USS T-Durant Mission TDRP1744: "Achilles Heel" (Task Force Phoenix 191103)

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We support UFSA as much as we can and we provide mentorship to the JOOP & CGSD graduate programs.
We roleplay in-world on a drop-in and scheduled basis. We also add to our history and environment by writing RP Narratives, Mission Logs & Personal Stories for the UFS forum.
Inspired by the ship's namesake, the late Admiral Taylorholic Durant, crew members work to exemplify the behaviour, actions & vision of United Federation Starfleet in everything they do. Our first rule: to be kind to one another. And have fun.
Please note we practice Post Order (P.O.) and One Post in our Roleplays. For further info, contact the C.O.!

Roleplay Times: Sun 11:15 SLT

Commanding Officer: Poison Toocool
Executive Officer: Evelyn Rieko

Moderators: Greenlantern Excelsior, Evelyn Rieko, Poison Toocool

Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commander
Command - Commander
Duty Post: Executive Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

=====OOC======
DURANT MISSION TDRP1744
Sun November 3, 2019
OOC Preparation
==============

STARDATE: 191103
GUEST CALL TIME: 1100 SLT
CREW CALL TIME: 1115 SLT
LOCATION TO MEET: Durant
RP LOCATION: Bridge
MISSION LEAD/GM: Cmdr Evelyn Rieko

WHAT TO WEAR:
UFS Duty Uniform
Combadge HUD - YES
Tactical/Marine Security - phaser -Yes
Medical/Science - tricorders - Yes
EQUIPMENT - No

WHAT TO KNOW:
-the ship is: in the D'Noria Sector
-the alert level is: red

You should have read:
USS T-Durant Mission TDRP1743: "Romulan Conflict"
http://forums.ufstarfleet.org/viewtopic ... 85&t=31636

POST ORDER: Will be decided, and posted, by the Mission Leader just prior to mission start (and sometimes adjusted in the RP if necessary).
MISSION TIME: Please be ready & prepared & in place for RP to start at 1130 SLT

IC PREMISE: The Delta Quadrant Romulans have captured Pinastri! They are now in control of the UFS Headquarters SS Peedy Thor and the UFS Academy. Many evacuated but everyone is not accounted for. The Durant was away on a Diplomatic Mission when the war started. We are at the present time doing our part in this war by battling a Romulan ship that sought us out in the D'Noria Sector.

The Durant is at the present time in a battle with the Romulan Warbird Raikai, Commanded by Commander Teres. Teres demanded Durant's surrender, but Cmdr Rieko suggested a peace talk. Teres will not negotiate. The Durant Science has reported the Romulan Vessel is Scimitar class, and bristling with Reman Technology. The ship has an advanced cloaking device that can not be penetrated without a telepath, and they can fire cloaked!

This Scimitar class ship sounds invincible, but Cmdr. Rieko believes nothing is perfect, there must be some weakness, some small imperfection the Durant can use to defeat the Warbird if the Durant can survive long enough to find it!
Cmdr. Evelyn Rieko
Executive Officer | USS Taylorholic Durant
Squadron Mentor | UFSA Halley Squadron
Director | UFSA Activities

http://ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.php?t ... elyn_Rieko]Access
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant

CAST OF CHARACTERS
=================

Evelyn Rieko (Commander), XO/Chief Science
Nems Darkstar (Lt), Helm ((Knightspet))
Hal Jordan (Commodore), Tactical ((GreenLantern Excelsior))
Leni (Lieutenant Commander), Science ((Leninah))

Left to right: Jordan, Rieko, Leni, Darkstar
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

RP NARRATIVE
===========

Evelyn Rieko paced in front of the Captain's chair. "A Scimitar Romulan ship....why did it have to be a Scimitar?!" Science Office Lieutenant Leni had reported on its superior shields and weaponry. If she remembered correctly Commander LaForge of the Enterprise was quoted as saying this shielding was perfect! They could fire while the shields were up. The Scimitar ship had fired on them, but not with full force. It seemed the Romulan ship was playing with them like a cat plays with a mouse before the kill. She looks around the bridge "Reports everyone!"

