USS T-Durant Mission TDRP1741: “Invite to New Ferasa" (191013)

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We support UFSA as much as we can and we provide mentorship to the JOOP & CGSD graduate programs.
We roleplay in-world on a drop-in and scheduled basis. We also add to our history and environment by writing RP Narratives, Mission Logs & Personal Stories for the UFS forum.
Inspired by the ship's namesake, the late Admiral Taylorholic Durant, crew members work to exemplify the behaviour, actions & vision of United Federation Starfleet in everything they do. Our first rule: to be kind to one another. And have fun.
Please note we practice Post Order (P.O.) and One Post in our Roleplays. For further info, contact the C.O.!

Roleplay Times: Sun 11:15 SLT

Commanding Officer: Rear Admiral Poison Toocool
Executive Officer: Commander Evelyn Rieko

Moderators: Evelyn Rieko, Greenlantern Excelsior, Poison Toocool

Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: SL

CAPTAIN'S LOG
STARDATE 191007
------------------

The die is cast. Upon receipt of an invitation from the Ferasan, C'Tresirr M'Grash, to attend his confirmation ceremony as leader of his Delta Quadrant colony, my orders came down.

Our past experience the D'Noria Sector - none too far from Pinastri - adds to the growing concern that has been reported by other ships in the Fleet. Rumors. A sense that something as yet tangible is making a move. When last we met Mr M'Grash, we encountered a small number of odd Klingons. Klingons that had been somehow genetically altered. Something no honourable Klingon would allow. And our data, although scarce, suggested they had been engineered to have the guile of the Romulan and the brute strength of the Klingon. After we assisted M'Grash to return to his planet, our data was so fractured and small that it was probably just stored away for some future brief. Yet, we do know that our then First Officer, Admiral Skinstad, was at one point abducted and those kidnappers attempted to 'sell' her to a Romulan. Time has passed since then - over a year. And with no other reports all this seemed isolated. Something to keep an eye on.

Something's changed. And this diplomatic mission has two objectives: put me back in charge of the flagship, and, have me question the Ferasans about their possible contacts with Romulans.

My shuttle leaves at 0500 hours. I have dispatched my orders to Captain Hode. He can return to Pinastri aboard the same shuttle. Whether he wishes to retire or no, at present he will be given command of a small patrol vessel to assist in the covert surveillance of Pinastri Sector borders. I will now prepare instructions for my new XO.

I trust the Durant is now ship shape and ready for action. I understand Mr Rieko is a go getter. Better be. I will not stand for any slacking on my watch.

Toocool out.
Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Grid: SL

====ENCRYPTED COMMUNIQUE BEGINS====

TO: CMDR E. RIEKO, COMMAND
STARDATE: 191008

SUBJECT: USS TAYLORHOLIC DURANT COMMAND

Number One. Stand by to receive my shuttle at 1800 hours 191009. Farewell to Captain James T. Hode in Lounge 1830 hours. Hode to disembark at 1900 hours. Inspection will commence 1915. All department chiefs to report for Briefing at 2000 hours with status reports, all departments. Battle drill Marine teams 2100. All pilots to commence readiness routines 191009.0000 hours. Communications to be manned by experienced crew 24-7. Further orders at Briefing. Acknowledge.

====ENCRYPTED COMMUNIQUE ENDS====
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

CAST OF CHARACTERS
=================

Evelyn Rieko (Cmdr), XO/Chief Science
S'Prin, Cmrrir of colony New Ferasa ((GreenLantern Excelsior))
Leni (Lt Cmdr), Science ((Leninah))
M'Grash, new C'Mow of colony K'Grell ((Poison Toocool))
Nems Darkstar (Lt), Security ((Knightspet))

Left to right: Leni, S'Prin, M'Grash, Rieko. Not shown: Darkstar
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

RP NARRATIVE
===========

Evelyn Rieko beams down to New Ferasa leading the diplomatic away team. So much has happened so quickly aboard the Durant. RADM Toocool is back and Captain Hode has left in the shuttle that brought the Admiral She will miss Jim greatly. She still feels emotional after saying goodbye to him privately in sickbay, then she had to smile along with everyone giving Jim well wishes at his farewell party. That was only 30 minutes, but the crew wished him well, and off he went. She focused on the present, on now. as the lights from the teleport faded she looked around. It was an interesting village. She said to her team, "Commander Leni and Lieutenant Nems, we are her as a diplomatic team, as you know, but there has been data about an uprising of dangerous Romulans in the Delta Quadrant so stay alert."

