What would you like to see?

The Commander in Chief oversees the infrastructure of UFS as well as provides direction to all other officers on how to proceed to accomplish the goals of UFS.

Moderator: MilesPrower Dagger

MilesPrower Dagger
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral
Duty Post: Deputy Commander, UF Starfleet
Ship/Station Posted: UFS HQ
Grid: Unknown

So I have been saying this for years, in UFS we have the resources to accomplish almost anything, the issue is where should we put those resources. We have done polls and things for some time but I am always kind of leery to trust them too much because someone can fill the same response in 10 times if they wanted. So I would like anyone who feels comfortable to post here what they think we need to improve on. There are many fan clubs that have alot of draws our goal is to create the "Ultimate Starfleet Experience" and we need to know what that means for you.
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

When I worked at the nuclear power plant, management was crazy for "metrics." They defined a set of "performance indicators" and then assigned some people to create monthly metrics reports that would show status of each performance indicator. So there would be a document with some pretty color graphs inside, and you could see whether the numbers were going up or down. If the number of tagout violations increased from the previous month, then it might be time to see whether our training program is adequate, for example.

We could get a good idea about whether our efforts are in the right place by tracking our numbers. Did we have a dance? How many UFS and non-UFS members attended? Did we do a Fun Field Trip? How many people came out for that? And believe it or not, blogs these days all track how many people read each article, but for some reason we're not making use of that indicator to track the performance of our blog posts. Let's start tracking all these things. Maybe we're wasting our time holding events where no one attends, or writing articles that no one reads, so we should concentrate our efforts on other events that draw in more people. The tracking numbers will tell us what's popular and what's not.

Something else that disturbs me, possibly unrelated, is this:
"So I would like anyone who feels comfortable to post here what they think we need to improve on. "

And another one:
"Have a suggestion or comment?
Want to have your Say and not be afraid of the backlash?
Then fill out the UFS Suggestion Box, No suggestion too silly ..... almost"

Apparently there is a perception that people don't feel comfortable posting their opinions because they don't want to deal with backlash. Let's make a rule that eliminates backlash, so we can all feel like a big group of friends who aren't afraid to talk with each other.
Captain Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)

Service Jacket

Executive Officer, USS Durant
UFS Blog Coordinator
UFS DJ
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

Greenlantern Excelsior wrote:

We could get a good idea about whether our efforts are in the right place by tracking our numbers. Did we have a dance? How many UFS and non-UFS members attended? Did we do a Fun Field Trip? How many people came out for that?

And believe it or not, blogs these days all track how many people read each article, but for some reason we're not making use of that indicator to track the performance of our blog posts. Let's start tracking all these things. Maybe we're wasting our time holding events where no one attends, or writing articles that no one reads, so we should concentrate our efforts on other events that draw in more people. The tracking numbers will tell us what's popular and what's not.
Just wanted to say that Comms staff record the number of attendees for each social event hosted by us, in an attempt to see what was popular, what day/time worked, etc.

In terms of the blog, I agree. We should have the ability to track number of readers, receive likes & comments, etc. Most blog interfaces allow you to see how many readers you have had, how they found you, and what country they are from.
Vice Admiral Poison Toocool | Command
-Joint Chief, UF Starfleet Communications
-CO, Denkiri Centre for Creativity
-UFS Honor Guard Commander

Delta Company Graduate 110104

UFS Service Jacket
Lan Nakajima
Engineering - Commander
Engineering - Commander
Duty Post: Chief Engineer
Ship/Station Posted: Pinastri HQ
Grid: Second Life

Greenlantern Excelsior wrote:
When I worked at the nuclear power plant, management was crazy for "metrics." They defined a set of "performance indicators" and then assigned some people to create monthly metrics reports that would show status of each performance indicator. So there would be a document with some pretty color graphs inside, and you could see whether the numbers were going up or down. If the number of tagout violations increased from the previous month, then it might be time to see whether our training program is adequate, for example.

We could get a good idea about whether our efforts are in the right place by tracking our numbers. Did we have a dance? How many UFS and non-UFS members attended? Did we do a Fun Field Trip? How many people came out for that? And believe it or not, blogs these days all track how many people read each article, but for some reason we're not making use of that indicator to track the performance of our blog posts. Let's start tracking all these things. Maybe we're wasting our time holding events where no one attends, or writing articles that no one reads, so we should concentrate our efforts on other events that draw in more people. The tracking numbers will tell us what's popular and what's not.