Nems Darkstar: "Commander, Helm is at optimal condition. The Romulan ship is holding its position for the moment. I'm ready to perform evasive maneuvers when necessary, Sir."

Hal Jordan fires another round of phasers and photon torpedoes at the warbird, still relentlessly targeting her forward shield. "Romulan forward shield is now down to 39 percent. Our starboard shield took another hit. It's back down to 80 percent. When she loses shields, shall I destroy her, or fire to disable her propulsion?" An evil grin plasters itself across his face as he waits a few more seconds for the phaser banks to recharge. Another disruptor blast hits Durant's starboard shield with the distinctive disruptor BONNNG sound, and the ship trembles.

Leni continues feverishly analysing the data from the scans of the Romulan vessel, despite the regular rocking of the ship as we take enemy fire, seeking out any corroboration of what she hoped was a flaw such as the XO was looking for. The thought of Pinastri in flames and the cadets and other staff and what might be happening to them urging her on in her efforts and determination to prove this was going to work. She reports in between flashing fingers across the console working multiple feeds "Working on it Sir, might be something here, I just need a few more minutes!"

Rieko: "Good, Lieutenant Nems, we will definitely be needing those evasive maneuvers." Looks at Lieutenant Leni, "I hope we have a few minutes. Commodore Jordan, fire to disable their propulsion, and shields. No matter how invincible they seem, we will keep trying to find a way to disable them and if necessary destroy them. They must have a weakness. Their shields are down to 39 percent! I thought that would be impossible. We have hurt them already!"

Darkstar: "Yes of course Commander, on your command will use evasive maneuvers." Pays close attention to the Romulan ship, seems odd to myself that it is holding steady. Starts to think strongly about everyone back on Pinastri hoping that they are okay. Friends, Families, and Crew members. Shakes his head and stops thinking about them to concentrate on exactly what is happening right this minute.

Jordan looks at the last few disruptor hits, and a worried look crosses his face. "Captain, I believe the Romulans are changing their disruptor frequencies to try to find our shield frequency. Their disruptors got weaker and then stronger. The last hit dropped our starboard shield to 72 percent. I will start rotating our shield frequencies to compensate for their tactics." He fires all the ship's forward phasers and three photon torpedoes, hitting the warbird right on her beak. "Romulan forward shield is now at 32 percent. They're trying to reinforce it, but we're hitting them too hard for that. Acknowledged, I will fire to disable." Jordan is secretly glad for the order not to destroy the warbird. The Romulans are military people in the same way as the Durant crew members. They are all just doing their jobs the best way they can. No need to kill off the Romulan bridge crew or their Engineering staff just to score some winning points. Besides, they would probably self destruct rather than be captured. It is the Romulan way.

Leni: "Sir! The Scimitar class is a relatively new sophisticated design. There haven't been many head to heads with this type of vessel and the only two weaknesses we know of are the hull isn't that thick, which given its primary and secondary shields is only an exploitable vulnerability when it has its shields down. The second is that the artificial singularity used to power the ship can be destroyed with as little as a phaser, if you can get close enough to it. I really think I may have found a key to opening up one or both of those opportunities, just give me one more minute!" Looking over to Tactical: "What's the most powerful weapon we have and when can you have as many of those as you can ready to launch?"

**The Raikai fires torpedoes on the Durant!!! On the starboard side...and concentrated barrage of torpedoes at the Durant's warp core!!***

Rieko: "Tactical, lock phasers on their shields, weaponry, and propulsion simultaneously!! Fire!!"

Rieko: "Damage report!"

Darkstar: "Commander, the Romulan ship is moving slowly, do not see it remaining steady at this time." Feeling the damage being hit onto the ship as he tries to hold steady as he feels the ship rocking. Takes a deep breath, as he says "Commander shall I release the evasive maneuvers, Sir?"

