USS T-Durant Mission, TDRP031: "Mr'arr" (170805)

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We support UFSA as much as we can and we provide mentorship to the JOOP & CGSD graduate programs.
We roleplay in-world on a drop-in and scheduled basis. We also add to our history and environment by writing RP Narratives, Mission Logs & Personal Stories for the UFS forum.
Inspired by the ship's namesake, the late Admiral Taylorholic Durant, crew members work to exemplify the behaviour, actions & vision of United Federation Starfleet in everything they do. Our first rule: to be kind to one another. And have fun.
Please note we practice Post Order (P.O.) and One Post in our Roleplays. For further info, contact the C.O.!

Roleplay Times: Tue 1800, Wed 1130, Sun 1130 SLT

Commanding Officer: Commodore Poison Toocool
Executive Officer: Commodore Cheryl Skinstad

Moderators: Cheryl Skinstad, Poison Toocool

Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: SL

USS TAYLORHOLIC DURANT
SHIP'S LOG
--------------

GAMMA SHIFT 170803.01

Current Mission: Scientific Exploration Sector 005G (D’Noria)
Current Speed: Warp 8
Trajectory: 293 Mark 24
Communications: Subspace Over 2 Sectors
Long Range Sensors: Operational
Short Range Sensors: Operational
Shields: Available
Weapons: Off Line
Transporters: Off Line
Power Allocations: Normal, Priority to Astrometrics
Life Support: Optimal
Training: Drills in Cargo Bay Two.

Concerns and Notations:
- asteroid belt extends from Pinastri to D’Noria Sector, helm and science report a gravimetric pull, slight course adjustment and increase in speed negated this effect;
- diagnostics commenced on transporters;
- engineering teams checking shuttles are ready for deployment;
- science preparing astrometric and anthropologic reports;
- Senior Staff Breakfast Briefing 170804.0730, Conference 1.

In Service,
Commander Russell Sprout
OOW Gamma
Operations

==================================
USS TAYLORHOLIC DURANT
LCARS

-------

Quadrant Sector Map

http://www.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.p ... Sector_Map

Previous Missions:
"A Curious Matter" - viewtopic.php?f=885&t=29821
"Back in Action" - viewtopic.php?f=885&t=29797
Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral

RP LOG 170805
==============

Commodore Poison Toocool stepped swiftly through the doors from her Ready Room. The XO was taking a well deserved rest. It would be some time before they arrived at the border between Pinastri and D'Noria sectors. Science had been calibrating astrometrics for special observation of the planetary system that was the Durant's first port of call. Toocool took a quick glance around the bridge, nodding at Zania, before heading to the captain's chair. "Helm, report,” she said as she passed Razofen.

Ensign Riordan Razorfen: “Commander, we are one and a half light years from D'Noria. There is a bit of a gravimetric pull, but I have adjusted course and speed to compensate.”

Petty Officer Coil steps out of the turbo with a quick look at the viewscreen. He notices the Captain is on the bridge and an odd look passes over his face. "Transferring Engineering to bridge," he says by way of a report, moving to his console and punching some buttons. The display springs to life.

Commodore Zania Turner taps her console as she slaves the operations systems into her panel as well, taking care to monitor not only the power flow, but also other requests throughout the ship in addition to communications. "All systems operating normally, sir. The update to the translator is proceeding as normal."

Lieutenant Junior Grade Evelyn Rieko stifles a yawn, thinking she should not have stayed up so late, after going off duty, but her new friend is so much fun. Looks to the Commodore, "Astrometrics are calibrated sufficiently, Sir, and I am performing long range scans of the area...I will have a report for you in a few minutes.."

Toocool: "Thank you Mr Razorfen," she frowns slightly. "A gravimetric pull? From what source?" She listens to the various other reports. "Thank you Mr Zania. It will be interesting to work with the new translator. How many languages is it now?" She sits down at last, always more comfortable standing on the bridge but guesses that most people are intimidated by her looming over their consoles while they are working. Yeoman T'Pino enters, bringing her a PADD and a container of tea. Toocool takes both with a nod, then looks sharply at Evelyn when she detects a yawn.

Razorfen smiles at Rieko. "I would offer you some coffee, but as it turns out, I don't drink it." He scans the screen. "The gravimetric pull is originating somewhere with the asteroid belt ahead. Sir, the pull is increasing. Adjusting speed and course. At this rate Captain, pretty soon I will not be able to compensate enough to keep on course."

Coil grimaces as his hands fly over the console. "What the dev..." he says half to himself, muttering. "Confirming what Helm says Sir. Warp engines are feeling an effect, and it's only going to get worse while we are near them rocks," he takes a deep breath.