C'mrrir S'Prin listens as the hairless aliens appear on the planet's surface. Although they arrived some distance away, with the characteristic whine of their space transport device, his nostrils flare as their scent arrives on the breeze. But he blinks and dismisses any feeling of irritation. He is determined to face this day with honor, to assist M'Grash to inspire loyalty among the colonists, his friends. Looking at M'Grash, he notices the flaring of nostrils there too. No need to mention the obvious, then. "Do you think they will require assistance to climb up the hill?"

Leni looks around the landing point at the scenery, taking stock and note, and then checks her uniform to make sure everything is correct for a diplomatic mission. This one didn't get much use lately but still had acquired a few fresh cake crumbs which she dusted off ... well, maybe not so much dusting off as finishing off and smoothing out the potential marks. Having read the briefing, the goings on in the D'Noria sector were very worrisome. A Klingon Romulan hybrid would indeed be a foe to be reckoned with, but probably she thought one with few allies. Anyway, her thoughts of that dissipating as she acclimatises to the surroundings and the gathering event and wonders if there would be a change in leader this year and whether that would be good or bad.

M'Grash stood in the place of the Gathering. At long last. Two years ago at this time, his opportunity to be C'mow had been stolen away by M'isil. He did not say C'Tresirr M'isil. No title to one who has dishonoured tradition so. He stood. Appearing contemplative. But in truth he was remembering Sh'ia. "My brother," he whispered, "this Day has Come. And your memory is with me." A sad memory. For also two years ago, he and Sh'ia had attempted to increase the energy output for the Ferasan colony on K'Grell, a planet in the Panthera System and D'Noria sector of the Delta Quadrant, where hardy members of his species had come to establish a new world. Some, like C'mrrir S'Pin, chose to come to begin a new way of life that excluded technology. Others, like himself, came to have the freedom of developing their own traditions. But this one, the ceremony of the C'mow, had never changed or been discarded. And Sh'ia had died in the attempt to obtain more energy from an asteroid. Because of his enemy, M'isil. He hissed softly. Then his acute ears heard the whine of the Starfleet transporter. His ears flickered and his nostrils twitched as their scents came to him on the morning breeze. "These are friends, and welcome," he said pointedly to S'Pin." He moved to the stone stairs to look down.

Nems Darkstar beams down with her crew as he materializes and begins to look around at everything he sees. Looks to Commander Rieko "Yes sir, of course, will stand alert, is always alert never knowing what can or could happen." Looks around at the gatherings and the surroundings around us looks so lovely here wonders if they will choose a new leader this time. Always thinking if that is a good idea or maybe a change is a good thing here.

Rieko looked around at their landing point, then said to the officers, "It is a pleasure to be here as ambassadors of goodwill from Starfleet. The Ferasen M'Grash will be made leader of New Ferasa today. I met him 2 years ago on a cold desolate asteroid. We rescued him, but his friend died before we arrived. You may have read all of this in the ship's logs." She inhaled and exhaled. "Anyway, today is a day of great celebration for M'Grash and all of New Ferasa. It seems we may have landed at coordinates a little away from where we should be... no one her to greet us." She takes out her tricorder and scans. "Ok, lets go....this way."

S'Prin listens to the aliens shuffling around on the path. His hearing is so precise that he can discern their breathing. They are standing behind one of the above-ground dens, built by hand from local materials. There are no artificial materials like plasteel or laser cutters in this colony. He wonders whether it might be time to walk down to the den and lead the newcomers up to the ceremony location. But he stands patiently at the top of the stone stairs, waiting.

Leni walked towards the strange pyramid shaped building, smiling as she crossed the stream, and headed into the rather agricultural structure. As the crops reached her knees she wondered if this 'gathering' was going to be that sort of thing, which seems a bit odd for a leadership challenge, but, people had their own ways and customs she had come to appreciate. Not fully appreciating the history between these people and Starfleet, a little before her time, but having read the brief was aware there was some which was favourable, so not too much to worry about there, she thought. Her musings however suddenly became more of a distraction as she mumbled "Hang on, am I going the right way here?" looking back down the rough path to see her crewmates not following. "Oh great, that's a good start!" as she hurries back.

