Before the pips, the rank and the position

The Commander in Chief oversees the infrastructure of UFS as well as provides direction to all other officers on how to proceed to accomplish the goals of UFS.

Moderator: MilesPrower Dagger

Mike Calhoun
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral
Duty Post: Commander-in-Chief UFS
Ship/Station Posted: UF Starfleet Headquarters
Grid: Unknown

Greetings Everyone,

It has been said that after calamity can come clarity so I wanted to take a few minutes to help give clarity to you, my fellow members. I want to point out that first and as the most important thing, before Fleet Admiral, before Commander in Chief, I am a member of UF Starfleet. I am here to interact with other Star Trek fans, make friends and be a nerd/geek with other fans. People need to see me as a member first, I want people to chat with me, I want to talk to people about my favorite movie, and I would love to tell everyone how Star Trek wins vs Star Wars. Many members, new and old, who started their first conversation with me and started with "Admiral" or "Sir" would have received my standard reply " its just Mike, thats my name both in SL and my real name"

When members, from Joint Chief to Civilian converse with me, I am not in the mindset of Commander in Chief, I am just talking with other members. If when talking with me I say I like an idea that doesn’t mean I am approving something, just giving my feedback. If I say I don’t like something, that is not me forbidding it to happen, it is simply my opinion. That works all the way up to the Joint Chiefs, if Rich asks if I like a class and I say no, that isn’t me denying the class it’s me saying “Not to my taste.” The same way if someone brings an activity to Kermie and he turns it down for some reason and someone asks me about it and I say I like it, that isn’t me overruling Kermie, it's me saying I like an idea.
I do understand that sometimes that line gets blurred but things in starfleet do not change by a conversation in the halls of Starfleet Headquarters...Yes, a discussion can start at the water cooler (metaphorically) but before anything gets approved or changed it needs to go through a whole procedure taking the conversation before ALL Joint Chiefs who can (if they want) their opinions, as is their job....to advice the C-in-C..

This rolls into another point I want to bring up, people need to stop coming to me to overrule COs, SCs, and JCS who are doing their jobs. Unless someone is in violation of the UF Starfleet Manuals or failing in some way to do their duty they are in their jobs for a reason. My job and my goal is not to do their jobs, it is to help them accomplish theirs in whatever way I am able. This is something even some of them need to learn, when I talk with them, I am not usually giving orders, I am usually having a discussion with another member on how we can improve things and how we can help the member. However, when a member has followed the Chain of Command, and eventually comes to me because he keeps running into walls than yes, it is my job to look into it

As the Commander in Chief it is my duty to oversee the rules and organization of the group, to work with the JCS to see us be a success, we are a team. The Joint Chiefs exist to oversee their aspects of UFS because in many instances I honestly know next to nothing about... and yes, I am especially talking about CompOps (to technical for me and UF starfleet Operations (still cant RP myself out of a wet paper bag...sorry Kermie) I don’t role play or organize activities, that is Ops’ job. The only reason I will give Kermie an “Order” is if he is failing to do something in his job or trying to break the rules of UFS. Same with every other department. Everyone enjoys their fandom in their way, and for me that is manuals, rules & regulations and trying to make the best Star Trek organization for members to enjoy their fandom.

Something I have heard recently is some members are concerned that the Commander in Chief has no accountability. This isn’t true, I am bound by the membership manual the same as everyone else. There is even a clause in the manual about what happens if I am the subject of a case or if it is felt I might be biased. I ask that if people have concerns about this they tell us how we can better lay it out for people to see and understand.

On of the most important subjects, if not the most important subject for me in UFS is membership rights, assuring that ALL members, regardless of rank, position or friendships are treated the exact same way. This is something that lies near and dear to my heart because a violation of membership rights can come back to UFS as an organization and me in particularly. I am the only member in UFS who can not walk away cause at the end, the buck stops with me, and thats how I prefer it.

For those of you that are unaware, I am a teacher (not by profession but because I love it) . I teach languages to kids from preschool to 6th grade. I speak four languages , and can ask for the bathroom, a weapon and tell someone their mother has a smooth forehead in Klingon. You know, the essentials. This is to show that you might expect that I am good at communications, and according to many I am bad at it in several key aspects. When typing I come off as very abrasive and blunt but that isn’t my intent, it is a cultural thing I have been told years ago...As some may know, I am a European Expat living in Latin America, and when I first arrived I was told by people working for me that my emails were to "European" and not enough "Latin flavored" (Latins prefer their business emails to be soft, sweet and looong rather than short and to the point)
Some people can talk in text naturally, some can do it better than with voice, I am not one of those people. I feel most people have issues conversing in text because it can’t really convey tone, and feeling like sounds can do this better..... In voice I am much better at communicating my points and my feelings than in text, I think part of it is my job but I know I have offended people completely on accident because of how I type. To those I have communicated with poorly please accept my apology and understand I didn’t do it on purpose.
In Service to United Federation Starfleet

Lunaer Brennan
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

I have seen enough and I agree with you. Who gives a darn why they left, they don't give a care to any of the members of the Fleet especially when you are only raising your opinion! Lets put some competent people in the spot and move on! We support you Mike! :geordi:
Aryela Dagger
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Executive Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Veracruz
Grid: Second Life Grid

Lunaer Brennan wrote:
I have seen enough and I agree with you. Who gives a darn why they left, they don't give a care to any of the members of the Fleet especially when you are only raising your opinion! Lets put some competent people in the spot and move on! We support you Mike! :geordi:
Unless you worked with them directly, I would highly suggest you NOT accuse people of being incompetent. Especially when they weren't. Thank you.
Access Service Jacket
-Changing something non-SJ related? E-mail wiki@ufstarfleet.org with change requests!
Mike Calhoun
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral

