IG Refresher PII

The Commander in Chief oversees the infrastructure of UFS as well as provides direction to all other officers on how to proceed to accomplish the goals of UFS.

Moderator: MilesPrower Dagger

Should we change the names?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 14
MilesPrower Dagger
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral
Duty Post: Deputy Commander, UF Starfleet
Ship/Station Posted: UFS HQ
Grid: Unknown

Also from more discussion there is another part I want to bring up. First when someone brings a complaint or concern to the IG they research it, as in get both sides of the story. This is not an "IG Investigation" its getting information to see if there even needs to be one at all and such. It would only be skipped in very rare events such as a totally ridiculous complaint, something not in UFS' purview, or for some reason getting enough details in the complaint to move forward.

An issue people take, and honestly I don't blame anyone for it because it is a human reaction, is they get instantly defensive and at times aggressive and that simply makes the process harder. The IG process is rarely used and like all parts of UFS grows and evolves as we find issues and ways to make it better.

Something I was considering is the titles. IG and JAG sound legal and military and such, I am posing a poll and wonder how people would feel about less legal and prosecution titles.
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

Members of the Judge Advocate General office in Star Trek and in the US military serve as prosecutors during military court martials. UFS does not conduct court martials, so we should not use that term.

The Office of Inspector General in the US is a governmental investigative agency:
In the United States, Office of Inspector General (OIG) is a generic term for the oversight division of a federal or state agency aimed at preventing inefficient or unlawful operations within their parent agency. Such offices are attached to many federal executive departments, independent federal agencies, as well as state and local governments. Each office includes an inspector general (or I.G.) and employees charged with identifying, auditing, and investigating fraud, waste, abuse, embezzlement and mismanagement of any kind within the executive department.

The Inspector General position as described in the UFS Membership Manual section 5.5 is also an investigative position:
Once moved to processing status, the Office Inspector General begins conducting research on the complaint to gather details and facts. This is done in as swift a manner as possible to keep the conflict from festering or memories to fade. They will gather several items that can be used for their report and recommendation to the Joint Chiefs.

"Inspector General" is not a military term. "Judge Advocate General" is. I believe that the terminology is accurate. I also believe that no one should be talking in public about investigations that are still in progress.
Captain Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)

Service Jacket

Executive Officer, USS Durant
UFS Blog Coordinator
UFS DJ
Kermie Mistwallow
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral
Duty Post: Deputy CinC, UF Starfleet
Ship/Station Posted: Headquarters
Grid: Second Life

I think the correct terminology for what is done in UFS would be - Membership Support Offices
Admiral
Deputy Commander in Chief
3249Rowena
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: USS Thor

Being old fashioned, I'm rather fond of the title "The Inquisitor"
Ulrich Bechir
Intelligence - Captain
Intelligence - Captain
Duty Post: Intelligence
Ship/Station Posted: USS Atlas

I propose DAYCARE SUPERVISOR

The fact that this is necessary because a group of adults in a fan group can't get along well enough and follow, what is in essence, a simple set of rules makes this the logical choice.
Jimmbo Resident
Engineering - Lieutenant JG
Engineering - Lieutenant JG
Duty Post: Engineering Officer
Grid: Second Life Grid

3249Rowena wrote:
Being old fashioned, I'm rather fond of the title "The Inquisitor"
No one ever expects it. :icon-wink:
LTJG Jim Schmidt
Engineering Officer
Engineering | USS Atlas
Drewski Northman
Command - Captain
Command - Captain
Duty Post: Commanding Officer

Greenlantern Excelsior wrote:
Members of the Judge Advocate General office in Star Trek and in the US military serve as prosecutors during military court martials. UFS does not conduct court martials, so we should not use that term.

The Office of Inspector General in the US is a governmental investigative agency:
In the United States, Office of Inspector General (OIG) is a generic term for the oversight division of a federal or state agency aimed at preventing inefficient or unlawful operations within their parent agency. Such offices are attached to many federal executive departments, independent federal agencies, as well as state and local governments. Each office includes an inspector general (or I.G.) and employees charged with identifying, auditing, and investigating fraud, waste, abuse, embezzlement and mismanagement of any kind within the executive department.

The Inspector General position as described in the UFS Membership Manual section 5.5 is also an investigative position:
Once moved to processing status, the Office Inspector General begins conducting research on the complaint to gather details and facts. This is done in as swift a manner as possible to keep the conflict from festering or memories to fade. They will gather several items that can be used for their report and recommendation to the Joint Chiefs.

"Inspector General" is not a military term. "Judge Advocate General" is. I believe that the terminology is accurate. I also believe that no one should be talking in public about investigations that are still in progress.
Gee thanks, now I have the JAG tv show theme in my head.
In Service,

Captain Drewski Northman
CO, USS Atlas NCC 74138
Branch Commander: UFS Science

Return to “Commander in Chief UFS”