Jordan bounces slightly as the warbird fires disruptors again. That hit was much more gentle, possibly confirming his theory about rotating shield frequencies. But then she fires torpedoes, which crash into the starboard shield, knocking Durant around. He fires phasers as directed, and throws four more photon torpedoes at the forward shield. He looks at his displays, puzzled. "Sir, their forward shield is up to 72 percent now. They seem to have been baiting us by running it at low power. It's possible that their disruptor banks were on low power too." He listens to the question from the Science Officer and looks at his weapons board. "We have quantum torpedoes available right now. Sir, request permission to gift the Romulans with 6 or 8 of them."

Leni: "What I'm seeing now looking at the shield energy fields may be a defect in this specific ship, or caused by the battle at Pinastri or as a result of the sustained fire it's taking from our phasers, there isn't enough data to ascertain which however, it looks like a small variance is now occurring in the harmonics of the primary and secondary fields. I'm just calculating now but my theory is that if they know about this they will have to power both sets of shields down to reset for a few seconds, and if they don't they will collapse after the resonance has built up sufficiently. Either way, there is likely to be a gap where they will be without shields and that may present us with our only chance to exploit one or other of the vulnerabilities. I just don't yet know how often this happens, minutes, hours, days, weeks, that's what I'm calculating now and the current build-up and rate."

Rieko: "Helm, the next time Tactical fires, use evasive maneuver Picard Alpha 453!!" She turns, listening to Commander Leni, her eyes narrow and a slow smile curves her lips. "A defect in the shield harmonics, and they will have to power both sets of shields down to repair it. We have to be ready to fire those Quantum torpedoes in those seconds they will need to repair.!" She turns to Tactical, "Good work, Commodore, I'm sure your phasers and torpedoes helped to cause that variance in their shields!! Science, waiting for your calculations report!" She sits in the Captain's Chair. "So...there is an Achilles heel after all!"

Darkstar: "Yes, Commander" as he waits for Tactical to fire, holding steady as he keeps an eye on the Romulan ship. Still thinking about everyone back on Pinastri wondering if they are okay.

Jordan listens to the Science Officer's analysis of the Romulan shield problems. "The best time for them to push RESET on their shield system would be right after hitting us with a big load of disruptor and torpedo fire. While we are picking ourselves up off the deck, they can lower shields for a few seconds. Little do they suspect that we will be ready for them." He locks the quantum torpedo launchers on their shield emitters, disruptor banks, and impulse engines, then fires phasers, raking them down the port side of the warbird. "It really is a lovely design for a ship. It would be a shame to see it explode into tiny pieces."

Leni: "OK, so bad news is the build-up rate is slow so won't occur more than every 4hrs, but the good news is that we have 12 minutes before the next reset will occur. Either we need to time a very very powerful quantum torpedo salvo to hit the ship at the exact moment their shields are down and hope they aren't expecting that, or transport an away team on-board in the engine room and take out the artificial singularity directly, however that could be a one way trip if things don't go perfectly." Pausing for a respectful moment before continuing in a less excited and more sombre tone. "It is exactly that sort of move that cost Commander Data his life. With your permission, Sir, Ensign Sarix is on her way to the bridge, just in case the IRW Raikai decides to turn the cloak on while it resets its shields and hides from us at the key moment. I'll brief her when she gets here."

Rieko: "Commander Leni, yes, have Ensign Sarix come to the bridge and brief her. I'm surprised the Raikai has not used their cloak yet! They will probably use it when they attempt to repair their shields so the Ensign will be needed if that happens!" She runs her fingers through the ends of her hair and continues. " No need to send an away team to destroy the artificial singularity. We should be successful in damaging the ship severely with quantum torpedoes when their shields are down! Tactical, lock on to their shields and warp core and be ready to fire as soon as Science says that ship is vulnerable! Then, Helm, use the maneuver Picard Alpha 453. That maneuver will take us up and above and away from the enemy ship."

*** the Raikai suddenly cloaks***

Darkstar: As he hears the Commander, "Yes Sir, right away." He turns quickly to the Commander and says, "Sir the Romulan ship has cloaked!"