Something else that disturbs me, possibly unrelated, is this:
"So I would like anyone who feels comfortable to post here what they think we need to improve on. "

And another one:
"Have a suggestion or comment?
Want to have your Say and not be afraid of the backlash?
Then fill out the UFS Suggestion Box, No suggestion too silly ..... almost"

Apparently there is a perception that people don't feel comfortable posting their opinions because they don't want to deal with backlash. Let's make a rule that eliminates backlash, so we can all feel like a big group of friends who aren't afraid to talk with each other.
I've actually had about 10 responses to the UFS Suggestion Box, I've passed up the Chain to the proper JCs, Department Heads, etc. I'm trying to get a good idea of where we're having issues for Retention purposes. Some of them have been very clear and valid, I've had a few silly ones, but it's a good way for people to get their thoughts about UFS out on paper without repercussion and so we get an honest answer. I want to press very hard that you won't face any backlash from UFS Command or anyone else by letting them know your thoughts and what you honestly think we need to improve upon. If we don't know what you're having trouble with, we can't fix it, and we WANT to fix it!

Anyone and everyone is more than welcome to bring their issues to me or a member of teh R&R staff and we'll make sure your issues get the attention they need. If you want to do so anonymously, then here's the UFS Suggestion Box link!
https://forms.gle/u367sJfjvnr6jZ6P8
Langy Moorlord
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

Statistically speaking, Blogs can be manipulated by browser refresh so that makes any results supplementary to facts.

As for backlash from UFS Command, I was never around to experience this under mike, though I have heard people could suffer exclusion due to opinion, frankly, that's not something you can fix through a rule, it's like racism, if people are going to practice it they will do so no matter how much you show them that it is wrong to do.

Opinions oddly enough are what this is all about you will either hate or love people based on how you personally feel about them, At the end of the day, we are here to play in a game, if your find yourself not here and enjoying yourself then just drop it and move on its not that big a loss its just SL.

That's the comment part of my response, As for suggestions.

I do not understand why the group is split between third rock and SL, this seems odd to me. I would suggest reintegrating the third rock players into the main grid. (there is a mentality that third rock is somehow cheaper or better but it's not)

re-integrate the marines into security, why do we even have that branch as a separate thing we are not in a state of war, and the only times Starfleet has used this branch is a state of war Klingon/Dominion but never in peace time.
and even then it was not officially in canon.
Last edited by Langy Moorlord on 220825.1737, edited 1 time in total.
Lizzy Gracemount
Medical - Commodore
Medical - Commodore
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted: Pinastri Headquarters

You can see the analytics on the backend. Ask CompOps to help with that. There are also plugins that will allow you to rank each post on search engines. The best one is Yoast. Utilize those as well. Also, more posts about UFS and fewer about outside things. People want to read about our group, not about science or Star Trek all the time. Whenever a blog post is posted, you could share it on all social media platforms automatically using the Jetpack Publicize feature. Another aspect that would help people read the blog more is by allowing them to sign up by email or follow via Wordpress. These are little things that could be done to aid in more exposure to people Googling for Star Trek Fan Groups. Utilizing SEO management effectively will place the group within the view of those who aren't in the metaverse. Also remember that UFS is not just Second Life or 3rg... there are a lot of real world people so posts about RL members if they agree would be good too.

Another thing is to consider the user experience when planning anything. What do your users expect? What do the average Star Trek fan want to see in a fangroup? Do competitor research. What do they do good? What do they do that is bad? How could they be improved? How could we utilize that information for UFS? Obviously you're not copying another group, but what you are doing is seeing what a User Persona would look like.

What is our motto? What is our mission statement? What is our vision?

All of this is important to our brand as a Star Trek Fangroup. You can plan events all year long but if people aren't interested in those events, then you waste your time.
“You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” —Bob Marley

"Set course for Relay, Warp Factor 9!" ~ Kermie

“A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on and licks it, or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.” –Dr. Boyce, “The Menagerie,” (“The Cage”)

“Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.” – Mr. Spock, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Langy Moorlord wrote:
I do not understand why the group is split between third rock and SL, this seems odd to me. I would suggest reintegrating the third rock players into the main grid. (there is a mentality that third rock is somehow cheaper or better but it's not)
Some members of UF Starfleet find Linden Labs and Second Life is not to their taste. They prefer to be on an independent open sim where they can actually speak to those who run the grid in community meetings, where there is a feeling of acceptance and belonging. They may disagree with your opinion that it isn't cheaper or better. I myself own two variable regions (16 SL regions each), totalling 26,000 prim, for $26 usd a month. There are challenges though. Many residents of 3RG & the other 348 open sims create their own mesh builds, etc.

If asked "what would you like to see" I'd like to answer, "I'd like the UFS members on 3RG to be thought of as equals to the rest of UFS members." These people have survived through thick and thin & have logged close to 600 missions since 110111.

UFS Service Jacket
Kassiequandrii Resident
Intelligence - Lieutenant JG
Intelligence - Lieutenant JG
Duty Post: Intelligence Officer
Ship/Station Posted: SS Astraios

I'm seeing more than a bit here of "I don't like it, so why are we doing it?"

