What would you like to see?

The Commander in Chief oversees the infrastructure of UFS as well as provides direction to all other officers on how to proceed to accomplish the goals of UFS.

Moderator: MilesPrower Dagger

Drewski Northman
Command - Captain
Command - Captain
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Atlas
Grid: Second Life

Poison Toocool wrote:
Jimmbo Resident wrote:
Drewski Northman wrote:
Alright, I’ll bite. Since it has been said that people should feel open to share their opinions without reprisal, I will do so.

I would like to see Comms and Events show the same level of care and passion towards Second Life that they show towards 3RG and Astraios. If you read our official blogs, the area that gets the most “News” coverage is Astraios. Why isn’t there a “News from Pinastri” segment on the blog? Why isn’t there a “News from the Fleet” segment? Astraios seems to be promoted VERY heavily to a disproportionate amount compared to the rest of our activities.

Astraios seems to get the most unique and thoughtfully planned out events, including lectures from scientists, art galleries (where ironically a good number of the pictures were taken in Second Life from one exhibit), to even an upcoming fun event focusing on redshirts. Compare that to the events planned for Second Life: 2 hours of Beatles music. Generic theme dances. And….that’s pretty much it.

Members have voiced their desire to see a variety of Star Trek themed events in Second Life using the Pinastri sim that is generously donated from the members. Instead, I see those ideas implemented on another grid. Communications department should support the group as a whole (and the vast majority of members and activity are in Second Life), not just their own favorite segment of the group.
I would have to agree with you. I have noticed on the UFS calendar on sim that there seems to be events on those grids quite regularly almost weekly. Then on Sl we just have events here and there some of which aren't actually advertised until the day before or the day of. I would imagine that when someone new comes to check out the sim and things of joining it gives us the appearance of not being that active of a group when for instance the poster for the 4th of july wasn't put up until a day before and then was up until the end of July well after the event. I do understand that it must be hard for the people making these events to juggle between the two but it does seem like the other grids get a lot more favoritism when it comes to events.
Really? There is only one other grid, and it has Starfleet Boogie on Tuesdays each week. Other than that the Colony might have something special once a month. This month was an Art Gallery Opening featuring the real life art work of a UFS member. Second Life has each week Office Hours, Tai Chi, PSI Training (Phaser Training, Space Jump, Pilot Training), plus Fantastic Friday, Promotions & Awards, UFS Town Hall. and special social events planned, organized, hosted & DJ'd by UFS members. In terms of roleplays, there are at least six a week in Second Life, and one a week currently in 3rd Rock Grid.

viewtopic.php?f=852&t=33837&p=213375#p213375
With all due respect, you are listing a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with Communications, IE throwing in Academy and other Departments’ activities. I am talking specifically about the types of events that are being held by Communications Department staff (yourself included since you run the department) in 3RG vs. SL. I gave examples of events that should and could easily be held on Pinastri. Why are we not having art gallery openings (especially when Selina’s artwork for example was primarily shot IN Second Life)? Why are we not having lectures by real life scientists (should I believe that it is actually more of a hassle to get a scientist set up with a SL account vs a 3RG account? I find that highly doubtful)? Why do the majority of Comms events that are run in SL seem to be the same thing: generic DJ shows with people dancing on a dance floor in various types of costumes? Do we not realize that if someone wants that kind of entertainment, there are literally dozens of that exact type of “activity” going on at all hours of the day all across SL? What sets us apart in that instance? What makes us unique? I know for a fact that alternative Star Trek social activities have been suggested many times to Comms, but I only see those more Star Trek-feeling activities making their way to 3RG.

I also addressed the corresponding issue of coverage of IC events (missions, storylines, etc) going on in 3RG vs the rest of the fleet. Astraios has a dedicated news thread. I see no such thing for the rest of the fleet. That all adds up to make it appear that the Communications department is biased towards 3rd Rock Grid and Astraios.
In Service,

Captain Drewski Northman
CO, USS Atlas NCC 74138
Branch Commander: UFS Science
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

Drewski Northman wrote:
Alright, I’ll bite. Since it has been said that people should feel open to share their opinions without reprisal, I will do so.

