What would you like to see?

The Commander in Chief oversees the infrastructure of UFS as well as provides direction to all other officers on how to proceed to accomplish the goals of UFS.

Moderator: Kermie Mistwallow

Lizzy Gracemount
Emissary
Duty Post: Chose to Resign 240129
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid: 001 Second Life

Kassiequandrii Resident wrote:
I think what I'm seeing here is something I saw in an SL community I was involved in a long time ago. There was a dispute about organizational policies that led to total self-destruction: two factions emerged who thought they had the same goal, but meant completely different things by it, and the mutual misunderstanding just got worse and worse.
No, what you are seeing is members discussing and answering the question. And being listened to by the JC with hopefully open minds. There is a difference between expressing an opinion and discussion vs having an all-out flame war and conflict that fractures a group. The latter is not what you're seeing here. Members are holding a discussion, somewhat heated at times, but still it's been respectful and kind to each other.
“You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” —Bob Marley

"Set course for Relay, Warp Factor 9!" ~ Kermie

“A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on and licks it, or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.” –Dr. Boyce, “The Menagerie,” (“The Cage”)

“Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.” – Mr. Spock, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Bodan Resident
Horta
Duty Post: Resigend 231219
Ship/Station Posted:

Kassiequandrii Resident wrote:
There's no right or wrong in this, but this is why organizations put hard work into mission statements: it helps ensure there's a means/ends fit between what they want and what they do.
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. This!
Commander Bodan Landar
Starfleet Security
:flags-wavegreatbritain:
Kermie Mistwallow
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral
Duty Post: C-in-C, UF Starfleet
Ship/Station Posted: Headquarters
Grid: Second Life

Miles and I can write mission statemetns till we are bolian ..... i mean blue in the face.

What we are asking is what YOU want to see, so when we do write our mission statement we can take your concerns and suggestions into consideraton
Ulrich Bechir
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Shogun-A
Grid: Second Life

Kermie Mistwallow wrote:
Miles and I can write mission statemetns till we are bolian ..... i mean blue in the face.

>.>
Greg Esharham
Engineering - Captain
Engineering - Captain
Duty Post: Chief Engineering Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Baker

SirenaWaterdottir Resident wrote:
Langy Moorlord wrote:
re-integrate the marines into security, why do we even have that branch as a separate thing we are not in a state of war, and the only times Starfleet has used this branch is a state of war Klingon/Dominion but never in peace time.
and even then it was not officially in canon.
Whether in the Star Trek storyline, Marines are only actioned in wartime or not. In the UFS we have a different purpose and meaning. On the USS Thor, when it comes to ship based Security, I refer to the Chief of Security. If it is ground based, he takes on my advice. We all have our purpose.
Plus, having the Marines is not going to affect nor change how the UFS grows or does not grow.

What does need to happen, is maybe more advertisement inworld. Find appropriate places to stick up an advertisement board. Maybe if people started to put UFS in their Picks with the joining information. Bring back the greeters.
I think the point of the Marines for the UFS can be taken back to the beginnings of the UFS itself in second life. Well as I see our History anyway others may see it a little differently but think their existence and need to remain in the UFS fits my thinking.

Remembering this was a fleet sent to the Delta Quadrant through a worm hole that only opened randomly.

That fleet was never going to be huge and its resources in both material and personnel would be limited even those from security, who would have their hand's full manning ships and carrying out their day-to-day duties like all other UFS members would be limited in numbers.

It was always assumed that assistance from Earth and Star Fleet was never guaranteed to be provided swiftly if we needed it. We were an outpost surrounded by 1000's potential hostile civilizations and entities, possibly years away from assistance, Sort of like those small US Cavalry forts in the middle of nowhere.

For that reason, Admiral Calhoune requested a detachment of Marines be assigned to the fleet to have a combat-ready force to provide immediate protection for the colony and the UFS facilities once in the Delta quadrant.

Since then times have changed slightly and we are able to be reinforced, even though with some delay from Star Fleet. The Marines remain part of the UFS for tradition and to still carry on that role of an in-place combat force that can be deployed swiftly in defense of the UFS and its facilities.

The OOC side of that is the UFS is unique and while we follow Star Trek Canon we have also created our own parallel canon in which we have a Marine detachment and yhey still have a historical place in that canon.
Access Service Jacket

“Be thankful for problems. If they were less difficult, someone with less ability might have your job..” James A. Lovell US Astronaut, Gemini 7, Gemini 12, Apollo 8, Apollo 13
Greg Esharham
Engineering - Captain
Engineering - Captain
Duty Post: Chief Engineering Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Baker

Oh while I remember it I did want to mention a couple of things about the forum communications.

In the past I have found a very strange anomaly where I have sent msgs to people in here and for some reason they never get delivered. It's not every time maybe 1 in 10 so it's random but instead of the system sending the msg it stays in my pending box and no matter how many times I send it refuses to be delivered.

Normally it's fine as we all use so many forms of communication from Discord to in-world and email as well as here. I generally catch up with the person, But as we seem to use the Forum as the main place to advertise positions for various departments if there is a problem it would need to be fixed.

In a few cases where it happened, I have been replying to a request from a department about needing volunteers for a position or others about a project and that's the last I ever hear about it.

Look I know we are all volunteers here but I think if somebody posts a position available and they really need people to fill it then I think it's important when members apply they at least get an answer on the status of that position. Has the position or positions been filled or are they still in need of assistance?

Hard to keep people motivated if they are applying for positions that need to be filled or for assistance to help and then silence and it's several weeks later or they just never hear another word about it.

I can think of a few things that have been announced and we are told it's important or members will be kept informed and then Nothing.

Anyway, I just thought I might bring it up as you have mentioned we need to improve communications between all departments in other posts. So it is something I'd like to see.
Access Service Jacket

“Be thankful for problems. If they were less difficult, someone with less ability might have your job..” James A. Lovell US Astronaut, Gemini 7, Gemini 12, Apollo 8, Apollo 13

Return to “Commander in Chief UFS”