<< While Commander Rieko and her Away Team attend the Gathering on K'Grell, Admiral Toocool gives orders for a circumnavigation of the Panthera System. She has Operations prepare a set of probes to be deployed at strategic locations. While there was nothing on sensors at the moment, her hackles were raised. >>

M'Grash: There was one difference that he had insisted on. Sh'ia had been his Second. And although tradition stated a C'mow ceremony should be conducted with the presence of a Second, he had refused to choose another. That place was Sh'ia's, and he would not allow someone else to take it. Not yet. Perhaps not ever. Again the memory of his longtime friend and near brother, caused a wash of emotion. How could one celebrate the attainment of a dream, when the one who had been closest - other than parents and family many parsecs away - was gone forever? He shook his head. But these, these friends from the USS Taylorholic Durant, he owed them much thanks. He was pleased they had come. "This way," he called to them.

Darkstar follows Lieutenant Commander Leni and Commander Rieko down the path to find someone to greet us. Looks puzzled, could have sworn that the coordinates were accurate... starts to walk up these long steps as he stops. At last, someone to greet us. Studies this creature in front of us. He Looks familiar...oh yes, it is M'Grash.

Rieko walks along the rough rustic path toward the area she can see people gathered. As they get closer she sees someone waiting to greet them. She turns to her officers and says, "Commander and Lieutenant, I want both of you to scan the area periodically, every 30 minutes or so, but no scanning when the ceremony starts or during it. After the ceremony, scan again. With all that was said in the briefing and with the Durant in contact with an undesirable group, we do not want to be caught unaware," As they arrive where the figure is standing on stone stairs, she said "Greetings from Starfleet and the United Federation of Planets. We will introduce ourselves to everyone when we are at the ceremonial area."

S'Prin looks at the Starfleet crew, wearing such bright colors. All of them seem strong and brave, loyal and honorable. He steps forward as they arrive, performing a respectful bow. "Explorers of Durant, thank you for answering the call. I am S'Prin,, the C'mrrir, or local leader, of this colony. Its name is New Ferasa. The colony was established in accordance with the ancient ways of the Ferasan. Chief among those ways is loyalty, followed by honor. We embrace the ancient Ferasan ways here, prior to the invention of electricity. You do us a great honor by attending this ceremony today. You have our gratitude."

Leni caught up quickly and tried her best to ignore the wrong turn as if it never happened at all. "Right, where are we headed Sir?" Then followed on behind as they went up some steps and met a Ferasan who led the rest of the way. Leni nodded politely to the Ferasan but didn't speak, but did return the bow not sure of the protocol here. Not having seen a Ferasan before up close in the fur so to speak she tried very hard to put her initial thoughts to the back of her mind where no-one would ever find them, including her!

M'Grash bows to the Starfleet team, his eyes flickering to Evelyn, she who reminded him always of the Sun. "I am honoured ye have come, to stand with me and by me, for the Gathering of my peoples." Then he gestured that they should follow him. He moved with catlike grace to the stones inset in the Earth and came to rest, turning to them. "Please make a circle." To Evelyn he added: "As you are my friend, and as you are the leader of the Durants for this Day, would you stand as my Second for this Ceremony." He gestured to indicate she should stand on his right side. He spoke then, in his own language of purrs and mews, which the universal translator managed to convey. "This Ceremony is conducted by C'mrrir S'Pin, a most honoured <prrrrr> prophetical Chief of the Rustic Ones. C'mrrir, I stand before you. <merowwwww> Humble. Asking forgiveness for any wrongs I have done. Cleanse me of the <prrr'irrr> Past so that I may walk afresh in this New World we are building." He bowed his head respectfully and then took down his hood, revealing his remarkably beautiful furry head.

Darkstar scratches his head as we follow the Ferasan up the long steps up to the gathering area. Hearing Commander Rieko as we walk together, "Yes Sir, will make sure to run scans."

Rieko nods, steps forward and takes her place next to M'Grash, "My friend, it is so good to see you again! I only wish Sh'ia were here as well. I am honored to be your second. This day will always be in my memory as one of the most honored and proud days of my life in Starfleet. Thank you." Then she quieted as she heard M'Grash begin the ceremony. She saw him kneel, then she looked around at everyone and then back at him. She did not know what the ceremony entailed. She hoped the second did not have to do some incredible thing. She would do her best.