I would like to see Comms and Events show the same level of care and passion towards Second Life that they show towards 3RG and Astraios. If you read our official blogs, the area that gets the most “News” coverage is Astraios. Why isn’t there a “News from Pinastri” segment on the blog? Why isn’t there a “News from the Fleet” segment? Astraios seems to be promoted VERY heavily to a disproportionate amount compared to the rest of our activities.

Astraios seems to get the most unique and thoughtfully planned out events, including lectures from scientists, art galleries (where ironically a good number of the pictures were taken in Second Life from one exhibit), to even an upcoming fun event focusing on redshirts. Compare that to the events planned for Second Life: 2 hours of Beatles music. Generic theme dances. And….that’s pretty much it.

Members have voiced their desire to see a variety of Star Trek themed events in Second Life using the Pinastri sim that is generously donated from the members. Instead, I see those ideas implemented on another grid. Communications department should support the group as a whole (and the vast majority of members and activity are in Second Life), not just their own favorite segment of the group.
Please don't mix the activities of a non-RP ship based in Astraios with the Social Events planned by the UFS Comms by Fleet Captain Evelyn Rieko.

Communications invites members to contact us with their ideas, we advertise for event planners, our door is open. Anyone who wants to see more in Second Life can help out by stepping up to offer their time and energy to get more things on the calendar. In fact we just hired two more planners in Second Life, which is evidenced by the 3 special events for Sept in SL/Pinastri, Cosmic Rift, Galactic Pirates, Hawaiian Luau. If someone would like to organize Ted-Talks or more Star Trek themed events just email us at chief.communications@ufstarfleet.org

Recent blogs have featured Our UF Starfleet Colonies, Pinastri & Astraios (SL & 3RG); UFS Personnel; RP on SS Tranquility @ Pinastri (SL), Civilian RP @ Pinastri (SL), and the UFS Town Hall (SL). There was a story in June about the Boldly Go Trekking featuring Real Life Marine Biologist (and UFS member) speaking at Astraios (3RG).

I have an Office Hour every Thursday morning at 9am SLT at the Communications Office @ Pinastri. Anyone who would like to write for the blog, or has ideas for more activities in Second Life, may pop in there, or contact me on Discord, or email me at chief.communications@ufstarfleet.org

Why are we not having art gallery openings (especially when Selina’s artwork for example was primarily shot IN Second Life)? --- Denkiri opened an Art Gallery and asked UFS members to show their work. This is part of the activities of my non-RP ship and has nothing to do with Communications.

Why are we not having lectures by real life scientists? -- This part of the activities of my non-RP ship and has nothing to do with Communications.

As stated above, ANY member of UFS who would like to do the work to arrange these things in Second Life is very welcome to do so, they simply need to reach out and we will help them organize and promote their event or events.

I started a 'News from Astraios' thread on this forum on the recommendation of the UFS Retention Officer assigned to Astraios.
Vice Admiral Poison Toocool | Command
-Joint Chief, UF Starfleet Communications
-CO, Denkiri Centre for Creativity
-UFS Honor Guard Commander

Delta Company Graduate 110104

UFS Service Jacket
Drewski Northman
Command - Captain
Command - Captain
Duty Post: Commanding Officer

I see a lot of passing the buck. If you are the head of Communications, the department responsible for events, news, stories, and everything that entails, shouldn’t you be the one to say “ok, we’ve heard what the membership wants and we will make it happen”?

I get that the examples I listed were technically SOTL activities for your SOTL. So sure, you can say that doesn’t apply. But now you know 100% that that’s the kind of thing that the membership wants your department to bring more of, so why pass on that? It’s an easy win for you and it’s an easy win for the fleet as a whole. Why should we have to jump through more hoops just to see that happen when you have shown you’re willing and able to organize that kind of event and you know that we want to see it in SL?