Jordan raises both eyebrows as Science mentions the cloak. He had completely forgotten about their cloaking device. Engaging their cloak would allow them to drop their shields at will, without Durant knowing about it. He targets one quantum torpedo on what he believes is their cloaking emitter, just to be sure. Durant rocks again as a single Romulan torpedo smashes into their starboard shield. He returns the greeting by firing two photon torpedoes at their forward shield and directing multiple phaser hits at random shield locations, hoping to destabilize them as much as possible. All the while, he is holding tight to the Tactical panel and standing with knees flexed, waiting for their big attack. "Our starboard shield is holding at 65 percent. Romulan forward shield is also at 65 percent. Quantum torpedoes are locked on and ready to fire."

Leni ushers Ensign Sarix to the secondary science console and quickly briefs her on the situation, asking she tries to focus on where the Romulans are at all times in case the cloak is activated and shows her where to enter the coordinates at the console. "5 minutes to the window opening! Are we ready with the torpedoes? I'll signal as soon as their shields reset and go down with a 'NOW' signal, not very original but accurate nonetheless, if they're cloaked, Ensign Sarix will punch over coordinates to tactical ahead of that. You will only have a maximum of 2.4 seconds to hit them before their shields are back up again and I fear we won't last another four hours to wait for the next window!" Looks in earnest at Ensign Sarix as she hears and sees the cloaks activate. "Are you OK with this, Ensign?" Pauses over the console readings, looking with such intense focus at the readings from the shields of the Scimitar class Warbird, her eyes flickering as soon as the spikes start to drop. "Ok, ready any moment I think its about to go down! Ready ! ... Ready! ..." Checking the timing a few more seconds only to go. Glancing at Ensign Sarix, who nods in confirmation, no words being necessary, well that and she's half Betazoid I guess! Her attention captivated once again by the display. Nerves starting to compete with fear as the expected moment comes and unbelievably goes and the shields seem to spike up again! Almost despairing, heart fallen for a period less than half a second but which appears to pass in slow motion before the spikes suddenly drop off completely! And she screams "..NOW !" Ensign Sarix immediately punches the co-ordinates across to tactical as we hold our breath!"

Rieko looks to Science and nods to Ensign Sarix as the Ensign looks to her and then focuses on the reason she is here. Rieko waits tensely for the Ensign to send the coordinates to Tactical and when that is done, he will fire!! And end this. She thinks back on Pinastri now. She can't believe Romulans are now in possession of it. She knows UFS will not accept such a monumental defeat and we will take back Pinastri. We must and we will. Just as the Durant is taking down this formidable, invincible Scimitar vessel. She feels confident and says, "There is always an achilles heel!" She looks to Tactical and knows Tactical is ready and helm is ready with the maneuver.

Darkstar starts to use Maneuver Picard Alpha 453 as he moves the ship carefully and swiftly up, above, and away from the enemy's ship. The Durant doesn't need any more damage. Continues to move the ship to where it will be safe as he holds it steady without scratching anything.

Jordan watches as the warbird disappears from the viewscreen and his tactical scanner. Receiving the warbird's location data from Science, his finger stabs down on the preprogrammed quantum torpedo barrage. He watches as the torpedoes fly toward their targets, smiling as each torpedo bursts into a bright white explosion. The warbird decloaks, probably involuntarily, and begins to spin slowly in a clockwise direction. "Well it's not good to be them right now. Standing by on phasers in case they're playing dead, but they appear to be totally out of commission."

Leni: Sits back and watches the displays as the salvo is released and headed towards its invisible target before the warbird re-appears, looking broken but not destroyed. "YES!" she yells!! "For Pinastri!!"

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

MISSION IMAGES
=============

Evelyn Rieko (Commander), XO/Chief Science

Nems Darkstar (Lt), Helm ((Knightspet))

Hal Jordan (Commodore), Tactical ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Leni (Lieutenant Commander), Science ((Leninah))

The battle rages - Red Alert!

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”