S'Prin steps forward, taking his place at the ceremonial platform in front of the sacred circle. The Starfleeters post themselves in acceptable locations. He speaks the ancient words in the ancient Ferasan language. "This ceremony dates from before the time of recorded history, passed down in our <prrrt> tongue from grandfather to father to son. Here today in this sacred place we select a new C'mow, our mighty leader. The purity of the ceremonial oil..." (dabs a bit on M'Grash's forehead) "...symbolizes the purity of Ferasan blood. The strength of the bundled grass fronds..." (lashes M'Grash lightly on the head) "...symbolizes the strength and unity of the Ferasan people." S'Prin turns and removes an object from a box on the platform. "This necklace is the symbol of the C'Mow, the <prrrt> leader of Ferasans. Passed down from our ancestors, only worn by leaders. Some say that it has mystical powers, others do not. Before I place the necklace around the leader's neck, it is customary to ask whether anyone wishes to challenge his ascension to leadership. I do so ask that now of the assembled party."

Leni followed the M'Grash one and as requested, took her place in the circle requested. Having a vague idea of what a 'second' was in the forthcoming ritual, realised it was a significant honour being afforded to Commander Rieko. Hearing the Commander's instruction to scan, decides to wait until after the ceremony rather than have it look like we all want to scan everything we see as soon as we see it. Can't help a smile as the feline sounds transcend the universal translator and wonders if this could have happened on Earth had feline's there developed opposable thumbs like the Ferasan had done. She tries to focus as the ceremony begins.

M'Grash had asked Evelyn Rieko to act as his Second. Her words were appropriate. He was grateful she understood the Honor given. But as he bowed his head and waited for S'Prin to begin the Cleansing, his mind was again on Sh'ia. Would his M'cimrrr, his Brother-in-Spirit, be with him here today? "C'Tresirr Sh'ia, meowww prrr'irrr m'oweerr," he whispered as his head was touched with Oil. His whiskers quivered as the Fronds stroked his head, but otherwise he was unmoved, waiting. Waiting for a Voice to speak. A sliver of uncertainty passed over him. Would any object?

Darkstar stands intently to watch the ceremony. Don't think have been to a ceremony like this before. Listens intently. Suddenly his security team comes through his combadge. He is needed on the ship, there is a problem. He hates to leave this wonderful ceremony but he needs to protect all of the Durant crew. Bows his head and waits for the beam as he sees it. Disappears quickly.

/con't
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

Rieko feels very proud and humbled that M'Grash has made her his second for the Gathering. She hears the one called S'Prin speaking of a special necklace and asking if anyone wants to challenge M'Grash for leadership. She looks around the gathering of people and hopes no one steps forward. From what she knows of him, he is a most honorable man and deserving of the honor to become the C'mow. It will be the best thing that could happen to New Ferasa. Then her mind wanders to a log about Captain Kirk being a second to his XO Spock on Vulcan. At some point Kirk had to fight. She hopes that would not happen here, but it it does, if the second must fight with M'Grash, if there is a challenger or two, then so be it. But all remained quiet so far.

S'Prin listens for a challenge, not really expecting one. There had only been three challenges in Ferasan history. All three of them had ended up with the blood of the challenger splashed across the ceremonial platform. The only sound is that of the waves gently lapping at the shore behind him. After waiting an appropriate time, he smiles, baring his white fangs, and steps forward holding the necklace high above his head with both hands. "The challenge has gone unanswered. So let it be known that here before the gathered group, we select our new <prrrt> mighty leader, to be known from this day forward as C'Mow M'Grash." He places the necklace around M'Grash's neck and then steps back, bowing low. "I pledge my loyalty and my life to you, C'Mow."

Leni admires the statues as she stands as still as she can manage. Observing politely and following the proceedings well. Hearing the request for challenges makes her think of 'If anyone present should know of any impediment ...' Which makes her even more certain she doesn't draw any unwanted attention. Spreads out a bit to fill in for Lieutenant Nems, but gives up quickly as it takes more than one to make a circle. Can almost feel Commander Evelyn's pride radiating from her as she participates in the ritual.