Who gives a darn why they left,
Well, I give a great darn as to why they left and that they left....One of them I have known for 14 years....another one for 10 years give or take a few.....so aside from the organization I do consider them friends, and I would like to think they would see me as a friend as well....I know the faces behind the avatar and so do they

Lunaer Brennan
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

Mike Calhoun wrote:
Well, I give a great darn as to why they left and that they left....One of them I have known for 14 years....another one for 10 years give or take a few.....so aside from the organization I do consider them friends, and I would like to think they would see me as a friend as well....I know the faces behind the avatar and so do they
In the end we split up work and friendship. This is a group we move on! Put people who are best at it!
Aryela Dagger
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral

Lunaer Brennan wrote:
Mike Calhoun wrote:
In the end we split up work and friendship. This is a group we move on! Put people who are best at it!
They were the best at it. That's why they were there. We worked with these people directly. That's why they're our friends. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Access Service Jacket
-Changing something non-SJ related? E-mail wiki@ufstarfleet.org with change requests!
Lunaer Brennan
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

Aryela Dagger wrote:
Lunaer Brennan wrote:
Mike Calhoun wrote:
They were the best at it. That's why they were there. We worked with these people directly. That's why they're our friends. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Regardless, its obvious they have issues with the leader of the group from their messages, means they wont be coming back. Bite the bullet and move on! UFS always does!
Aryela Dagger
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral

Lunaer Brennan wrote:
Aryela Dagger wrote:
Lunaer Brennan wrote:
Mike Calhoun wrote:
Regardless, its obvious they have issues with the leader of the group from their messages, means they wont be coming back. Bite the bullet and move on! UFS always does!
Perhaps, just *perhaps*, the issue is more complicated than that? Maybe there's issues that need to be resolved with more than just a 'move on'? :eusa-think:
Access Service Jacket
ScreaminEagles Turbo
UFSMC - Marine Captain
UFSMC - Marine Captain
Duty Post: CO Reaper Squadron
Ship/Station Posted: Pinstari HQ
Grid: Second life

I'm with the CinC and commodore Dagger they had their reasons and I know most of them as well not as well as them but still well enough to call them friends and they still are they may comeback after a time you never know so please do not go around disrespecting their work they did while here
Scottland78 Resident
Security - Commander
Security - Commander
Duty Post: UFSMC
Ship/Station Posted: USS Durant
Grid: Second Life

Ensign you may have your opinion but the CoC and my XO have known them and it is always best to be be respectful to everyone in or out of our group kindness goes a long way.
Adomsisko Resident
Command - Commander
Command - Commander
Duty Post: Unasssigned
Ship/Station Posted: Unknown

i think that a sit down with a neutral third party with everyone involved may help
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

Adomsisko Resident wrote:
i think that a sit down with a neutral third party with everyone involved may help
Wise words. These were good friends of many years and I was very sad to see this occur. I still hope some compromise can be reached... UFS is not the same without this team. They were passionate about their work and passionate about the idea that UFS should shine in every way possible.
Vice Admiral Poison Toocool | Command
-Joint Chief, UF Starfleet Communications
-CO, Denkiri Centre for Creativity
-UFS Honor Guard Commander

Delta Company Graduate 110104

UFS Service Jacket
Mike Calhoun
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral

They were passionate about their work and passionate about the idea that UFS should shine in every way possible.
I dont think there is anyone in UFS that can deny that.

Kermie Mistwallow
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral
Duty Post: Deputy CinC, UF Starfleet
Ship/Station Posted: Headquarters
Grid: Second Life

I felt like i needed to weigh in a little on this. Especially when it comes to members leaving and the cicumstances surrounding it.

Now when things happen and stories are told there are always 3 sides to a story:

- Person A's story
- Person B's Story
- The Truth

The fact is unless you where involved in the conversations directly you will be recieving 2nd or 3rd hand infomration and basiing your opions and views on that, rather than seeing all sides. This causes people to act and respond in ways that are sometimes percived as ill intent and acting on emotion.

I want to remind everyone that the reasons surround someone leaving this group is of thier own choice, noone else can make that choice for them only they can and for thier own reasons.

Which brings me to the membership manual that some points that some may need to be reminded of

1.2.4. Membership RIGHTS and RESPONSIBILITIES in UFS
a. Membership RIGHTS

* Select and change your membership status at any time.
* Terminate your membership at any time.

b. Membership RESPONSIBILITIES

* Conducting themselves in a manner that reflects positively upon United Federation Starfleet, their Sector, their Starship or Space Station, and themselves.
* Upholding themselves to standards that allow others to look upon us as role models.
* Fighting against the spread of rumors, misleading stories, and general miscommunication.
* Treating others, whether they are UFS officers, enlisted personnel, or guests, with such respect as is socially accepted, and as Starfleet officers are perceived to act.
* Acting as a team and help each other succeed.
* To offer only constructive criticism and feedback.
To respect and listen to other opinions.
To respect the rights of ALL UFS members.
To be part of the solution, not the problem.
To take and accept responsibility for your actions.
Striving for impartiality and removing themselves from situations in which they feel their judgment is compromised.

Section B is your responsibility as a UFS member, that goes for everyone, from the CInC right down to the newset member taking the entrance exam, to those that have not been active for years and choose to pop in every so often.

Remember, we are here to have fun, to respect each other and our choices, to build on friendship (whether a member or ex member). We support each other and descions made and we move forwad to find solutions to problems in a constructive way.

Be the person you want the next person to look up to, represent yourself how you want to be percieved and most of all remember that there are far too many things going on in the Real World that cause devastating outcomes to bring that negativity into a Star Trek Fangroup.

Most of all

Be Strong
Be Proud
Be UF Starfleet
Admiral
Deputy Commander in Chief

Return to “Commander in Chief UFS”