As a newcomer to UFS, one of the great attractions was the huge menu of things to pursue, all of which seemed to me (with the perspective of a noob) to be equally valid in the eyes of the organization. I could find what I thought was fun, and share it with others with similar tastes. Nobody was being forced to do anything they didn't enjoy, or deal with people they didn't enjoy.

I used to be fairly active in fandom, online and RL. I left because of the prescriptive B.S. - "if you like this, you're a bad fan, a bad person." "You must perform your fandom this way - not too enthusiastic, not too critical."

If I enjoy creating something, and I share it with the UFS, and only two people like it, what's that to you? I'm not here to maximize your metrics or optimize your search results, I'm here to have fun. If I want to play with *my* friends and not *your* friends, what's it to you? Go have the fun you want with the people you want, and let me do the same.

Finally, speaking for myself and not looking to impose meaning on you, for me my Star Trek fandom is rooted in a vision of a world in which self-actualization is the highest human goal. Not conformity, and not return on investment. If I wanted that world, I'd just unplug. I wouldn't need to come to Second Life for it.
Drewski Northman
Command - Captain
Command - Captain
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Atlas

Alright, I’ll bite. Since it has been said that people should feel open to share their opinions without reprisal, I will do so.

I would like to see Comms and Events show the same level of care and passion towards Second Life that they show towards 3RG and Astraios. If you read our official blogs, the area that gets the most “News” coverage is Astraios. Why isn’t there a “News from Pinastri” segment on the blog? Why isn’t there a “News from the Fleet” segment? Astraios seems to be promoted VERY heavily to a disproportionate amount compared to the rest of our activities.

Astraios seems to get the most unique and thoughtfully planned out events, including lectures from scientists, art galleries (where ironically a good number of the pictures were taken in Second Life from one exhibit), to even an upcoming fun event focusing on redshirts. Compare that to the events planned for Second Life: 2 hours of Beatles music. Generic theme dances. And….that’s pretty much it.

Members have voiced their desire to see a variety of Star Trek themed events in Second Life using the Pinastri sim that is generously donated from the members. Instead, I see those ideas implemented on another grid. Communications department should support the group as a whole (and the vast majority of members and activity are in Second Life), not just their own favorite segment of the group.
In Service,

Captain Drewski Northman
CO, USS Atlas NCC 74138
Branch Commander: UFS Science
Lan Nakajima
Engineering - Commander
Engineering - Commander
Duty Post: Chief Engineer
Ship/Station Posted: Pinastri HQ

Drewski Northman wrote:
Alright, I’ll bite. Since it has been said that people should feel open to share their opinions without reprisal, I will do so.

I would like to see Comms and Events show the same level of care and passion towards Second Life that they show towards 3RG and Astraios. If you read our official blogs, the area that gets the most “News” coverage is Astraios. Why isn’t there a “News from Pinastri” segment on the blog? Why isn’t there a “News from the Fleet” segment? Astraios seems to be promoted VERY heavily to a disproportionate amount compared to the rest of our activities.

Astraios seems to get the most unique and thoughtfully planned out events, including lectures from scientists, art galleries (where ironically a good number of the pictures were taken in Second Life from one exhibit), to even an upcoming fun event focusing on redshirts. Compare that to the events planned for Second Life: 2 hours of Beatles music. Generic theme dances. And….that’s pretty much it.

Members have voiced their desire to see a variety of Star Trek themed events in Second Life using the Pinastri sim that is generously donated from the members. Instead, I see those ideas implemented on another grid. Communications department should support the group as a whole (and the vast majority of members and activity are in Second Life), not just their own favorite segment of the group.
This is one of the things that I keep hearing around the group from various people, and I think part of what people aren't fond of 3RG for. It's coming off as an intellectuals only club to some members because of a lack of cross grid events planning with these intelligent and thoughtful events being locked to just 3RG. People also find it difficult to get into 3RG, example, had I not managed to remember my password from 2011, I never got a reply to my password reset and wouldn't be able to login to access these events at all.

Perhaps this is something Comms could look into fixing? I know we have plentiful facilities to host the same events in SL, including the Comms complex for various events, and the academy lecture halls.
Ulrich Bechir
Intelligence - Captain
Intelligence - Captain
Duty Post: Intelligence

Drewski Northman wrote:
I believe we should also do our best to ensure members who are displaying artwork, sharing music, etc. have the largest possible audience for their works. If we are trying to help them gain exposure then they should have audiences in both grids. We have a lot of talented people in both grids and should be celebrating what they do be it artwork, music, photography, object creation, writing, etc. in both places. The more successful they are the better it reflects all of UFS and we should be proud of their accomplishments everywhere.