If someone in Science Branch comes to me with a suggestion or something they want to see, I’m going to do my best to work with them to make it happen, rather than pass it off to someone else. You have an opportunity from this conversation to help the fleet. Don’t miss the forest for the trees.
In Service,

Captain Drewski Northman
CO, USS Atlas NCC 74138
Branch Commander: UFS Science
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre

I think I've answered that, Drew. Seems people want more Second Life social events, I've given out my contact details and invited folks with ideas & the time & energy to organize and host the kind of thing they want to see, to contact me and we will make it happen. If folks want more Second Life news, I welcome pitches/ideas for coverage and would gladly accept more articles for the blog.
Vice Admiral Poison Toocool | Command
-Joint Chief, UF Starfleet Communications
-CO, Denkiri Centre for Creativity
-UFS Honor Guard Commander

Delta Company Graduate 110104

UFS Service Jacket
Lizzy Gracemount
Medical - Commodore
Medical - Commodore
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted: Pinastri Headquarters

Poison Toocool wrote:
Recent blogs have featured Our UF Starfleet Colonies, Pinastri & Astraios (SL & 3RG); UFS Personnel; RP on SS Tranquility @ Pinastri (SL), Civilian RP @ Pinastri (SL), and the UFS Town Hall (SL). There was a story in June about the Boldly Go Trekking featuring Real Life Marine Biologist (and UFS member) speaking at Astraios (3RG).
In regards to the blog: I think a lot of improvement could be seen if CompOps sets up the blog so you can read older posts. As it is now, people can't go back further than ten or so posts so all the posts being published are lost after 10 or so new posts. It would also be helpful if they would set it up so the tags are viewable. That way when you add a tag, people can narrow down the list to those specific topics that they want to see. There's a lot that could be done to aid you and members in seeing your blog posts more. It would also be helpful to be able to follow the blog by email. That way we get emails when posts are published. It saves a lot of time for some people.

Another thing that would be useful for the Fleet as a whole is if Fleet RP's are found on multiple platforms. So we have SL sotl, we have Denkari, etc. We have Astriaos, we have Discord... there are a few other ways to add in the Fleet RP... so even though Denkari is a non-RP creative ship, they can participate by holding talks about the RP's or maybe displays or something creative about the creatures found in the RP, etc...

Maybe there could be a connection between 3rg and SL during the Fleet RP to include everyone in it. I dunno, it's just a thought. I'm sure there are scripts that would work in 3rg to filter to discord as they do for SL. Maybe some of the events can be filtered to Discord like the talk from the biologist so people who can't get into 3rg can attend.

That way there's a feeling of inclusion between all of the grids from SL to 3rg to RL and Discord.
“You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” —Bob Marley

"Set course for Relay, Warp Factor 9!" ~ Kermie

“A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on and licks it, or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.” –Dr. Boyce, “The Menagerie,” (“The Cage”)

“Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.” – Mr. Spock, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Kermie Mistwallow
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral
Duty Post: Deputy CinC, UF Starfleet
Ship/Station Posted: Headquarters

Ok so i've read through all of this and This is what i see from Miles orginal question

"What Would you like to see"?

- More Events in Second Life

- Equality Across the Fleet

- Marines activity and usefulness Questioned

- Distinction between Denkiri and the Office of Communications Boundry

So now we know what people want to see .... let's perhaps start discussing "How to implement what people want to see"

Also let me tell you what I DONT want to see

- Favourtism

- My Area is better than your area

- Deconstructive critisism
Admiral
Deputy Commander in Chief
Lizzy Gracemount
Medical - Commodore
Medical - Commodore
Duty Post:

Kermie Mistwallow wrote:
Ok so i've read through all of this and This is what i see from Miles orginal question

So now we know what people want to see .... let's perhaps start discussing "How to implement what people want to see"

- Favourtism

I want to host some events in SL with art and galleries if Po wants me to. Maybe more talks. I can't do much at the moment, but I can help Eve more now with those events. I don't want to do DJ or club stuff. I just don't have the energy for that, but I think it would be great to connect that way.

I think a lot of what is happening is a lot of people want stuff but they don't want to do that stuff... there are people who only like SL or only like 3rg or only like RL but they don't want to offer up ideas for helping in that regard...so maybe one of the ways to implement some of the changing needs of each platform is a liaison between those platforms and the office in question...

Some of the suggestions I have made in this thread aren't hard to make. They're pretty easy and if anyone needs any help at all with learning how to implement them, I'm here. I've done the blogging thing for years so I can help with teaching how to use different features if they need that help. The plugins I suggested are very easy to use and even come with examples. Setting up the blog so members can sign up to receive a notification when a new post is made will help a lot... as well as setting it up so that members can either select the tags used or they can see older posts will be helpful. Especially if the member has been away for a while.

