Mission "Sludge?"

Gijsjan Broek
Preserver
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid: 001 Second Life

Mission "Sludge?"

The Toxia system in the Telos sector. A huge planet which holds a multi species Warp capable society. Discovered during the Magellan project in its early days. a few years ago an expedition went to Toxia for research. A few of UFS Command was present at that time. Captain Kermie Mistwallow discovered a green goo which he calls "Sludge". Captain Kermie Mistwallow and LT. Cmdr. Elim Exonar took the first drink and they noticed some changes in themselves. Seems their DNA got changed somehow. This stuff became rapidly famous in UFS and it has lots of side effects. Too many to mention. Even today this drink is still widely used in UFS and it appears no-one ever tried to research this highly addictive and unusual drink. This mission is to find the origin and analyse this toxic drink in the Science and Medical level. Planet Toxia is infamous for its toxic atmosphere and chemical goo and also its street battles. The team must muster all its combat skills to survive this mission.

Mission Objectives:

Primairy:
- Discover the origin of the Sludge.
- Analyse the chemical composition of the Sludge.
- Invent a cure for the DNA alterations.

Secondary:
- Cultural observation.
- Avoid battles as best we can.

Crew Manifest:

Cmdr. Gijsjan Broek
LT. Cmdr. Calypso Titanium
LT. Deanna Broek
LT. Tprai Helix
LT. Buck Ghostraven
LT. Jg. Daddy Meriman
Captain Kermie Mistwallow (special guest)
Crewman Joe Duddle, Engineering (NPC)

Mission Equipment:

- 6 PHASE Emitters
- 8 Type 2 Phasers
- 8 Type 3 rifles
- 1 Auxilery battery system for PHASE system core.
- Combat uniforms
- 100 Photon grenades
- 30 Sticky wall time bombs
Captain Gijsjan Broek.
Science Officer of U.S.S. Monarch :enterprised:

"Astronomy compel the soul to look upwards, and leads us from this world to another" Plato

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
Preserver
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:

Mission preparations:

USS Magellan is fueled with Deuterium and Tritium pallets are loaded for the Fusion Reactors. 24 micro Quantum torpedo's are loaded in the Torpedo system. LT. Cmdr. JessicaClaudia Maynard added to the crew roster at her request. Weapons locker is fully stocked and sickbay is equiped with the needed resources. Launch sequence is set this monday around 11 am SLT on the roof of Pathfinder.
Captain Gijsjan Broek.

"Astronomy compel the soul to look upwards, and leads us from this world to another" Plato

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
Preserver
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:

Mission Day 1:

Today at 11:00 am SLT we took off from the roof of Pathfinder and flew into space at Full Impulse. We did receive a distress call near the asteroid field but the message was too garbled and relayed to Pinastri Prime. All systems are go and we are in transit to Toxia system at Warp 9.2. ETA: 3 days.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
Preserver
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:

Mission Day 2:

Today the good Doctor decided for mandatory medical checkups before we enter the hostile and toxic atmosphere of the planet Toxia. Buck had a mild fevor, Jess had nothing, Cali had nothing and i had an old wound in my leg acting up. In the end we all got cleared by the Doctor. Buck was licking on an ice cream and all over the sudden he mutated into a female human. Total surprise to us and he....ehm...she called herself Buckerness and a few other names. He/she went to the duty station but i ordered he/she to sickbay and let the Doctor check things out. After blood sampling and DNA alterations Buck returned to his normal self. Lets hope this is a one time incident and nothing else. Later we all had a chat in the Lounge. Still going at Warp 9.2 to Toxia system. Tomorrow we need to vent the Warp plasma conduits again.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
Preserver
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:

Mission Day 2

Dr. Deanna Broek – Medical

Computer…begin log

What started out as routine medical checkups turned into a complex DNA restructuring of one of our crew. As the Mission Captain mentioned, I ordered medical checkups due to the dangerous surroundings and substances we may encounter on the planet’s surface. Buck showed a fever and mild infection so an antibiotic was administered. He was initially cleared for duty. Calypso was brought back and other than a mild headache, she was cleared after a light dose of pain medication. Jessica’s scan was uneventful. Gijs’ old injury, a broken leg that seems to keep showing signs of re-fracture (probably due to not keeping with doctor’s orders to rest and heal) was due for another round with the osteogenic regenerator after a short-acting local anesthetic was given. Gijs was then released back to duty to be rechecked in a few days.
Soon after, Buck returned to sickbay and began a strange mutation that slowly morphed him into a female shape in a few stages. He tried to return to his duty station, but was ordered back to the biobed. After some blood sampling, DNA analysis and manipulation of the data, I was able to configure the hypospray to administer a DNA restructuring that returned Buck to his human self. He had some odd aftereffects and the culprit at this time is suspected to be related to the ice cream he was eating at the time of the mutation. The replicator is offline for now and I will begin chemical analysis of the ice cream and Crewman Duddle will perform a diagnostic on the replicator for now.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
Preserver
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:

Mission Day 3:

All systems go and what would had been a routine day turned almost into a nightmare. Buck turned into a female again and Deanna had him treated in sickbay. Seems his DNA is fluctuating somehow. During this incident the warp engines got overheated and we slowed to impulse. I went EVA in order to vent the plasma conduit. unfortunate...again the plasma cloud blew and some of the plasma got stuck in the Workerbee. Deanna beamed me to sickbay and treated my burn wounds and during that Buck went outside to finish the venting job by himself. He's partial normal again but Deanna will keep an eye on him. Jess contacted Toxia on our approach. We arrive tomorrow around 11 am SLT in the Toxia system.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
Preserver
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:

Mission Day 3

Computer…Start log

Despite my limited lab capabilities while traveling to our destination, I was able to uncover what appears to be either a serious replicator malfunction or manipulation of the ice cream that Buck ate. The properties I discovered indicate extremely high levels of hormones that do not naturally occur in ice cream. Buck’s behavior was erratic at best and his full return to his female shape happened again. I ordered him back to sickbay for more testing, blood work, another testosterone shot and an additional booster of the DNA resequencing. His shape has fluctuated and he is now in-between selves.
In the meantime, Gijs went out to work on the plasma conduit and the plasma venting resulted in some of the plasma getting inside the workerbee and injuring him. I beamed him directly to sickbay and got him onto a biobed. Despite moderate burns, radiation exposure and a good bit of pain, I sedated him for a while and got to work on treating him. After some Kelotane, Hyronalin, a dermal regenerator and some Morphenolog for pain, I let him rest and kept a watchful eye on him. Putting Jessica in temporary command of the mission, she oversaw Buck’s finishing of the venting and thankfully he was not hurt. Although concerned about his behavior, he handled the event just fine. I was able to revive Gijs with a cortical stimulator and he felt well enough to return to duty.
My intention is to submit the cultures, blood work and data to Starfleet Science upon return for their full analysis. In the meantime, the replicator has checked out OK but ice cream is off the menu for the duration of our trip.

Eng log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
Preserver
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:

Mission day 4:

Today we arrived at Toxia prime. We entered orbit at an altitude of 35000 km's up and set the ship to stealth mode meaning a low power signature. Captain Mistwallow joined us for the initial survey. We all beamed down and splitted up into small teams. Kermie showed us the bar where he found the Sludge many years ago. we took some scans and samples. Outside we found a rusted and primitive vehicle. My tricorder registred it as an automobile of the Cheetah class. About 12 years old and it runs on gas and has room for 4 persons. Suffice to say this vehicle is about to break down. Deanna and i went to a hospital and scanned the place. Then all over the sudden this Vampire showed up and wanted Deanna's blood. We both ran away but the Vampire got the better of us. He attacked Deanna and i tried to protect her but he got me and Deanna. The USS Magellan beamed us both up and i'm sedated for 24 hours. The rest of team got also beaten up and returned to the ship.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
Preserver
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:

Mission Day 4

Computer…start log

I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to write. I’m still so very weak from the attack I endured down on the planet’s surface. I can still feel the tingle from where the vampire bit me, but it’s healing. It took everything I had to treat the wounded as they arrived in sickbay, but eventually I got to sit down when everything started spinning.
…still trying to shake the anger, violent thoughts and rage I sensed down on the planet’s surface…
The team split up and I stayed with Gijs as I’m not very skilled yet with my weapons since I’m still at marksman. I felt it best to stay with him. We met up with Captain Kermie in the local bar where he remembered first encountering the sludge and I took a sample from the bar’s tap but it was only beer…no sludge. The Captain suggested we split up after leaving, which we did.
After going outside, Gijs and I walked around a bit and we saw a building marked “Emergency”. We went inside and eventually found what looked to be an old ward of some kind where patients were once kept. I sensed despair and agony and was distracted when the vampire walked in. On our covert headsets, I let him know that I was frightened of this person and had the urge to run and my senses were right. He started talking about how he meant us no ill will but he required our blood. I started to run and almost made it outside but he started attacking me…violently. Gijs tried with everything he had to stop the vampire, but he succeeded in bringing me down. I was unable to move and he bent over me and took his fill of my blood, leaving me weak, frightened and unable to move. Eventually, he overtook Gijs as well and we were both rendered unconscious. Before I passed out, I was able to manage a quick note asking the team for help and that we’d been attacked.
Thankfully, Daddy showed up and used his healing powers to revive me…it took all I had to get to Gijs and found him severely injured an unconscious in the street. I asked for an emergency beam out to sickbay and quickly got Gijs onto the biobed. His injuries were….so severe. I managed to keep it together as weak as I felt and started an infusion unit to replace his lost blood and put him under to begin surgery. The relief I felt when I discovered no damaged organs was overwhelming and I was able to finish with the autosuture…Gijs is to remain sedated for at least 24 hours…
As I was trying to relay a message to the planet’s surface to let the team know of Gijs’ condition and put Jessica in charge, I get a message that Daddy needed to be beamed out and was severely injured as well. Feeling as if I would fall down, I stumbled over to the biobed, looking over my shoulder to make sure Gijs was OK and once again began the repair to Daddy’s battered form. His kidneys were slightly damaged from the attack and he too had lost a lot of blood. Having no other option, I began another surgical procedure, but was able to repair the damage and get enough blood into him to bring him back to a stable condition. After filling Jessica in on their condition, it was all I could manage to fall into my chair and try to figure out how I was going to keep watch over Gijs and Daddy while trying to regain my own strength…
…lays her head down on her desk, exhausted, but so glad the crew is safe and wondering how we will ever be able to go back down there again…