Turner heard that and frowned inwardly. "Sir, I'd recommend maybe modifying the deflector dish to act as a repulsor so we can try to push asteroids out of our way that we can't avoid. At worse, it might slow us down so we can avert a head on collision."

Rieko: “My sensor readings show collisions between the asteroids in the belt, which can cause asteroids to dramatrically shift positions...so far none are on a collision course with the Durant, Sir.”

Toocool puts the PADD she was reading down on her lap. Tension is rising on the bridge, she would know that even without the reports coming her way. "Problem is we can't really go around the belt... it's so wide it would add days to our journey. And we haven't even left Pinastri Sector yet. The closest end of the belt is in Sector 006H. That's a restricted zone. So we either go spinward for several days or we go forward." She looks up at the view screen, nodding at Evelyn. "Then we might get through it unscathed." After a moment she says, "Get the deflector ready, Mr Turner."

Razorfen: "Sir, we are receiving a subspace message. It's a distress signal, sir." He turns to the Captain. "It's coming from within the asteroid belt."

Coil is deeply engrossed in checking the effects of the gravimetric force on the ship's engines. "We might want to slow down before we hit the belt, Sir," he says slowly, half thinking about the calibrations he was doing to adjust for the belt's effect, and half knowing he needed to say something. "We have power for the deflector." At helm's report he looks up at the screen with concern.

Turner heard about the distress call and tapped her console. She looked at the Commodore curiously. "Confirmed. We are getting a distress call from within the asteroid belt. Putting it on screen now and preparing the deflector dish to aid us with the belt." She pressed a few more buttons on her console to work on those two tasks.

Rieko frowns and scans the asteroid belt for the third time, "Sir, there is interference with my scans..It is difficult to detect if there are lifeforms inside of the asteroid belt..I will try recalibrating the scanners."

Toocool: "A message?" she perks up, looking to Zania. "From whom?" Suddenly the hair on the back of her neck raises. "Yellow alert," she says sharply.

Helm officer B'Troli enters the bridge, and silently moves to stand behind Razorfen, ready to take over.

Razorfen nods at Ensign B'Troli. "I assume my duty has ended. Time flies when we're having fun." He concedes his seat. "Good luck." With that, he will take the turbo to his quarters.

Coil frowns. "Full power available to deflector dish," he reports. "I recommend reducing speed. We're having a problem with the gravimetric effect. It might affect our shields, but all we can do is try." He pushes a button, then nods, "shields up. For now."

Turner taps her console and looks at the information. "So far, I'm not getting any identifiers to tell who the message is from. I'm starting to get some fluctuations in the communications grid. I don't know if it's related to the asteroid belt and the gravimetrical pull."

B’Troli: "Helm is sluggish Sir. I concur with Engineering, a reduction in speed is warranted."

Rieko: “Sir, there is still interference with the scanners...there are fluctuations... no information from the asteroid belt but I do have a few readings that came through about the M Class planet.... it has a colony of 72,300 lifeforms, Sir.”

Toocool leans forward. "Alright. Reduce speed to warp one. Helm, time to asteroid belt. Engineering, can you beef up the sensors, we need to know what we're dealing with. Mr Zania, would a probe assist? Tactical, stand by on weapons. If we need to shoot an asteroid, have your firing solutions ready." She pauses for a moment. "A colony? I was unaware of that. According to my information, the system is uninhabited." She frowns. "I need more info on this distress call. We need to know the origin." She looks up at the screen, mystified as to why the message has not yet appeared. "Mr Turner, what does the signal say?"

Coil: "Doing my best Captain Sir. I can compensate for some of the gravimetric interference, but the closer we get, the worse it's gonna be. I'm rotating shield harmonics as it is."

Turner continues to tap her console upon hearing the request. "It seems to be audio only, sir. Video is blocked and the gravitational pull of the asteroids is interfering with the possibility of video transmission. It seems to be originating from a small area on the surface of the largest asteroid. It's hard to tell at this range if it's a settlement, or a crashed ship."

B’Troli responds: "Reducing speed to warp one, aye. At this speed and at current heading, we will reach the belt in ten minutes Sir. I confirm what science is saying about sensors... however it does appear that our current trajectory is in line with the source of the signal. The largest asteroid is dead ahead. At this speed, assuming no other problems, fifteen minutes to transporter range."

Rieko combs her fingers through her hair as she does when puzzled or nervous, "Sir, the interference is affecting my readings.Scanning the largest asteroid my readings showed no life forms, then six life forms, and now no life forms.

Toocool: "Steady as she goes Helm. Engineering, keep those shields up." She turns to Zania, "I take it they are requesting assistance? Do we know why?"