<< On the Durant, Tactical reports one of the carefully laid probes has picked up an ion trail. At the very edge of its sensor range, a ship appears momentarily as it passes through the edge of a anomaly. "Mark those coordinates," Toocool orders. "Tactical, take us to Yellow Alert. Engineering, examine those sensor logs of the ion trail and alien ship. Identify. Helm, extrapolate probable course of that vessel." >>

M'Grash waits. After an age, S'Pin speaks. M'Grash straightens his head, accepting the placement of the traditional emblem around his neck. He waits for a moment, whispering again those same words to Sh'ia. Then he rises. "I accept your Loyalty and <rr'rrrir> Life, Grateful for the Grace of your Looking, Honoured by the Privilege of your Belief in me." He turned to Evelyn, and bowed to her, "Now I, with great Respect, ask <rr'rri> for your Pledge."

Rieko's mind went blank for a second... pledge... what had S'Prin pledged? She did not remember. And then she looks at M'Grash, into his eyes, and the words came from her heart. "From this day forward you are C'Mow M'Grash." She bows her head to him, then lifts it and continues, "No one can take the place of your true second Sh'ia, but this day I stand with you as your second as you attain your rightful and deserved position as C'Mow. I pledge my loyalty and my eternal friendship to you. I stand with you today and always."

S'Prin thinks back on the events leading up to this day. M'Grash and his second in command, Sh'ia, were sent to do scientific research on an asteroid. Sh'ia cut his hand and fell ill. Medicine had no effect, and they could not leave the asteroid because their shuttle was disabled. Desperate to communicate with the colony, M'Grash built a distress beacon, but no one on colony K'Grell answered the call. So Sh'ia died. But Starfleet heard the beacon, rescued M'Grash, and returned him to K'Grell. He told his story in public, and M'isil, the aspiring C'mow, was found responsible for sabotaging the shuttle. He was cast out of the colony in disgrace, and the Ferasan colonists supported M'Grash to become their C'Mow. He listens with some surprise as M'Grash asks for the Loyalty Pledge from the Starfleeters.

Leni discreetly checks her comms display, seeing the message from the Durant about another potential ship being briefly detected. Gets the impression the ceremony might be approaching its end, so waits before discussing with Commander Rieko. Her head rises and eyes focus back on proceedings when she hears of the request for a pledge, for a moment thinking the Commander was in trouble before realising it wasn't directed at her. Wonders if this sighting may be why Lieutenant Nems was called back, in which case that sounded perhaps more serious than the communication disclosed. Considers a scan again, but the moment just didn't feel right still. She then double takes and becomes confused about who was being asked to pledge what and looks concerned to the Commander."

<< 'Captain, Tactical and Engineering exchanged data. We confirm the ship we caught a glimpse of... is Romulan.'

The Helm officer turns and adds: 'Sir. We didn't see it for long. But the course calculated leads it directly to us.'

Toocool froze. A cloaked Romulan warbird, on an intercept course for the Durant. 'Contact the landing party. Execute a quick transport - aft shields down, beam them up. As soon as they are aboard, go to Red Alert. Helm, recommended course to put some spatial objects between us and that ship. Tactical, high intensity scans. Operations, prepare the deflector dish to emit tachyons.' >>

=^= Durant to Commander Rieko. Sir, requesting the Landing Party beam up immediately. Possible hostile vessel in vicinity. =^= >>

M'Grash bows again as Evelyn gives her Pledge. "I accept your Loyalty and <rr'rrrir> Life, Grateful for the Grace of your Looking, Honoured by the Privilege of your Belief in me." As he hears the message from the Starfleet ship, he nods his thanks to S'Pin and then says quickly to Evelyn: "Wait. Take me with you. If there is a threat here, I wish to be aboard the Durant and see it for myself. We can confer on how best to protect K'Grell. If that is permitted."

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

MISSION IMAGES
=============

Evelyn Rieko (Cmdr), XO/Chief Science

S'Prin, Cmrrir of colony New Ferasa ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Leni (Lt Cmdr), Science ((Leninah))

M'Grash, new C'Mow of colony K'Grell ((Poison Toocool))

Nems Darkstar (Lt), Security ((Knightspet))

The ceremony begins

The location of the ceremony

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”