For some reason all the art shows are only in 3rd Rock... they should be in both places, SL and 3rd Rock.

U.
Last edited by Ulrich Bechir on 220826.0714, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmbo Resident
Engineering - Lieutenant JG
Engineering - Lieutenant JG
Duty Post: Engineering Officer
Grid: Second Life Grid

Drewski Northman wrote:

I would have to agree with you. I have noticed on the UFS calendar on sim that there seems to be events on those grids quite regularly almost weekly. Then on Sl we just have events here and there some of which aren't actually advertised until the day before or the day of. I would imagine that when someone new comes to check out the sim and things of joining it gives us the appearance of not being that active of a group when for instance the poster for the 4th of july wasn't put up until a day before and then was up until the end of July well after the event. I do understand that it must be hard for the people making these events to juggle between the two but it does seem like the other grids get a lot more favoritism when it comes to events.
LTJG Jim Schmidt
Engineering Officer
Engineering | USS Atlas
Lizzy Gracemount
Medical - Commodore
Medical - Commodore
Duty Post:

Poison Toocool wrote:
Langy Moorlord wrote:
Some members of UF Starfleet find Linden Labs and Second Life is not to their taste. They prefer to be on an independent open sim where they can actually speak to those who run the grid in community meetings, where there is a feeling of acceptance and belonging. They may disagree with your opinion that it isn't cheaper or better. I myself own two variable regions (16 SL regions each), totalling 26,000 prim, for $26 usd a month. There are challenges though. Many residents of 3RG & the other 348 open sims create their own mesh builds, etc.

If asked "what would you like to see" I'd like to answer, "I'd like the UFS members on 3RG to be thought of as equals to the rest of UFS members." These people have survived through thick and thin & have logged close to 600 missions since 110111.
It's true that sims in 3rg are cheaper than in SL, but it's not true that you can't talk to the Lindens in SL. Lindens are involved in the community a lot more than people think. I have personally met many of them through participating in Relay every year and sometimes I find time to attend their town halls. Every Relay megaevent, for example, there are at least one or two Lindens running around talking to people, shopping, and interacting with the community. They also hold weekly town halls where people can go visit and chat or ask questions. They interact a lot on the SL forums as well. They are pretty active with the members of the SL community.
“You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” —Bob Marley

“A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on and licks it, or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.” –Dr. Boyce, “The Menagerie,” (“The Cage”)

“Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.” – Mr. Spock, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Jimmbo Resident wrote:
Drewski Northman wrote:

I would have to agree with you. I have noticed on the UFS calendar on sim that there seems to be events on those grids quite regularly almost weekly. Then on Sl we just have events here and there some of which aren't actually advertised until the day before or the day of. I would imagine that when someone new comes to check out the sim and things of joining it gives us the appearance of not being that active of a group when for instance the poster for the 4th of july wasn't put up until a day before and then was up until the end of July well after the event. I do understand that it must be hard for the people making these events to juggle between the two but it does seem like the other grids get a lot more favoritism when it comes to events.
Really? There is only one other grid, and it has Starfleet Boogie on Tuesdays each week. Other than that the Colony might have something special once a month. This month was an Art Gallery Opening featuring the real life art work of a UFS member. Second Life has each week Office Hours, Tai Chi, PSI Training (Phaser Training, Space Jump, Pilot Training), plus Fantastic Friday, Promotions & Awards, UFS Town Hall. and special social events planned, organized, hosted & DJ'd by UFS members. In terms of roleplays, there are at least six a week in Second Life, and one a week currently in 3rd Rock Grid.

viewtopic.php?f=852&t=33837&p=213375#p213375

UFS Service Jacket
Lizzy Gracemount
Medical - Commodore
Medical - Commodore
Duty Post:

Poison Toocool wrote:
Jimmbo Resident wrote:

Really? There is only one other grid, and it has Starfleet Boogie on Tuesdays each week. Other than that the Colony might have something special once a month. This month was an Art Gallery Opening featuring the real life art work of a UFS member. Second Life has each week Office Hours, Tai Chi, PSI Training (Phaser Training, Space Jump, Pilot Training), plus Fantastic Friday, Promotions & Awards, UFS Town Hall. and special social events planned, organized, hosted & DJ'd by UFS members. In terms of roleplays, there are at least six a week in Second Life, and one a week currently in 3rd Rock Grid.

viewtopic.php?f=852&t=33837&p=213375#p213375
I think what Jim is saying is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of advertising inworld concerning the events until the day of or day before. Also, I don't really think there can be a correlation between rp's since 3rg has one ship and station and SL has many ships and stations. Those rp's are planned by the captains right? Or are you referring to rp on the colonies?

Return to “Commander in Chief UFS”