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
Preserver
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:

Mission Day 5:

Deanna woke me up in sickbay after being sedated for 24 hours. I hope my slash wounds are healed but she put me on light duty for now. I hope that Vampire stays away from me or else............ahem. Either way, my life for my beloved Imzadi if needed. Jess, the mission XO is in command for a few days. No progress so far. Toxia is a violent place and we are not well prepared for it. We will take measures to improve our readiness.

End log.
Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
Preserver
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:

Mission Day 5

Leaving Jessica in charge and an open comm so she can let me know if there are any changes in Gijs’ medical condition, Buck, Calypso and I beamed down to the surface for more surveillance and to gather information. Buck arrived first and filled me in on the information he’d gleaned about the possible location and purveyor of the sludge. I was too ill yesterday too process the Toxian beer samples I’d obtained, but I knew I had one back on the ship. It being suspected of being the sludge itself was intriguing and I look forward to trying to analyze it upon my return. Having a suspect and possible location was more than I’d hoped when I beamed down.
In the meantime, our travels brought us back to the sight of Gijs’ and my attack yesterday, but this time I was dressed in more casual attire, matching the locals as much as I could and brandishing a purchased weapon from their weapon shop while no one was around. I felt better protected, although I wished that Gijs was with me and not sedated on the ship.
We located what is called the “Voodoo Shop”, a place across from the medical facility where we were attacked. With the vampire thankfully nowhere to be seen, we entered the Voodoo Shop and found all manner of strange things. I took samples from a bubbling cauldron of green ‘goo’ and Buck took samples of tea and cakes he found for further analysis. Buck wanted to set up a place to watch over the voodoo shop and see if the person we are looking for shows up. He found a perfect location across from the Voodoo Shop…I had to catch my breath when I saw it was the second floor of the medical facility where Gijs and I first encountered the vampire, but it was the best location.
Beaming back to the ship, glancing at the limited science lab available to me and no science officer to assist, I now have the task of trying to analyze all this data and see what I can find. I was relieved to return to the ship and find Gijs in good enough condition that I will be able to revive him and get him back to duty. Plus, I think I’m going to need to utilize his science tricorder if I’m ever going to figure out what we have found.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
Preserver
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:

Mission Day 6:

The team is taking some rest after last days events. All systems are go and everyone is in good shape.

End log.
Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
Preserver
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:

Mission Day 7:

All things are quiet for now.

End log.
Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
Preserver
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:

Mission Day 8:

Me, Deanna, Buck and Jess beamed down to the surface again. At a building we encountered a Cybernetic being who poins us to a faction. We went to that hospital again to observe that Voodoo shop but only to discover that no one was around. We walked around to look for these "Renegades" Buck mentioned. We walked in a building and we found out that spot belongs to a group calld Kindred. Someone said that their hideout is a garage. I think thats a drydock for those automobiles. At least the tricorder says it is. Later outside we saw 2 Demons, a male and a female fighting with primitive iron based axes. Seems that guy captured the woman. Crude and primitive manners they have. Near the side we found the Renegades site. Buck approached them and as i know him he succeeded in gaining their trust and he's a member of their faction now. We have an infiltrant in that group now. Jess talked to a winged lady near a light pole. Buck walked outside the garage and beamed back to the USS Magellan. Me, Deanna and Jess went to that Voodoo shop again. I scanned that caldron with that toxic goo and the weird circle. We all beamed back to the ship.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
Preserver
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:

Mission Day 8

Computer…Start log

With Gijs finally being fully recovered, we were finally able to beam down together with Buck and show him the Voodoo Shop and our covert observation location across from the shop. Having access to Gijs’ science tricorder proved very valuable later during data analysis. We did our best to blend in with the locals and were well armed again...thankfully we didn't need to use our weapons this time.
Taking the data from Gijs’ science tricorder, the samples from the Voodoo Shop’s cauldron and the Toxian beer I took from the bar, I spent the better part of the time after returning from the planet’s surface analyzing the collective data. I was not surprised to discover that the substance in the cauldron is in fact Sludge in its developmental form and the Toxian beer is Sluge in a more refined, almost ‘watered down’ version. The samples of the tea that Buck provided didn’t show any traces of Sludge, but there were compounds in it that will need to be taken back to a more complete lab at Starfleet for further analysis.
Now that Buck has joined one of the local factions, his infiltration into the group will give us much more valuable information than we could have gleaned on our own. Getting to the source and creator of the sludge is what we really need to discover the ingredients so we can find out why so many are being affected in different ways and maybe even one day find a way to reverse its effects.

End log

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket

Return to “Intelligence Branch Archives”