I also suggested that Fleet RP's and talks or events that are hosted in 3rg could be published to a dedicated Discord channel or the Discord channel that's for SL events could be reformatted to publish events from many different platforms like 3rg. I'm sure there's a similar script that is used in SL that can work in 3rg too. Maybe we have a scripter who can take a look at it?

Finally, I think that a lot of the issue is members aren't "seeing" the things being done because either they don't read the forums, they aren't reading notices, or they aren't seeing it published in SL until it's too late or in 3rg until it's too late, so there's a few things that I think can help with that.

First, and foremost, members can take responsibility for themselves. They need to recognize their responsibility to read the notices that are being sent out. If they miss notices, it is very easy to look at past notices in the group. Just open it up, select notices, and read away. But at the same time, people who are leading departments need to recognize that people may not see their notices or find information or see the information until it is too late. And understand that's not your fault, but that there are ways to ensure that every possible means of finding that information is available. Like forum posts, blog posts, social media posts, signs in the grids, and maybe utilizing Discord's event notice system. I have seen many of my Discord servers using an event notice system to notify people of events. A lot of them also use a system that will filter the Social media posts from twitter and FB to a dedicated Discord channel... kind of like we do with the forums now. It really helps people find the information in addition.

The JC can only do so much if people who are volunteering to work for them are actually doing something for that office. I.e. the issue with events that has been brought up. If there are only people from 3rg who are volunteering, then mostly 3rg events might appear. If only SL people are volunteering, then only SL events may appear. We need people from SL to volunteer for events also. Evelyn can only do so much.

If we want to have some exciting events, then members should try to volunteer for those departments. Maybe you can only volunteer for one or two events, which is fine... maybe if you're in 3rg and you see an event in SL that you want to host, then go for it... in SL. Don't limit yourself to just one grid. I would love to run an art show in SL with paintings members can buy during Relay... and I would love to see members from the whole fleet participating in relay season by holding events using Convio. It would be an amazing thing to see all the members together from all the grids and RL raising money for cancer research... even helping with graphics, talks, etc, would go a long way to providing an inclusion with the whole Fleet.
“You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” —Bob Marley

“A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on and licks it, or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.” –Dr. Boyce, “The Menagerie,” (“The Cage”)

“Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.” – Mr. Spock, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Bodan Resident
Security - Captain
Security - Captain
Duty Post: Chief Security Officer
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri CC

Kermie Mistwallow wrote:

- Favourtism

More Events in Second Life - There are already more events in Second Life. Granted, maybe not the right ones and not well attended, but there are definitely more

Equality Across the Fleet - Completely subjective. What does this even mean? You need to define what the inequality across the fleet is

Marines activity and usefulness questioned - Star Trek / Starfleet does not have a Marine Corps. Canonically those duties are covered by the Security branch.

Distinction between Denkiri and the Office of Communications Boundry - This is nothing more than a complete misinterpretation of events by one of the posters on this topic. The distinction is perfectly clear. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery - you like what Denkiri do, then do it yourself or engage UFS Comms in making it happen. Taking pop shots is low.
Captain Bodan Landar
Starfleet Security
Denkiri Station
:flags-wavegreatbritain:
Lizzy Gracemount
Medical - Commodore
Medical - Commodore
Duty Post:

Bodan Resident wrote:
More Events in Second Life - There are already more events in Second Life. Granted, maybe not the right ones and not well attended, but there are definitely more
Many of the posts in this thread called into question the different events being held in one grid compared to another grid. How some events are seemingly more important in one grid while "boring" events are being held in SL. This is a subjective opinion of the poster but not completely wrong. As you said, there are events, but maybe not the right events. So to fix that, maybe consider what events are being held.
Equality Across the Fleet - Completely subjective. What does this even mean? You need to define what the inequality across the fleet is
The prior posts in this thread are expressing the feeling that they don't feel included across the fleet. That is what this means.
Marines activity and usefulness questioned - Star Trek / Starfleet does not have a Marine Corps. Canonically those duties are covered by the Security branch.
I've always thought it was weird to have the Marines. No show outside of Enterprise had the Marines and in Enterprise, they only had the Marines due to the war.
Distinction between Denkiri and the Office of Communications Boundry - This is nothing more than a complete misinterpretation of events by one of the posters on this topic. The distinction is perfectly clear. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery - you like what Denkiri do, then do it yourself or engage UFS Comms in making it happen. Taking pop shots is low.
TBH, when I was asked to do an art showing in Astriaos, I thought it was for the colony. So there's that....