Coil: "Doing my best Captain."

Turner looked to the Commodore and explained, "The audio itself has a lot of interference, but from what I can tell it is a request for assistance. I just can't determine if it's a live request, or a recording on a repeated loop."

B’Trol: "Maintaining course two three one, mark one two. Warp one. ETA to asteroid belt five minutes. ETA to signal source nine point five minutes."

Rieko: Sir, I regret I have no relative information at this time..the scans continue to fluctuate.. lifeforms and then no lifeforms...I assume it is from the interference.

Toocool nods to Zania. "Prepare a class one probe with appropriate shielding, launch when ready. Helm, bring us to ten thousand kilometers and drop to impulse. Mr Rieko, work with operations to configure the probe for optimal scanning."

Coil says, "Captain shields are now at eighty percent. I have managed to find an algorithm that is helping them maintain their strength, but I can't get them to full power while we are this close to the belt."

Turner heard about preparing a probe and nodded. "Aye, sir. Working on the configuration now. The probe should be ready to launch in two minutes." She looked at the readings from the communication and pointed out, "It seems to be from a small outpost, sir. They are there to study the gravimetric forces of the asteroids and they've declared a state of emergency. It seems to be medical in nature, from what I can tell from the broken communication."

B’Trol: "We are now ten thousand kilometers and closing. Reducing to full impulse, now." She taps the console. "Scans are intermittent but there does appear to be a clear path between us at the outpost asteroid."

Rieko assisted in preparing the probe for optimal scanning, "Sir, the probe is ready and shielded. We are confident the shielding will hold. Ready to launch at your command, Sir."

Toocool: "Launch probe. Mr Turner, ensure that telemetry is fed to both helm and science. Contact Medical and have them standing by."

Coil: "Gravimetric effects on systems increased, compensating the best we can." He turns for a moment, "Captain, assuming we need to assist those people... I do not recommend transporters."

Turner looked at the data on the probe and pressed a button. "Modifications completed sir. Launching probe." She then tapped a few other commands to send messages to sickbay to prepare for response with the medical emergency. "Relaying message to Sickbay now, sir. They'll be on standby."

B’Troli: "Receiving data from Operations, Sir. We are now entering the belt. We will reach transporter range of the outpost within three minutes."

Rieko: "Sir, the information from the probe shows the life signs on the asteroid are the same as the life signs from the planet…." turns and looks at the Captain, " They appear to be Ferasen."

=^=
Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral

Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral

USS TAYLORHOLIC DURANT
SHIP'S LOG
Stardate: 170805.1230
Ship Location:
10 LY Coreward Pinastri, Asteroid Belt
Ship Status: Yellow
Ship Mission: Science Study, D'Noria
==============================

We were some distance from the Pinastri/D'Noria sector border when we entered the large asteroid belt we had been tracking for some time. We were having some issues with gravimetric eddies within the belt, affecting communications, sensors and shields. As we were working to compensate, we received a distress call. After some difficulty, we were able to ascertain it was coming from some kind of a small outpost on the largest asteroid. We were unable to establish exactly how many life signs were in the outpost as readings varied. Science determined that the life signs we could detect were Ferasen.

=^=
Evelyn Rieko
Sciences - Lt Commander
Sciences - Lt Commander
Duty Post: Chief Science Officer
Grid: Second Life Grid

USS TAYLORHOLIC DURANT
NCC 780304 Vesta Class
STARDATE: 170805
================

VICE CHIEF SCIENCE OFFICER'S LOG

On our way to the planet D'Noria we had to travel through an Asteroid Belt. As we maneuvered through the Asteroid belt, we received a distress signal. There was a lot of interference when we scanned, so Commodore Toocool ordered a probe. We sent the probe into the area and data we received showed the life forms on the planet and on the large asteroid are Ferasen.

Anthropology Report
Ferasans are a genetically engineered feline species from Ferasa Prime that split off of the Caitian race 800 years ago.
Unlike Caitians, Ferasans are saber-toothed and some have telepathic abilities. They are bipedal, have tails that assist their balance, extended maxillary canine teeth and large eyes with excellent night vision. Their skin is covered with a soft fur coat, and their felinoid ears can pick up frequencies that most humanoids are unable to detect. Some Ferasans have telepathic abilities.

The Ferasans and Caitians were once a unified species, but an extensive genetic engineering program has greatly modified the Ferasan genome. Ferasans consider themselves to be superior to Caitians.
Ferasan society is dominated by clans of inter-related family groups who band together for defense and conquest. Loyalty is highly prized among Ferasans.
(STO Wiki)

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”