UF Starfleet assists the office of the Commander in Chief with the overall direction of UFS.

Moderator: Kermie Mistwallow

Kermie Mistwallow
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral
Duty Post: Deputy CinC, UF Starfleet
Ship/Station Posted: Headquarters
Grid: Second Life

Greetings All,

Coming into effect over the next week will be a 3 Billet Rule. ( A billet is a position held).

This means that if you hold more than 3 positions in UFS (wether this is on one character or spread across multiple) then you will have to give some up.

Why are we doing this?

We want the opportunity for other people to be able to step up and contribute, is it fair if 1 person is taking up many positions when there are others looking for ways to contribute? I think not.

Also, think about it, the cogs in this working machine can grind to a halt, if someone is holding 4, 5 or 6 positions and that person suddenly leaves, goes AWOL or takes a leave, then that is many positions to fill up, UFS grinds to a halt because of it, more stress put on others to pick up the slack.

Again, holding say 4 positions, thats only 25% of effort put into each one, thats a lot of time divided.

So lets look at this in the positive, light, we want to create opportunties for people to get involved, not pile all work on one person, that's what everyone coverts right? Promotions? there is only one way to get them and thats contribute.
Admiral
Deputy Commander in Chief
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

Thank you very much for this post, and for the new ruling. I had been concerned for some time about the overwork by some very helpful and talented people. We do need to train and employ, and have opportunities for anyone who wishes to contribute at Colony, Sector or Fleet. I appreciate also that this rule applies to alternate accounts. No one person should hold so many positions that they compromise their ability to do the work, or make their lives stressful & unhealthy.

I also wanted to add that this is the second suggestion I have personally supported that has been adopted (the other was a revision of the Membership Exam so that it is also an orientation rather than just an exam on the membership manual). I feel that there are changes being made, like this one, that benefit us all. I would like to thank Miles, Kermie & the JCs for their efforts to open doors & minds, and usher in a new era for UFS.

-P
Vice Admiral Poison Toocool | Command
-Joint Chief, UF Starfleet Communications
-CO, Denkiri Centre for Creativity
-UFS Honor Guard Commander

Delta Company Graduate 110104

UFS Service Jacket
Kermie Mistwallow
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

Thank you Poison.

Just to add in here. that there are a few exceptions to this rule. For example

Academy Instructor
Honor Guard

(i'll update as the questions come in)
Admiral
Keitha02 Resident
Sciences - Commander
Sciences - Commander
Duty Post: Science Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Sheppherd

so this rule is it for everybody??
Kermie Mistwallow
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

Keitha02 Resident wrote:
so this rule is it for everybody??
Yes
Admiral
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

Agreed, this is a good rule. Now all we need is for each JC to compile a list of all their billets so we will know whether we have reached the magic number yet.
Captain Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)

Service Jacket

Executive Officer, USS Durant
UFS Blog Coordinator
UFS DJ
3249Rowena
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: USS Thor

Although I agree with this idea in principle, I wonder if the full implications of putting this into practice been thought through. Are we now going to have roles left empty because those who maybe interested don't apply because they are at their billet limit and there's no one else to consider?
Kermie Mistwallow
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

3249Rowena wrote:
Although I agree with this idea in principle, I wonder if the full implications of putting this into practice been thought through. Are we now going to have roles left empty because those who maybe interested don't apply because they are at their billet limit and there's no one else to consider?
Yes it has been thought out and discusssed, Policy Changes are not done on a whim.

Let me also clarify

* A Science Officer is not a billet it is an Assignment
* Chief of Science would be a billet as it a "command position" essentially.
* Everything at fleet/sector level would be a Billet, with the exception of Instructors and Honor Guard

This has always been an unwritten rule, due to the decline in members we overlooked it in order to assist with UFs moving forward.

Now with more members coming in, with members returning and people asking "What can i do to help" or even "how can i be promoted" we can now say well, you can contrubute, here is what is available.

Title hoggers that do not do the roles they volunteer for, Productivity, Burnouts, etc all have to be taken into consideration.
Admiral
Siobhan Crystal
Command - Commander
Command - Commander
Duty Post: Executive Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Atlas
Grid: SecondLife

I don't really think this rule has changed much over the years, but there may have been some exceptions due to need. I think it is a great rule. I recently took on two Fleet positions: Event Planner and Academy Mentor. I know many of us want to do more, but the rule is there to prevent us from biting off more than we can chew and to help retain members, new and old, by preventing burnout.

"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read." --- Groucho Marx

Access Service Jacket

Return to “Deputy CinC, UF Starfleet”