Lan Nakajima
Engineering - Commander
Engineering - Commander
Duty Post: Chief Engineer
Ship/Station Posted: Pinastri HQ

What would /I/ like to see in UFS...

As R&R I try to take peoples issues and complaints and make something useful out of them. If we're presented with an issue by members, we shouldn't try to pass the buck, we should take responsibility and take care of it. People bring up an issue, and it gets dismissed, that's not the UFS anyone wants, or anyone needs. If you're Miles, or if you're a brand new Ensign, if you have it in your power to make meaningful change and work together with the entire group, you have a responsibility to do so.

This is, unsurprisingly something we've always had an issue with though, and while I cant make anyone do anything, I can take responsibility for myself, and I try to fix problems, not pass them along. I can also encourage my fellow members to do what they can for the good of the group. I can certainly hope that we can leave the attitudes of the past where they belong, and boldly move forward together.
Bodan Resident
Security - Captain
Security - Captain

What would I like to see?..

I'd like to see an overreaching goal / vision
I'd like to see a substantiated plan as to how we are going to meet that goal
I'd like to see any and all activity that doesn't take us towards that goal stopped
I'd like to see all those in JC positions on a fixed term, after which the position become open and up for election based on a manifesto.
I'd like to see those who are holding fleet positions but inactive in those positions removed
I'd like to see a few more zeros on the end of my bank balance
Captain Bodan Landar
Starfleet Security
Denkiri Station
Jimmbo Resident
Engineering - Lieutenant JG
Engineering - Lieutenant JG
Duty Post: Engineering Officer
Grid: Second Life Grid

Another big gap I am seeing g people bring up is that some feel that they are disconnected from other parts of UFS due to being on different metaverse or in RL. I know there are a lot of logistical problems around it but perhaps a fleet wide rp involving all of the rp ships from both grids and thr RL post to rp station would be fun to do. I believe it had been done in the past but I may be wrong. All we would need is a central overarching story and a place on discord or the forums to communicate between command and all the ships everyone could see. I have a little experience DMing tabletop games and I think it could be run on the large scale as each ship being a character of sorts and each of their reps would contribute to what that ship or character does in the overall story. I would be more than willing to help set something like that up.
LTJG Jim Schmidt
Engineering Officer
Engineering | USS Atlas
Kermie Mistwallow
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

Bodan Resident wrote:
Kermie Mistwallow wrote:

- Favourtism

Let me be VERY CLEAR on something. These are NOT MY views, these are the views of the posting asking what THEY want to see.

So the comments of subjectivness and misinterpretations should not be Directed towards me.

I am VERY impartial in all of this and summerising.

Now Solutions
Admiral
Kermie Mistwallow
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

Jimmbo Resident wrote:
Another big gap I am seeing g people bring up is that some feel that they are disconnected from other parts of UFS due to being on different metaverse or in RL. I know there are a lot of logistical problems around it but perhaps a fleet wide rp involving all of the rp ships from both grids and thr RL post to rp station would be fun to do. I believe it had been done in the past but I may be wrong. All we would need is a central overarching story and a place on discord or the forums to communicate between command and all the ships everyone could see. I have a little experience DMing tabletop games and I think it could be run on the large scale as each ship being a character of sorts and each of their reps would contribute to what that ship or character does in the overall story. I would be more than willing to help set something like that up.
Thanks Jimmbo, We usually do a Fleet Wide Roleplay at least once a Year, This is run by the Chief of UF Starfleet Operations Office. If you want to help with that or suggest storylines then they would be the people to reach out to.
Admiral
Bodan Resident
Security - Captain
Security - Captain

Kermie Mistwallow wrote:
Now Solutions
Solutions to what though Kermie?

We are in the midst of an open discussion with varying viewpoints.

Any problem has to be clearly defined, specific and substantiated before we can try and improve it. Otherwise we are all just peeing in the wind.
Captain Bodan Landar
Starfleet Security
Denkiri Station

Return to “Commander in Chief UFS”